Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grading the Draft: All 32 Teams

Chicago Bears

#19 Overall -- Shea McClellin / DE-OLB / Boise St.

The Bears have a need for a pass rusher but I question this selection here considering they players they passed up. McClellin was my #11 defensive end and #4 'rush' linebacker in a 3-4 defense. I had late 2nd round/early 3rd round grade on him. Essentially I had the same grade on him that I had on Cam Johnson, who ended up lasting until the 7th round. Little bit of a reach here for the Bears, but they get one of the more versatile pass rushers in the draft. McClellin has played with his hand in the dirt, from a 2-point stance, and experienced dropping into coverage. Tested a little better athletically than he looks on film and that helped his stock. Grade: C+

#45 Overall -- Alshon Jeffery / WR / South Carolina

#8 wide receiver on my board who I had given a late 2nd round grade. Amidst all the rumors that have gotten started about this kid, his weight, his work ethic, etc... the fact that he can flat out play seemed to get lost in the shuffle somewhere. This is a dominant receiver when he's being fed the rock. Jeffery has the best ball skills in this class of receivers. Incredible hand-eye coordination and ability to track the football. Makes difficult catches look easy. Not a polished route runner yet and tends to round his routes off. Calmed the concerns about his speed by running well at his his pro-day. This is a heck of a selection to get what was once a top 10 talent here in the middle of the 2nd round. Grade: B

#79 Overall -- Brandon Hardin / CB-S / Oregon St.

#13 cornerback on my board had a 3rd round grade on Hardin, although his best position is safety in the NFL. One of the better athletes in the entire draft. A big kid (6'3", 217 pounds) with 4.4 speed and tremendous numbers in all other athletic tests. Didn't play last season due to injury, so durability issues and medical is a concern. Decent pick here in the 3rd round. Grade: C+

#111 Overall -- Evan Rodriguez / H-back / Temple

The #1 H-back on my board who I had given an early 5th round grade. Bears reach to secure him in the 4th round. Good player for Temple who led the team in receptions this past season, and threw a lot of key kick-out blocks on power for Bernard Pierce. Good player. Grade: C+

#184 Overall -- Isaiah Frey / CB / Nevada

I didn't scout this player and will defer to the Bears

#220 Overall -- Greg McCoy / CB / TCU

McCoy didn't make my draft board. Every time I watched him he was getting toasted. Grade: D+

Cincinnati Bengals

#17 Overall -- Dre Kirkpatrick / CB / Alabama

#3 cornerback on my board who I had an early 2nd round grade on. More of a zone corner where he can play with the action in front of him. Some stiffness in his hips during transition. Lengthy, physical corner who's a superb tackler and big hitter. Excellent special teams player for the Tide. Doesn't have the top notch off-man coverage ability to stay in-phase and make plays on the ball in the air, which is why he only had 3 INT's during his career. Will force fumbles when he tackles though. Little bit of a reach by the Bengals to get him this early in the 1st round, but should be an effective starter at some point. Grade: C+

#27 Overall -- Kevin Zeitler / OG / Wisconsin

Bengals nab the #2 guard on my board here with their second 1st round pick. I had an early 2nd round grade on Zeitler, therefore I don't consider this selection much of a reach...maybe by 5 or 6 picks. You rarely go wrong with Wisconsin offensive lineman. Reminds me a little of John Moffitt, who I was extremely high on last year and went to the Seahawks and became an immediate starter. Solid pick here. Grade: B+

#53 Overall -- Devon Still / DT / Penn St.

The #5 defensive tackle on my board who I had a late 1st/early 2nd round grade on. Potential steal here for the Bengals to get him late in the 2nd round. Needs some refinement but could be productive for Bengals as a 3-technique. Grade: A-

#83 Overall -- Mohamed Sanu / WR / Rutgers

The #5 wide receiver on my board with probably #2 potential at the next level, and I had given him a 2nd round grade. Bengals get great value again by getting this kid in the 3rd round. I've compared him to Hines Ward before when he was coming out of Georgia in terms of physicality with the ball in his hands and devastating blocking. He plays angry with or without the ball. Doesn't have blazing speed, but very good feel for the passing game. Experienced and productive as the trigger man for the Wildcat package. Grade: A

#93 Overall -- Brandon Thompson / DT / Clemson

#6 defensive tackle on my board who I had a 2nd round grade on. There was a time when Clemson produced good defensive lineman for the NFL back in the Chester McGlockton, Trevor Pryce days. However, they've struggled with a long line of overrated underachievers in recent years. Thompson is one of the best defensive lineman I've seen come out of Clemson since Trevor Pryce. Has a good chance to break the string of failures that have made scouts skiddish of Clemson defensive lineman. Great fit a 3-technique and should be a nice camp battle between Still and Thompson. This is another nice pick here. Grade: A

#116 Overall -- Orson Charles / TE / Georgia

#7 tight end on my board who I had a 5th round grade on. Bengals reach a little early here for Charles. Effort blocker and strong upper body. Inconsistent hands and can be thrown off his route when chucked by the SAM 'backer. We'll see. Grade: C-

#156 Overall -- Shaun Prater / CB / Iowa

Barely had a draftable grade on Prater. #27 cornerback on my board and had a late round grade on him. Weak tackler and not physical by any stretch. His teammate, Micah Hyde, is the better prospect and we'll talk about him plenty for the 2013 draft. Reach here. Grade: D+

#166 Overall -- Marvin Jones / WR / Cal

#12 wide receiver with #2 potential on my board and had a 4th round grade on Jones. Tendency to fight the ball into his hands and does drop some passes. Ran decent on a stopwatch which helped him. Teammate Keenan Allen is the real stud on that offense which we'll talk about plenty for the 2013 draft. Bengals get good value for Jones here. Grade: B-

#167 Overall -- George Iloka / S / Boise St.

#2 safety on my board behind Mark Barron. I had a 2nd round grade on Iloka and was surprised to see him last this long. This is an absolute steal at this point in the draft. Grade: A

#191 Overall -- Dan Herron / RB / Ohio St.

I had an early 5th round grade on Herron and had him as the #9 feature back on my board. Runs with outstanding pad level and grinds out the tough yards. Strong runner between the tackles. The Bengals may have found a keeper here. Grade: B+

Baltimore Ravens

#35 Overall -- Courtney Upshaw / DE-OLB / Alabama

Ravens draft the #5 defensive end and #2 3-4 'rush' linebacker on my board with third pick in the 2nd round. I had a late 1st round grade on Upshaw and felt his value might even be in the 15-19 range overall. Excellent job by Baltimore to get him here. Ozzie is familiar with who the stud defensive players are at his alma mater. Upshaw was the most dominant defensive player in the country for stretches last season. Extremely violent and powerful hands. Understands leverage and contain. Needs to keep his weight right around 265 to be in peak shape. He just looked like a Raven the whole time. Grade: B+

#60 Overall -- Kelechi Osemele / OT / Iowa St.

The #3 offensive tackle on my board and had a mid-2nd round grade on him. Could kick inside if he struggles at tackle, but shouldn't due to feet and extremely long arms. Comes off the board right about where he should have. Could have come off 10-12 picks earlier. Grade: B+

#84 Overall -- Bernard Pierce / RB / Temple

#4 feature back on my board and had a mid-3rd round grade. Comes off the board to Baltimore right about in that range. Productive runner with upright running style. Understands the concepts of running out of a pro style offense and reading blocks. Once he gets his pad level down he should be good to go. Grade: B-

#98 Overall -- Gino Gradkowski / OG / Delaware

Didn't scout this player and will defer to the Ravens on this selection.

#130 Overall -- Christian Thompson / S / South Carolina St.

This kid didn't make my draft board. Too stiff. Grade: F

#169 Overall -- Asa Jackson / CB / Cal-Poly

Steal. #14 cornerback on my board and I had a 3rd round grade on him. Also brings tremendous return skills on special teams. Slightly undersized corner who's fast, athletic, and has exceptional ball skills. Should contribute in dime packages and cover shifty slot receivers. Grade: B+

#198 Overall -- Tommy Streeter / WR / Miami

#17 wide receiver on my board and had a 6th round grade on him. Tall receiver with straight-linish speed. Only produced for one season. A tall, fast project. Worth the pick here. Grade: C+

#236 Overall -- Deangelo Tyson / DT / Georgia

Wasn't on my draft board. UGA tried to play him at nose tackle in 2010 during the first season they were implementing Todd Grantham's 3-4 defense and he simply wasn't cut out for it. More of a defensive end if anything. Grade: D+

any chance u do the dolphins soon tedslim? lol
By the order of things it looks like it will be a while. He's done the AFC West, NFC West, NFC North and now he's working on the AFC North. Good stuff though, just need some patience.

Cleveland Browns

#3 Overall -- Trent Richardson / RB / Alabama

The best player in the draft alongside Andrew Luck. He has no discernible weakness in his game. Far along even in the aspects that elite rookie RB prospects typically need work.. such as pass protection and blitz pickup/recognition. A rare prospect. One of the best players and people that I've ever seen come through Tuscaloosa. He'll change the entire attitude of the Browns offense and teammates will feed off of him. Grade: A+

#22 Overall -- Brandon Weeden / QB / Oklahoma St.

#2 quarterback on my board and I had an early 2nd round grade on him. The age factor is what it is. I'm always skeptical of Big-12 quarterbacks. However, I like Brandon Weeden as a prospect better than any Big-12 quarterback that's come before him. He does have issues with trusting his arm too much and forcing throws that lead to interceptions. Doesn't have tremendous ball placement.... tendency to throw high and leave his receivers exposed over the middle. Struggled in the Senior Bowl. Comfortable as a gunslinger and taking games on his shoulders. Little bit of a reach in the 1st round, but this is a quarterback league. If they can get 7-8 good years, it was worth the pick. Being able to turn around and hand it to Trent Richardson helps. Grade: B-

#37 Overall -- Mitchell Schwartz / OT / California

Loooooooong reach here. #15 tackle on my board who I had a 5th round grade on. I'm not convinced tackle is his permanent home... could kick inside if he struggles. Somebody really liked this kid. Grade: D-

#87 Overall -- John Hughes / DT / Cincinnati

Wasn't on my draft board. Never stood out when watching Derek Wolfe. Grade: F

#100 Overall -- Travis Benjamin / WR / Miami

Wasn't on my draft board. Very fast and undersized slot receiver/returner if anything. Grade: D-

#120 Overall -- James Michael-Johnson / ILB / Nevada

#4 inside linebacker on my board and had given him a 3rd round grade. Instinctive linebacker with range. Understands how to read his keys and avoid false steps. Should have come off the board earlier and Browns get a potential starter here. Grade: B

#160 Overall -- Ryan Miller / OG / Colorado

Wasn't on my draft board. Too tall and struggles with leverage. Durability issues. Grade: D-

#204 Overall -- Emmanuel Acho / ILB / Texas

#9 inside linebacker on my board and gave him a 6th round grade. Worth a shot here for a kid who can play at least 2 different linebacker positions. Grade: C-

#205 Overall -- Billy Winn / DT / Boise St.

#18 defensive tackle on my board and had a 5th round grade. Good pick here for a kid who' stock fell a little bit because he didn't test as well athletically as he hoped. Overachiever. Grade: C

#245 Overall -- Trevin Wade / CB / Arizona

I had a 5th round grade on Wade and was the #23 cornerback on my board. Underrated kid and a solid pick here for the Browns. Grade: C+

#247 Overall -- Brad Smelley / H-back / Alabama

#3 H-back on my board and had a 6th round grade on him. Clutch player as a Senior for the Tide sneaking out to catch passes, and always gave max effort blocking for our backs in the running game. Has a good shot to make the roster. Grade: C+

Pittsburgh Steelers

#24 Overall -- David DeCastro / OG / Stanford

During DeCastro's sophomore season, I felt like he was the best interior offensive lineman in college football... and one of the best I've ever seen. Compared him to John Hannah who is absolutely the best offensive lineman I've ever seen. I still don't flinch when I make it. DeCastro can be that good. He has no legitimate weakness. I gave him a top 10 overall grade a long time ago. Steelers get the best offensive lineman in the draft with Hall of Fame potential towards the latter portion of the 1st round. Grade: A+

#56 Overall -- Mike Adams / OT / Ohio St.

#7 offensive tackle on my board who I had given a 2nd round grade, which is where he comes off the board here to the Steelers. Inconsistent effort and marijuana issues pushed him down. Looks like a top 15 pick at times, other times looks like he's just going through the motions. One of the few tackles in the draft that have the ability to truly be a dominant player if he played to his potential. Steelers recognize his immense talent and take a shot here. I like this spot for Mike Adams. Grade: B

#86 Overall -- Sean Spence / OLB / Miami

Big reach for Spence here and a curious fit to begin with. #19 4-3 outside linebacker on my board and had a late round grade on Spence. Hits bigger than his size indicates. Not strong in the weight room, and he needs to be in order to make up for his lack of size. I don't understand this pick with better linebackers available. Grade: F

#109 Overall -- Alameda Ta'amu / DT / Washington

Steelers make up for the Spence pick here by getting a defensive tackle in round 4 who I had a 1st round grade on. #3 defensive tackle on my board, and one of the few true nose tackle prospects in this draft. Should take over for Casey Hampton at the 0-tech at some point. Fantastic quickness and movement skills for a player this size. I consider this a major steal. Grade: A+

#159 Overall -- Chris Rainey / ? / Florida

I can't figure the Steelers out here. They keep flip-flopping between some of the best and worst picks in the draft. Rainey wasn't on my draft board. He doesn't have a true position, and has psychopathic behavior in his past. Incredible quickness and change of direction. Goes down with a stiff breeze. Backs like Rainey and Jeff Demps are why Florida's offense instantly became non-competitive in the SEC after Tim Tebow turned pro. They can't run between the tackles. Florida was always at it's best when it had backs who could run between the tackles....Fred Taylor, Eric Rhett, Emmitt Smith, etc. They'll be competitive again when they start recruiting backs who can run between the tackles.

#231 Overall -- Tony Clemons / WR / Colorado

I didn't scout this player and will defer to the Steelers.

#240 Overall -- David Paulson / TE / Oregon

Paulson didn't make my draft board. Grade: D

#246 Overall -- Terrence Frederick / CB / Texas A&M

#17 cornerback on my board and had a 4th round grade on Frederick. Nick pick here this late. Grade: C+

#248 Overall -- Kelvin Beachum / OG / SMU

#13 guard on my board and a late round grade on him. Decent shot at a flyer here by the Steelers. Could eventually develope into a backup quality guard. Grade: C

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job although I disagree on some but well done,Sir.

Vikings and Bengals did very well in the draft.

Million $ question:

Kevin Zeitler + Brandon Thompson . . . or David DeCastro?

At least they got a really good player with the pick, but when you need an OG how do you move away from DeCastro that late in the 1st?

I'll be curious to see how the packers draft class pans out. With there knack of building through the draft and retaining players from the draft with little to no free agents, and your having 3 of their 8 picks not on your draft board, and another that you didn't scout.
I think it will be years before we can even get an asessment on B.J. coleman, unless we want to base it all off of preseason action.

nice work man, looks like a lot of man hours will be tied up in this!!!

Houston Texans

#26 Overall -- Whitney Mercilus / DE / Illinois

#9 defensive end on my board and had a 2nd round grade on Mercilus. Questionable pick considering who they passed up, but Texans obviously feel good about his 1 year of production. Relentless motor and gets a lot of his sacks due to second and third effort as opposed to flat out winning at the snap. Not the worst pick here, but not the best either in my opinion. Grade: C+

#68 Overall -- DeVier Posey / WR / Ohio St.

Posey wasn't on my draft board. Not a fan of him off the field or on it. I don't like this pick at all. Grade: F-

#76 Overall -- Brandon Brooks / OG / Miami (Ohio)

#3 guard on my board and had a 3rd round grade on Brooks. Should fit in well with the Texans zone blocking scheme. This kid can flat out play and should've been invited to the combine. Grade: A-

#99 Overall -- Ben Jones / C / Georgia

I had a 6th round grade on Jones and was rated my #6 center. One of the more overhyped offensive line prospects in the draft, and I just never saw it. Looked clueless at times. This is a reach. Grade: D+

#121 Overall -- Keshawn Martin / WR / Michigan St.

I didn't have Martin on my draft board. Slot receiver who could make the roster for Texans, but probably could've had him later. Grade: C-

#126 Overall -- Jared Crick / DE-DT / Nebraska

#14 defensive tackle on my board and #5 3-4 defensive end should he get looks from teams employing a 30 front and gave him a 4th round grade. Struggled with injuries as a Senior but can flat out play. One of the better picks of the entire 4th round. Grade: B

#161 Overall -- Randy Bullock / K / Texas A&M

I don't scout kickers unless they're in high school and in our division.

#195 Overall -- Nick Mondek / OT / Purdue

I didn't scout Mondek and will defer to the Texans on this pick.

I also caught your micah hyde comment. I will be watching him closely as well. At times, I think he has it, and at times I see him as an absolute liability out there. he makes my head hurt.

Iowa plays a lot of 7 man box. I am hopeful they will switch it up and instead of seeing so much off man, I hope we see some press coverage with micah this year and all the dbs really. Expose any weaknesses so a guy can get a real good evalutation on him. micah has been here long enough he should be stepping up into a leadership role. I've heard tanner miller has been impressive so far this spring. If I could get iowa to blitz once in awhile, i'd be able to see how these dbs do when they are the last line of defense!!! evidently, we don't like to use the B word here in iowa...

Indianapolis Colts

#1 Overall -- Andrew Luck / QB / Stanford

Colts opt to start off a new era here by selecting a rare quarterback prospect with the #1 overall pick, just like they did in '98 when they took Peyton Manning, and decided to open a new chapter of Colts football. Exact same thing I would've done. Grade: A+

#34 Overall -- Coby Fleener / TE / Stanford

They go right back to Palo Alto and select Luck's favorite weapon in the passing game. #1 tight end on my board and had a mid-late 1st round grade on Fleener. Deceptive speed and soft hands. Looks like he's gliding on the field.... natural runner. Chemistry with Luck is obviously built-in. Great pick here. Grade: A

#64 Overall -- Dwayne Allen / TE / Clemson

The #2 tight end on my board and gave him an early 2nd round grade. Colts land the top 2 TE's in the draft back-to-back in the 2nd round. Colts started Manning off with the 1-2 punch of Ken Dilger and Marcus Pollard early in his career. They'll do the same here with Luck. I thought Allen would go about 15 picks earlier. Grade: A-

#92 Overall -- T.Y. Hilton / WR / FIU

Not exactly Marvin Harrison as a route runner, but few ever have been. Hilton was my #3 slot receiver and gave him an early 3rd round grade. One of the most dangerous kick returners I've seen in years at the college level. Speed to burn, and operated mainly out of the slot for FIU... running past secondaries. Single handedly won FIU some games they shouldn't have won. Needs to carry the football better in traffic. Explosive. I like this pick. Grade: B+

#136 Overall -- Josh Chapman / DT / Alabama

#13 defensive tackle on my board and #2 nose tackle behind Ta'amu. I gave Chapman a 4th round grade. Immovable in the run game. I've never seen him move an inch. Played most of the season on a torn ACL and meniscus. The words "Pluck and Grit" in Alabama's fight song describe Chapman. Colts should be able to structure their 30 front around this 2-down plugger at nose tackle. These first 5 picks are terrific. Grade: B-

#170 Overall -- Vick Ballard / RB / Mississippi St.

Ballard was the #6 feature back on my board and had a late 4th round grade on him. Will make the Colts roster and contribute. Fantastic nose for the endzone. Grade: C+

#206 Overall -- LaVon Brazill / WR / Ohio

#12 slot receiver on my board and gave him a 5th round grade. Another kid who should make the roster and has upside as a developmental receiver. Probably should have come off the board earlier. Colts get another nice receiver here. Grade: C+

#208 Overall -- Justin Anderson / OT-G / Georgia

Anderson wasn't on my draft board. Other lineman I liked better. Grade: D

#214 Overall -- Tim Fugger / DE / Vanderbilt

Wasn't on my draft board but improved his stock by testing well in pre-draft process. Really only produced as a Senior and didn't impress me on tape. Grade: D

#253 Overall -- Chandler Harnish / QB / Northern Illinois

Harnish was my #9 quarterback and had a late 4th/early 5th round grade on him. Highly athletic, productive, and a winner for Northern Illinois... clutch. 4 year starter and one of the better collegiate bodies of work in this class. Struggled with some injuries earlier in his career, but not a major red flag. He's been on my underrated list for a long time. Another underrated MAC quarterback who was overlooked by the Big-10 and had something to prove. Played in an unconventional offense and will need development on fundamentals. I liked him better than a lot of quarterbacks in this draft. This Mr. Irrelevant is anything but irrelevant. He should eventually get a chance in this league, although a backup is his most likely destination. I've always compared his floor to Tyler Thigpen, and ceiling to Tony Romo. You can't possibly do better with the last pick in the draft. Grade: A

Last edited by a moderator:
Jacksonville Jaguars

#5 Overall -- Justin Blackmon / WR / Oklahoma St.

Jags traded up to take the #1 wide receiver on most boards with the 5th overall pick. Tremendous route runner with a large catch radius. Utilizes some advanced techniques to beat press coverage... sinks his hips and explodes out of breaks to create separation, and eats up a DB's cushion for the speed cut. Seems to be a good kid off the field other than one alcohol related incident. Will start week 1 for Jaguars. Grade: A-

#38 Overall -- Andre Branch / DE / Clemson

Wasn't on my draft board. Completely invisible in the Orange Bowl while his defense was busy giving up 70 points. The latest in a long line of overrated Clemson defensive ends. I don't like the pick. Grade: F

#70 Overall -- Brian Anger / P / California

I don't scout punters... but Jags obviously feel they need a good one with Blaine Gabbert.

#142 Overall -- Brandon Marshall / OLB / Nevada

#16 4-3 outside linebacker on my board and gave Marshall a 5th round grade. Decent pick here who should contribute at some point. Grade: C+

#176 Overall -- Mike Harris / CB / Florida St.

About the area where I had Harris graded. #28 cornerback on my board and had a 7th round grade. Didn't time well on a stopwatch and that hurt his already teetering draft stock. Does have pretty good fluidity in his hips and above-average ball skills. 14 PBU's, 5 INT's, and 2 forced fumbles over the past 2 seasons for the Seminoles. Worth a shot at this point. Grade: C+

#228 Overall -- Jeris Pendleton / DT / Ashland

Didn't scout this player and will defer to Jaguars on this selection.

Tennessee Titans

#20 Overall -- Kendall Wright / WR / Baylor

Titans select the #3 wide receiver on my board here who I had given a mid-late 1st round grade. Plays faster than he times. Blocks on the perimeter for the numerous bubble screens required in Art Briles' offense. Explosive after the catch. Reliable hands. Tremendous vertical threat. Was the star of Robert Griffin's pro day in my opinion. Grade: A-

#52 Overall -- Zach Brown / LB / North Carolina

Brown wasn't on my draft board because I'm not fond of linebackers who avoid contact. Great athlete. Bad football player. Grade: F-

#82 Overall -- Mike Martin / DT / Michigan

#11 defensive tackle on my board and had a 3rd round grade on Martin. Improved his stock after testing at or near the top in literally every athletic test at the combine for his position. Solid pick here for the Titans. Grade: B+

#115 Overall -- Coty Sensabaugh / CB / Clemson

#16 cornerback on my board and had a 4th round grade on Sensabaugh. Has all the physical skills to stick around for a while in the NFL. Smart player on film and solid pick here for the Titans. Grade: C+

#145 Overall -- Taylor Thompson / DT-DE / SMU

Didn't scout Thompson and will defer to Titans.

#190 Overall -- Markelle Martin / S / Oklahoma St.

#9 safety on my board and had a 4th round grade on Martin. Questionable football IQ in certain instances dings his grade for me. Wasn't the best player in the Oklahoma St. secondary, but solid pick here at this point in the draft. Grade: C+

#211 Overall -- Scott Solomon / DE / Rice

#14 defensive end on my board and had a 5th round grade on Solomon. Good lower body explosion for a pass rusher, but slow and not a very good athlete. Injury issues. Worth a flyer this late. Has been productive during his career for Owls. Grade: C

Back
Top Bottom