Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams

St. Louis Rams

#14 Overall -- Michael Brockers / DT / LSU

Rams select my #4 defensive tackle, and #2 rated lineman who could also draw some looks as a potential 5-tech for teams that employ a 30 front. I had a late 1st round grade on Brockers because I do think there's an element of risk involved. However, there's also tremendous upside. This is a player who's only scratched the surface of what he can become in terms of a dominant player up front. At times Brockers completely dominated the POA in the rugged trenches of the SEC, and his domination doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Consistently engaged double teams and won his share. Can 2-gap in any scheme. His best football is clearly ahead of him. Grade: B

#33 Overall -- Brian Quick / WR / Appalachian St.

I had a late 3rd round grade on Quick, who was my #9 rated WR in the category of potential 1a-#2 WR's at the next level. He has everything he needs to eventually live up to this draft slot for the Rams, although they reached for him here by about 50 slots. Grade: C+

#39 Overall -- Janoris Jenkins / CB / North Alabama

The #2 CB on my board who I felt was worth the risk at the top of the 2nd round if he was available. Make no mistake, he's a top 15 talent who's repeated marijuana issues killed his stock. Jenkins is a shutdown cornerback in the truest sense of the word and top flight return man. Great selection for the Rams if he stays clean. His talent is just too much to pass up here. Grade: A-

#50 Overall -- Isaiah Pead / RB / Cincinnati

My #3 scat/change-of-pace back who I had given a 3rd round grade in the 65-80 range overall. Outstanding cutting ability and shiftiness. Should be productive in a committee approach. Doesn't need as much work in pass protection as most rookies. I think the Rams reached for him here by about 15 picks, but they got a nice back. Grade: B-

#65 Overall -- Trumaine Johnson / CB-S / Montana

Versatile defender who could project to corner or safety, although I project him to safety. Terrific size and speed combo, although doesn't always break down correctly to make tackles in the open field. Has held his own when matched up against superior competition on occasion. I had an early 5th round grade on him and feel like the Rams reached significantly for him here. I believe he would have been available later, but it's clear the Rams have identified the better small school prospects and feel comfortable reaching a little to secure the players on their draft board. Grade: C-

#96 Overall -- Chris Givens / WR / Wake Forest

The #5 rated slot receiver on my board that I had given a 3rd round grade comes off the board here to the Rams. They need an infusion of talent in the passing game and get a nice player and terrific value here with Givens. Grade: B+

#150 Overall -- Rokevious Watkins / OT-G / South Carolina

Played offensive tackle and guard for the Game****s and bring some versatility, although I project him inside. #18 rated guard on my board who I had given a late round grade in the 180-200 range overall. Little bit of a reach here for this versatile lineman. Grade: C

#171 Overall -- Greg Zuerlein / K / Missouri Western

I don't scout kickers.

#209 Overall -- Aaron Brown / LB / Hawaii

Didn't scout this player and will defer to the Rams on this selection.

#252 Overall -- Daryl Richardson / RB / Abilene Christian

See above.

San Francisco 49ers

#30 Overall -- A.J. Jenkins / WR / Illinois

Ran extremely well in the 40 yard dash, and his linear speed is evident on tape. However, I don't like this pick. Jenkins was the #11 rated wide receiver on my board and I had given him a late 3rd / early 4th round grade. Doesn't understand how to run routes yet.. this is a developmental receiver in my opinion. He doesn't come off the line running his routes full speed, which is the very first thing a good route runner learns is the foundation for quality route running and setting up DB's. Tremendous reach here at the end of the 1st round. Grade: D-

#61 Overall -- LaMichael James / RB / Oregon

49ers take the #1 scatback on my board here with James, who I had given an early 2nd round grade. A top 50 pick on my board who they get 11 picks later and presents excellent value. This is an extremely tough runner for his size that's capable of breaking arm tackles. He runs tough. Highly productive in Chip Kelly's offense. Showed how much he loved football coming back from a horrific elbow injury against Cal that looked like it might even be career threatening. He only missed 2 games. Outstanding special teams ability as a returner. Grade: A-

#117 Overall -- Joe Looney / OG / Wake Forest

The #7 guard on my board who I had given a 3rd round grade. Looney is a kid who I've referred to since last July as one of the most underrate interior offensive lineman that I had scouted in college football. Great value here getting him in the 4th round. Grade: B+

#165 Overall -- Darius Fleming / DE-OLB / Notre Dame

My #13 4-3/3-4 OLB prospect who I had given a 5th round grade. Played with his hand in the dirt for the Irish although he's a limited pass rusher and too small to play the position in the NFL. It'll be hard for him to find a position in the NFL as a full time starter, but could contribute in specific packages. Grade: C-

#180 Overall -- Trenton Robinson / S / Michigan St.

Robinson barely made my draft board, but managed it due to the lack of quality depth in this safety class. My #20 rated safety who I had given a barely draftable grade. Grade: D

#199 Overall -- Jason Slowey / C / Western Oregon

I didn't scout this player and will defer to the 49ers with this selection.

#237 Overall -- Cam Johnson / DE-OLB / Virginia

I don't understand how Johnson fell this far. This could be one of the major steals of the 7th round. I had him as my #10 4-3 defensive end, and #3 'rush' linebacker in a 3-4. This is not the 237th best player in the draft... that I guarantee. Grade: A

If the Niners didn't have the worst draft of the bunch (and a lot of teams drafted pretty well) it was one of the worst, from my perspective.

Peyton Manning creates weapons. Drafting Allen helps a ton and Wylie is a good pickup if he stays healthy. If Thomas is going to step up as a WR, Manning can make him do it, and Decker had to be the happiest with Manning coming in. If Manning makes a healthy return, which I believe he will, Decker will have a hell of a year. Not to mention they brought in one of his old targets in Tamme.

If Manning is back, that team wins the division (mostly because Norv Turner sucks).

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Looks like he's just starting in the west and working his way east. Probably more to keep it orderly than anything.

ur about to find out what bs that is. He needs weapons to win, indy had clark/harrison/wayne/garcon, all elite talent. Broncos are gambling by not surroring mannings with toys, its a bad gamble.

Seattle Seahawks

#15 Overall -- Bruce Irvin / OLB / West Virginia

I had Irvin as the #3 4-3 outside linebacker on my board and #1 3-4 outside linebacker, and had a top 40 grade on him. I was surprised to see him go with the 15th overall pick, but not as surprised as most. I've said several times that there's typically only one elite pass rusher in any draft with this type of athletic ability, speed, and COD skills that Irvin brings, and teams tend to take notice. This is one of the 5 best athletes in the draft regardless of position. Won't contribute much on 1st and 2nd down as a run defender in the stack-and-shed mold, but should contribute immediately as a situational pass rusher. Elite first step, quickness, speed, athletic abilty, and change of direction skills. Questionable football IQ, and has some background issues that teams had to sift through. Aldon Smith justified his draft selection as a situational pass rusher as a rookie for the 49ers last year, and I think Irvin could have that type of impact for the Seahawks. I like this pick more than most. Grade: B-

#47 Overall -- Bobby Wagner / LB / Utah St.

I left Wagner off my draft board because I don't like his instincts or lack of ability close to the line of scrimmage. A pure chase linebacker who racks up tackles that are for the most part, meaningless. Not a fan of this pick. Grade: D

#75 Overall -- Russell Wilson / QB / Wisconsin

#11 quarterback on my board and 5th round grade. His success depends largely on the system he's placed in, but there's no question he has a little more to offer than several of the QB's in this class who have prototypical height. Elite intangibles. Great character. Mature kid. Seattle reached for him a little early here. Grade: C+

#106 Overall -- Robert Turbin / RB / Utah St.

#3 feature back on my board who I had a late 2nd/early 3rd round grade on. One of the strongest players in college football. Matched Doug Martin's 28 reps for the most by a RB at this year's combine. Incredibly productive runner with rare size/speed ratio. Runs with good pad level, gets yards after contact, and can run away from you if he gets in the open field. Seahawks get a steal here in the 4th round. Grade: A-

#114 Overall -- Jaye Howard / DT / Florida

Howard was the #20 defensive tackle, and #8 3-4 defensive end on my board should he draw interest from teams that use a 30 front. I had a 6th round grade on him and didn't think he warranted going quite this high. Little bit of a reach here. Grade: C-

#154 Overall -- Korey Toomer / ILB / Idaho

I didn't scout this player and will defer to the Seahawks on this selection.

#172 Overall -- Jeremy Lane / CB / Northwestern St.

See above.

#181 Overall -- Winston Guy / S / Kentucky

#11 safety on my board who I had given a late 4th round grade. Seahawks get tremendous value here for a rugged SEC defender with eventual starter qualities. Guy was always an underrated defender on one of the least talented teams in the SEC. Reminds me of Yeremiah Bell. Grade: B-

#225 Overall -- J.R. Sweezy / DT-DE / N. C. State

#12 defensive tackle on my board and #4 defensive end in a 3-4 front. Productive at N.C. State and tested well athletically at the combine. His tape matches his specs and workout numbers. Solid pick here this late. I had him higher than Jaye Howard who they took about 110 picks earlier. Grade: B-

#232 Overall -- Greg Scruggs / DE / Louisville

See Lane and Toomer above.

ur about to find out what bs that is. He needs weapons to win, indy had clark/harrison/wayne/garcon, all elite talent. Broncos are gambling by not surroring mannings with toys, its a bad gamble.

:lol: Okay. Feel free to explain how those elite talents on Indy couldn't get that team to more than 2 wins. For example, explain how Tamme went from a TE with over 600 receiving yards with Manning to just over 150 in one year without, or how Dallas Clark went from about 50-60 yards per game to 30 in the year without Manning. Talk about elite. Reggie Wayne had his first sub-1000 yard season. Matter of fact, Garcon appears to be the only one that benefited from not having Manning spreading the ball around, though that didn't help him hit the 1000 yard mark last season.

And please explain how those players I mentioned on Denver's offense don't qualify as "weapons." I sure hope you're not one of the few that are touting our receiving corps as anything special... Again, assuming Manning is healthy, that passing game will be fine.

Detroit Lions

#23 Overall -- Riley Reiff / OT / Iowa

Reiff was the #4 offensive tackle on my board had a mid-2nd round grade. Never did I subscribe to the theory that this kid was top 10 worthy. I've seen him struggle too many instances in pass protection, and get knocked flat on his butt when getting out to the second level in the run game by a linebacker giving up 80 pounds to him. He's a good tackle in a rather weak class, but not an elite player by any stretch. Can start bending a little too much from the waist late in games. Should start at some point for Detroit, but even a reach here in the 20's in my opinion. Grade: C+

#54 Overall -- Ryan Broyles / WR / Oklahoma

The #1 slot receiver on my board who I think could also eventually make a decent 1a option in the right offense. I had a late 1st round grade on him healthy, and an early 2nd round grade on him even after his collegiate career came to an end due to a knee injury. If his reps on the bench didn't already give away his work ethic, his ability to run and run well this soon after sustaining the injury should've confirmed it. NCAA record holder for receptions. Landry Jones completely went in the tank when Broyles went down, and so did Oklahoma's season. High character, hard working kid with rare skills as a route runner and returner. Great hands. I was hoping he'd last long enough for Miami to take him with their first 3rd rounder. I should've known better. Grade: A

#85 Overall -- Dwight Bentley / CB / UL-Lafayette

#10 cornerback on my board who I had given a late 3rd round grade. A little undersized, but plays with the heart of a lion. High school teammate of Janoris Jenkins and shares a similar skillset, although does have some issues downfield in coverage....unlike Jenkins. Effective blitzer in an exotic scheme and requisite ball skills to become a contributor soon in the Lions' secondary. I've actually spoken to a coach on the Cajuns' staff who I've known for years and comes from my hometown, who believes Bentley is the best defensive player he's ever been around. Grade: B+

#125 Overall -- Ronnell Lewis / OLB / Oklahoma

I had a 3rd round grade on Lewis and had him as my #7 4-3/3-4 outside linebacker. Great value to get him a round later. Lewis slid a little bit due to academic ineligibility issues. I thought he played out of position lined up at DE for the Sooners, but he still produced. Incredibly strong and athletic with a non-stop motor. He was on my underrated underclassman list in the thread I made back in the summer. Grade: B-

#138 Overall -- Tahir Whitehead / OLB / Temple

My #11 4-3 outside linebacker who I had a 5th round grade on. One of the keys to a stout Temple defense the past few seasons. Improved his draft stock throughout the process. Should contribute in some capacity for Detroit. Grade: C+

#148 Overall -- Chris Greenwood / CB / Albion

I did not scout this player and will defer to the Lions.

#196 Overall -- Jonte Green / CB / New Mexico St.

See above.

#223 Overall -- Travis Lewis / OLB / Oklahoma

Not impressed with Lewis and didn't make my draft board. Grade: D-

Green Bay Packers

#28 Overall -- Nick Perry / DE / USC

Packers get the #1 4-3 defensive end on my board here with the 28th pick. I had a top 15 grade on Perry, I thought the Packers got excellent value here, along with an elite pass rusher. Off the charts lower body explosion, which is the common denominator of all elite pass rushers. Can bend and run the arc reminiscent of Brian Orakpo at that size. Top notch worker and fantastic upper body strength. Interviewed extremely well according to teams who talked to him. Picks like this are why the Packers sustain success. Grade: A

#51 Overall -- Jerel Worthy / DT / Michigan St.

The #2 defensive tackle on my board behind Fletcher Cox, and I had given Worthy a late 1st round grade. Unblockable is what he is when he makes his mind up that he's going to make a play in the backfield, and there's not a darn thing anybody can do about it. Doesn't play with that level of intensity on every snap, which is odd. Just an absolute wrecking ball of destruction when he gets his juices going. Packers can afford to just sit and let the best talent drop to them again and again... Grade: A-

#62 Overall -- Casey Hayward / CB / Vanderbilt

...and again. Hayward was my #4 cornerback and had a late 2nd round grade on him. Leader of a very underrated Vanderbilt defense, and killed many drives with his 13 INT's and 21 PBU's over the past 2 seasons. More of a zone type corner, doesn't have the elite man-to-man skills of Claiborne or Janoris Jenkins.... but probably a more reliable tackler than either. Won't allow himself to be out-hustled in the SEC against superior opponents. Obviously an intelligent Vandy kid, but his football IQ also fits right in with the Packers on defense. Grade: B+

#132 Overall -- Mike Daniels / DT / Iowa

Daniels didn't make my draft board. Undersized and wasn't productive. Puzzling pick here. Grade: D-

#133 Overall -- Jerron McMillian / S / Maine

Didn't scout this player and will defer to the Packers.

#163 Overall -- Terrell Manning / OLB / N.C. State

I didn't have Manning on my draft board and felt it a curious decision to enter the draft early. Grade: C-

#241 Overall -- Andrew Datko / OT / Florida St.

Wasn't on my draft board due to major medical red flags, and wasn't extremely impressed with his effort against Oklahoma DE Frank Alexander even when he was healthy. Probably worth this late of a draft pick for the Packers. Grade: C

#245 Overall -- B.J. Coleman / QB / UT-Chattanooga

#8 quarterback on my board who I had a late 4th/early 5th round grade on. I have some issues with his pocket presence, and always appeared overmatched against top notch competiton...(i.e. Alabama, Auburn, Nebraska, etc.) although some of that is the team around him. The physical tools are there, they just need further development, and there's no better place for him to get it than in Green Bay. Looked good at the East-West Shrine Game. I thought he'd go earlier. Packers will probably develope him for a few seasons and trade him for a 3rd round pick. Grade: B

Minnesota Vikings

#4 Overall -- Matt Kalil / OT / USC

#1 offensive tackle on my board and had a top 15 grade on Kalil, but not top 5. Vikings had a need here and get the top tackle in the draft by trading down and acquiring more picks. Can look like an average college lineman for series at a time due to lack of effort and attempts to skate by on athletic ability. Should be a borderline pro-bowl caliber left tackle if he plays with consistent effort and shores up some technique issues. Also blocks kicks for the Trojans. Not as good of a prospect as former teammate and USC right tackle Tyron Smith in my opinion. Grade: B+

#29 Overall -- Harrison Smith / S / Notre Dame

I had a 3rd round grade on Smith and rated the #5 safety on my board. Looked outstanding in DB drills at the combine and has natural coverage ability. However, it's the tackling that concerns me. I thought the Vikings reached here by about 35 picks to secure the next best safety on their board. Grade: C

#66 Overall -- Josh Robinson / CB / UCF

#15 cornerback on my board who I gave a late 3rd round grade. Blazed a fantastic 40 and it really helped him. The speed is evident on tape, but technique playing the CB position is very inconsistent. Did a decent job of holding A.J. Green in check during the Liberty Bowl in 2010. Does appear to have some stiffness in his hips which dinged his grade to me. Reached a little on Robinson's upside here, but having a deep and talented group of corners is a necessity. Grade: B-

#118 Overall -- Jarius Wright / WR / Arkansas

Solid pick. I had a 3rd round grade on Wright and rated him my #4 slot receiver. I can count the receivers in this draft that run routes the quality of this kid's on one hand. Vikings get good value here and a player who should make the roster and contribute fairly soon in multiple WR sets. Grade: B+

#128 Overall -- Rhett Ellison / ? / USC

Wasn't on my draft board and didn't have a true position at USC. I have a difficult time understanding what his position will be in the NFL. Strange pick here. Grade: F

#134 Overall -- Greg Childs / WR / Arkansas

One of my personal favorite receivers in this draft. Would've like to see Miami grab him in the 4th round but it didn't materialize. My #7 overall wide receiver with 1a potential at the next level. Wasn't healthy during the season after suffering a season ending knee injury in 2010, and I could tell it. I had a top 75 overall grade on him prior to the injury. I think he's in the same class as WR's Rueben Randle and Alshon Jeffery. Attacks the football and doesn't wait for it, goes and gets it. Runs through the ball on slant routes and shows the ability to pick up yards after the catch. You don't find many receivers 6'3", 220 pounds with 4.4 speed that play to their specs at this point in the draft. Vikings got themselves a steal here. Grade: A-

#139 Overall -- Robert Blanton / CB / Notre Dame

Wasn't on my draft board. Grade: D

#175 Overall -- Blair Walsh / K / Georgia

I don't scout kickers.

#210 Overall -- Audie Cole / ILB / N.C. State

Cole didn't make it on my draft board. Odd build for an inside linebacker and looks more like a DE trying to play linebacker. Height causes him have trouble breaking down in the open field and short arms causes him to whiff a lot of tackles he should make. One of the more overhyped LB's in this class that I never really understood the hype. Grade: D

#219 Overall -- Trevor Guyton / DE / Cal

#22 defensive end on my board and barely gave him a draftable grade. Apparently league feels similarly. Worth a shot this late. Grade: C-

:lol: Okay. Feel free to explain how those elite talents on Indy couldn't get that team to more than 2 wins. For example, explain how Tamme went from a TE with over 600 receiving yards with Manning to just over 150 in one year without, or how Dallas Clark went from about 50-60 yards per game to 30 in the year without Manning. Talk about elite. Reggie Wayne had his first sub-1000 yard season. Matter of fact, Garcon appears to be the only one that benefited from not having Manning spreading the ball around, though that didn't help him hit the 1000 yard mark last season.

And please explain how those players I mentioned on Denver's offense don't qualify as "weapons." I sure hope you're not one of the few that are touting our receiving corps as anything special... Again, assuming Manning is healthy, that passing game will be fine.

If you want to talk numbers, i suggest talking to a mathematics teacher but if you want to talk football, lets get to it. Those weapons your talking about that had bad seasons when manning went down is not a surprise that they had bad seasons when manning went down. Weapons are only weapons when they have someone delivering the package on time and fast. Look at henne and marshall, they sucked together cause henne could not deliver, while marshall is a probowl wr he had no one to deliver the package to him and he confirmed that in the probowl after his probowl perforamance throwing henne under the bus. Denver offense has weapons? really?? did you not hear skip bayless on espn first take several times in the playoffs going ham on denver crap WRs???? lol there hole offense stinks and somehow tebow was able to do good with there crap weapons. They have a good TE but other than that, NOTHING. Manning is in for a wake up call that he is not god and he cannot win by himself.

first of all, well done slimm! talk about one hell of an undertaking and a pleasure to read.

So you mean you aren't subscribed to the newest fan club... "The WCO makes elite receivers... we dont need anymore" lol

If you want to talk numbers, i suggest talking to a mathematics teacher but if you want to talk football, lets get to it. Those weapons your talking about that had bad seasons when manning went down is not a surprise that they had bad seasons when manning went down. Weapons are only weapons when they have someone delivering the package on time and fast. Look at henne and marshall, they sucked together cause henne could not deliver, while marshall is a probowl wr he had no one to deliver the package to him and he confirmed that in the probowl after his probowl perforamance throwing henne under the bus. Denver offense has weapons? really?? did you not hear skip bayless on espn first take several times in the playoffs going ham on denver crap WRs???? lol there hole offense stinks and somehow tebow was able to do good with there crap weapons. They have a good TE but other than that, NOTHING. Manning is in for a wake up call that he is not god and he cannot win by himself.
Marshall still managed to put up the numbers despite Henne sucking and dropping a couple TDs. And did you just reference Skip Bayless in defense of your opinion? :lol: Oh, man. I thought you wanted to talk football?

And Tebow? Dear god. Actually, he's a perfect example of the effect a good QB has on the rest of the offense vs. what a **** QB does with it. Manning or any other GREAT QB isn't going to turn a **** WR into a HOFer. He will, however, bring their game up to the next level, if only as an illusion. A mediocre WR/TE will suddenly look good (Tamme, Collie, etc.). A **** QB can never do that. Hell, a mediocre QB can't do that. Manning has mediocre to decent WRs and TEs on that team. This year they're suddenly going to appear to have taken it to the next level, with at least one of them getting a pro bowl nod for what Manning brings (again, assuming Manning stays healthy). Mark it down.

first of all, well done slimm! talk about one hell of an undertaking and a pleasure to read.

So you mean you aren't subscribed to the newest fan club... "The WCO makes elite receivers... we dont need anymore" lol
WCO solves all problems. Don't need good WRs, hell, you don't even need 11 players on the field. It's strange that more teams don't switch to it, because it seems a lot easier. No talent needed.

WCO solves all problems. Don't need good WRs, hell, you don't even need 11 players on the field. It's strange that more teams don't switch to it, because it seems a lot easier. No talent needed.

That guy Walsh has tricked us all....

Back
Top Bottom