Greater Short Term Success, or Long Term Playoff Contention? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greater Short Term Success, or Long Term Playoff Contention?

Greater Short Term Success, or Long Term Playoff Contention?

• Give me the best chance at a SB NOW, and worry about the future later

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Keep building now and hope they turn into a SB contender some day

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Would you rather win a SB or two in the next 3 years then have to struggle for a while because you need more players to contend, or build up the team now and have a solid team that is in contention for the playoffs every year but you might not win a SB for another 10 years if ever. Basically would you trade a SB now for long term success?

To be honest I'm really kind of torn between these two options and I know it doesn't matter because I have no effect on what will happen but I'd almost trade my soul for a Miami Dolphins SB win at this point. But then again I REALLY don't want to have to watch losing seasons for years and years to come either. But then again I just want to see them win a damn SB before I die lol.

Super Bowl. Pretty easy really. I've seen long term contenders (in the 80's and 90's, not recently). I've never seen a SB victory. I've been in two cities when their teams won the SB (New Orleans and just this week NYC), and there is nothing that compares to it sports fan-wise. Certainly not the pain of watching a playoff loss (or over 10 years of mediocre/bad football).

I'd take the SB now, and worry about the future later. If we start to become a franchise that wins again....the players will come.

You play to win the game. Why couldn't we do both? Teams like the packers and steelers are always contending. That's where I want to be. Give me the Super Bowl now and the give me more Super Bowls later

Super Bowl
it's almost been 30 years since we last made it to the Super Bowl. So for me as much as the long term success would be great. I want a freaking Super Bowl winner first.

I don't understand the thought peocess one or the other? As a roster this team is a qb, rt, and safety away from winning in the post season. If and I repeaf if Philbin is a good hc! Why cant this team compete now with P. Manning while developing a qb of the future? Hell Jim Caldwell is a pick 6 away from Superbowl Champion with Peyton, but without he is fired!

I don't understand the thought peocess one or the other? As a roster this team is a qb, rt, and safety away from winning in the post season. If and I repeaf if Philbin is a good hc! Why cant this team compete now with P. Manning while developing a qb of the future? Hell Jim Caldwell is a pick 6 away from Superbowl Champion with Peyton, but without he is fired!

Relax man... it was hypothetical. I'm not saying both couldn't happen and of course we all want the team to win the SB next year and every year after that until we die but again it was just a hypothetical question. Would you rather the team win a SB now and struggle for a while after that or be a solid team for a long time always having winning records but never win the SB?

This is BY FAR the most DEPRESSING thread I have ever read on this message board. It rivals the "what would you do if the dolphins lost a SB thread".

I mean seriously folks doom and gloom is so last year, Sparano is GONE!!!

This is BY FAR the most DEPRESSING thread I have ever read on this message board. It rivals the "what would you do if the dolphins lost a SB thread".

I mean seriously folks doom and gloom is so last year, Sparano is GONE!!!

The dolphins winning a SB or having a good team every year is depressing to you? Cheer up buddy

We need to build the right way. I'd hate to end up back at the bottom of the heap in a few years.

I'd love to see a Super Bowl. It's great to be a long term playoff contender, but the teams that go through that normally also are poor drafters during that time period. So when the window of competing closes, you have a long term rebuild. Look at teams like the Rams after Vermeil left, Kansas City, Seattle, Buffalo, Jacksonville, to a lesser extent Carolina and even Indy. Yeah Indy won a Super Bowl with a good core, but most of that core is long gone. They would have still been a 10 win team with Peyton, but they wouldn't get to a Super Bowl with their current team.

I want to win a Super Bowl now and later. Just because we get a veteran QB like Manning doesn't mean we stop developing players behind him and around him. We draft a QB this year late, I like Kellen Moore- guy just wins. We let him sit behind Peyton for the next 3 years and perfect his game and then make a seamless transition in 2015-2016. I don't understand the thought process of a fan who thinks it has to be either/or. If we draft well each year our team will be in contention, if we don't we have seen what happens. Its just that simple. Get Peyton and win now while building for the future.

I may be alone on this but.... I'd rather go into every season actually expecting to go to the superbowl again. Yeah it was rough on my soul when we didn't, but those were some great times! Looking forward to a playoff run. Being in contention every year. Actually having people talk about the dolphins (in a good way). More importantly, not saying "I'm a dolphins fan" with my tail between my legs.

I still say it... But my credibility in drunken football debates goes down INSTANTANEOUSLY!!!

Super Bowl, really?

Our first benchmark is competitive & playoffs ... which is staying consistently above the .500 Mendoza line!! I'm hopeful, but not betting!!

That's a stout task for Ireland & a first-time coach & many newby assistants ... hope experienced Sherman & Coyle can keep it all on track for Philbin!!

Heard the same flub dub last year & we couldn't even 3-Peat. Would have been dire straights except Moore saved our bacon from the fire.

You play to win the game. Why couldn't we do both? Teams like the packers and steelers are always contending. That's where I want to be. Give me the Super Bowl now and the give me more Super Bowls later

Its good to see someone with a brain around this place.

Back
Top Bottom