Goodell pressuring Miami to make stadium renovations before getting a Superbowl again

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SkapePhin, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

2. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

He originally used the weather excuse, but then the league approved a Super Bowl up in New Jersey at Giants Stadium and the weather could be even worse than during our last Super Bowl.

Goodell is is a buffoon.

3. MarinoEqualsGod

MarinoEqualsGod The man, the myth, the legend

F Goodell.

4. MarinoEqualsGod

MarinoEqualsGod The man, the myth, the legend

Or in the words of X-Pacolypse...

Goodell sucks.

5. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

The super bowl came to miami in 1968 and has been there 10 times, the most for any city. all of the sudden weather is the issue. not buying it.
    this article from last Jan.http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/p...-proposed-hotel-tax-dolphins-stadium/138044/1

6. ahmilli

ahmilli Rookie

What a joke.

7. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

What is funny is the NFL made a huge deal because it rained during the Colts/Bears Super Bowl in Miami. They said for Miami to have future Super Bowls(past the Colts/Saints Super Bowl) that they would need some sort of roof so it didn't rain on the fans again. Then they turn around and hand the Super Bowl to New York in a stadium without a roof and that could see it snowing on the fans. What a joke.

8. yardlaw

yardlaw Well-Known Member

Not to mention in Dallas last year the streets were iced over, this year it's cold in Indy also. The Super Bowl experience is also about the the experience of the entire week of the fans fortunate enough to attend, not only the big game.

I'd much rather be watching eye candy on the beaches of SFLA than freezing my azz off in a city with a dome. Wake up Goddell!

9. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Goodell is an extortionist who's in the pocket of some select owners including Kraft, Johnson and Rooney. They caught a break this year with unseasonably warm midwestern weather. I've lived in Mpls in the winter and IMO, despite the domed stadium, just getting around and conducting business outside during a typical midwestern winter is a buzzkill...and as with NY, involved some sort of quid pro quo con$ideration.

10. dtjp17

dtjp17 Well-Known Member

We need new concessions they suck at teh stadium. the club concessions should be throughout the stadium on all levels.

11. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

Or you guys could just be realistic and realize that Miami's stadium is pretty ****ty compared to the other stadiums, even outside of the whole dome/no dome thing

12. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Screw renovations.. Ross needs to demolish that stadium and biuld brand new. Its a DUMP!

13. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

I have hated that stadium ever since it was built. The seats are set back 10 miles from the field which is really stupid for a football stadium. Look at all the other great fan friendly stadiums in the NFL that are loud because fans sit so close to the action. Our stadium design simply sucks big time.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

What should have been done is the Orange Bowl should've been completely renovated and we should've stayed there. That place rocked!!!

14. DefensiveEnd76

I'm surprised that every Superbowl isn't held at Gillette Stadium since Goodell is in Robert Kraft's pocket. I fricken despise Goodell. The man is a total idiot.

15. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Unfortunately, Joe Robbie didn't have only football on his mind when he approved the design for the stadium. He knew MLB wanted to expand into Florida and he wanted the stadium to be able to accomodate both football and baseball with minimal renovations.

16. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

Good News. I wish they'd pressure Ross into building a new stadium.

Why is pressuring our billionaire owner into renovating our stadium a bad thing? Someone please remind me....

17. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I tuned in to Goodell's address late but I'm glad I caught the question about Miami hosting future Super Bowls. My impression is Goodell was much more pointed and negative toward Miami's chances than ProFootballTalk indicates in that article. When he said he was confident Miami will host them in the future I think it meant distant future, in another venue.

It wasn't hard to handicap his comments that way. Goodell went out of his way to emphasize the Miami is being left behind, that it's a great site to host the event but the event is growing all the time and will continue to do so, with the league determined to accommodate that growth. He talked about the new wave of superior venues, including Indianapolis.

In other words, Mike Dee's impression that a patched Dolphin Stadium meets the "minimum requirements" to host a Super Bowl is short sighted and moronic. I emphasized that in another thread last night. A commissioner who alters the core of the game in regards to passing rules, expands Thursday night games, hints at London expansion, makes radical changes to postseason overtime rules, moves the kickoff line, penalizes defenders for hits that were ordinary years ago, and has already demonstrated an enthusiasm to take the Super Bowl to new sites regardless of climate is not someone who you apply old standards to evaluate. We're Miami so all we need is a 6-10 stadium. Dee's comments in that Herald presser were among the most ignorant and overmatched in franchise history. If he's fooled, the county commissioners and anyone else with a role in the process will not be.

If the Dolphins want to waste hundreds of millions in plastering an already outdated and always pathetic stadium in a snooze area, let them do it solo. The league will most likely laugh. And tax payers are already chuckling.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

The Superdome was recently renovated.

The SB rotation should be:

Miami
    SD
    NO
    maybe Houston

Those top 3 should host at least every 4-5 years.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

If all goes well w/ the Meadowalnds SB in Feb '14 I guarantee you Gillette will get a SB at some point.

20. DphinBillkiller

DphinBillkiller Touchdown

I wouldn't be opposed to a new stadium. Good for the city, the fans and the economy.

21. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Be careful what you wish for. The new Stadiums are a million times worse than what you guys have now. New buildings are built for the corporate fan not the real fans. Your Stadium is a MUCH better football Stadium than ours is and ours is brand new and cost almost $2 billion

22. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I hate Goodell so damn much, but we could use some upgrades. I don't see a new stadium until some more success though

23. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

I don't think we need renovations to host a Super Bowl. I would be for it in general but not as a requirement to host the SB.

24. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

Goodell has basically said if you don't upgrade you won't get the SB.

25. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

SD has the worst stadium in the league. I have seen high school stadiums nicer than Qualcomm.

26. nyjunc

nyjunc A True Fan

which is why they aren't getting a SB any time soon but if they do renovate again or get a new building like they are trying to they will get SBs regularly.

27. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Qualcomm in San Diego is facing the same issue. About 3 years ago the NFL told San Diego that it would not host another Super Bowl until "The Q" was replaced with a more modern stadium. You think Sun Life needs to be replaced, you should see Qualcomm. That mess is 20 years older than Sun Life! The atmosphere (city, weather, location) is good, but the stadium itself is a clunker in terms of NFL stadiums. It only cost 27 mill at that time, which equates to about 175 mill in 2012 dollars. Problem is the city is facing a cash issue and there have been numerous talks of having the Chargers relocate to the LA area.

28. DefensiveEnd76

I wish we would've kept our history intact by totally refurbishing the Orange Bowl. That place should still be our home, now and forever!! Stupid that our history and team nostalgia was torn down.

29. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I'm still trying to figure out how the Dolphins ended up with a team president and CEO who thinks the word minimum fits nicely into discussion of the Super Bowl, let alone winning a bid to host it.

30. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

The Cubans on the Miami Dade City/County Commission are easily bribable...

The Marlins stadium is gonna end up costing the taxpayers of Miami Dade some $2.5 billion over the next 40 years...

Corporate welfare is ok to these owners but helping ordinary folks...not so much...

31. Pat-London

Pat-London A True Fan

and to think that London is being speculated as a future SB site... oh and it just happens to be -4 here at the moment.

32. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

taxpayers should not be footing the bill for a bunch of millionaires and billionaires. The one thing I truly hate about sports. Its like they are the only industry where they feel the taxpayers should insure they always make a profit. With all of the money that football generates for itself they could fund their own stadiums which they should.

33. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I hate it when I see someone classify people, and bunch them by their nationality , the Italians, the Irish, now the Cubans...amazing. :rolleyes2:

34. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Is Sunlife really that bad?..For the 1st time in my 37 years this past year i was in Ft Lauderdale and caught a Marlins game..The stadium didnt look that bad to me and im in the commercial construction industry.

Guess you guys havent seen Bills stadium?..Wow its bad!!

I can definitely see when they play football in the stadium that you are not as close as a Regular Football stadium seats you though.

35. poppy

poppy Seasoned Veteran

They have to renovate the lowerbowl to get it configured to Football specs (closer to the field). If this pushes them to do it, I'm all for it.

36. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I think the team that has the best overall record after winning the AFC or NFC Championship game should host the SB. The fans of this team should also get 50% of the tickets...even if they have to put the game in Green Bay. It's football....why do teams play in crappy weather in December and January, but the SB has to be in either a warm weather city or indoors?

37. TakeoSpikesNeck

TakeoSpikesNeck Well-Known Member

It's actually been really nice in Indy. 60 degrees

P.S I rather be snowed on than rained on

38. CedarPhin

CedarPhin Finheaven Hall of Shame

We're probably gunning for Manning in an attempt to win now/sell lots of tickets/make lots of $$$ to build a new stadium with.

39. jlfin

jlfin old pro

He's Robert Krafts' lap dog

40. PHANTASTIC13

PHANTASTIC13 Well-Known Member

Two ways I see this stadium thing shaking out...
    First one is Ross renovating the stadium and dropping the field about six or ten feet and adding more seating and put the fans closer to the action, thus giving it a more intimidating atmosphere to play in for opponents.

Second, is to build a new one and Ross will split the cost with the tax payers using a sin tax on beer and smokes to help pay for it. Who cares if you pay an extra 50 cents for smokes or a six pack if you can enjoy a brand new stadium.

41. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

Yeah, the way they do it now has been such a failure that they should do that...

42. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

The problem is you are charging people that will never be in the stadium that money. I dont support taxpayers paying for a stadium that they make no money from. Now if the dolphins and stadiums profits are paid back to taxpayers that is a different story but that never happens