Gus Frerotte | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Gus Frerotte

Philter25

MORE COWBELL!!!
Reaction score
I was talking with Merman about this somewhere else and neither of us were 100% sure.

Does anyone know the situation with Gus's reported 6 million in "guaranteed" money next year? I have read that if Gus plays X number of games, then there is a stipulation in his contract that does something next year in the form of 6 million bucks.

Is this 6 million a bonus? Does his base salary increase to 6 million? Or is it really 6 million in GUARANTEED money?

I do not remember reading anything about that. I'm sure Merman's looking into it, but maybe I will as well.

:foundout:

All you need to know about Week 3
John Czarnecki / FOX Sports
Posted: 18 hours ago. September 26, 2005

CZAR'S SCOOP: It will be a hot, muggy day so look for players wilting in the second half. New coach Nick Saban has taken a lot of heat for choosing RB Ronnie Brown over Cadillac Williams. There is no doubt that when Ricky Williams returns (he must sit one more week) that he will play and possibly a lot. If Miami QB Gus Frerotte starts 11 more games, he will guarantee a $6 million contract for next season. Carolina rookie Adam Seward will start for LB Will Witherspoon (left knee). Ken Lucas and Mike Minter will both start in the Carolina secondary despite missing practice time this week.
the wording is kinda shady. Is it GUARANTEED money or a 6 million base salary or else a 6 million bonus?

I just cant believe it can be guaranteed money. More importantly, I cant fathom to think of a reason on why we would sign a guy and have that stipulation in his contract.

Philter25 said:
the wording is kinda shady. Is it GUARANTEED money or a 6 million base salary or else a 6 million bonus?

I just cant believe it can be guaranteed money. More importantly, I cant fathom to think of a reason on why we would sign a guy and have that stipulation in his contract.

also that was after week3 so is it 11more games after week3 so 14starts in total or just 11starts?....i really hope there would be some way around it hes not woth 1mill a year so 6mill would be crazy.

As I said on Phinzmania, where it was originally posted, I don't believe the blurb. Whenever any reporter reports something the rest pick it up and at least say according to who originally reported the information. This was never picked up by anyone else including the Miami media who could have reported it as a rumor.

Frerotte's contract has been reported at $3 million with a $500k signing bonus for two years, which leaves $600k of incentives and/or roster bonus.

The $6 million is too large an amount not to be reported like Brian Griese's $5.935 million and Tebucky Jones' $3.3 million roster bonus.

Philter25 said:

I have already explained that too. A ridiculously large roster bonus in the second year of a two year contract is an assurance the player will be released to test the Free Agent market. This happens when the Club wants a two year deal to spread the signing bonus over two years and the player wants a one year deal.

Merman said:
I have already explained that too. A ridiculously large roster bonus in the second year of a two year contract is an assurance the player will be released to test the Free Agent market. This happens when the Club wants a two year deal to spread the signing bonus over two years and the player wants a one year deal.
I completely agree.

The comment you quoted me on was in reference to guaranteed money. I completely understand a roster bonus in that amount, but I cant fathom to understand a reason on why he could get 6 million in "guaranteed" money.

I figured I would test the waters here to see if Clump knew anything about it. Please correct me if I am viewing the "guaranteed" portion of it incorrectly.

Philter25 said:
I completely agree.

The comment you quoted me on was in reference to guaranteed money. I completely understand a roster bonus in that amount, but I cant fathom to understand a reason on why he could get 6 million in "guaranteed" money.

I figured I would test the waters here to see if Clump knew anything about it. Please correct me if I am viewing the "guaranteed" portion of it incorrectly.

Sorry for the confusion.

As discussed before the sentence is poorly written and one could only speculate what the writer intended to say.

I don't believe starting so many games would yield a $6 million guaranteed contract. Maybe the $600k of incentives his contract could have but not $6 million, guaranteed no less. :shakeno:

Starting and winning 14 games I could believe. :yes:

Merman said:
Sorry for the confusion.

As discussed before the sentence is poorly written and one could only speculate what the writer intended to say.

I don't believe starting so many games would yield a $6 million guaranteed contract. Maybe the $600k of incentives his contract could have but not $6 million, guaranteed no less. :shakeno:

Starting and winning 14 games I could believe. :yes:

No problem. I figured you just misread it.

I also dont believe and cant fathom a reason why starting those games would give him 6 mil guaranteed.

I tend to agree with you that the post is probably a rumor or mistyped because I cant think of a single reason why that would exist. However I wanted to check up with Clump to see if he knew anything. :D

Philter25 said:
No problem. I figured you just misread it.

I also dont believe and cant fathom a reason why starting those games would give him 6 mil guaranteed.

I tend to agree with you that the post is probably a rumor or mistyped because I cant think of a single reason why that would exist. However I wanted to check up with Clump to see if he knew anything. :D

Philter i never see u post it is rare

I know that when he was signed there was somthing in his contract that would pay him like a starter if he won the starting job. It was part of the reason he signed with us.

Just to clarify, Merman showed it to me earlier today.... Gus's salary DOES escalate to 6 million next year. The clause in his contract was his salary goes to 6 million next year if he starts 14 games.

There are 16 games in the season, Rosenfels started 1, you do the math.

Gus will be restructuring if he is staying here another year.

Back
Top Bottom