Grading the AFCE draft

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by Mike13, May 1, 2006.

1. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Well now that the draft is over its time to give out report cards. I'll explain how this is going to work Im just going to analyze the Fins draft and anyone else can analyze any of the other teams, I would like to see what the Jets Bills and Pats fans think of thier drafts. Lets try to keep our bias out of this guys.

Miami: I was a little dissapointed that we didn't take Chad Greenway or Manny Lawson, but Saban addressed our biggest weakness by taking Jason Allen he can play both CB and Safety and he is great at both, I see him being used at Safety since we really could use a good starter. I think our secondary should be just fine with Poole, Daniels, Hill, Allen, and J Allen.
    Derek Hagan is a talented WR, he runs smooth routes and he has great hands, he slipped to the third because he had a bad Senior Bowl and he isnt incredibly fast (He ran a 4.42 40). He should be our no 3 WR, which would mean Welker isnt going to see a lot if time at WR this year.
    Joe Toledo is a talented and versitile OL and he gives us depth.

I can't say much about our 7th rounders, but Rodrique Wright intrests me, he was projected anywhere from rounds 3-5(At least thats what I heard) It was probably because of his arm injury. I found a scouting report of him
    He has talent and I believe he could be a gem. Devin Aromashadu is a speedy WR, and Fred Evans could be a decent back up, but both of those guys seem to be camp fodder to me.

Overall Saban did a decent job with what he had, its not as good as last year's draft, but its alright none the less. C+

2. ch19079

ch19079 Dolphin, its whats for dinner

ill comment on the Bills draft. many people have pointed out that the bills "reached" on both of their first 2 picks. this may be so, but they are both players that we really liked and needed, and both were high on other teams boards.

SS Whitner is expected to start this year, which tells you how desperatly we needed a SS. we also got a DT which we desperatly needed. i didnt think we needed a QB this year, but i was expecting us to atelast trade down a few spots since leinart was on the board.

i personally wanted either DT Bunkley or OT Justice. but seeing how far justice fell, im glad we didnt take him with the 8th overall pick. the eagles ended up with both players so i guess the eagles made out well this year. Justice is said to have fallen due to character issues, including being suspended for pointing a gun (replica) at a fellow student.

Radio and tv interviews after the draft showed just how high other teams placed both Whitner and McCargo. the ravens were reportedly planning on taking Whitner with their pick (13th overall), but after the bills took him, the ravens then traded up one spot to get Ngata. (i know Lewis wanted a DT, but these reports say they wanted whitner). also, reports say the giants wanted to select McCargo with the 32nd pick in the draft, and were forced to take their second choice DE Kiwanuka.

after the 1st and 2nd pick, the rest seem to be decent backups. we needed depth at FS and CB, and we also later took 3 offensive lineman which is another area we needed depth at.

IMO, we got players who filled large holes. some may have been taken a few spots before they were projected to go, but there was a very realistic chance that another team would have "reached" for them if we traded down in the 1st or waited at our spot in the 2nd.

i give the bills a C+ (which was originally a C- or D prior to hearing reports of how high other teams placed whitner and McCargo)

3. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Its strange that the Ravens wanted Whitner, after all they have Ed Reed.

4. ch19079

ch19079 Dolphin, its whats for dinner

i agree, but as some others have said, he could play other DB positions.

5. djfresh47

djfresh47 R.I.P. djfresh47

I really like what the Patriots did and I think Maroney will be a 1000 yd back this year and Chad Jackson in the 2nd rd was great value. I preferred Santonio Holmes at 16 to Jason Allen but then the Phins got Hagan who and I think both will contribute right away. The Bills had outside of probably the Bears one of the worst drafts, IMO. I think Broderick Bunkley was a better pick than Whitner at 8 and if they traded into the 1st rd Winston Justice was a better pick than McCargo. Ko Simpson and Ashton Youboty were good picks for them although I think they should've gone offensive line earlier in the draft. The Jets got two guys who are gonna start instantly on the offensive line and a Qb who I expect to be starting by mid-season.

6. MillerTime

MillerTime Squish The Fish!

heres how I would rank them

1. Jets
    2. Patriots
    3. Bills
    4. Dolphins

7. Prime

Prime FinHeaven Elite

1. Jets

2. Pats(drafting that noname kicker in the 4th almost made me put them under us)

3. Phins

4. Bills(they are the laughing stock of the draft by many places and they know it too)

8. MillerTime

the bills had a solid draft man, whitner could have gone 9, 11, or 13, and at the LATEST to the dolphins. and McCargo wouldnt have made it out of the first round because there was a huge drop off in talent after him. and then we stole youboty and simpson and even Williams. we got guys who will make big impacts on our team. but if mel kiper says they were reaches it must be true :up::up:

9. Prime

Prime FinHeaven Elite

You did get good players, but you got to admit they were reaches. Simpson and Youboty was some steals in the draft and you got damn lucky to get both of them. So now I must ask you this. Why the **** do you have us ranked last?

10. Crisis

Crisis Hair Crisis!

How the hell do you grade a draft where everyone is still a complete question mark.

11. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

The Bills reached big time in the draft, but they did pick up some very solid players. I wanted Donte Whitner to be drafted to the Dolphins, he is NOT a Top 10 prospect, but the Bills got him now. Then they draft another Safety in the third round who's stock dropped pretty low after being projected as a first round safety the past 2-3 months, Ko Simpson. They solved their defensive issues in this draft, but hasn't really put up anybody for JP Losman.

Patriots had a really good draft. They picked up their future running back, and grabbed Chad Jackson, who to me is the best WR in this draft, at the 2nd round. That's going to be a very explosive offense and after the draft was over I can already tell that the Patriots will become the AFC East division winners in 2006.

The jets had a really nice draft. Solved their offensive line issues by adding DBrickashaw Ferguson and one of my favorites, Nick Mangold. Plus they drafted Kellen Clemens in the 2nd.

This draft made me realize that many teams are starting to even up, but I still have Cincinatti as my Super Bowl pick in 2006.

12. miaD5499

miaD5499 Pro Bowler

hahah obviously you would put the bills over the dolphins, how could you even think the bills had a good draft or at that decent they took a huge reach in taking donte whitner no matter what you say he was projected to go around 24 and the bills had an opportunity to trade down but they decided not to and go for whitner....many of the draft grades ive seen have given the bills a staright up F

13. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Where there's a will, there's a way.

14. MillerTime

can you please post links to them :rolleyes:

I really dont think Whitner was a reach he could have gone to the lions, rams, or ravens, and definetly wouldnt have made it past the dolphins

15. Dirtywater

Dirtywater SB 36, 38, 39, 49 & 51 Champs

Who cares about reaching. If you guys valued him at that pick, then take him. We did the same thing last year with mankins, he played great for us, so who cares if we reached a bit... we got our guy as did Buffalo.

16. Dirtywater

Dirtywater SB 36, 38, 39, 49 & 51 Champs

17. MillerTime

exactly, we got the right guys for our cover 2 defense, it calls for quick players and McCargo is real quick and same with Whitner(4.38). We got the guys we needed and the right guys for our system, I could care less where Mel Kiper had them going.

18. Marino1983

Marino1983 Banned Hammered

:sidelol:
    SHOCK!!!

Marino1983

19. MillerTime

:mrt:

20. calphin

calphin Big Muley Bucks are best.

Homer post!

21. Wagon Circler

Wagon Circler Banned Hammered

I was quite pleased with our draft. All the players we drafted filled obvious needs and we got some real good talent.

It doesn't matter to me that the goons at espn chose the bills to do a "what were they thinking" on. I'll tell you what we were thinking...fix the defense and grab some O-line. I'll tell you what we weren't thinking...."Boy I wonder if Mel Kiper will think this pick is a reach?"

Listen, I know more about my bills and our team needs a lot better than Mr. Mel Kiper, or Sean Salisbery, or Mike Golic, or Mark Schlerith, or Trey Wingo. So I'm not about to let those fools or any other divisional fan tell me what we need or what was a reach. Dwight Freeney was considered a big reach when Indy took him a while ago, look how that worked out for them.

Sorry draft grades and gurus aren't end all be all. I loved Marv's first draft and I'm still counting my lucky stars we got him back. Afterall, the bills could have went through another TD draft...

22. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL A True Fan

The AFCE had a great draft as a whole this season.

As far reaching as the Bills first two picks were, they addressed needs and Whitner is a damn good player. While 8 seemed high, and I admit, that name being called there was a complete surprise (I loved it :chuckle:), they'll get a danger man. They made up somewhat by getting Ashton Youboty too. Watch out for a possible trade of former Ohio State CB Antonie Winfeld back to Buffalo too..It's evident Marv Levy wants the whole set.

The Jets had the best draft in the division. They got incredible line assistance and I really like Leon Washington. Gulp. Oh wait, it's the Jets.

The Pats had a solid draft. Not a typical Belichick draft in my mind, but they got some impact. Jackson was a nice 2nd round pick and Maroney will be solid in the 2 RB game.

Miami, well, no need to talk about them in here. We had a good draft. Heard enough about it though. Some good steals.

23. swampfox

swampfox Well-Known Member

We used draft picks for Culpepper , Manny , Cleo. No one seems to be adding them in with our picks this draft and i feel they should be included.

24. 3P

3P I believe I can fly!

You know, I'm not going to argue with this ranking. I still say it's close between the Bills/Dolphins, which is sad for the Bills because the Dolphins had no second round pick. Had they had that pick, I'd rank the Dolphins in the top two.

What I would like to point out though, is offseason grades as a whole including trades for players, and FA pickups:

1. Dolphins
    2. Jets
    3. Patriots
    4. Bills

I'll take the worst or tied for worst with the Bills grading on the draft, when you consider that we only got that grade due to trading a 2nd round pick for a franchise QB.

25. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

The draft grades out as just who you selected not who you traded a pick for and if it includes all offseason the jets have also had the best offseason cleaning up the cap, not getting rid of many players and brining in some good players. You guys got some name players but culpepper has never been a winner in this league, Allen was let go so the giants could sign your former old, declining CB and your new OT was let go after Cle spent $20 to replace him before he was gone. it appears you did a good job w/ the draft(considering what you had left as far as picks) but as a whole your offseason was not great.

26. dob72

dob72 Banned Hammered

lol yea ok

27. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

based on the value each team got and how good of a prospect each players is

28. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Shelton is a proven pro bowler and so is Culpepper. the Giants are idiots to think Madison is better than Allen. at this point in their careers Allen is better

29. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Are Rodrique and Manny related?

30. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

Shelton was thrown to the trash by a team that spent $20 to replace him before they cut him. Culpepper is a stat QB, he'll make PB's but won't win SB's. If you think Allen is better than madison(even a declining madison) then you haven't watched Allen play. Neither is very good at this point but Sam is still alot better.

31. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

1 playoff appearance since 2001(w/ an 8-8 record) in a weak div and conf.- yeah he's a winner!

32. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Sorry but I'll trust Nick Saban's judgement over yours in all football matters.....

33. FinfanInBuffalo

Are you the same wagoncircler that is posting on the Buffalo Range?

34. Wagon Circler

Wagon Circler Banned Hammered

No. I post here and on BZ.

35. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

what happened to your post count WC?

36. BillsCA

BillsCA Well-Known Member

4. Bills(they are the laughing stock of the draft by many places and they know it too)[/quote]

Keeping an objective mind on the draft, here's how bad it 'sucked' according to NFL.com writers...

Vic Carucci's first-round mock...

26. Chicago: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
    At nearly 6-0 and 189 pounds, Youboty figures to have the size the Bears want from a cornerback in their Cover 2 scheme. He also has enough speed and athleticism to carve out an outstanding NFL career.

31. Seattle: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
    The Seahawks fill a need with a solid player who does a nice job in zone coverage and can hold his own in man-to-man in nickel and dime schemes.

32. Pittsburgh: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
    White could be here, and perhaps the Steelers would make him the power back replacement for Jerome Bettis. But Simpson, who offers an impressive combination of size (6-1 and 203 pounds) and playmaking ability, also would address a need and perhaps with less risk.

Kirwan's first mock

Second Round:

42. Buffalo: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
    44. Baltimore: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina

Kirwan's second mock

31. Seattle: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
    Last week, I felt the Seahawks would take offensive guard Davin Joseph here, but two line coaches convinced me he spends too much time in a two-point stance. Whitner is at a need position and he ran 4.38 at his Pro Day. Seattle takes a guard in the second round.

SECOND ROUND

42. Buffalo: Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State
    43. Cleveland: Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
    56. N.Y. Giants: John McCargo, DT, N.C. State

Pat Kirwan's final mock

21. New England: Donte Whitner, DB, Ohio State

32. Pittsburgh: Ko Simpson, DB, South Carolina

"Keep in mind, there are still a number of players who could go in the first round. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph (South Carolina), guard Davin Joseph (Oklahoma), defensive tackle John McCargo (N.C. State), running backs LenDale White (USC) and Joseph Addai (LSU) and defensive end Mathais Kiwanuka (Boston College) all have first-round grades on at least one draft board out there and it would not surprise me to hear their names called. " ~ Pat Kirwan

Gil Brant's "Top-5 Defense" by position...

Top-5 DT's
    1 Brodrick Bunkley Florida State 6-2¾ 306 4.95
    2 Haloti Ngata Oregon 6-4 1/8 338 5.18
    3 John McCargo N.C. State 6-1½ 302 5.19
    4 Gabe Watson Michigan 6-3½ 338 5.30
    5 Claude Wroten LSU 6-2 302 no time

Top-5 Safeties
    1 Donte Whitner Ohio State 5-10 1/8 204 4.45
    2 Daniel Bullocks Nebraska 6-0½ 212 4.40
    3 Darnell Bing Southern Cal 6-2 225 4.58
    4 Ko Simpson South Carolina 6-1 209 4.44
    5 Anthony Smith Syracuse 6-0 1/8 194 4.73

For comparision:

Michael Huff was listed number one as a CB, where he'll probably play in Oakland...

Mike Mayock's first-round mock draft...

8. Buffalo: Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
    [​IMG]

Pretty much the 'experts' on NFL.COM had our first four picks valued in the first and second rounds...

37. miaD5499

miaD5499 Pro Bowler

who cares about reaches? are you serious you probably lost your self a few million dollars there taking him in the top 10 rather than trading down and drafting him in the mid to late teens, yea i agree you got the player you wanted but at a hefty price and when you could of obtained more draft picks but we're talking about the bills here and this kind of stuff is to complicated for your owner :sidelol:

38. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

I would too but we'll see what happens.

39. FinfanInBuffalo

I noticed that you conveniently ignored the fact that Carucci's latest mock draft had Jason Allen going before Donte Whitner. He projected 3 safeties near the end of round 1. That is the point that everyone who has criticized Buffalo's picks have made, they could have gotten Whitner plus at least one extra first day pick. Also He didn't show McCargo going in the first round. So, according to a source that you brought up, they paid too much for McCargo also.

You also forgot Mike Mayock's ranking of the safeties:

1. Jason Allen, Tennessee
    2. Donte Whitner, Ohio State

I saw one ranking where Jason Allen was ranked as the #1 CB and the #1 safety.

Thank you for validating my opinion of Buffalo's first rwo picks.....

40. BE GOOD

BE GOOD Pick and choose Wayne...

My Grades:
    Jets:A-
    Bills:C
    Dolphins:B
    Patriots:B-