Greg Cote:10 finalists for Dolphins’ No. 1 pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Cote:10 finalists for Dolphins’ No. 1 pick

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami has been a bit better lately, though. The Pats have not drafted a player who made a Pro Bowl since Jamie Collins in 2013. Miami has had two since then in Jarvis Landry (2014 draft) and Jay Ajayi (2015) — two huge reasons why last season finally ended the Dolphins’ eight-year playoff drought.

That is why exceptional talent should be the target priority more than a specific position. Ideally, you get both: Special talent where help is most needed. With that in mind, here’s my first-round draft guide for the Dolphins:

Defense, defense, defense! Did I mention defense? Outside linebacker, cornerback, edge pass rusher, safety — Miami needs ’em all.
Here are defenders who should interest the Dolphins at No. 22, offered alphabetically:
Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley: A 4.44 40 at the Scouting Combine elevated his stock to first round, maybe even pre-Miami. Fins need to be (much) better at this position, and the long-armed Conley had 26 college starts for a major, successful program.

Florida linebacker Jarrad Davis: Mainly an inside guy but can also play outside. An interesting possibility if Dolphins decide that’s valuable versatility, not an in-betweener who never quite finds a niche.

Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster: Slight chance he drops to 22nd. Pro-ready with that Bama pedigree.

Missouri defensive end Charles Harris: Super-productive, with 18 sacks over past two seasons.

Washington cornerback Kevin King: A 6-3 cover-corner with speed demands the notice of a team light on quality at the CB spot.

Michigan State defensive tackle Malik McDowell: Although I’d hesitate to spend my first pick on the interior line, where the need is mostly for depth.

Michigan anything-man Jabrill Peppers: A bit of a reach/risk at 22 maybe, but Peppers has huge upside/potential. A linebacker who can rush, cover and play safety. Idolized Charles Woodson and has some of the same skill set.

Temple linebacker Haasan Reddick: Doubt he’ll last, but grab him if he does. Another versatile inside/outside guy whose stock shot north with a great Senior Bowl and Combine. Height (6-1) isn’t ideal, but all of the other optics flash ‘n shine.

Only two offensive players should be considered by Miami in the first round:
1. Miami tight end David Njoku.

2. Western Kentucky guard Forrest Lamp.

I don’t care that the Fins bolstered at tight end by signing Julius Thomas and reacquiring Anthony Fasano. Njoku would be a dynamic pick, an offense-minded, down-the-field TE whose selection would convey the warning: “We want an offense that’s great, not just good.”

Lamp? He’s the only first-round-quality guard in this draft, and his selection would target a weak spot on the offensive line.

Conley is a good movement guy but he's such a *****. I just couldn't stomach him in a Dolphins uniform. The guy's blooper reel would look like a Sasha Grey best of compilation.

No Willis? What are these guys smoking

The draft is hard. Especially on the back end. I'm not a need guy but I get the balance to fill holes and the urgency to win now.

Njoku looks athletically smoother than Howard. Miami is desperate for defense but he could be hard to pass up. I can live without Lamp, I would rather gamble on defense.

Foster would be the score. I like Davis over Reddick. It's not ideal but I could be on board if that plays out.

Peppers could be boom or bust but I would likely roll the dice on him. He has a lot of energy.

Conley is a good movement guy but he's such a *****. I just couldn't stomach him in a Dolphins uniform. The guy's blooper reel would look like a Sasha Grey best of compilation.

Seems to be a trend for Ohios St cbs. Watching Apple try to tackle people last year was almost as bad.

and to quote you on twitter, you think Desmond King is a legit candidate no?

That's a pretty good list.

If I had to guess, I'd say Jabrill Peppers is atop Miami's wishlist at #22. That Mike Mayock has him as the top safety says that he considers his flaws to be coachable issues.

I would add Taco Charlton and Cam Robinson as possibilities.

The draft is hard. Especially on the back end. I'm not a need guy but I get the balance to fill holes and the urgency to win now.

Njoku looks athletically smoother than Howard. Miami is desperate for defense but he could be hard to pass up. I can live without Lamp, I would rather gamble on defense.

Foster would be the score. I like Davis over Reddick. It's not ideal but I could be on board if that plays out.

Peppers could be boom or bust but I would likely roll the dice on him. He has a lot of energy.

Hey Dogbone --- think you are spot on with Njoku. I love his ability to be physical and get yards after the catch. I absolutely believe he'd be a star in an Adam Gase offense. Would be hard to pass him up even though the needs are so apparent on the defensive side.

I'm going to sound like a freaking genius (sarcasm) but everything points to Miami wanting to add a pass rusher, a nickle, and another guard. Captain obvious I know. But slot could also mean Jabril Peppers

Back
Top Bottom