Grushcow's in depth Cap Conscious Offseason strategy - Give it a read! (Long).... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grushcow's in depth Cap Conscious Offseason strategy - Give it a read! (Long)....

FearTheBeard

FearTheBurke
Reaction score
MOCK MIAMI DOLPHINS OFFSEASON

OFFSEASON PREVIEW
This is an exciting offseason for all Dolphins fans, with excess cap space paired with a bevy of draft picks in the top 100 the Phins appear to be poised to position themselves in the thick of the AFC playoff race. The Dolphins find themselves faced with many questions regarding their upcoming free agent class and without many home discounts forthcoming it's becoming increasingly likely that the 2013 Dolphins will have many new faces. When looking at this football team that continued their trend of mediocrity with another sub-.500 finish this past season, it's important to look at where the league is trending. I found when watching the team this past season most of our games were lost because of our poor protection of our rookie quarterback, a lack of talent on the outside and a pair of cornerbacks that cover. Entering free agency these are our biggest needs and I find that the out of house options are superior to what we have in house, and may come at a better price. Through free agency I want to plug as many holes as possible, not necessarily with a few high priced guys but several solid guys at a more affordable rate with room to grow. This will set us up for the draft where we can take the BPA from round to round. I want good pass protection, corners that can stick with receivers and receivers that can be relied on to help our franchise signal caller grow. Everything else comes secondary after that. With a few cuts we're positioned to have the most cap space in the NFL and with the right strategy can plug most if all our holes. As you will see the first moves I'd make would be to slash the contracts of Dan Carpenter, Dmitri Patterson and Richard Marshall to give us as much flexibility as possible. Looking at this free agency class I see a lot of depth at corner and tackle, which suits us nicely. Let me preface this by saying this is not a prediction of what Ireland is going to do come March 12th, this is what I would do with all our assets at our disposal. Let me also add I don't have a ton of experience with the salary cap, but have been slowly learning about it and if there's any issues with my calculations to bring it to my attention. Finally, I haven't watched nearly as much college football as I have in the past so most of my selections are based on scouting reports so feel free to give me some added insight. Hopefully enjoy my effort, took a fair amount of time, cheers.

Also one question for everyone, how does the salary cap rollover work?

For everyone who doesn't wanna read this whole thing, just take a look at our projected 2013 line up and free agency to see their terms. It's a bit daunting cause of the 51 player breakdown to show cap hits.

NEEDS ENTERING OFFSEASON
1. WRLast year it became painfully clear that the Dolphins wide receiving core lacked any game breaking ability. Outside of Hartline and Bess there was no consistency and there was an overall lack of speed on the field. Hartline is scheduled for free agency and should be a priority at a reasonable price. Mathews showed flashes once he got a chance to see the field. This unit needs a total face lift this offseason, it starts with a top FA and a high draft pick, along with the return of Hartline into the fold.
2. CBThis has got to be the most frustrating position on the field for me. For what feels like as long as I've watched Dolphins football no matter how solid a defense we field we always fail on passing downs. I get nostalgic think about the days of Madison and Surtain and with the evolution of the NFL our glaring weaknesses are that much more apparent. This is the offseason to get some pieces at the corner position to get our play on the boundary in line with our safeties. This is a spot we must invest money in wisely and provide lots of quality depth. Clean house.
3. TEAnother emerging trend in the NFL has been the seam threat tight end. The Dolphins have also been lagging behind the rest of the NFL in this regard. Fasano is a nice guy to have but we need more playmaking at the position. The Dolphins probably need to add 2 guys that compliment each other well, a solid blocking red zone target and another H-back type who can line up all over the field and create mismatches.
4. RTAs the days pass it becomes more and more clear that Jake Long's days as a Dolphin are over. With Martin likely shifting over to the left side this creates a considerable hole on the right side. The offensive line has to be solidified for Tannehill to reach his high ceiling and his protection is a key to our success.
5. LDEA complement for Cam Wake is needed on the opposite side. Vernon is a nice developmental guy but still needs a little more seasoning, so a quality stop gap that can push the pocket and help push Odrick inside is a necessary step.

CUTS/TRADES
TRADE
Daniel Thomas to the Titans for a 2013 5th round pick
Daniel Thomas has been a disappointment throughout his tenure with the Phins. For a big back he leaves a lot to be desired in short yardage situations and offers little to nothing in the passing game. If I couldn't get any picks back for him I'd simply cut him and give the guys behind him a better shot at playing time. In this deal I would send Thomas to the Titans to complement Chris Johnson.
Saves 455K towards the Cap for 2013.
CUT Dan CarpenterAfter Carp's sparking start to his career he has fallen off sharply. His contract hurts our cap situation and his recent play makes this decision a no brainer for me. I'd have him back at a slashed salary to compete with a rookie kicker but only under that circumstance.
Saves 2.7 million towards the Cap for 2013.
CUT Dmitri PattersonI liked what I saw from Patterson in his brief stint with the Phins. Unfortunately with a contract that pays him 4.6 million for the upcoming season there is no way to keep him at that price, especially when an outright cut has no negative consequences on our Cap situation. He's a quality fallback option on a cheap 2-year deal if we can't reach terms with his replacement.
Saves 4.6 million towards the Cap for 2013.
CUT Richard MarshallRichard Marshall was one of our bigger moves in free agency this past offseason, which I supported at the time, but Marshall, was hampered by a back injury which ended his season prematurely. I like this upcoming crop of corners in both the draft and free agency and clearing Marshall off the books would give us more flexibility. With him and Patterson out of the equation, along with Smith big changes must come to our secondary.
Saves 3.4 million towards the Cap for 2013
OVERALL SAVINGS = $11,155,000

RESIGN
WR Brian HartlineHartline has proved to be a capable #2 and has built a quality rapport with Tannehill over their first full season together. His inability to get in the endzone has been the main gripe among Dolphin fans but as far as I'm concerned he's a solid part of our offense and willl help Tannehill and the rest of the offense grow. I value him between 4.5 and 5 million but would go as far as 5.5 a year, we can't afford to create more holes on an already thin offensive core. Hartline may want to test the market to get Laurent Robinson money, but it's unlikely he's going to find many suitors at that price.
Re-sign Brian Hartline for 3 years @ $15 million.
S Tyron CulverCulver is a nice depth guy, but doesn't offer that much outside of being a serviceable backup. His depth and flexibility in our secondary is nice to have.
Re-sign Tyron Culver for 1 year @ 700K
CB/S Jonathon Amaya (RFA)Amaya came back in the Bush trade and will provide depth in the secondary.
Tender Jonathon Amaya for 1 year @ 630K.
QB Pat Devlin (RFA)Devlin lacks the skillset of a future starter but knows the offense and has continued to grow behind Tannehill. I would keep him around in hopes he can continue to develop into a solid #2 behind Tannehill.
Tender Pat Devlin for 1 year @ 555K
CB Bryan McCann (RFA)McCann will supply depth in a backfield short on personnel and talent.
Tender Bryan McCann for 1 year @ 555K
MLB Austin Spitler (RFA)Spitler is a quality special teams guy and provides a little extra depth at a cheap price.
Tender Austin Spitler for 1 year @ 555K
TOTAL COSTS= $7,955,000

LET THEM WALK/NON-TENDER
OT Jake LongInjuries have sapped Longs dominance after emerging as one of the premier tackles in football over his first few seasons. With wildcard Jonathan Martin in house it will be his spot to sink or swim in. The cost of acquiring a right tackle is much smaller than that of a right tackle and without a hometown discount forthcoming it appears to be the end of the line for the former first overall pick.
Jake Long to the Bears for 5 years @ 45 million (25 guaranteed)
CB Sean SmithSmith's a maddeningly inconsistent performer and is seeking a contract likely 3 million greater than his actual worth. I would let him walk, as there's a handful of more consistent options on the market that will be worth the same or likely less. Look for him to get a contract in the ballpark of the one Eric Wright signed with the Bucs this past offseason.
Sean Smith to the Jaguars for 5 years @ 40 million (22 guaranteed).
DT Randy StarksI love Randy Starks, and although the franchise tag is an option in the salary cap era it's important for a team with as many needs as us to fill them effectively. The cost to retain Starks is too prohibitory when considering the fact that we have a competent enough player in Jared Odrick to fill his role. I also don't like Odrick on the outside and think it is necessary for him to move inside to maximize his value.
Randy Starks to the Broncos for 4 years @ 26 million (10 guaranteed)
RB Reggie BushThere seems to be a huge divide between fans relating to what we should do with Bush. The fact of the matter is we have a high upside back and we're ready to turn him loose. I like Thigpen as a guy who could develop as well, add another powerful back into the mix and we have a competent backfield. Bush did too much dancing last year and for a change of pace back his contract will be too prohibitory.

Reggie Bush to the Chargers for 4 years @ 16 million (6 million guaranteed)
TE Anthony FasanoFasano has been a very underrated member of our franchise over the last few years and offers very solid blocking skills to go with a great pair of hands. Unfortunately he must be upgraded on because he offers too little between the 20s. Having Fasano as a compliment to a more athletic #1 is another good option depending on who we pursue.
Anthony Fasano to the Bucs for 2 years @ 5.5 million
QB Matt MooreMatt Moore would be a welcomed returnee to hold the clipboard behind Tanny and provide quality insurance in the event of an injury. This appears unlikely with so many teams in flux at the quarterback position and a potentially steep price tag for a back up. It's clear we want him back, but with chances to start he will price himself out of our range.
Matt Moore to the Browns for 2 years @ 10 million
FS Chris ClemonsChris Clemons emerged this past season as a solid complement to Reshad Jones. He isn't a game changer, but is a consistent option in the defensive backfield who seldom is caught out of position. I'd let him test the market because there's a lot of solid safety options this year that offer more game changing ability. If we strike out on some safeties, Clemons is a very solid candidate to return.
G/T Tony McDanielA potential fallback option with Starks being jettisoned out of town, but overall graded poorly across the board. An interior rotational lineman with better pass rushing ability will be a better avenue to take.
K Nate KaedingBrought in late season and one of many legs who could get an invite to push our drafted kicker.
WR Marlon Moore (RFA)Has had 3 years to set himself apart in a poor receiving core and failed to do so. Mathews looks to have some upside and although Moore's skills on special teams will be missed they can be replaced.
TE Jeron Mastrud (RFA)Tight end is a position that must be upgraded and Mastrud has proven to be no more than a marginal backup.

FREE AGENTS SIGNED
OT Sebastian Vollmer
(NE)
This is where the offseason gets fun. My biggest financial move is to solidify Tanny's offensive line. With Jake Long gone Martin will have his opportunity to run with the left tackle job, he's the biggest wild card on the offensive line. With Vollmer not only do we get a solid all around blocker, we steal him from a division rival. He excels as both a pass blocker and run blocker and is still young. Gosder Cherilus was also considered as his price tag will likely be less, but inconsistency and mediocrity in the run game gives the edge to Vollmer.
Sign Sebastian Vollmer for 5 years @ 37.5 million
CB Chris Houston
(DET)
As I've mentioned our corners have been woeful for a long time. With many solid options on the market I decided to go with Houston. Although a little undersized he has been a solid corner in a bad secondary for the last few years and I liked him coming out of Arkansas as a prospect. He gets the edge over a handful of decent guys but to me he is only reaching his prime and can be a solid #1 in our secondary.
Sign Chris Houston for 5 years @ 30 million
WR Greg Jennings
(GB)
When it comes down to wide receiver, it's not a question of "if" but "who"? Jennings is expecting a big pay day, unfortunately for him I don't see him reaching his lofty contract expectations. For 8.5 million a year he is a much better option than Wallace in my opinion. Wallace lacks the route running ability necessary in our WCO and Jennings is a proven option with experience in our system and a rock solid attitude. Although a potential injury risk Jennings still possesses the speed and quickness that has made him one of the most productive wide receivers in football. He will be a solid and reliable #1 for Tannehill and won't cripple our cap.
Sign Greg Jennings for 3 years @ 25.5 million
FS Glover Quin (HOU)Here's a guy I did everything in my power to work into our offseason blueprint. The Dolphins have struggled mightily covering tight end and slot receivers and Quin is the perfect remedy to that ailment. A converted corner, Quin lined up in the slot or over the tight end more than any other safety in football last year and his experience there is huge for a defense that is only a few pieces away.
Sign Glover Quin for 4 years @ 22.5 million
TE Martellus Bennett
(DAL)
Bennett is a perfect replacement for Fasano. He replaces what Fasano could do as a blocker and offers a level of athleticism that Fasano simply could not provide. As one of the best blocking tight ends in football he is also a big body who can help make plays in the redzone. Bennett is a freak athlete and in his first year out of Witten's shadow he finally seemed to emerge into the player many talent evaluators had envisioned.
Sign Martellus Bennett for 3 years @ 15 million
OG Brandon Moore
(NYJ)
Moore has graded out as one of the best guards over the last couple seasons. Another lineman snatched away from a divisional rival. Although getting into his mid thirties, Moore is solid in both run and pass blocking, while also forcing Mark Sanchez fumbles, a win win. Bringing Moore in will solidify the right side of our line and gives us 2 years to find his heir apparent.
Sign Brandon Moore for 2 years @ 10 million
CB Greg Toler
(ARI)
The most underrated guy on my FA list, Toler has filled in as a capable #1 in Arizona, and is skilled enough to at least be a solid #2 in our secondary. Toler does come with some injury risks, but his price tag shouldn't be too steep and could be a bargain.
Sign Greg Toler for 2 years @ 7.5 million
DT Sen'Derrick Marks
(TEN)
With the departure of Starks, investing in a young depth guy with room to grow would be a wise move. Marks was a second rounder a couple years ago in Tennessee and if we're lucky maybe another Titan tackle will flourish the way Starks did. Marks is not particularly exceptional in any aspect of his game, but provides solid depth behind Odrick and Soliai, who is also only under contract for 1 more year.
Sign Sen'Derrick Marks for 2 years @ 3.75 million
DE Israel Idonije
(CHI)
Idonije had a solid year in Chicago and his veteran presence can help the likes of Vernon and a draft pick develop at their own pace. Idonije is solid against both the run and pass and would be a solid stopgap across from Wake and help our secondary.
Sign Israel Idonije for 1 year @ 3.5 million
TE James Casey
(HOU)
Another tight end who has developing in the shadow of an established NFL starter, Casey had a mini breakout this past season. Coming out of Rice he was one of those guys who lined up anywhere from H-back to quarterback, and little has changed in the NFL. Still young, Casey could develop into the perfect compliment to Bennett and offer another seam threat who can create mismatches all over the field.
Sign James Casey for 2 years @ 3 million
QB Seneca Wallace
(CLE)
Although out of football last year, I've always been a fan of Seneca's and his ability to keep plays alive. He has experience in the WCO, comes cheap and is similar athletically to Tannehill.
Sign Seneca Wallace for 1 year @ 720K
TOTAL COSTS= $48,845,000

NEEDS ENTERING DRAFT
DE
DT
WR
CB
RB
TE
K

2013 NFL DRAFT
ROUND 1
12) Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
ROUND 2
42) Jonathon Banks, CB, Mississippi State
ROUND 2
54) Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
ROUND 3
79) Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
ROUND 3
84) Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern
ROUND 4
113) Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
ROUND 4 (Supplemental)
138) Brandon Washington, OG, Miami
ROUND 5
146) Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State (via Thomas trade)
ROUND 5
150) Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson
ROUND 7
219) Omar Hunter, DT, Florida
ROUND 7
226) Michael Clay, OLB, Oregon

POSStarterBackup3rd String4th String
QBRyan TannehillSeneca Wallace*Pat Devlin
RBLamar MillerStepfan Taylor**Marcus ThigpenJonas Gray
FBJorvorskie Lane
WR1Greg Jennings*Davone BessRishard Mathews
WR2Brian Hartline*Justin Hunter**Armon Binns
TEMartellus Bennett*James Casey*Charles ClayMichael Egnew
Kyle Miller
LTJonathon MartinWill Yeatman
LGRichie IncognitoBrandon Washington**
CMike PounceyJosh Samuda
RGBrandon Moore*
RTSebastian Vollmer*John Jerry
DECameron WakeOlivier VernonMalliciah Goodman**
DTJared OdrickSen'Derrick Marks*Brandon Williams**
DTPaul SoliaiKheeston RandallOmar Hunter**
DEIsrael Idonije*Barkevious Mingo**Derrick Shelby
WLBKevin BurnettJosh KadduMichael Clay**
MLBKarlos DansbyJason TrusnikAustin Spitler
SLBKoa MisiJonathon Freeny
CB1Chris Houston*Greg Toler*Nolan Carroll*Julian Posey
CB2Jonathon Banks**Tyrann Mathieu**Jimmy Wilson
FSGlover Quin*Tyron CulverKelcie McCray
SSReshad JonesJonathon Amaya*
KDustin Hopkins**
PBrandon Fields
LSJohn Denney

Top 512013 Cap Hit2014 Cap HitDead Money
1LB Karlos Dansby$8,575,000$11,575,000$4,650,000
2WR Greg Jennings $8,000,000$8,500,000
3OT Sebastian Vollmer$7,500,000$7,500,000
4DT Paul Soliai$7,375,000UFA$1,575,000
5CB Chris Houston $6,000,000$6,000,000
6LB Kevin Burnett$5,700,000$7,000,000$2,500,000
7OL Richie Incognito$5,383,334UFA$1,083,334
8DE Cameron Wake$5,015,000$7,285,000$14,985,000
9TE Martellus Bennett $5,000,000$5,000,000
10WR Brian Hartline$5,000,000$5,000,000
11OG Brandon Moore$4,500,000$5,500,000
12CB Greg Toler$3,500,000$4,000,000
13DE Israel Idonije $3,500,000UFA
14WR Davone Bess$3,433,334UFA$750,000
15QB Ryan Tannehill$2,879,205$3,455,046$10,365,138
16C Mike Pouncey$2,525,371$2,946,267$5,471,638
17FS Glover Quin $5,000,000$5,500,000
18DT Sen'Derrick Marks $1,500,000$2,000,000
19DE Jared Odrick$1,939,868$2,004,873$2,599,271
20DE Barkevious Mingo** (12)$1,877,306$2,346,295
21P Brandon Fields$1,645,000$3,661,116$2,080,000
22TE James Casey$1,500,000UFA
23LB Koa Misi$1,131,905UFA$467,500
24OT Jonathan Martin$1,087,333$1,304,800$2,047,067
25LS John Denney$1,013,750UFA$143,750
26LB Jason Trusnik$931,666$1,055,000$400,000
27CB Jonathon Banks (43)$871,791$1,089,739
28OL John Jerry$789,625UFA$214,625
29QB Seneca Wallace$720,000UFA
30S Tyron Culver$700,000UFA
31DE Olivier Vernon$669,520$759,520$478,560
32WR Justin Hunter** (56)$659,300$824,125
33TE Michael Egnew$652,239$742,239$441,717
34CB/S Jonathon Amaya$630,000UFA
35CB Nolan Carroll$622,939UFA$47,939
36S Reshad Jones$615,075RFA$40,075
37RB Lamar Miller$601,500$691,500$364,500
38TE Charles Clay$583,000$673,000$56,000
39CB Jimmy Wilson$566,475$656,475$22,950
40RB Stepfan Taylor** (79)$556,594$671,594
41OT Will Yeatman$555,000RFA$0
42QB Pat Devlin$555,000RFA
43Bryan McCann$555,000RFA
44LB Austin Spitler$555,000RFA
45DT Brandon Williams (84)$546,890$656,890
46CB Tyrann Mathieu (113)$515,845$605,845
47OG Brandon Washington (138)$454,500$544,500
48DT Kheeston Randall$495,612$585,612$46,836
49WR Rishard Matthews$493,403$583,403$38,544
50DE Derrick Shelby$483,333$573,334$1,667
51RB Marcus Thigpen$482,500$572,500$5,000
TOP 51 Salaries$116,443,213
+ Dead Money$4,663,572
Final Offseason
Team Salary 2013
$121,106,785
Salary Cap Space$2,793,215
RB Jonas Gray$480,000$570,000$0
G/C Josh Samuda$480,000$570,000$0
FB Jorvorskie Lane$480,000$570,000$0
LB Josh Kaddu$480,000ERFA$0
WR Armon Binns$480,000ERFA$0
LB Jonathan Freeny$480,000ERFA$0
TE Kyle Miller$480,000$480,000$0
CB Julian Posey$480,000$480,000$0
DT DeAndre Presley$480,000
LB Lee Robinson$480,000
K Dustin Hopkins (146)$452,220$542,220
DE Malliciah Goodman (150)$451,048$541,048
DT Omar Hunter (219)$417,150$507,150
Michael Clay (226)$416,850$506,074
S Kelcie McCray$408,333$405,000$3,333
OT Andrew McDonald$405,000
Chandler Burden$405,000
Brian Tyms$405,000
Jeff Adams$405,000
Jeff Fuller$405,000
Projected Cap Space
Resigning Costs
Free Agency Costs
Total Signing Costs
Leftover for Draft Picks
Draft Cost$6,688,612
Total Cap Space Remaining
CUTS
K Dan Carpenter- $3,012,500- $2,700,000$312,500
CB Dimitri Patterson- $4,600,000- $4,600,000$0
CB Richard Marshall- $5,766,666- $4,600,000$2,333,334
RB Daniel Thomas$882,652$669,217$426,870
Dead Money
CB RIchard Marshall$2,333,334
CB Vontae Davis$1,111,250
RB Daniel Thomas$426,870
K Dan Carpenter312,500
WR Clyde Gates$226,576
LB Josh Kaddu$140,055
WR B.J. Cunningham$79,650
CB Kevyn Scott$6,000
DT Chas Alecxih$5,000
WR Jeff Fuller$5,000
WR Derek Moye$3,334
DE Jarrell Root$3,334
DE Jacquies Smith$3,334
OL Dustin Waldron$3,334
LB Shelly Lyons$2,000
TE Les Brown$1,667
OL Andrew McDonald$334
Total Dead Money$4,663,572
Salary Cap$123,900,000
Total 2013 Salary Cap
After Cuts
Projected Cap Space
Post Cuts
Cost for Draft Picks
Projected Cap Space
Considering Draft Picks

OFFSEASON REVIEW
So some final thoughts with this offseason. You can see with all these moves that we're still under the salary cap with a bit of a buffer. We've got solid starters across the board with no glaring holes. There are rumors that Quin will be tagged and if that's the case we have even more room and we can bring back Clemons (probably 3 a year).

Looking forward you can see our 2014 situation. I include the guys under contract, and would cut Dansby, while restructuring Burnett. When it's all said and done we're in decent cap space for the upcoming seasons only needing to replace starters at guard, defensive tackle, middle linebacker and long snapper.

Let me know what Dolphins nation thinks!

Top 512014 Cap HitDead Money
1WR Greg Jennings $8,500,000
2OT Sebastian Vollmer$7,500,000
3DE Cameron Wake$7,285,000$14,985,000
4CB Chris Houston $6,000,000
5OG Brandon Moore$5,500,000
6FS Glover Quin $5,500,000
7LB Kevin Burnett$5,000,000RESTRUCTURE
8TE Martellus Bennett $5,000,000
9WR Brian Hartline$5,000,000
10CB Greg Toler$4,000,000
11P Brandon Fields$3,661,116$2,080,000
12QB Ryan Tannehill$3,455,046$10,365,138
13C Mike Pouncey$2,946,267$5,471,638
14Round 1$2,500,000*
15DE Barkevious Mingo** (12)$2,346,295
16DE Jared Odrick$2,004,873$2,599,271
17DT Sen'Derrick Marks $2,000,000
18TE James Casey$1,500,000
19Round 2$1,150,000*
20OT Jonathan Martin$1,304,800$2,047,067
21LB Jason Trusnik$1,055,000$400,000
22CB Jonathon Banks (43)$1,089,739
23Round 3$900,000*
24WR Justin Hunter** (56)$824,125
25DE Olivier Vernon$759,520$478,560
26TE Michael Egnew$742,239$441,717
27Round 4$700,000*
28RB Lamar Miller$691,500$364,500
29TE Charles Clay$673,000$56,000
30RB Stepfan Taylor** (79)$671,594
31DT Brandon Williams (84)$656,890
32CB Jimmy Wilson$656,475$22,950
33CB Tyrann Mathieu (110)$605,845
34DT Kheeston Randall$585,612$46,836
35WR Rishard Matthews$583,403$38,544
36DE Derrick Shelby$573,334$1,667
37RB Marcus Thigpen$572,500$5,000
38RB Jonas Gray$570,000$0
39G/C Josh Samuda$570,000$0
40FB Jorvorskie Lane$570,000$0
41OG Brandon Washington (134)$544,500
42K Justin Hopkins (137)$544,625
43DE Malliciah Goodman (141)$543,000
44Brandon Williams (203)$510,150
45Round 5$500,000*
46TE Kyle Miller$480,000
47CB Julian Posey$480,000
S Reshad JonesRFA$40,075
OT Will YeatmanRFA$0
QB Pat DevlinRFA
Bryan McCannRFA
TOP 51 Salaries$94,056,448
+ Dead Money$4,650,000
Final Offseason
Team Salary 2013
$98,706,448
Salary Cap Space
Estimated Cap$125,000,000*
Cuts
LB Karlos Dansby$11,575,000$4,650,000
Restructure
LB Kevin Burnett-$2,000,000
2014 UFA's
DT Paul SoliaiUFA
OL Richie IncognitoUFA
DE Israel IdonijeUFA
WR Davone BessUFA
QB Seneca WallaceUFA
LB Koa MisiUFA
LS John DenneyUFA
CB/S Jonathon AmayaUFA
OL John JerryUFA
CB Nolan CarrollUFA

2014 Projected Roster and Holes
QBRyan TannehillPat Devlin
RBLamar MillerStepfan Taylor**Marcus ThigpenJonas Gray
FBJorvorskie Lane
WR1Greg Jennings*Rishard Mathews
WR2Brian Hartline*Justin Hunter**Armon Binns
TEMartellus Bennett*James Casey*Charles ClayMichael Egnew
Kyle Miller
LTJonathon MartinWill Yeatman
LGBrandon Washington**
CMike PounceyJosh Samuda
RGBrandon Moore*
RTSebastian Vollmer*
DECameron WakeOlivier VernonMalliciah Goodman**
DTJared OdrickSen'Derrick Marks*
DTKheeston Randall
DEBarkevious Mingo**Derrick Shelby
WLBKevin BurnettJosh Kaddu​Michael Clay**
MLBJason Trusnik
SLBJonathon Freeny
CB1Chris Houston*Greg Toler*Julian Posey
CB2Jonathon Banks**Tyrann Mathieu**Jimmy Wilson
FSChris ClemonsKelcie McCray
SSReshad Jones (RFA)
KDustin Hopkins**
PBrandon Fields
LS

Last edited by a moderator:
Long, but nice presentation . . . I have to give you that (whether I agree or not).

wow.... we disagree on quite a few things but well done! You put a lot of effort into that!

Nice job with the post. What jumps out to me...that's alot of free agents; you're adding 10 new starters, which you rarely see in the NFL.

Yup, can't say I agree 100%. Would be interesting to check this post after the off-season and see how you compared to Ireland lol

I wish I was Pat Devlin. Half a million dollars a year, little responsibility.. If he gets married hes insane

Lots of good work there

Love the effort and love the free agent signings. Only one huge problem. Team chemistry would be a disaster. Adding so many new starters we'd probably have a worse record due to chemistry issues despite having more talent.

I appreciate the depth of your analysis and respect your passion for our team. You are approaching this as a radical change by basically getting rid of all the more expensive free agents. While I'm expecting a number to go, I'd be shocked if Ireland discarded the lot. I would not let Starks, Fasano and Clemmons walk.
I do not like your draft much. Everything I hear is that Mingo is too light to play DE in a 4:3 and he is best suited as an OLB in a 3:4 defense. Banks is too slow. Hunter is about choice 8 of the WRs

Great Post. I would like to see A top end DE or LB in Free Agency. And a CB and WR in the first 2 picks.

Awesome. Thanks for a great read. If your scenerio took place this would have to be one of the busiest off-seasons ever. I do disagree with a few things. First, I won't really challenge your draft picks as long as we cover most of our holes with good draft value. I can't ever imagine that our front office will sign that many FAs. I do expect 2 maybe 3 FA's before the draft. I then expect Ireland to pick a large number of free agents during training camp and preseason as the roster churning process is in full swing.

I hope Hartline does return to give our team some stability. I agree with Daniel Thomas, he has never really impressed. Perhaps the coaches see something we aren't seeing during the games. I would love to see Stehphen Jackson come in for 2 years and split carries with Miller. We still develop Thigpen & Jonas Gray. I say keep Devlin, bring in another veteran for training camp and preseason, but go with Devlin as long as he keeps developing. I think we have to keep Fasano. We have too many other holes to fill and I don't want to weaken our protection any further. With that said, we need another TE. Will Clay or Egnew ever develop? I am on the fence with Randy Starks. I would hate to lose Sean Smith, not because I think he is great, but we have so many needs. At least Smith can hold his own against larger recievers and has shown some glimses of greatness. I thinks Long has played his last game as a Fin. There are too many other teams that are 1-2 players away and will throw a huge contract at him.

Thanks for the great write up.

Love the effort and love the free agent signings. Only one huge problem. Team chemistry would be a disaster. Adding so many new starters we'd probably have a worse record due to chemistry issues despite having more talent.

I agree that this is a pretty radical approach, but when it comes down to it our only pending free agents that are significant members of our team are Clemons, Starks, Hartline, Clemons and Long (I wouldn't include Smith honestly....). Long will price himself out of Miami and there's more reliable options out there. Clemons is a guy that likely comes back, but I really like what Quin brings to the table. I bring Hartline back and Starks is just too much additional money for a position that we have a couple solid enough options.

So to your point of chemistry. No matter what way you shake this offseason, you're going to need 2 new faces on the right side of the line, Long is just too pricey. Hartline comes back and you have to bring another receiver in no matter what, so Jennings transitioning to the same offense shouldn't hurt chemistry too bad.

As far as chemistry along the defensive line it's pretty much a non issue, so whether Starks is in there or not won't hurt one way or another.

Secondary would definitely be the biggest adjustment, and may be a bit too extreme. But I see Quin getting tag so with Clemons back we have the same pairing. When it comes to the other two corner spots only one guy has been a main stay and that's Smith. Patterson and Marshall have played 2 and 6 or so games respectively. So you're going to need to replace one starter at corner minimum anyway, neither of which will have chemistry going in anyway.

Entering this offseason, you're gonna have to replace 1 starter at WR, with Long gone a RT, with Smith gone a corner. That's the minimum. With our cap space I'd want an upgrade at RG, #2 corner and LDE minimum.

Thanks for reading!

that would be a very good offseason.however 10 FA i dont think so.

Great post and this would be a very impressive offseason that would fill a lot of holes, however as others have mentioned the team chemistry would be an issue. Also the likelihood of being able to sign all those free agents in one offseason seems pretty low. I appreciate the incredible amount of effort put into the post and on paper think this would be a great improvement, however I just don't think it would work out.

Great post and this would be a very impressive offseason that would fill a lot of holes, however as others have mentioned the team chemistry would be an issue. Also the likelihood of being able to sign all those free agents in one offseason seems pretty low. I appreciate the incredible amount of effort put into the post and on paper think this would be a great improvement, however I just don't think it would work out.

See my response to the chemistry. And I agree this is unrealistic, but financially it makes sense and upgrades our team across the board, well also making our offensive and defensive commitments nearly even, unlike the massive divide we have now. But this is very hypothetical, but for every FA I have another FA that would be an adequate upgrade for a good price. I could bring Hartline, Starks and Clemons back and adjust it to air on the side of realism but for this I really just wanted to play GM.

Back
Top Bottom