Get behind Jesse Davis

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by motormouthmaz, Nov 13, 2017.

1. motormouthmaz

motormouthmaz Rookie

im rooting for him hardcore the rest of the season. If he can emerge as legit RT that would save us 9.3 million next year and that would basically make up for cutler and we would be in the same cap position as originally thought before the tannehill injury.

2. DolfinJohnNY

DolfinJohnNY Active Member

I'm with you on that!!! We need SOMEONE to step forward & take over for one of our "average" players who are on or will be on fatty contracts.

3. Stoobz

Stoobz Scout Team Finheaven VIP

He'll have some mistakes/struggles but I hope his overall play is solid enough to keep him there.

Michael Scott, Ray R and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  4. DolfinJohnNY

I've been picturing DAVIS there from preseason on. I just can't seem him being that much worse that JAMES. Not saying JAMES has been bad either. DAVIS looks like a RT IMO. Gonna be watching him closely tonite.

Ray R likes this.
  5. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

it would be a nice surprise. we need the cap help

Ray R and Beach Bum 91 like this.
  6. Beach Bum 91

Beach Bum 91 Water Boy

I suppose his pass pro is most important, but it would be nice if he has a mean streak in run blocking.

7. jimlerario

jimlerario Well-Known Member

Juwan James was playing lights out before his injury. Does anyone have his PFF ranking?

Top 5 from what I remember.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Ray R likes this.
  8. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]
    I am with you Brother.

Ray R likes this.
  9. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Only in pass blocking. In run blocking he is horrible. Real weak.

Digital likes this.
  10. motormouthmaz

motormouthmaz Rookie

PFF is a joke for OLINE rankings

Ray R likes this.
  11. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

James has never played like a first round pick. He's being up and down like the rest of the O-line. 9 mill is way too much for him but to cut him lose it might take a settlement do to the fact the team picked up his 5 year option and now he's hurt so it's not that simple.

Ozzy rules!!

12. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

PFF has him as the 12th overall OT with a grade of 80.0. His run blocking couldn't have been that week or he'd be ranked much lower. I think he's in the upper 80's as a pass blocker...88 or 87, which would make his run blocking somewhere in the 70's. Incidentally Pouncey is 46.6 overall and rated the 27th best Center out of 34 or so qualifying Centers. He's consistently been in the 40's or lower for his run blocking.

That's if you believe anything PFF says.

Ray R, rickd13 and Michael Scott like this.
  13. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

Personally, I'd like him to play LT and move tunsil to LG

14. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

Some of you are wrong about James. I'm not referring to his draft status as a 1st round pick but his performance is above average. If we let him walk, we create another problem along the OL. If we need to fix the OL, Bushrod and Pouncey comes to mind but not James!!!

Ray R and Dakar001 like this.
  15. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

If a team had a left-handed QB James would be worth a 1st-3rd pick. Hes almost excellent in pass-pro but below average in run blocking. If Davis develops then................................

16. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Ja'Wuan James is a good right tackle and I think that we would be stupid to move on from him simply to dump salary.

He is a player who can easily be part of the solution to fixing this ongoing garbage OL, and certainly not part of the problem.

His run blocking has NOT been bad, I do not know what people are watching to say that?

Ray R, rickd13, Blancgary911 and 5 others like this.
  17. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I say we build a line around our tackles Tunsil and James. Tunsil looks average at LT because we stuck him at LG for a year so he kind of has to relearn the position of an NFL Left Tackle. James does a good job at RT and actually excels in pass blocking. We have to move on from Pouncey, just don't see the talent that I used to see. He was always over rated but now with bad hips he's about finished imo. Brendel looked good replacing Pouncey but we only have a small sample of his work on tape. The second half of the Atlanta game showed some very good work by Brendel. If we have an in house replacement for Pouncey that would be nice but we may have to draft a G/C type guy somewhere in day two. I'm kind of excited to see Ted Larsen at LG. He was supposed to be the guy on opening day, let's see what he's got. Maybe Davis surprises tonight and fills in for James easily. Maybe the o-line will have a good night tonight and lead us to victory!

Ray R likes this.
  18. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

But the problem is his injuries. This will be the 2nd time he'll miss the 2nd half of the year? Look at Pouncey and his injuries. I'm just sick and tired of counting on players that you can't count on to be out there. James is not a bad player thought he's not great either but he's no good if he can't stay healthy and that's been a big problem for our O-line. We need healthy players that you can count on and at this point you just can't count on him. The 5 guys need to be able to practice and play together in order for them to gel.

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R and Dakar001 like this.
  19. Rolltide03

Rolltide03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

This has to die sometime, Tunsil is not a guard

djphinfan and Ray R like this.
  20. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

OL guys get hurt. As long as it's not a chronic injury or degenerative issue...

Ray R likes this.
  21. datruth55

First off I don't think James is part of the problem and I think he can be part of the solution, just not at $9.3 million. If we can sign him for around $6 million a year I'm all for it.

Second, I've been looking around the league and it seems that O-lineman are getting injured more often now. No one plays with all 5 starters on the o-line for the entire season, a reason why depth is so important on the o-line and another reason the Dolphins front office has failed because our depth is bad. I agree with you and I'm just as frustrated when one of the starters go down, you especially don't want guys who end up on IR every year like Pouncey does. I don't know why there is an increase in injuries along the o-line though...maybe its the fact that they don't hit in training camp due to the CBA and when the season comes they're not ready for it. Maybe it's because DEs are smaller and faster like Von Miller or Mack and the OTs have to kick slide harder putting more strain on their hips, knees and groin areas...I don't know and I'm not sure how to fix it but I do know teams need to prepare for it.

Ray R likes this.
  22. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Davis now has an extended audition at RT. I honestly can't be sure about James. There have been comments in the past from the coaching staff about his consistency and willingness to accept coaching that concern me. However, if the coaching staff believe in him, I wouldn't want to go shopping for more linemen.

There will probably be another G/C drafted and another G/C signed in the FA period. I think Davis might be in line to compete at RG next year to replace Bushrod. Even without a starting job, Davis sticks because he's had experience at LT, RT, and LG. That kind of versatility sticks.

Ray R likes this.
  23. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

That 9.3 is guaranteed if James is still injured at the start of the 2018 season

24. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Football outsiders had us at 2.79 yards rushing avg when running behind
    our right tackle which was 27th in the NFL

But he has been decent in pass protection
    just sucks in run blocking

25. datruth55

What about running behind everyone else? How does he compare?

miamiron likes this.
  26. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

So what your saying if true, James will wait to the day before the 2018
    season starts for his surgery

27. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Tunsil is almost the same at 27th at 2.75 yrds avg
    Guards and center are together and are 30th in the NFL

28. datruth55

So basically James is below average but he's also our best run blocker by comparison to everyone else on the Dolphins o-line. Well...that's encouraging.

29. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

That kind of reminds me of a picture a friend of mine showed me once of about 12 girls......we looked real hard and at last said, "that one there is the best looking one in that picture".......she wasn't all that, the others were just worse. Same with James and our O-line imo. If we had a top Center and two top guards then James would be fine but when he's the best we have, it shows why our offense sucks

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R likes this.
  30. Digital

Digital Starter

I'm rooting for Davis. We let Ajayi go because of the sins of this putrid OL. IMHO, James simply has not done enough to justify his salary for next year. Jesse Davis may or may not be the answer, but it is clear that Ju'Wuan James is not the answer.

Stated plainly, our scouts need to be replaced. We repeatedly draft OL who suck and bring in FA's who either suck or spend too much time injured.

I'm rooting for Davis and hoping he proves serviceable. We absolutely need 4 new starters along the OL, is Davis a contender for a spot? How about Larsen? Will we get to evaluate Asiata?

Those are the questions I'm looking to answer the rest of this season.

miamiron likes this.
  31. DolfinJohnNY

Nor is JAMES a LT.

miamiron likes this.
  32. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

Well wouldn’t you have say having the weekest guard playing next to you. Might have something to do with the low rush behinds number.

Ray R likes this.
  33. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

I think common sense would indeed and I think most people here would also know that
    and wouldn't need a map to figure that out

Ray R likes this.
  34. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

Normally you want your LT's to be more athletic, the RT to be a big tough mauler. James isn't either one. The cap # is too high for 27th in the NFL. The problem is if we let him walk we create yet another hole we have to fill, with limited resources. We have needed guards for a full decade, and may have two guy's that can play there, who might eventually pan out if we can get 1 of them into the lineup to see what we have, and get the other off RT and put him at G. I hope Davis has a good game. He's had some good play's and some not so. I think he needs 'seat time' and I'd like to see Asiata play,you know, too 'see if he bites'. I also wish we hadn't red shirted (IR) Smith.

Ray R likes this.
  35. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Bushrod and Pouncey both blow chunks. I'm glad they'll both be gone after this season.

36. russdoe

russdoe Rookie

I think the James situation is exactly like when we gave Pouncy his last contract. We overpaid because we couldn't afford another hole on the line. We have seen some good play to hope for more improvement or hope injuries stop.

37. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

No offense, but until Pouncey is shipped out for injuries, I don't want any other player's injury history brought up as a reason to cut him. That argument won at the fan level last year for getting rid of Albert so Tunsil could be given his position.

We have a very bad habit of fixing what works and leaving broken pieces alone.

Granted the fans didn't make the decision, but as it were, they wanted Albert gone for being "injury prone". Pouncey is a walking injury but people cling to him because "the lines plays much better when he is calling pass protection". Ok, so go DRAFT A REAL CENTER and let's add some REAL competition to this problem and let's see if it is a lack of competition problem or if he is really "good".

Something tells me if we had a legit drafted C (Rounds 1, 2 or 3) backing up Mr. Glass his play would increase AND he'd stop getting injured. Then when he did get injured next, we'd suddenly have a real comparison for his "value".

Rarely do you have 1 or 2 guys on the OL who are great @ run blocking AND pass blocking. Typically, you can hide a weak pass blocking G. But you can't hide a weak pass blocking T. And you can run away from a weak run blocking T.

James' pass protection has been probably some of the best on our OL this year. And the knock on him previously was he had not performed at his rookie level since. Well, now he has. So, stop making holes we don't need.

Keep James AND Davis. it's bad enough we don't have enough quality starters. So, when we have the chance for depth you want to get rid of a starter?

James will come back on a team friendly deal. Instead of worrying about the fact we picked up his option, let's look at all of this an opportunity to extend him when we have the leverage to get a better deal.

Stop getting rid of the talent we have. Think differently. Problems are opportunities.

Ray R likes this.
  38. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

So how does someone stop from getting injured. You can play when your hurt, as all football players are hurting this time of year. Injured you are not playing and you can’t stop getting a injury.

39. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

Playing scared or comfortable, without concern from competition, can make a player more prone to injuries. Competition not only breeds the best results, it helps keep players motivated to play their best.

To quote a great movie: "Are you hurt or are you injured?"

The first is a mental ailment. The latter is a physical one.

40. Pitbull13

Pitbull13 Pitbull13

He's not a LT either