Greg Jennings on ESPN this morning: Talks about impending Free Agency

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TealAttack13, Feb 1, 2013.

1. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Greg Jennings was on ESPN this morning; Here is the gist of what he said (sorry if I forgot anything, I was trying to jot all of this down while listening):

He said that he isn't necessarily done as a Packer (but he sold his house and he isn't going to say right now that he's leaving anyway).

He said that as much as he is a Packer, he is a businessman as well, and he wants to do what is best for himself and his family.

He also said that he is embracing the opportunity to leave because there are a lot of great organizations out there, but also because he "has to" embrace is. He also eluded to the Packers putting him in that position. My guess is that he gave them a number, and they rejected it.

He also talked briefly about how strange it would be going into that locker room next season and not seeing Donald Driver.

All in all, he talked a lot and told us nothing, but until the season is done, he can't talk about it anyway. He spoke a few times about the opportunity to leave, and the "excitement" about determining his future (in quotations because he eluded to it more then said it directly, but you could tell that's what he meant). I think the only thing we can assume for sure is that his time in Green Bay is done, whether he says it or not. All we can hope for is that we bring him a deal that satisfies his needs.

2. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

I think he will end up a Dolphin.

3. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Anyone think he(his agent) has already had conversations with Miami? Many deals are struck before free agency, I'm just wondering if they happen this early.

4. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

I don't know. Goodell is such a disciplinarian, and wouldn't this be considered tampering? I'm not sure that either side is going to run the risk. I could however see "sources" talking amongst each other and "rumors" being traded between the camps.

5. rent this space

It's definitely tampering and completely against the rules. It also happens every year. When someone signs hours after midnight at the opening of free agency, they have to be talking early.

6. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Right, but they weren't talking as much as they were "talking". I think it's the same situation as "sources" sending "rumors" between camps. I don't know for sure that prior to midnight the agents and front office are having real conversations with each other. But the "sources" say enough in the "rumors" they send, that the terms and negotiations are worked out prior to getting down to it after midnight.

7. Bahamafin

Bahamafin Rookie

He also threw in there a "take my talents" quote. Reference... One could only hope

8. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Sign him up please Jeffery.

9. rent this space

I agree. I'm sure conversations are done in general terms but I believe it happens. I just wonder how soon is too soon?

10. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

My guess is once the regular season ends, the general terms conversations start very casually to feel things out. They escalate more and more as the weeks go on. I doubt they start any earlier than that. If they do, it's certainly too soon. You need to focus on the season without any distractions, whether you are in the playoffs or not.

11. cnantista3

cnantista3 Rookie

He will be a dolphin if philbin wants him. just like matt flynn last year we will have to wait and see. Something tells me the phins are going to stay away from older players in general.

12. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

do we even want him??

13. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

I'm thinking all signs indicate yes. And we should want him and we should go after him.

14. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

The reason I go after a guy like Jennings is his understanding of the system we are running. I feel like we could bring him in as teacher and mentor for younger guys which I think we will also pick up two young receivers this year. His ability to teach the young guys has been seen in GB with guys like Nelson and Cobb having very quick success. Driver taught Jennings, and they proceeded to teach the new guys. We have been missing vets here to teach because we haven't been keeping our own guys and have done a crappy job of drafting. Not since JT teaching Wake. Look how that turned out.

15. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

All that teaching is good, but he can also get in the endzone. Something Bess and Hartline have not done a great job of.

16. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Definitely a strong point. The team, as I've said before and as we all know by now, is in need of Vets. It's invaluable to have them mentor the next generation of players. It also is important to develop that sense of comradery in the locker room. You want these guy to play for each other as well as the fans and organization.

17. dolfanerie

dolfanerie Scout Team

I think this is already a done deal seeing the fact that Philbin and Jennings are close. I don't know what way, but I believe both of them already know. I am sure they have already spoken on the entire situation. I also believe Philbin is honest and would like to help Jennings out by letting him know where he stands with him. I am 50/50 on all the big name WR Free Agents. Maybe leaning towards Jennings a bit over Wallace because of his charcter. It is a tough call that I sure hope they get right.

18. uk_dolfan

19. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

:brewskis:

20. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

I can't wait to listen to this! Seems like he's making the rounds at TV/radio row in New Orleans.

21. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Honestly this is what makes some franchises great and others not. Obviously drafting well is key but we see other teams have nobodies turn into stars all the time. we never seem to ahve this happen because with all the changing of regimes we have gotten rid of our vets or real pros and then don't have nayone teaching guys how to really break down game tape. Look at NE, Pitt, GB, Balt just to name a few. They ahve been good for 10 15 years because they continue bring in good young talent but also have guys in place to teach them. This is why Pitt never signs FA LBs, they just keep bringing them in and teaching them the Steeler way.

22. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Absolutely, the only constant on the team in the last decade was JT, with the exception of 1 year. Too much instability, but I'm hoping this is the regime that really changes that trend. I do have a good feeling about this one. Thats why this FA and draft is so very important for our turnaround.

23. Phins117

Phins117 A True Fan

I can't wait

24. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

Guaranteed it's already happening. Tampering is one of those things that happens rampantly, it's just only punished when it's blatant...

25. jason37

jason37 Drivin' the Yeremiah Bell Bandwagon

I take it more as he was not offered an extension prior to him playing out his last year of his contract. Either way I'm sure he knows that Green Bay is comfortable with the other receivers on their roster and he is well aware of the fact that he can get more money elsewhere.

26. uk_dolfan

27. Noodleman

Noodleman Starter

Would rather have Bowe.

28. Phinadict

Phinadict And away he goes...

why not shoot for both? You think Bowe is going to warrant a similar contract?

29. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

The Packers have way too many guys who need extensions that they're going to splurge on Jennings. Ted Thompson is just too good at drafting receivers. They already have his replacement on the roster.

30. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

I'd like to get this guy and then use my No.1 for a stud DE or OL.