Great article saying Gase conservative offense doesn't fit Parker's Elite skill set.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jerrysanders, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders Well-Known Member

Even though advanced stats show Parker was elite when given the opportunity he still wasn't being used properly in Adam Gase's extremely conservative style offense. Parker was more productive on a per catch basis in Philbin's offense even though he made notable improvements to his game this year.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/5-afc-players-might-need-change-scenery/
    I hesitate to say Parker needs a change of scenery and leave it at that. He has been a solid producer in Miami and will likely see another decent bump in his production if he stays. Ryan Tannehill showed flashes of improvement last year in Miami, but he’ll probably never be the quarterback to test tight windows consistently, especially in the vertical portions of the field, where Parker really thrives. The quarterback’s increased aggressiveness last year boded well for Parker’s production, but the connection was still inconsistent. Adam Gase’s offense was fairly flexible last season, but the Dolphins rely on the short-intermediate passing game more than anything, which requires quick separation and detailed route runners to be successful.

Parker has improved in this area, but his strengths are his abilities to make plays over the top of defenses and to dominate at the catch point, areas he has wowed in when given the chance at Miami. This offense may never be perfectly tailored to his best traits, and while Parker will still produce, a downfield scheme like Arizona, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis (I’d kill for this), or even Pittsburgh would be far more natural fits for what he offers. So while I think it would be foolish for Miami to jettison the third-year receiver (and obviously they won’t), I do think there are better landing spots out there for Parker to truly thrive in the NFL.

2. K-Rob

K-Rob #1 Fin Cheerleader - Chiquita Lady Lumps Finheaven VIP

Gase's conservative offense? Better under Phibin? What?? Haven't Gase's offenses set records in the past? Didn't Tannehill have a career year, especially with the deep ball? Have I asked too many questions? Was that another question?

3. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Gase doesnt have a conservative offense. #2 big play offense in the entire NFL...

4. Sherif

Sherif Pro Bowler

he’ll probably never be the quarterback to test tight windows consistently, especially in the vertical portions of the field,

Not sure how accurate that is. I've seen Tannehill throw underneath when something was available downfield but he is improving.

Bufeo likes this.
  5. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" - Marino Finheaven VIP Donator

Fanrag, huh? Well, based on this guy, I guess we better just enjoy him for the next couple years then....

6. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Lollllllll, this is as silly of an analysis as I have seen. Gase is tremendous at getting the best out of his players skill sets.

Parkers lack of production has a lot more to do with Parker than anyone else. Once he plays 16 healthy games come talk to me about it being someone else's fault.

"..when you blame things on other people, it takes the power out of your hands, and it puts it in their hands..." -Ricky Williams

spiketex, Pandarilla and Stoobz like this.
  7. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders Well-Known Member

Our offense was ranked 24th in the NFL, our passing offense was ranked 26; Tannehill and Alex Smith had the highest screen percentage at 13.96% and 13.62% but Smith's yards per screen were 8.85 compared to Tannehill's 4.53 (landry screens were highly ineffective). Calling our offense conservative is understatement; Ajayi and Drake had more 40 yd runs than any other rb group in the NFL ; and Tannehill is near the bottom of the league in terms of air yardage meaning our receivers yac contributed to many of our big plays, which is the reason we ranked so highly in terms of big plays.

gunn34 and dnespins like this.
  8. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

The Colts fan that wrote that article has no clue what he is talking about.

9. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Where did you get the screen % numbers? Not saying they're wrong... I would just love to see how the other qb's ranked. It feels like Brady throws way more screens and dump offs than Tannehill. Seeing that we use some of those receiver screens as running plays, 4.5 yards per carry doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  10. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Idk man just pop in a Parker and Stills highlight reel. They have both caught many bombs. Tannehill was also ranked a top 10 deep passer this past season. I think we are fine

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Don't quit your day job Jon ledyard

12. gregorygrant83

I notice that ESPN has Tannehill with 90 passes thrown to targets behind the line of scrimmage and Brady throwing 77. It shows Tannehill averaged more yards on those passes than Brady did. It shows Tannehill averaged 5.2 yards on passes thrown behind the line if scrimmage which seemed inline with other qbs. They show Alex Smith with 115 passes and 5.5 yard average. Oh and that's Tannehill at 5.2 yards per attempt on passes behind the line of scrimmage not per completion on those passes. I'm curious how different the numbers for passes to targets behind the line of scrimmage is different from screens?

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

No offense throws the ball by design behind the los as in the primary more than the Kansas City chiefs offense

They rely on the backs as primary pass options on repeat. There's not a lot of 3rd and 4th progression wr concepts in that offense

14. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

Man it would be sad to scour the internet to find obscure articles to support an agenda. I have to wonder why someone follows a team so closely if they hate a key player that I'll be here for a long time. Seems more of a time consuming aggravation that could be filled with a less stressful and presumably more enjoyable hobby.

dolpns13 likes this.
  15. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

I don't see how you could have watched our offense last year and consider it conservative.

dolpns13 and foozool13 like this.
  16. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Wort-wort-wort!!! Administrator Finheaven VIP

I'm sorry. If Parker has elite skill sets, wouldn't that mean he could adapt and excel in any system?

foozool13 likes this.
  17. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

An awful article at best.

foozool13 likes this.
  18. Digital

Digital Starter

So I think the disconnect is an issue with Parker, not the offense. I've said it before, but there's a reason players play hurt the season before the draft ... to showcase themselves and raise their draft status. It is not uncommon for them to enter the NFL with nagging injuries that take a year or so to fully heal. Parker was one of those guys. Not saying it was his fault ... but the lingering foot issues slowed his tightening up of his route running, reduced his explosion, and held him back. When he was healthy, he flashed. When he wasn't ... he disappeared a bit. I'm a huge DeVante Parker fan ... but his career thus far has been on him, not on Gase, Tannehill, the offense or anyone else.

From what we're hearing this pre-season, Parker has got the message. He is showing up and playing hard every practice. He is running crisper routes. He improved his leg strength. He is being more aggressive on the field and more devoted to football off the field. And it shows.

I'm expecting a big jump in production from him this year. I think this is the year he starts commanding double teams.

nick1, cuchulainn, Avigatorx and 2 others like this.
  19. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Shameless fan propaganda aiming at wresting one of our players. Parker vs. Hooker should prove to be epic.

20. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Shameless fan propaganda aiming at wresting one of our players. Parker vs. Hooker should prove to be epic.

21. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Im going to ask the admins if we can get a fanblog icon so these threads can clearly be spotted

22. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

"Journalism"

23. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Writer has head up his behind. Tannehill showed "flashes" of improvement? Tannehill will never test tight windows especially vertically down the field? Gimme a ****ing break! Gase's conservative offense?

This article is toilet paper worthy.

foozool13 likes this.
  24. PhishyPhishy

PhishyPhishy Well-Known Member

Cool article my ***. Nothing to see here. Next article you like, just keep it to yourself.

25. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Let's talk after the puts up (2012-2014) Demaryius Thomas type numbers in 2017.

26. DZimmer000

DZimmer000 BJJ Black Belt

This might be the worst thread ever. Just Sayin

foozool13 likes this.
  27. xSxPxHx

xSxPxHx Scout Team

OP Jerry Sanders said this was a "Great" article..... unreal...

Travis34 and BlueUndertow like this.
  28. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Yet Tannehill had his best year at throwing the deep ball.

He must've been really conservative in Denver while Peyton was breaking records.

I think last year was more feeling out who's who and what can they do.

Why don't we all just make BS blogs of other teams? Guy is clueless

29. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

We are all dumber for having read that.

13ktownguy and JakeemThe Dream like this.
  30. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

31. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

More excuses for this supposed elite talent's under-performance? Time for him to man up and show that he was worthy of the first round pick.

32. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

Ask Kenny Stills about how a WR whose skill set is getting over the top of a defense can operate in this offense with Tannehill throwing.

33. gregorygrant83

I don't know that we're going to pass enough for Parker to get those numbers, Landry to get his, get decent use of Stills and then also feed Thomas at tight end. All that plus getting Ajayi 350 rush attempts and more involved in the passing game seems like a tall order.

I think for Parker to have monster numbers either Landry or Stills numbers will have to take a serious dip. I would me ok with more Parker, a little less Landry and the same from Stills, but we'll see how it plays out. I'm trying not to look at stats when it comes to judging Parker, because there are always other factors that control how many targets you get.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  34. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

35. Snoop

Snoop Well-Known Member

Michael Thomas numbers maybe.... 1400 yards with double digit TDs is a long shot. I don't know if he'll ever be that good.

36. gregorygrant83

I think he's that good now. If Parker played with Brees in Payton's offense he would put up 92 receptions and 1,100 yards. Thomas' numbers would look different too if he played with Stills & Landry and the offense was had the fewest passing attempts in the league. Hell the Saints threw 200 more passes than Miami last season. If the Dolphins throw the ball that much Parker's numbers look totally different.

37. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

That may be a bit optimistic for this offense but IMO, not due his lack of talent. The 2014 Broncos passed the ball almost 600 times that year and only rushed 442 times. Well over 1000 offensive plays. We have the luxury of Jay Ajayi so that won't happen but I expect the offense to get more snaps than the 882 they had last year. Closer to 1000. 520 passing and 480 rushing attempts.

Travis34 likes this.
  38. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

LMAO! Gase dose not have a conservative offense. It has been limited by a below average O-Line that gets worse with injury. Also the biggest thing that has limited Parker is injury, due in part to him not taking care of himself the way he should!

39. Dsteve

Dsteve Banned Hammered

Bad offensive line means more quick passes. Makes it doubly ****ing stupid as to why we didn't address the guard and eventual center issue this off season.

gunn34 likes this.
  40. hoops

hoops exited stage left

those numbers aren't overly optimistic if we can stick with the fast tempo on offense

I'm doubting ajayis gonna end up with 350 carries in that pace offense and miamis gonna get some good looks in the passing game to exploit when teams play more basic coverage and can't match personnel