"Grading" the draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Grading" the draft

GeauxFinns3705

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I am seeing a bunch of reaction and grades to the draft, mostly negative. It's great that fans care enough to be outraged when things are perceived not to go well.

However, I think its instructive to be mindful of some of the details that get lost in the outrage.

One, the people in charge of our draft have a great deal of credibility in resurrecting franchises, most notably our own 2008 Miami Dolphins.

Two, on what basis are we dissatisfied? Probably on the most common mocks that are on the internet or provided by some other recruiting service. The overwhelming majority of these mocks are done with very little research and actual scouting. And of those that are done with scouting, they are not done with specific knowledge of what our "architects" are trying to accomplish.

For example...why Pat White? At first glance I was just as puzzled as anyone else. But our coaches, scouts, and braintrust have a detailed, long term plan for PW, and how he'll be used and what dynamic he will bring to the team. I find it hard to believe that all of the sudden, in year two of this current regime, the Trifecta got lazy and complacent. It doesn't figure. What does figure is they know things about our team that we do not and they took appropriate action this weekend.

Now, I am not going to go to the other extreme and say that this draft was the perfect execution of a flawless plan. That would be just as absurd as saying this draft was an abysmal failure. What I am suggesting is that we wait; we watch; we carefully critique the coming seasons play out and how the players we selected fared.

In 2011, we'll have a much better feel for this draft than we do now. I think many who are disappointed today may end up being surprised.

I've been trying to say that all day.....believe me, it doesn't work.....people on this board that didn't like the picks at the time will hate every pick unless the pick turns into a hall of famer......nothing we can do about it now other than wait and hope it works out for our team....but even if it turns out to be a great draft for us,people on here will still think they know more than our FO.

Ozzy rules!!

I am seeing a bunch of reaction and grades to the draft, mostly negative. It's great that fans care enough to be outraged when things are perceived not to go well.

However, I think its instructive to be mindful of some of the details that get lost in the outrage.

One, the people in charge of our draft have a great deal of credibility in resurrecting franchises, most notably our own 2008 Miami Dolphins.

Two, on what basis are we dissatisfied? Probably on the most common mocks that are on the internet or provided by some other recruiting service. The overwhelming majority of these mocks are done with very little research and actual scouting. And of those that are done with scouting, they are not done with specific knowledge of what our "architects" are trying to accomplish.

For example...why Pat White? At first glance I was just as puzzled as anyone else. But our coaches, scouts, and braintrust have a detailed, long term plan for PW, and how he'll be used and what dynamic he will bring to the team. I find it hard to believe that all of the sudden, in year two of this current regime, the Trifecta got lazy and complacent. It doesn't figure. What does figure is they know things about our team that we do not and they took appropriate action this weekend.

Now, I am not going to go to the other extreme and say that this draft was the perfect execution of a flawless plan. That would be just as absurd as saying this draft was an abysmal failure. What I am suggesting is that we wait; we watch; we carefully critique the coming seasons play out and how the players we selected fared.

In 2011, we'll have a much better feel for this draft than we do now. I think many who are disappointed today may end up being surprised.
I'm glad you have such blind faith. I don't share that same enthusiasm.

I for one am comfortable with the decisions Ireland and Parcells made.. I dont remember if it was here or on another forum, but i debated about the possibilities of miami drafting both Davis and Smith as their no.1 and 2 picks.. i didnt hit it right on the money, but i was pretty accurate. The dolphins drafted both of my favorite corners in this years draft while adding talent and prospects in other positions..

i will admit that the Pat White decision puzzled me, it will be interesting how things go come training camp and the preseason. it was said that Henne would garner up more snaps in the preseason, but i want to see how things get shaken up now with White in the mix.. Looks like it will be a 3qb competition with Pennington the likely winner.

my thoughts though are in the 2010 season. what will happen when Penny is no longer here? can Henne hold off Pat or will the dolphins be running an offense, with the wildcat added, that compares to the screen and options playbook Atlanta had in the Vick days..

I see our defense doing extremely well in coverage schemes with our new addition, and it might appear to me that Beck and Jason allen might be cut or traded before the regular season begins if they fail to make an impact in training camps or preseason

Just curious, Mel Kiper put out his draft grades already today but its for ESPN Insider's only. Anyone know what he graded us to be?

I don't have "blind faith". I gave reasons to support my assertions. Blind faith would be saying "I know all of these guys will be good". I've never said such a thing. Or saying a player who has been bad in the past like Jason A. will all of the sudden be a quality starter.

I do have faith, but it ain't blind. My eyes are open. My senses are keen. I know improvement when I see it. And the Fins helped themselves this weekend...to what extent, I cannot be sure. But I do think at QB, WR, and CB...we are a much different (better) team.

And what knowledge of the draft and football do you have?

Have you personally evaluated these players at all?

Likely a NO to both categories, you just go off of whatever mock drafts you see on the internet and place value on the players they have listed high on their boards. What is the problem with waiting and seeing how these guys fit into our team?

Why is "blind faith" when someone takes a wait and see approach?

Don't be pissed if your mock draft got blown out of the water. Be pissed if we fall to 6-10 because our O-line or D-line has pass block/rush issues.

That would be cause for concern that our front office does not know the talent on the team and should have drafted differently.

Back
Top Bottom