Greg Jennings on ESPN this morning: Talks about impending Free Agency | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Jennings on ESPN this morning: Talks about impending Free Agency

TealAttack13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Greg Jennings was on ESPN this morning; Here is the gist of what he said (sorry if I forgot anything, I was trying to jot all of this down while listening):

He said that he isn't necessarily done as a Packer (but he sold his house and he isn't going to say right now that he's leaving anyway).

He said that as much as he is a Packer, he is a businessman as well, and he wants to do what is best for himself and his family.

He also said that he is embracing the opportunity to leave because there are a lot of great organizations out there, but also because he "has to" embrace is. He also eluded to the Packers putting him in that position. My guess is that he gave them a number, and they rejected it.

He also talked briefly about how strange it would be going into that locker room next season and not seeing Donald Driver.

All in all, he talked a lot and told us nothing, but until the season is done, he can't talk about it anyway. He spoke a few times about the opportunity to leave, and the "excitement" about determining his future (in quotations because he eluded to it more then said it directly, but you could tell that's what he meant). I think the only thing we can assume for sure is that his time in Green Bay is done, whether he says it or not. All we can hope for is that we bring him a deal that satisfies his needs.

Anyone think he(his agent) has already had conversations with Miami? Many deals are struck before free agency, I'm just wondering if they happen this early.

Anyone think he(his agent) has already had conversations with Miami? Many deals are struck before free agency, I'm just wondering if they happen this early.

I don't know. Goodell is such a disciplinarian, and wouldn't this be considered tampering? I'm not sure that either side is going to run the risk. I could however see "sources" talking amongst each other and "rumors" being traded between the camps.

I don't know. Goodell is such a disciplinarian, and wouldn't this be considered tampering? I'm not sure that either side is going to run the risk. I could however see "sources" talking amongst each other and "rumors" being traded between the camps.
It's definitely tampering and completely against the rules. It also happens every year. When someone signs hours after midnight at the opening of free agency, they have to be talking early.

It's definitely tampering and completely against the rules. It also happens every year. When someone signs hours after midnight at the opening of free agency, they have to be talking early.

Right, but they weren't talking as much as they were "talking". I think it's the same situation as "sources" sending "rumors" between camps. I don't know for sure that prior to midnight the agents and front office are having real conversations with each other. But the "sources" say enough in the "rumors" they send, that the terms and negotiations are worked out prior to getting down to it after midnight.

He also threw in there a "take my talents" quote. Reference... One could only hope

Sign him up please Jeffery.

Right, but they weren't talking as much as they were "talking". I think it's the same situation as "sources" sending "rumors" between camps. I don't know for sure that prior to midnight the agents and front office are having real conversations with each other. But the "sources" say enough in the "rumors" they send, that the terms and negotiations are worked out prior to getting down to it after midnight.
I agree. I'm sure conversations are done in general terms but I believe it happens. I just wonder how soon is too soon?

I agree. I'm sure conversations are done in general terms but I believe it happens. I just wonder how soon is too soon?

My guess is once the regular season ends, the general terms conversations start very casually to feel things out. They escalate more and more as the weeks go on. I doubt they start any earlier than that. If they do, it's certainly too soon. You need to focus on the season without any distractions, whether you are in the playoffs or not.

He will be a dolphin if philbin wants him. just like matt flynn last year we will have to wait and see. Something tells me the phins are going to stay away from older players in general.

The reason I go after a guy like Jennings is his understanding of the system we are running. I feel like we could bring him in as teacher and mentor for younger guys which I think we will also pick up two young receivers this year. His ability to teach the young guys has been seen in GB with guys like Nelson and Cobb having very quick success. Driver taught Jennings, and they proceeded to teach the new guys. We have been missing vets here to teach because we haven't been keeping our own guys and have done a crappy job of drafting. Not since JT teaching Wake. Look how that turned out.

The reason I go after a guy like Jennings is his understanding of the system we are running. I feel like we could bring him in as teacher and mentor for younger guys which I think we will also pick up two young receivers this year. His ability to teach the young guys has been seen in GB with guys like Nelson and Cobb having very quick success. Driver taught Jennings, and they proceeded to teach the new guys. We have been missing vets here to teach because we haven't been keeping our own guys and have done a crappy job of drafting. Not since JT teaching Wake. Look how that turned out.

All that teaching is good, but he can also get in the endzone. Something Bess and Hartline have not done a great job of.

Back
Top Bottom