Goodbye...So Long...Fare Thee Well... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Goodbye...So Long...Fare Thee Well...

WharfRat

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We all know by now that Ricky is tuning his back on football, and the Dolphins.
We all feel the resentment, the dispair, the betrayal. We all wonder why and how someone like Ricky Williams can toss away all that God given talent, and how he can waste what would have been an illustrious career. I know I'm not alone in feeling the anger at what he's done... to wait until the worst possible moment to make this irresponsible move. It's not his decision to retire that angers me... it's the timing. The Dolphins have been very good to him, and for him these last couple of years, he couldn't have done a better job at showing his lack of appreciation, or loyalty. I can only stand here and shake my head. Is the season completely lost? Well... perhaps, perhaps not... we all have to wait and see. Is griping about Ricky the purpose of this seemingly redundant thread? No.

This all comes down to why I, and those like me, are fans. It hurts the TEAM. I, like so many of you, am a fan of the Miami Dolphins. First and foremost. Have I been a fan of Ricky? Heck yeah! who among us hasn't? However, it's been because he was a Dolphin that I was a fan of his. I've heard this statement many times, by many members of this site:

"I'm a fan of the team, not just a player"

THAT statement is why I created this thread... something I don't often do.
The fact that Ricky is gone, has but ONE single positive outcome that I can see in the near future. That is that the bandwagoners, the fans-come-latley, the people who "became" Dolphin fans because of Ricky... will finally pack up their carpet bags, and head off to a different team.
This will thin the crowd... the true fans remaining... those that were not true fans will dissapear into the woodwork as fast as they came.
For all his alledged negativity, and controversial posts on this site, there is one member here who IMO stands out like a beacon... a posterboy for fans, if you will... A shining example of someone who will always remain true to the TEAM, no matter who is running the football... is Fin-atic. Fans like him, while not always popular in their views (Lord knows, I haven't always agreed with him), will be the LAST people to stop being a fan, because one bone-headed superstar called it quits. ( hate singling anyone out... but this guy really is a die-hard fan...sorry Fin-atic)
Others... and I'm sure we'll all see who they are... will simply find another team to root for. To them, I say Good Riddance. It will be nice to not have those "fans" around anymore...
As for me... I've been a Dolphin fan since long before Ricky Williams was born... and will continue to be a Dolphin fan until the day I die... no matter how good, nor how bad the upcoming season looks, I'll always have hope, I'll always cheer them on, and I'll always wear my Aqua and Orange with pride.
Those of you who are of the same mind... stick around, we have a LOT to talk about, wonder about, and hope for...
Is the title of this thread directed at Ricky?... no...it's for those that aren't with us... the bandwagon stops here... time for you to get off... and stay off!

Such a true article, very nicely written!

I'm mad about Ricky, of course, but once the initial shock left I could put this into true perspective. One player doesn't make a team, and as important as Williams was, this can't kill us.

I'm optimistic this will make our beloved Dolphins stronger.

Same as you, I was a die hard Dolphins fan before Ricky, and I'll be one after and until the day I'm cryogenically frozen. I'll wear my jerseys with pride ( not 34, nope, I'm getting 84), and I'll support the Phins just like always.

Great read.

The fact he cut his dreads shows he is not altogether with us.

The "Rat" speaks the ultimate truth!!!

Let's Go Miami!!

DallasDolfan said:
The fact he cut his dreads shows he is not altogether with us.

The "Rat" speaks the ultimate truth!!!

Let's Go Miami!!
Thats such a cool avatar. :roflmao:

Miami is all amped about the Shaq signing. Maybe ricky thought this was a good time to weasel out of town. He thought everybody would be distracted. Ive been a dolphin
fan for 13 years. i love them and i hate them. i think thats how any real dolphin fan feels about them. but ive never seen this team like this before. its like a circus. except the clowns are running the show.

Well, I guess saying the offense is going to be totally revamped is an understatement. New OC, new QB, whatever new RB. Um, change is good?????????? Sigh.

WharfRat said:
We all know by now that Ricky is tuning his back on football, and the Dolphins.
We all feel the resentment, the dispair, the betrayal. We all wonder why and how someone like Ricky Williams can toss away all that God given talent, and how he can waste what would have been an illustrious career. I know I'm not alone in feeling the anger at what he's done... to wait until the worst possible moment to make this irresponsible move. It's not his decision to retire that angers me... it's the timing. The Dolphins have been very good to him, and for him these last couple of years, he couldn't have done a better job at showing his lack of appreciation, or loyalty. I can only stand here and shake my head. Is the season completely lost? Well... perhaps, perhaps not... we all have to wait and see. Is griping about Ricky the purpose of this seemingly redundant thread? No.

This all comes down to why I, and those like me, are fans. It hurts the TEAM. I, like so many of you, am a fan of the Miami Dolphins. First and foremost. Have I been a fan of Ricky? Heck yeah! who among us hasn't? However, it's been because he was a Dolphin that I was a fan of his. I've heard this statement many times, by many members of this site:

"I'm a fan of the team, not just a player"

THAT statement is why I created this thread... something I don't often do.
The fact that Ricky is gone, has but ONE single positive outcome that I can see in the near future. That is that the bandwagoners, the fans-come-latley, the people who "became" Dolphin fans because of Ricky... will finally pack up their carpet bags, and head off to a different team.
This will thin the crowd... the true fans remaining... those that were not true fans will dissapear into the woodwork as fast as they came.
For all his alledged negativity, and controversial posts on this site, there is one member here who IMO stands out like a beacon... a posterboy for fans, if you will... A shining example of someone who will always remain true to the TEAM, no matter who is running the football... is Fin-atic. Fans like him, while not always popular in their views (Lord knows, I haven't always agreed with him), will be the LAST people to stop being a fan, because one bone-headed superstar called it quits. ( hate singling anyone out... but this guy really is a die-hard fan...sorry Fin-atic)
Others... and I'm sure we'll all see who they are... will simply find another team to root for. To them, I say Good Riddance. It will be nice to not have those "fans" around anymore...
As for me... I've been a Dolphin fan since long before Ricky Williams was born... and will continue to be a Dolphin fan until the day I die... no matter how good, nor how bad the upcoming season looks, I'll always have hope, I'll always cheer them on, and I'll always wear my Aqua and Orange with pride.
Those of you who are of the same mind... stick around, we have a LOT to talk about, wonder about, and hope for...
Is the title of this thread directed at Ricky?... no...it's for those that aren't with us... the bandwagon stops here... time for you to get off... and stay off!

Nice post. Thanks for that. It was a good read. I'm proud to say I am a Dolphin fan for life. Through good and bad times. There is simply no other football team that fits me.

what we fail to remember as Dolphin fans is that we had 7 (?) good seasons. I'm sure Cardinal fans would die to have our team, and watch it dismantle like this. We've been spoiled for years, and like all good teams in the NFL, they have to regroup sometime.

This is what Wayne gets for hiring Wannstedt and let him have control of personnall and going after a FLIGHT RISK and a BASKET-F-ing-Case.

What Ricky did was selfish, immature, and just plan, wrong. As a child, I was taught if you are part of team, you do not let your team down, if you are suppose to showup for a game, a practise or whatever, you do it, because you were part of something and it wasn't right to let them down. I am sure what ricky is doing is what is best for him, and seems thats the way most people see the world these days, its all about me and what you can do for me, and throw them away when they don't benefit you anymore. Ricky used the dolphins and threw them away when he was done, with them. Eddie George left the Titans this week, and if Ricky would have given us the common courtesy of retiring, at the end of the year, before the draft or atleast last week, we could have replaced him, he has left us in bad spot, and if you are fan of his, you shouldn't be, he is setting a horible example, and I always thought he was one of the better guys in football. Those of you who have kids, please teach them the value of being part of team it should mean something, and things like this won't happen in the future.

Back
Top Bottom