Grading last years draft....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by paulomac77, Jan 6, 2007.

1. paulomac77

paulomac77 Hoosier Fin Fan

Looking back at last years draft what would u grade Sabans last draft...

Round 1 Jason Allen
    Round 3 Derek Hagan
    Round 4 Joe Toledo
    Round 7 Fred Evans
    Round 7 Rodrique Wright
    Round 7 Devin Aromashodu

This might have been the worst draft in the NFL last year, Toledo was injured but Hagan and Allen were the only ones that showed some promise. Fred Evans could work his way onto the field over the years

2. Breed

Breed Pro Bowler

It takes more than a year to grade a draft....

3. paulomac77

paulomac77 Hoosier Fin Fan

even so, a lot of teams made themselves better through the draft last year
    Grade: Incomplete

4. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

Allen showed promise ? your kidding right...this guy was getting beat out by Hill who stunk and then go ran over by Manning in the last game of the season and then a few days before that game has the nerve to say he is still learning the playbook..hagans is nice wr but we should of drafted Holmes instead and the rest r a bunch of bums...Maybe Evans might help but the grade is a F

5. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

your answer is ignorance enough for us all..did u rip down your saban posters and saban dolls yet...i bet u say to other people "in saban i trust "

6. Samphin

Samphin Dolphins Homer

How the heck could we have drafted Holmes instead of Hagan? Hagan was taken in the third round and Holmes in the first.

7. NC FINFAN69

NC FINFAN69 Rookie

Too early to grade last year's draft

It's way too early to grade last year's draft class. We only had 3 picks in the first 6 rounds.Hagan and Allen showed potential although you'd like more production from a 1st round pick.Allen may do better under the next coach's system as saban's system was supposedly difficult to learn.Of the final 3 picks(all 7th rounders) Aromashodu was cut,Wright had surgery and neither him or Evans ever had much chance to crack the D-line rotation as it's the strength of the team.The fact that 2 of 3 7th round picks are still on the roster is kinda impressive by itself.Evans and the 2 Wrights may be the future of the D-line for years.In which case Saban may be vindicated for this years draft class.

8. Stitches

Stitches I love Mindwarp

Because appearently you can get any player you want no matter the draft slot. :rolleyes:

9. Zacher87

Zacher87 Starter

Topics like these make this board impossible to take seriously.

I wish there was a seperate board for the level-headed and realistic Dolphin fans.

10. SoDakDolfan

SoDakDolfan Land Locked Dolfan

I don't generally reply to silly posts like this. Obviously you can't grade Saban's draft for another couple of years. However, based on potential I believe he had a pretty decent draft. R. Wright in the 7th could end up being the steal of the draft. Evans looks like he will turn into a decent role player (not bad for another 7th rounder). Hagen could be a good number 2 receiver but he needs to step up production. The jury is still out on Jason Allen. I think he will end up being a help to our secondary, but there are other players who were available at that slot I would have preferred. In two or three more years we can give Saban an actual draft grade- but if you're asking for one right now I would go with a B-.

11. SoDakDolfan

SoDakDolfan Land Locked Dolfan

I agree. However, there is a seperate board- it's called the members lounge.

12. PhinFan0202

PhinFan0202 Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

IMO i would give last years draft a C- or a D. He didn't contribute nearly as much as other first rounders and we probably could have gotten him later in the draft. We didn't have a 2nd round pick because we traded it for Dante who didn't see the field the whole year. Derek Hagan is contributing in a way i expected and the rest of the class didn't see the field.

13. DolfinDave

DolfinDave FinHeaven VIP

Like a few have said, its incomplete. You just can't tell after one season. But if you were going to give them a grade based solely on this past season, then it wouldn't be good.

But we also have to wonder if Jason Allen deserves so much of a raw deal. I went to UT for the whole four years he was there and I liked him. He was versatile enough to play both safety and corner. When he played safety, he led the team in tackles.

And we now that Saban had a hard time putting in the younger guys. It took him half the season to find out that Bell was a better option at safety. It took him 4 games to realize that Culpepper wasn't ready to play. And he only used Roth sparingly, even though he looked pretty good whenever he got a shot. So I definitely think its too early to declare Allen a bust. I just hope the next coach doesn't pull a Saban and starts Allen from the beginning.

Quick note about Hagan. When he got in, he did fairly well. He got open a decent amount of the time and made some catches. But he had his fair shair of drops, like all of our Wrs. I think he can be a solid number 2 if he can hang on to more balls.

14. jlfin

jlfin old pro

What an uninformed post. Rodrique Wright was considered a possible 1st rd talent had he come out after his Jr yr. He fell in the draft due to an undislosed shoulder injury. He may turn out to be a pretty good player. Same with Toledo.
    Allen and Hagan are still developing. Giving this draft a grade of F is plain silly and suggests that you haven't followed NFL football very long. At worst the draft is Inc. due to injuries.

15. jlfin

jlfin old pro

Some teams play their 1st rounders because they have no other option. It also depends on the HC. Saban didn't appear to give a lot of playing time to rookies.

16. TimeGap

TimeGap Starter

I'll give it a D because three of our draft picks didn't play for most of the season one got cut and Daunte was injured.

17. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 A True Fan

You're totally right, except I think your being too leniant saying Hagan and Allen show "promise". Aweful draft, after an exceptional one.

18. dolfanmark

dolfanmark Seasoned Veteran

It's way too son to judge this year's draft. Jason Allen held out too long. It prevented him from being able to learn a very complex defensive scheme. Even our veteran players said it took them a year to learn what they were doing. It's too bad that this happened, but it did. Allen will be a starter next year, and then we'll have a much better idea of him as a player.

Rookie WR can have a difficult time making an impact in the NFL. They get by on pure athleticism at the college level. In the NFL, they need to learn technique. And they need to learn to read a defense because of all the option routes used by current offenses. And, we have two WR who have been to Pro Bowls, and Welker, who excelled. We also didn't go to 4-wide much because of the issues we had protecting the passer. Hagan still has plenty of time to develop into Booker's eventual replacement.

Joe Toledo was competing for a starting job when he got hurt.

Fred Evans was great in the pre-season. And in his first regular season action, he got very good, consistent penetration against Indy.

And the wildcard to the whole thing is Rodrigue Wright. This is a guy who had first round talent. He can be a major impact player.

A year from now, we may think very differently about this draft. Remember last year when everyone thought Matt Roth was a huge bust? Now, everyone is excited by how many plays he made as a part-time player. Give it time.

19. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

tell me why would a team who started 1-5 and then had no shot of making the playoffs not play any of there young guys..thats falls on the hc...there no reason evans,allen,vick,hagans should of not seen more playing time...

20. clbrazee

clbrazee Seasoned Veteran

It's impossible to rate a draft until 3-5 years out. Players develop at a different pace, and some players start later due to existing team strengths.

21. DonShula84

DonShula84 Sporty Don

We should have drafted Holmes instead? Why compare a WR that went in the first round to one that went in the third?

22. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

the point i was trying to make is holmes is a speedster.this team has not 1 wr who can catch the ball and take off like holmes.all im trying to say is that the pick would of been better used on holmes then allen

23. Static387

Static387 Again & Again

I think the Rod Wright pick was very good in the 7th. He has huge potential and originally had a first round grade. I like Fred Evans too but knew nothing of him until we drafted him. Hagan has big upside. As for Allen I think we should have gone Greenway, Carpenter, Lawson, Mangold.

24. Static387

Static387 Again & Again

We will have a shot at his much much faster teamate Ginn should he declare.

25. DolfinDave

DolfinDave FinHeaven VIP

The more I hear about and see Ted Ginn, the more I like him. He could be a real threat in the kick return game. And his outstanding speed should stretch the defense and help out the other Wrs.

26. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

do u think ginn is there at # 9 and if so would u pick him knowing we may need help at OL more or perhaps russell there wich i know is a long shot since he will be taken by the raiders from what peter king said earlier...