Gillette No Debate Question: Which Player Performed Against All The Odds? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gillette No Debate Question: Which Player Performed Against All The Odds?

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/1/...estion-which-player-performed-against-all-the

"........As for the Dolphins' player who performed against all odds, I have two answers. The first is rookie quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Like Wilson, Tannehill was expected to sit this year, even though he had the advantage of being picked in the first round, and he is 6',4". According to the media, the Dolphins came into the year expected to completely fail. They had no weapons and would not win more than three games.Yet, the Dolphins went 7-9 under Tannehill, the first Dolphins rookie quarterback to start all 16 games for the franchise, and the rookie played well. He was overshadowed all season by first overall pick Andrew Luck and second overall pick Robert Griffin III, as well as Wilson, but Tannehill's performance was not bad, including setting several franchise rookie records.Tannehill's season stats were 282-for-484 (58.3%), 3,294 yards, 12 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 76.1 passer rating, 29 rushes, 211 yards, 2 touchdowns.I will also say wide receiver Brian Hartline beat the odd this year. With the Dolphins coming into the season with the "worst receiving corps in the NFL" Hartline emerged as the only threat the Dolphins had in the passing game. With opposing defenses actively game planning to keep Hartline out of the Miami passing game, the veteran wide out still caught a career high 74 passes for a career high 1,083. He only found the end zone once on the year, but he clearly out played any expectations of the Dolphins wide receivers............"

Do you agree? Discuss...:err:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill was OK. Maybe he couldn't have done too much better with what he had but on the flip side a few more mistakes and we would have serious concerns. I look foward to heading into next season with him. He wasn't all that great or that bad. Maybe he was expected to sit but he was the 8th pick in the draft, he was against a career backup and another QB with a shaky history.

Hartline over a 1,000 is about as good as you hope for. He was a suprise.

I'll throw in Jones, he had a great year and is the only one in the secondary that I care if they come back.

Wake got a career high 15 sacks despite playing alongside a Cuban pass rush (because they always arrived late-- zing!). If that's not against the odds, I don't know what is.

Reshad Jones.

Flashes last year, but this season under Coyle he really put it together.

Tannehill for sure. Coyle could get a runner up for having one of the top red zone defenses with this hodge podge of DBs.

hartline didnt surprise me, i actually expected over 1000 yards.....just expected at least half a dozen tds. but with no training camp or preseason, im pleasently surprised with his output. i think i said he'd hit 1000 before i knew he was gonna miss all the practices. as far as a starter i think we got about what we could've expected from tanne, nothing more, nothing less. if anyone else said they saw him being higher than a 50:50 td:int ratio they were prob fooling themself. and yardage right about on pace both rushing and passing for what we could've expected. wake is a pro bowl caliber DE so regardless of what he has lining up opposite of him we should always expect double digit sack seasons regardless of who is lined up on other side. even if we had a great pass rushing DE on the other side of him that requires a chip block wake is still gonna get held on one on one blocks and still not get the call. somethings gotta give there refs! bout the only person that really surprised me this year was jones. he seemed to always have a knack for the ball but never came up big, he came up big this year and really feel its best we extend him asap. even though with this front office they'll prob want to make sure this year wasnt a fluke and we'll easily overpay in 2014 to try to bring him back.

Back
Top Bottom