Grading Miami's Undrafted Free-Agent Haul | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading Miami's Undrafted Free-Agent Haul

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
337ee68b03c7a4bf63635e3007fa69e5_crop_exact.jpg

Tailback Jay Ajayi was a breakout star for the Miami Dolphins in 2016. But Ajayi carried the ball more than 20 times in four games last year, including a 32-carry effort in a pivotal Week 16 game against the Bills.

That was as much due to necessity as design. There just isn't much behind Ajayi on the depth chart, and Miami eschewed the backfield in free agency and the 2017 draft.

The team did, however, add a back in rookie free agency who might be able to take a bit of the load off. Michigan's De'Veon Smith isn't a home run hitter. He isn't going to juke any defenders out of their shoes. But at 223 pounds, the downhill bruiser could take a bit of the pounding away from Ajayi in 2017.

If Smith was the offense's most welcome addition where UDFAs are concerned, wide receiver Damore'ea Stringfellow was probably the most surprising.

It has nothing to do with talent. Stringfellow is a sure-handed, big-bodied receiver who topped 700 yards on 46 catches last year at Ole Miss.

But Stringfellow has no margin for error in a wide receiver club that's standing room only.

Neither will Miami's Malcolm Lewis. Nor Drew Morgan of Arkansas. Nor Francis Owusu of Stanford.

That's four UDFA receivers added to a team that was already deep at that spot.

GRADE: B

I read that analysis and it was very selective. Too much focus on the UDFA WRs and no mention of the defensive players.
Of course the Pats got an A.
When BB passes gas the media hears Mozart

:laugh you sure got that right

"Undrafted Free Agent Haul" sounds like an oxymoron to me. This is the stuff of slow news times. In general, grading the different teams UFDA "hauls" are about as meaningful at this point as grading the cafeteria staff.

"But Ajayi carried the ball more than 20 times in four games last year" - and I say so what? Let him carry the ball more than 20 times more than 4 games!

No depth behind Ajayi? I call bullchip. There's no Ajayi behind Ajayi but no depth???

These writers...

Tailback Jay Ajayi was a breakout star for the Miami Dolphins in 2016. But Ajayi carried the ball more than 20 times in four games last year, including a 32-carry effort in a pivotal Week 16 game against the Bills.

That was as much due to necessity as design. There just isn't much behind Ajayi on the depth chart, and Miami eschewed the backfield in free agency and the 2017 draft.

The team did, however, add a back in rookie free agency who might be able to take a bit of the load off. Michigan's De'Veon Smith isn't a home run hitter. He isn't going to juke any defenders out of their shoes. But at 223 pounds, the downhill bruiser could take a bit of the pounding away from Ajayi in 2017.

If Smith was the offense's most welcome addition where UDFAs are concerned, wide receiver Damore'ea Stringfellow was probably the most surprising.

It has nothing to do with talent. Stringfellow is a sure-handed, big-bodied receiver who topped 700 yards on 46 catches last year at Ole Miss.

But Stringfellow has no margin for error in a wide receiver club that's standing room only.

Neither will Miami's Malcolm Lewis. Nor Drew Morgan of Arkansas. Nor Francis Owusu of Stanford.

That's four UDFA receivers added to a team that was already deep at that spot.

GRADE: B

When copy/pasting an article, perhaps a source should be included. Sometimes when you post, I can't tell if it's your own opinion or something you grabbed from somewhere else:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710171-grading-every-teams-undrafted-free-agent-haul

Not expecting much this year from our crop of college free agents especially at the positions mentioned in this article which tells me whomever wrote this stuff knows little about the Dolphins. Now if he had mentioned some of defensive players and the offense lineman we picked up as college UDFA then this write up may have been worth reading.

I wonder if Leroy Hoard II will make the roster and can develop into a decent FB/RB/TE/H-Batch.

"But Ajayi carried the ball more than 20 times in four games last year" - and I say so what? Let him carry the ball more than 20 times more than 4 games!

No depth behind Ajayi? I call bullchip. There's no Ajayi behind Ajayi but no depth???

These writers...

Ya seriously?

We have very nice depth at that position.

Williams had 2 less Tds than Ajayi last year. He's not close to as good ,but he can play.

Drake is less experienced but will become a really good player given the opportunity.

He showed flashes of being a solid Rb that could vie for a starting job on other teams. (Giants, Chiefs, Jets, Detroit, Browns, Colts, Ravens, Panthers, Redskins, Bucs( if Doug Martin is still using).

Wow, this article could have been better written by half the people on this site. Definitely throwing crap together and hoping for hits. Seriously, what a lack of effort on the writers part.

We need all the extra receivers to run the deep route in pre-season so not to over use Stills and Parker. We will be working a lot on crossing routes to Thomas and Drake/Ajayi out of the backfield.

Back
Top Bottom