George Karlaftis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

George Karlaftis

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
This is from Bleacher Report. He is one of my favorites in this draft, although I think a lock to be top 10 overall.

Many will be shocked to find Purdue's George Karlaftis on this list instead of Michigan's Aidan Hutchinson.
The Heisman runner-up deserves every accolade he earned last season with the Wolverines. But collegiate production doesn't always translate the way some envision it will. Evaluations are heavily based on traits. From that perspective, the Boilermakers edge-rusher holds an advantage.

"Karlaftis has exceptional potential and will already have some ways to provide value early on as he continues to develop," B/R scout Derrik Klassen wrote of the 6'4", 275-pound prospect. "As a three-year starter, he got better each season at Purdue, which should bode well for him unlocking himself further in the NFL. Karlaftis has the size, explosiveness and run-pass versatility to be one of the most disruptive players in the NFL in a few seasons."

When trying to differentiate between talent, some nitpicking occurs. In Hutchinson's case, questions about his bend around the edge will arise. On the other hand, Karlaftis is a complete edge-rusher and has the ability to turn the corner or bull-rush blockers. He's also quite capable of working at end or reducing down over interior defenders.

Klassen continued: "Aside from ideal length, George Karlaftis has just about every trait necessary to bloom into a star power-rusher. Karlaftis coils and explodes off the snap even without having to time the snap perfectly. In turn, he often gets the jump on opposing offensive tackles, opening up the floor for him to show off his relentless bull-rushing or array of hand-fighting tactics. Blend that together with the ability to change directions and get skinny much better than any player his size should, and Karlaftis lands in special territory as an athlete."

Franchises want a maximum return from a top-five draft pick. Karlaftis' upside provides more potential on the investor's return than Hutchinson's.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn’t agree with any of that. The ways Hutchinson wins translates better to the next level. He’s able to use his length to frustrate perimeter edge protectors and convert speed to power in order to literally put them on their backside.

Karlaftis appears to be a little stiff on film. Which is why if he got better, it didn’t show up in terms of production. Production went down over his career and it wasn’t due to dealing with extra blockers or double teams. Even his pressure rate went down. It looks to me like he has more trouble turning the corner and finishing because of stiffness.

I don’t think Karlaftis has the double digit sack potential that Ryan Kerrigan had coming out of Purdue a decade ago.

Id set my sights a bit lower, we might be drafting last in the first round.

That said, he is gonna be a special player imo.
Probably out of the range for Burke as well. I'll have to look at who is projected late first round.

I really like Aidan. I have seen a lot of him as my wife is a Michigan gal. When I thought we were picking middle of the first round, he was on my wish list.

To hear that he is a top 3 pick, though, he does not strike me as that type of player. Will he just be a Chris Long? I wouldn't go that far. I think he will be a good defensive end and far better than a journeyman like Long. But, if he is a top 3 pick in any draft, that tells you it's not a good draft at the top by any stretch of the imagination. And I am saying this as a guy who likes Hutchinson.

I do like Karlaftis. Maybe he is a tad stiff, but I like how he bends on the edge and he's got a great motor. I'd take him mid- first round, easily. If he slides to our pick for some reason, I think he'd be a very good pick (BPA philosophy). I am actually very interested in David Bell and I think he would be a great fit in our receiver room. It's a first for me to tout two Purdue guys as that's a program I dislike, but when it comes to the draft, gotta keep it real.

By the way, he has a younger brother, Yanni, who was also highly recruited. I haven't heard much of him since he joined Purdue so I am not sure if he is developing as nicely as George did at that age.

Last edited:
a guy I like in the 4th is Tre Williams

Back
Top Bottom