Gil Brandt-Tannehill keeping up with RG3, Luck, great article!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Oct 10, 2012.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000079074/

2. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Good article except the part about not having a Reggie Wayne or a Santanna Moss . Reggie Wayne is still a damn good receiver while Tannehill has two receivers as good as Santanna Moss right now in Hartline and Bess. Santanna Moss is not even a starter anymore he is a pure slot receiver. He is still a good player but he is totally a role player now and not even better than our weapons.

3. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Cool I respect Brandt's opinion

4. ROCHESTERPHISH

ROCHESTERPHISH Starter

great article!!!!
    gil has a great eye for talent!!

5. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

I was skeptical of picking Tannehill at #8 and at playing him this year. I am glad Tannehill is proving me wrong. I think Tannehill's progress has been truly impressive. As long as he limits turnovers he has shown he is a legit playmaker.

6. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Gil Brandt had the same kind of question marks about Tannehill, but the difference with Gil is he understands things like character and work ethic and how a player can succeed quickly in the pros while not neccessarily having big success in college.

So many players out there get overlooked based on what they did in college in a system where teams are brought together via a football program and its high profile and rankings where top players go to bigger schools and such. When you go into the pros, you are working with established teams, players. Its just different.

The fact that Tannehill comes in with same coach and system in Texas as your OC now, is just insane. It never happens. No wonder he has poise. He is a leader (unlike what Mike Holgren thinks).

7. steviey013

steviey013 A True Fan

When the Godfather speaks...I listen.

8. alex9249

alex9249 Rookie

I think tannehills doing better than luck imo

9. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

And now......The big question I had about RGIII is rearing it's head. Those concussions
    he takes are going to take a toll. That hit he took the other day is similar to more than
    a few I saw him take at Baylor. He's got to learn to run OOB.

10. wake vs wake

wake vs wake Active Member

Good read.

11. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

thats the only complaint one can have about griffin. all these other things acting like griffin is not a good qb are just plain silly and without merit

12. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

That's kinda my point. I love me some RGIII, BUT since everyone these days think concussions are the worst
    thing ever, there's a finite number of them the NFL is going to allow someone to take.

13. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Goon, the point is that there's already a finite number of concussions that a person can take without seriously messing up their brain -- and body.

Concussions have like this weird half-life -- where each successive one adds almost exponentially to susceptibility and potential danger.

Concussions, because they cannot be seen, have been dismissed fairly easily. But medical science is gradually overcoming football culture ignorance. FACT: Concussions are far more damaging to a person's life than blowing out an ACL or tearing a rotators cuff.

The fact that RGIII has already had multiple concussions is a red flag, no other way to put it. He's a phenomenal talent but needs to be protected. Otherwise he will shorten his career and life.

LD

14. Digital

Digital Starter

It's always good.to hear the things Brandt said. I respect him and his opinions.

BUT,

That article felt more like a fluff human interest story than an objective football analysis by Gilbert Brandt IMHO. The main knocks against Tannehill were his raw read and react skills from his dearth of starts at QB, his lack of production at crunch time against premier competition, and his tendency to stare down receivers. Brandt knows this but all he mentioned were tipped passes.

He further made it seem that football people were highly negative of Tannehill's first game against the Texans. Actually, most were very pleasantly surprised and thought there was a lot upon which to build. Unfortunately, Brandt leaves out all of this to write a typical heart-warming piece about a young QB. I would be more excited about Gilbert Brandt's praise if he had given us his full football analysis of Tannehill and it were positive.

15. ABX3

ABX3 Member

Having watched both RG3 and Tannehill in college, I fully expected them both do well.