GINN - I hate this quote | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GINN - I hate this quote

OG54

Starter
Reaction score
"He's allowed to have playbooks and that kind of stuff," Cameron said. "He's coming here as a returner first. He'll need to do a lot of studying for that. And then a receiver and he'll learn. Like I said, we've been through this with other guys."

I am not a regular poster, but this makes my blood boil. I have to admit, I was not thrilled w/ the Ginn pick @ #9, but it grew on me. I know I did not want Quinn at #9. I was hoping Levi Brown dropped to us and when he didn’t I was hoping for Patrick Willis to come our way. But, by no means do you draft a returner at #9 and pay him #9 money! At #9, you need a guy that can come in and start at their drafted position, especially on a team that has not made the playoffs in years! I know this subject has been brought up a million timnes but I just could not keep quiet after the head coach stated that we drafted a kick returner at #9.

Here’s to hoping I am wrong about this and that his ability to give us the field position needed makes the difference in our games!

yea, i read that earlier, kinda ticked me off too, im with you though

its like he's preparing us not to see him do well as a WR

"He's allowed to have playbooks and that kind of stuff," Cameron said. "He's coming here as a returner first. He'll need to do a lot of studying for that. And then a receiver and he'll learn. Like I said, we've been through this with other guys."

I am not a regular poster, but this makes my blood boil. I have to admit, I was not thrilled w/ the Ginn pick @ #9, but it grew on me. I know I did not want Quinn at #9. I was hoping Levi Brown dropped to us and when he didn’t I was hoping for Patrick Willis to come our way. But, by no means do you draft a returner at #9 and pay him #9 money! At #9, you need a guy that can come in and start at their drafted position, especially on a team that has not made the playoffs in years! I know this subject has been brought up a million timnes but I just could not keep quiet after the head coach stated that we drafted a kick returner at #9.

Here’s to hoping I am wrong about this and that his ability to give us the field position needed makes the difference in our games!

Do me a favor. Please TRY to list 10 WR's in the last 10 years who were difference makers at WR their rookie years(1000 yards receiving)... when you get stuck at 6 put up a post that you overeacted because WR's take 2-3 years to blossom, and because ginn can come in right now and make an impact at returning while he's learning it's a Double ++....

yea, i read that earlier, kinda ticked me off too, im with you though

its like he's preparing us not to see him do well as a WR

Thats becasue few WR rarely do anything their rookie year....It's the second longest learning curve in the game behind QB...

Benny,

I am not arguing the point of whether or not he will be good in 2-3 years. My point is that u don't spend a #9 on a returner and even if u do, u don't tell your fans that's what u did. u tell them he will compete for a WR spot and make him beat out Booker, CC or DH.

i by no means am overreacting. i have waited over a month to speak up.

Do me a favor. Please TRY to list 10 WR's in the last 10 years who were difference makers at WR their rookie years(1000 yards receiving)... when you get stuck at 6 put up a post that you overeacted because WR's take 2-3 years to blossom, and because ginn can come in right now and make an impact at returning while he's learning it's a Double ++....

Agreed. And as Cameron himself said, he's been through it before with other guys, so I think we should trust his judgment until proven wrong.

I think you're reading too much into this..Ginn will be a ST person first as he learn his duties as a WR, Cam knows first year WR's don't do as well, as I'm sure we'll see Ginn in a lot of WR packages as the season goes by..but field position is a key element in football. Ginn is a WR on this team, and he will play that position, but he will start out starting as a ST player first, and backup WR until he learns the ins and outs of the position.

Well, he's got to start somewhere. I mean, he'll be counted on to produce in our return game immediately, whereas we're going to get him up to snuff on being a legitmate reciever in our offense. These things take time, he won't be able to go out there and run every pattern we have on day one - no rookie can. We're going to do everything we can to get the ball into his hands as soon as he's ready for it. In the meantime, we'll figure out ways to use him. Good, solid developmental plan.

He will be used as a returner this year.Obviously he was not drafted just to be a returner.His wide receiver skills will have to be developed.

Having said that I think he will be used in gadget or decoy plays to spread the
field.Hopefully he can stretch that intial role into something more.

I concur with those that wish Cam would stop referring to him as a returner.Its a poor choice of words IMO.

Benny,

I am not arguing the point of whether or not he will be good in 2-3 years. My point is that u don't spend a #9 on a returner and even if u do, u don't tell your fans that's what u did. u tell them he will compete for a WR spot and make him beat out Booker, CC or DH.

i by no means am overreacting. i have waited over a month to speak up.

Yeah, you are. They didn't spend a #9 pick on a kick returner. They spent it on a playmaker. Cameron was just being realistic with the fans. Ginn is fairly raw, but has upside. He will eventually be given the shot to beat out those wide receivers, but probably isn't ready yet.

You spend a top 10 pick on a player that will pay dividends for the next 10 years, not just this year. If he's as special as they think he is, a one year learning curve isn't going to kill us anymore than having a franchise QB learn on the job.

I think Ginn will get some decent time in there as a receiver this year. It all depends on how well he looks in practice and so forth. Cam will probably gradually work him in. Ginn will be asked to get really good at certain plays and leave the others for the veterans. They won't expect him to be good at everything as a rookie.

I think it might be a good idea to get him in there every now and then as a decoy. His quickness and speed will get respect from the DBs probably. It'll back em up. I think it'll just be a matter of trial and error with Ted this year. Pretty simple ... if Ted is making plays as a receiver, Cam's gonna put him back in there and try to keep it going. A lot of coaches just go with a "whatever is working" strategy more than you think ... you know, just "feed the stud" ... til the defenses make an adjustment and it doesn't work as well anymore.

Rookie will take time to grow into thier WR role. Normally at best they start as a NO 2

By reading this tell me that Cam wants hm to make in impact right away and that will as a return man, then he will grow into that WR role.

This would not concern me as much as him not being signed yet. Granted not many players are signed but you never know how hard it will be to get these young 1st rounders signed.

yeah baby that's for all of ya that jump on me when i keep on saying that why the we pick this kid at # 9

Tho I can see where the orginal poster is coming from. Eventhough there is a learning curve for a rookie WR. One that is taken in the Top 10 should be able to come in and be something special at the WR position.

I think alot of people dont like that quote is because for a No9 pick you want more than a Kick returner and maybe its not too much to think that a No9 pick, no matter what the position can be expected to contribute straight away not just on Special Teams.
Im ok if Ginn gets playing time at WR and contributes and by that i dont mean 1000yd seasons.

Back
Top Bottom