Greg Gabriel: Why Jack Conklin is the most underrated 2016 NFL Draft prospect | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Gabriel: Why Jack Conklin is the most underrated 2016 NFL Draft prospect

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In the 3-cone drill, which measures change of direction, quickness, body control and flexibility, Conklin timed 7.63 seconds while Stanley timed 8.03. Stanley came back at the Notre Dame pro day to time 7.96. Tunsil has yet to perform the drill. In that drill, four-tenths of a second is a huge difference!

Looking at the 20-yard shuttle, another quick change of direction drill that also requires balance and body control, Conklin timed 4.57 seconds which is excellent for any offensive lineman.
Stanley again was much slower, finishing the drill in 4.90, another huge difference. Stanley came back at his pro day to time 4.68, and that was with four more weeks at practicing the drill.

When you do a side-by-side comparison of the three from an athletic view point, Conklin compares favorably. In fact, he IS the best athlete of the three. Looking at tape, the three didn’t share many common opponents. Both Stanley and Conklin played Ohio State and in watching the games back-to-back, Conklin played better as well as playing a more physical style game.

On tape, Tunsil looks like the most athletic player, but Conklin is clearly the most physical of the three. That said, to say that Conklin can’t play left tackle and isn’t the equal of the other two is ridiculous. He is easily the most underrated player in this draft and if he doesn’t get drafted until the teens, some lucky club got a steal.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/20...t-underrated-2016-nfl-draft-prospect/ao6ooqr/

I agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that the three cone drill times were interesting, Conklin is a very good athlete. OL isn't my position of choice for # 13 but you'd get a player who can step in at Guard and be a long term answer at Tackle. He might go in the top 10 and I don't think he'll last longer than #16.

I thought that the three cone drill times were interesting, Conklin is a very good athlete. OL isn't my position of choice for # 13 but you'd get a player who can step in at Guard and be a long term answer at Tackle. He might go in the top 10 and I don't think he'll last longer than #16.

Conklin is nasty and that always translates. I'd also be surprised if Pouncey and Albert are not released next year. I'll take Conklin over any CB not named Ramsey.

just to clarify I never said Conklin can't play left tackle...I said in an 11 personnel based o where you are heavily pass pro set based that I don't see the foot or lateral quickness athlete on tape to justify it...his test scores contradict that it appears if these are accurate but at the end of the day I will go with what I see on tape which is a limited foot and lateral short area quickness athlete

the fact that he's a mauler may help but I don't think you can find any left tackle in a 11 personnel based o who has the same feet and lateral quickness on tape anywhere in the league...if there is I don't know of one and I'm all ears to hear it...if im drafting that for Miami it's guard or right tackle and kicked inside he's gonna have to play with more knee bend and leverage at 6 foot 6

I don't see how it replaces albert down the line as a long term left tackle...the mauler side of things fits right tackle best I'd say especially in the run game...I like his disposition and he plays thru the whistle but if I'm drafting that at left tackle long term it's not for our style offense

if he was a better foot and lateral quickness athlete I don't think you'd see him push secondary level rushers from behind as much as he does when he comes off to try and pick them up...he'd square them up more...it's not an awareness issue cause the awareness is good

Last edited by a moderator:
just to clarify I never said Conklin can't play left tackle...I said in an 11 personnel based o where you are heavily pass pro set based that I don't see the foot or lateral quickness athlete on tape to justify it...his test scores contradict that it appears if these are accurate but at the end of the day I will go with what I see on tape which is a limited foot and lateral short area quickness athlete

the fact that he's a mauler may help but I don't think you can find any left tackle in a 11 personnel based o who has the same feet and lateral quickness on tape anywhere in the league...if there is I don't know of one and I'm all ears to hear it...if im drafting that for Miami it's guard or right tackle and kicked inside he's gonna have to play with more knee bend and leverage at 6 foot 6

I don't see how it replaces albert down the line as a long term left tackle...the mauler side of things fits right tackle best I'd say especially in the run game...I like his disposition and he plays thru the whistle but if I'm drafting that at left tackle long term it's not for our style offense

if he was a better foot and lateral quickness athlete I don't think you'd see him push secondary level rushers from behind as much as he does when he comes off to try and pick them up...he'd square them up more...it's not an awareness issue cause the awareness is good

Do you think James could kick over to the left side long term with Conklin manning RT? I thought I remember you saying James could eventually play LT for us, but I don't trust my memory all that well. Obviously James has struggled in the little time he has spent for us at LT, but he hasn't exactly worked there much.

Do you think James could kick over to the left side long term with Conklin manning RT? I thought I remember you saying James could eventually play LT for us, but I don't trust my memory all that well. Obviously James has struggled in the little time he has spent for us at LT, but he hasn't exactly worked there much.

yes I do...but I don't know if Miami sees it that way...james run game play is more suited for the left side...he's got left tackle feet and short area lateral quickness for pass pro plus very good technique

it will be interesting to see what/if Miami makes an early oline pick the skill set they look for...if it's a Jason spriggs for instance you are basically saying that he's my 3rd tackle because you can't kick it inside...would mean bushrod is actually here competing at guard plan a wise etc

Scouting report on Branden Albert coming out of Virginia was a mix of projections to tackle and guard and he only played two games at left tackle in college. One of the knocks on him was "marginal lateral quickness".

Scouting report on Branden Albert coming out of Virginia was a mix of projections to tackle and guard and he only played two games at left tackle in college. One of the knocks on him was "marginal lateral quickness".

I don't agree with that marginal lateral quickness and I saw him play every game at uva...I do agree with the tackle/guard mixed bag though...tackle more the projection cause he didn't play it much...still the feet and lateral quicks I saw were safe to project at either...I had him graded as a guard left tackle

d brick more fit the left tackle mold though

Conklin would be a left guard for Miami and it would be a question mark moving him over to left tackle. He could do it, the question is how valuable he'd be there. We talking about a Donald Penn or we talking about a Joe Thomas? I tend to doubt the latter.

Ronnie Stanley is the most dependable left tackle prospect in this draft.

Laremy Tunsil is a terrific player from a technical standpoint and from energy and effort standpoints, but I saw only two opponents in 2015 that had the ability to really test him. One of those opponents (Myles Garrett) seemed to be visibly hurting and limping during the game, and the game went away from them anyway so he never really got much chance to test out Tunsil. The other opponent (Carl Lawson) only faced Tunsil a handful of times as he mostly made Fahn Cooper his slave that day, but it was clear on the handful of times he faced Tunsil that he was getting the better of Laremy consistently. Whenever I've looked at Tunsil, I see a player that like it or not looks kind of small. His dimensions 6050 & 310 lbs are small for a left tackle, though his wingspan at 83" is ideal. I just wonder why I'm paying for a 6050 & 310 lbs guy who is not a great athlete and was impressive in pass pro at the college level mostly on a combination of technical refinement and a poor slate of opponent pass rushers.

I'd love to have five Laremy Tunsils on my offensive line, but a #1 overall? I can't like him more than Ronnie Stanley, let alone enough to make him the top pick.

for our o Ronnie Stanley is the correct left tackle fit

that kids meant to play left tackle in an 11 personnel based offense

Jmo but I think that some are underestimating Conklin's movement skills, and overall I'd rather have him at OT Left or Right) than Stanley. I expected more from the Stanley's tape, he plays soft and was generally underwhelming to me. The capper is that Conklin can start out as a powerful OG then move to LT when Albert is phased out, he's that two birds/one stone solution.

I like Shon Coleman as an OT/OG convert, tremendous run blocker but I'm not thrilled with him as an OT, a bit stiff and I don't like his reaction time. As a run blocker he's a straight up beast. He just doesn't offer the positional versatility that Conklin does imo.

When Conklin takes a few steps out of the box it looks like his upper body is too heavy for his legs and he falls forward.

I like Conklin but I'm not taking numbers too seriously.

Wouldn't be at all disappointed with Jack Conklin at #13. I think he's a better athlete than given credit for, which his combine numbers support. I see a lot of Jake Long in him.

Conklin is an athletic steamroller, very aggressive. I keep watching the film and I'd have no problem with him at LT, RT or OG, bottom line. Kick slide, mirroring, picking up stunts, he does fine with all of that, the guy can move laterally. And he'll take your freaking head off in the running game. Put him in for Dallas Thomas and watch what happens, Branden Albert goes down and he can slide to LT. And be the LT of the future. Might be my second favorite pick for us at #13 after Nkemdiche, just a great fit for the Dolphins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmggF11UhI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUrV2cgedtY

Back
Top Bottom