Guru Question on Jon Martin? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guru Question on Jon Martin?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I have some pretty fair knowledge on the top two rounds of talent but, am far from a guru. IF you graded and ranked Jon Martin based on what you have seen of him in Miami, and DO NOT include Bully Gate, how you rank and compare him to this year's OT's available in the draft?

I believe he would come out pretty high but again, am not overly familiar with the other OT's.

In a lot of ways he was a steal at the time, but there were a lot of questions about whether or not he'd be a LT.

I thought it was good value, but after all the bully issues I went back and watched some Stanford stuff of him. He for sure needed to get stronger, but he was also heavily protected by an offense loaded with NFL players in a scheme that gave him a lot help in the blocking scheme

i wasn't much of a fan of his coming out cause i thought he was too soft and didnt have high end feet...upper body strength problems showed ugly...3rd round at least in any class is how i would grade him...definitely not in the first 2 days of the draft would i have pulled the trigger though...

probably would have steered away...

Honestly, I'd put a late round grade on him as an OT but might like him better at guard.

In the run up to the draft, I had heard that Martin needed to get stronger but that he was a finesse guy with good feet. That was a bad read.

This is a kid with bad feet and who is also weak. He obviously got way over-drafted and he was a bad pick, or do I mean prick. His physical skills scream day 3 pick somewhere, and that's not even taking into account his poor mental makeup. Ireland got a couple of 5th round talents on DAY 2 that year when you are talking about Martin and Egnew who were each drafted 2-3 rounds early.

I'm still studying this year's draftees, but Martin has to be behind at least a dozen guys. It's a pretty deep tackle draft.

i wasn't much of a fan of his coming out cause i thought he was too soft and didnt have high end feet...upper body strength problems showed ugly...3rd round at least in any class is how i would grade him...definitely not in the first 2 days of the draft would i have pulled the trigger though...

probably would have steered away...

Couldn't agree more with this assessment - I hated the pick, just like with Dallas Thomas this year. I thought Jon Martin was a soft football player and I just hate soft football players no matter the position.

Couldn't agree more with this assessment - I hated the pick, just like with Dallas Thomas this year. I thought Jon Martin was a soft football player and I just hate soft football players no matter the position.

you and me both...

Absolutely. Martin isn't just physically soft, he's psychologically soft too. I don't know if Dallas Thomas is psychologically soft, but let's just say those grinning Finsiders interviews didn't fill me with confidence.

I may have not been very clear here. I'm talking of Martin now vs the draft options, and not when he was drafted. He is now stronger with NFL experience, as opposed to the others.

I pose this question to evaluate his trade value based on the field only. The rest is up to teams.

I would say his value has dropped, even ignoring the mental side of things.

I would say his value has dropped, even ignoring the mental side of things.

I still believe that, talent wise, he is better than what any team can find in the 3rd round, and possibly the 2nd.

I still believe that, talent wise, he is better than what any team can find in the 3rd round, and possibly the 2nd.

Martin? After a bad season at rt and benched after a half season at lt? How is that preferable to a second round pick this year?

Even if the bullying story had never happened you wouldnt get a third round pick for Martin imo

Absolutely. Martin isn't just physically soft, he's psychologically soft too. I don't know if Dallas Thomas is psychologically soft, but let's just say those grinning Finsiders interviews didn't fill me with confidence.

The issue that set Thomas back (among other things) is for whatever reason our coaching staff spent all offseason trying to make him into the swing OT and Martin's main backup at LT. Then George Selvie destroyed him in the HoF game and Thomas was moved over to RT and didn't fair much better. Sure he played OT before for the Vols (not as a senior though) but anybody who watched him play knew he was a guard at the next level.

And while some can do it, being a young player and being asked to prepare as if you are an OT and then being moved strictly to guard isn't easy... especially when you are fundamentally flawed like Thomas was (see difference in Jimmy Wilson when the staff told him to bulk up to play safety but due to injuries was the nickle CB last year compared to this year when he got back to CB weight)

Back
Top Bottom