Good first impression from Dolphins’ young corners | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good first impression from Dolphins’ young corners

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
A few Dolphins notes on Memorial Day, with OTAs resuming Tuesday and one of three OTAs this week open to reporters (on Wednesday):
• The development of the Dolphins’ young cornerbacks will be critical this season, and we like what we saw in the first practice open to the media on Thursday.
Xavien Howard was very impressive, knocking away a Ryan Tannehill pass to Jarvis Landry and then making a strong play on a Kenyan Drake run for minimal gain.
We also liked what we saw from Tony Lippett, who had a pick-six (off David Fales) and swatted away a pass to MarQueis Gray.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article153283579.html

Interesting that he said his biggest concern is defense tackle and he saw nothing behind Suh. What does that mean about Jordan Phillips? How exactly is he practicing? Does he look better this year, worse or the same. It's still way early but he really didn't elaborate much beyond mentioning Phillips up and down play.

I agree that the DT position behind Suh is underwhelming. Been saying that for a while and apparently the Dolphins don't feel a need to address it. I'm not sure how they think they'll improve the run defense with only one good DT on the roster but it is what it is.

I agree that the DT position behind Suh is underwhelming. Been saying that for a while and apparently the Dolphins don't feel a need to address it. I'm not sure how they think they'll improve the run defense with only one good DT on the roster but it is what it is.
Agreed this position is a bit overlooked but like the article read I am interested what the rookies can do I have been reviewing their predraft and draft status and both appear to be decent bargains for where they were picked. Both appeared to be stronger on their pass rush skills compared to run stopping. The Oklahoma kid I believe was a bit stronger against the the than the kid from LSU. I think both slid in the draft with I belive the LSU kid because of a domestic violence charge. The thing about the DT position is it the quickest transition area for players from the college to the pros. So we should know soon.

What are you talking about, they drafted 2 back to back!!!!

I really believe Howard turns into a great player.

He seemed to just have "it" last year. (Hardest position besides QB to be a rookie and he did very well)

Big, strong, physical, fast, quick laterally, has catch up speed, uses his length, etc..

I think he and Cordrea are going to be our future 2 starting Cbs.

I loved that pick. To think we would get a CB of his caliber in the third just shows the depth of this draft.

We're so much better off in our Secondary it's insane.

Howard, Jones, Mcdonald, Maxwell, Lippett, McCain, Allen, Cordrea..

Howard will quickly become a fan favorite IMO.

We definitely got better through the draft.

Seemed like the best back to back drafts in a long long time!!

PHINS UP to a great season ahead!!

Agreed this position is a bit overlooked but like the article read I am interested what the rookies can do I have been reviewing their predraft and draft status and both appear to be decent bargains for where they were picked. Both appeared to be stronger on their pass rush skills compared to run stopping. The Oklahoma kid I believe was a bit stronger against the the than the kid from LSU. I think both slid in the draft with I belive the LSU kid because of a domestic violence charge. The thing about the DT position is it the quickest transition area for players from the college to the pros. So we should know soon.

Only the elite DTs transition smoothly and quickly to the NFL. That's neither one of the DTs the Dolphins drafted. It took Soliai 3 years before the light came on and he was a 4th round pick, we're still waiting to see something from Phillips and he was a 2nd round pick. I highly doubt we'll see anything from the rookie DTs this year unless the Dolphins got lucky.

DT's typically take awhile to develop... quick transition? What the heck?

Reading the tea leaves appears Lawrence Timmons has the inside track at strong. Of course Koa hasn't been cleared yet.

Would seem to also indicate that Raekwon is the plan a mike

Koa could find himself cut cause I don't think he plays specials. Although he's dirt cheap now. Given the price I'd carry him provided he's cleared for medical at least as strong depth

What are you talking about, they drafted 2 back to back!!!!
I did not say it was over looked by the staff, I said I agreed it is overlooked which it has in many of the forum threads. If you had continued reading the thread instead of just commenting right away my entire post was exactly how each player was evaluated in the draft.

Only the elite DTs transition smoothly and quickly to the NFL. That's neither one of the DTs the Dolphins drafted. It took Soliai 3 years before the light came on and he was a 4th round pick, we're still waiting to see something from Phillips and he was a 2nd round pick. I highly doubt we'll see anything from the rookie DTs this year unless the Dolphins got lucky.
There is much less for a DT to learn than other positions from college to the pros.

really like howard, and like lippett. i dont see the clemson kid getting much pt. DT is a concern imo as well. we need to add another vet. hayes moves inside some for us, especially on passing downs, but im not sure what they are expecting out of the rookies. atleast the lb corp is better. and have to stay health at both safety positions

There is much less for a DT to learn than other positions from college to the pros.
the big difference is the speed and strength of the lineman they will face. i agree it is not as difficult as most positions but still going to take some time. hopefully its quick

Howard has the frame and "dog" in him enough to be a future pro bowler.

I see exactly what you're seeing.

He doesn't fear anyone no matter what.

He's not afraid to put his body on the line to make a tackle although I think he's easily our best tacking corner already.

Even when Watkins scored that long Td on him, he didn't put his head down but instead forgot quick and got back on top of things. (Perfect attribute for a corner and can't be taught)

I see a pro bowler at the very least.

He's the next great corner IMO.

Wait until Jones is back to lend a hand!!!

If he ends up getting better (which is going to happen naturally), I see that draft class as the best in 20+ years.

Tunsil, Howard, and Drake!! That's how you pick talent and fill needs.

Props to the FO!!!

Back
Top Bottom