Goodell: NFL looking at cutting commercials, other changes to speed up games | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Goodell: NFL looking at cutting commercials, other changes to speed up games

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Hal-le-freakin-lujah! I have been saying for years it is totally ridiculous how many commercials are played during games. Fumble-go to commercial, Interception-go to commercial, 3 and out-go to commercial, any kind of return-go to commercial, and on and on.:hsmash:

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said during his annual pre-Super Bowl press conference that the NFL is examining how to keep games moving — and retain TV viewers — and expects some changes to be implemented for the 2017 season.
Among those changes are a potential reduction of TV timeouts from five per quarter to four. The NFL experimented with that in Week 16 of the 2016 season, and Goodell said the league is also studying how replays and replay challenges are processed, as well as how quickly teams return to the field following mandatory stoppages and TV timeouts.
“There are a number of things we think we can shorten the management of the game, to focus less on stoppages and more on action,” Goodell said.
Goodell said that, based on early input, the NFL is “leaning very heavily” towards reducing the number of commercials and expects “to see a lot of changes this offseason” in regard to the length of games.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-commercials-other-changes-to-speed-up-games/

Oh, wow. They're cutting it down from five (!!!) completely unnecessary TV timeouts per quarter to just four? Wow!!! Thanks, Roger!

DO you think they could do something about the college game lengths...

Starts at 8:15...you are there until after midnight.

The absolute worst TV timeouts come with a change of possession followed by some sort of time stoppage - i.e, a team punts near the end of the 1st quarter (lets say under 30 seconds) and a 3-4 minute TV timeout is taken. After the break the team that now possesses the ball runs one play that rolls the clock to the end of the quarter, prompting another TV Timeout. You got about 5 seconds of football with 10 minutes of commercials. Its absolutely unnecessary.

I'd also say eliminate all TV timeouts after the two minute warnings in the 2nd and 4th quarters - keep the game rolling, regardless of outcome.

Worst thing in sports is when one team scores. Do the extra point and go to commercials. Come back do the kick off and most of the time it's a touchback. Guess what we are doing now? That's right let's go back to those commercials.

Nothing worse then that. Whoever came up with that strategy for annoying their audience should be shot!

I never realized it was five per quarter, but I know it's a lot. So that means if you have a quarter where there are not many breaks, they have to take a bunch at the end, just to fit them in.

NFL games are an hour of action compared to 3.5 to 4 hours of broadcast. That has to be the worst ratio professional sports. Now I do think that the non-action part of the game -- replay, coaches and quarterbacks arguing about what to do -- is more interesting than watching tennis players towel off between points, but still. There's a limit to how interesting instant replay is and they've gone way over it.

Believing what goodell says is like thinking a stripper likes you. It's never true and you always feel like an idiot after. And a shower.

Back
Top Bottom