Ginn's & Beck's Big Hands | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ginn's & Beck's Big Hands

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
According to a Rick Gosselin pre 2007 article discussing desireable physical measurements by position, a high prospect receiver's hands should measure at least 9 inches; Ginn's measures 10in.

As an aside, he also mentions that the minimum desireable QB height is 6ft3inches. Neither Beck nor Henne measure up but then again neither does Brees. But please read on when it comes to hands measurements.

Interestingly from the Walker Football Eval, I note that of the top 4 QBs drafted this year, Henne's hands at 9inches are the smallest . edit:but in Sportsline.com they're listed at a more acceptable 93/8th.. Whichever is correct, they're still smaller than Becks.

***For all the Beck critics who complain his hands are too small, in reality at 9.75 inches, they're actually larger than Henne's... and surprisingly Flacco's whose measure 9 5/8.
citation: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/406245
(under agility tests)

Walker link:
http://walterfootball.com/combine2008QB.php

excerpted from Gosselin's article, the whole of which makes for good reading.
Big hands catch on
Wide receivers come in all sizes. Pro Bowler Steve Smith is 5-9, and Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, the top receiver in the 2007 draft, goes 6-5, 239 pounds. But hand size is critical at this position.
Bigger hands translate to more reliable hands on draft day. Nine-inch hands are good, 10-inch hands are better. Johnson has hands that measure 9¾. Ted Ginn Jr. of Ohio State is six inches shorter (5-11) than Johnson but has bigger hands. They measure 10 inches across. David Clowney of Virginia Tech has 10¼-inch hands. He's 6-0, 188 pounds with 4.39 speed. The NFL loves his measurables.
Wideouts with small hands generally are moved to defensive back earlier in their football careers. The only cornerback on this draft board with 10-inch hands is Marcus McCauley of Fresno State (10¼).
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...elin/stories/040107dnspogosselin.3d58630.html

According to a Rick Gosselin pre 2007 article discussing desireable physical measurements by position, a high prospect receiver's hands should measure at least 9 inches; Ginn's measures 10in.

As an aside, he also mentions that the minimum desireable QB height is 6ft3inches. Neither Beck nor Henne measure up but then again neither does Brees. But please read on when it comes to hands measurements.

Interestingly from the Walker Football Eval, I note that of the top 4 QBs drafted this year, Henne's hands at 9inches are the smallest . edit:but in Sportsline.com they're listed at a more acceptable 93/8th.. Whichever is correct, they're still smaller than Becks.

***For all the Beck critics who complain his hands are too small, in reality at 9.75 inches, they're actually larger than Henne's... and surprisingly Flacco's whose measure 9 5/8.
citation: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/406245
(under agility tests)

Walker link:
http://walterfootball.com/combine2008QB.php

excerpted from Gosselin's article, the whole of which makes for good reading.
Big hands catch on
Wide receivers come in all sizes. Pro Bowler Steve Smith is 5-9, and Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, the top receiver in the 2007 draft, goes 6-5, 239 pounds. But hand size is critical at this position.
Bigger hands translate to more reliable hands on draft day. Nine-inch hands are good, 10-inch hands are better. Johnson has hands that measure 9¾. Ted Ginn Jr. of Ohio State is six inches shorter (5-11) than Johnson but has bigger hands. They measure 10 inches across. David Clowney of Virginia Tech has 10¼-inch hands. He's 6-0, 188 pounds with 4.39 speed. The NFL loves his measurables.
Wideouts with small hands generally are moved to defensive back earlier in their football careers. The only cornerback on this draft board with 10-inch hands is Marcus McCauley of Fresno State (10¼).
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...elin/stories/040107dnspogosselin.3d58630.html

Henne is nearly 6'3", close enough that it is not worth quibbling about.

I don't think stuff like that really matters. If people are good players then they're good players. Doug Flutie played pro football forever despite being like 4'2" and played well. On the other hand there are tons of guys with all the measurables who never amount to anything.

I can't imagine Don Shula measuring Bob Griese or Paul Warfield's hands back in the 70's and both of those guys are in the hall of fame.

peter kin said beck had small hands
as for hands biggest hands i ever saw in person randy moss and orenda gadsen WOW! BOTH OF THEM

I don't think stuff like that really matters. If people are good players then they're good players. Doug Flutie played pro football forever despite being like 4'2" and played well. On the other hand there are tons of guys with all the measurables who never amount to anything.

I can't imagine Don Shula measuring Bob Griese or Paul Warfield's hands back in the 70's and both of those guys are in the hall of fame.

While this is true and all, let's not forget that these smaller guys who make it into the NFL find their niche and their possitives outweigh their negatives.

Can you imagine Flutie trying to be a pure pocket passer? Take away his mobility and he doesn't even belong on the field with those big *** guys.

:lol::sidelol:

Drafting via excel spreadsheets is what the Raiders do.

The bottom line is can he play the position at a high enough level to justify his paycheck.

and now lets finish it by sayin henne never had a fumbling problem at michigan while beck was worse then c pep last year, so what does this mean ....NOTHING

people equate fumbles with small hands, regardless of the facts.
I never did it says becks hands were bigger then henne's therefore the logic of how big your hands are matters means nothing for a qb. cuz anyone with eyes knows beck fumbles way to much

and now lets finish it by sayin henne never had a fumbling problem at michigan while beck was worse then c pep last year, so what does this mean ....NOTHING

but then again Beck didn't have Jake Long last year and Henne wasn't under center for one of the worst pro teams in the last 10 years..

Not saying fumbling hasn't been a problem for Beck. It has, as it has for hamhanded rookie Russell too. However more pertinently, Beck's most strident critics point to his "small hands" as the physical reality he's gonna have to live with and work around. Instead, the dispelling of this myth means that it's a problem well WITHIN Beck's power to work on and fix rather than having to compensate for.

2duh40i-1.jpg

Didn't Marino also have small hands?

Back
Top Bottom