GINN - I hate this quote | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GINN - I hate this quote

Benny,

I am not arguing the point of whether or not he will be good in 2-3 years. My point is that u don't spend a #9 on a returner and even if u do, u don't tell your fans that's what u did. u tell them he will compete for a WR spot and make him beat out Booker, CC or DH.

i by no means am overreacting. i have waited over a month to speak up.

I wasn't trying to be mean or nothing, i was just trying to make a point. People who think that Rookie WR's will start on opening day, or "tear the league up" are just not looking at past histories because it just doesn';t happen all that much.

I understand that now more than ever 1st round picks need to come in and contribute right away, but i am honestly saying that ginn working as a returner, and then as the 3-4 WR will do more next year thatn he ever could if they just stuck him on the outside and told him to run some routes. If Ginn was "polished" and NFL ready he would have gone higher than 9, but he isn't so thats where we got him....

bottom line were talking about # 9 over all, out of almost 400 players i think, n ur going to tell me that he needs 2 or 3 years to make it happen? so how long is it going to take for the later rounds players to make it happen 4 or 5 years????????? come on i agree # 9 u better bring something to the team the time u come in to the team

Benny,

I am not arguing the point of whether or not he will be good in 2-3 years. My point is that u don't spend a #9 on a returner and even if u do, u don't tell your fans that's what u did. u tell them he will compete for a WR spot and make him beat out Booker, CC or DH.

I agree with you for now as Ginn smells to me a bit of the Jimmy Johnson drafting of John Avery a few years ago as a kickoff returner/ running back that never panned out. There is some difference as Ginn has been projected as a 1st round pick the past couple of years where Avery was not and those types of guys usually pan out in the long run. I also agree that WR's do not blossom the first year remember McDuffie whom was a pretty good punt returner his first year and a great receiver later. Ginn's size and injury has me most concerned though which when compared to McDuffie a converted RB turned WR was rarely injured until the end with his turf toe.
:err:

overall CAM needs to use him in a Reggie Bush type role. Ginn needs a minimum of 10 plays a game on offense where the ball is in his hands. if we are only using him as a kick and punt returner that is a complete injustice to the team and fans.

Benny,

I agree with you on the surface this has a bit of the smell of when Jimmy Johnson drafted John Avery in the first round as both a kickoff returner and running back that did not pan out. The difference though is that Avery was not projected as a 1st round pick and Ginn has been projected as one the last couple of years. Those types of picks usually work out in the long run. I also agree with the acessment that WR's take a while to develop. Remember McDuffie who was pretty good PR his first year and was a great receiver for the Dophins starting in his 2nd year. What does concern me more with Ginn more than anything else is his injury and size. If compared to McDuffie for example who was a converted running back turned WR McDuffie was bigger stronger and rarely got injured until turff toes ended his career.
:)

Calvin Johnson might end up being the only receiver from this year's draft who will be starting their season opener as a #2 receiver. There's plenty of top 10 in the draft receivers that need a year in the league before they get decent playing time and start producing good numbers.

You have to keep in mind that each NFL team probably has at least 1 receiver who's as good as or better than "the hot top 10 draft pick receiver" coming in. That is, until that new draft pick gets adjusted to the NFL game. Right now, Roy Williams is probably a better NFL receiver than Calvin Johnson by a pretty good margin. But Calvin will probably catch up pretty quick and might be the star #1 receiver in 2008. Roy might be moved to the #2 receiver position by then. Never know with Calvin though. He could be a Pro Bowler as a rookie. He's pretty amazing. He might be the Michael Jordan of wide receivers. Gotta wait and see once the season gets going. :D

Receivers like Calvin only come along about every 5-6 years or so. Calvin's coming in very polished already with T.O.'s size and 4.35 speed. That's pretty rare. At any rate, if Detroit's QB is any good, Calvin and Roy Williams are going to be a nightmare for DBs to cover this year.

Yeah, you are. They didn't spend a #9 pick on a kick returner. They spent it on a playmaker. Cameron was just being realistic with the fans. Ginn is fairly raw, but has upside. He will eventually be given the shot to beat out those wide receivers, but probably isn't ready yet.

You spend a top 10 pick on a player that will pay dividends for the next 10 years, not just this year. If he's as special as they think he is, a one year learning curve isn't going to kill us anymore than having a franchise QB learn on the job.

He isn't overreacting. Coach Cameron really needs to stop using "returner" when he refers to Ginn.

overall CAM needs to use him in a Reggie Bush type role. Ginn needs a minimum of 10 plays a game on offense where the ball is in his hands. if we are only using him as a kick and punt returner that is a complete injustice to the team and fans.

What Cam said in his quote was that Ginn will be a returner FIRST, then he will be worked in to the WR role. Ginn will provide an IMMEDIATE upgrade to the return game (both KR and PR), and be worked into the offense as Cam (and the rest of the coaches) see fit.

I do think that the Bush comparison is a good one, although I don't necessarily agree that he needs to get a minimum amount of touches each week. Ginn will be lined up in a lot of different positions on the field, from slot to flanker to halfback Ginn will be all over the field. It's likely that Ginn will have a smaller role in the offense early in the year, but his role will continually expand as a learns, similar to Bush last year. Calling for a minimun number of touches is unrealistic, but he will be on the field for a lot of the offense snaps this year, whether or not he is actually a starter.

Just wait until the first time he can go full speed with the pads on and listen to all of the other players and what they have to sat about him, that will tell the story.

And overreaction like this is why coaches try to say at little as possible. For all we know that means his first week here he focuses on returning and then after that works on WR. We don't know :rolleyes2

As a CPA, I present

offense = 33% of game
defense = 33% of game
special teams = 33% of game
(of course there is debate on these values, but humor me)

the return man (kickoffs AND punts) is basically the QB and RB and WR
of the special teams.

So, maybe, just maybe, this is great value to the team. Even if he
doesn't PLAY full time wideout.

I hear that the rest of the Ginn family is studyng the WR plays

so relax

Back
Top Bottom