Guys like this make me wish I was a recruiter | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Guys like this make me wish I was a recruiter

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, players like this really make me wish I was part of a college recruiting effort:

[video=youtube;Pq-uHqQkFYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-uHqQkFYg[/video]

In 10 games, ran for 1832 yards and 25 touchdowns on 138 carries (yes, that's a 13.3 yard per carry average). Had 4 catches for 78 yards and a TD receiving. Had 72 tackles with 5 PDs and 2 INTs, 1 FR and 1 FR, 2 defensive TDs. Tossed in 7 kickoff returns for 329 yards (47 yard average) and 2 touchdowns.

Just set a Combine record in Atlanta with a 4.28 second 40 yard dash. Has a personal best 10.9 in the 100 meters.

Current offers on the table? FIU and North Texas.

That's Florida International University...and North Texas.

Seriously?

Knowing nothing else about the kid, I'm gonna guess that this was his transportation:

totgshortbus2-1.jpg

Knowing nothing else about the kid, I'm gonna guess that this was his transportation:

totgshortbus2-1.jpg

So you would think. I got turned on to the guy because I follow USF recruiting and some people were talking about how Davis made a comment that every time he visits USF he falls in love all over again, yet the Bulls haven't made him an offer yet. But then I remembered he goes to the same school where a co-worker's kid plays ball, and that co-worker had been telling me about him along with Andy Embody. Actually, separately, Andy's mom was at the same hair dresser as my fiancee and the two got talking and she told the lady what I do with football and so she whips out Andy's DVD highlights out of the blue and asks my fiancee to have me check them out, lol. Small world.

Anywho short story short I've talked to the co-worker about Davis and he knows him and says he's a real nice, smart, grounded kid.

I believe one of the the QBs you see in that video handing off to Robert Davis by the way is Deuce Gruden, Jon Gruden's son.

So you would think. I got turned on to the guy because I follow USF recruiting and some people were talking about how Davis made a comment that every time he visits USF he falls in love all over again, yet the Bulls haven't made him an offer yet. But then I remembered he goes to the same school where a co-worker's kid plays ball, and that co-worker had been telling me about him along with Andy Embody. Actually, separately, Andy's mom was at the same hair dresser as my fiancee and the two got talking and she told the lady what I do with football and so she whips out Andy's DVD highlights out of the blue and asks my fiancee to have me check them out, lol. Small world.

Anywho short story short I've talked to the co-worker about Davis and he knows him and says he's a real nice, smart, grounded kid.

Then he's got some serious issues.

Those gaudy numbers ... Gotta be a reason for the limited offers.

Homeland Security watch list? Body count? PSU alumni? (:chuckle:) ...

What skeleton is in his closet?!? It's gotta be something.

Its high school ball bro. Not a big deal.

A few reasons he's not on radar. First off he's 5'8" and maybe 170 lbs soaking wet. There are other more highly regarded backs in the state that are small like that, though.

I think mainly it's the lower level of competition, though. First off, there are certain schools widely regarded as pipelines, schools like Plant High School, and if you play at one of those schools then you're pretty much automatically on radar. Carrollwood Day isn't really one of those schools. It's a small school, Class 2A. For those who don't know (I'm only really just learning) there are 8 classes based on school size, ranging from 1A to 8A. My old high school was a 7A. Plant High School is an 8A.

My co-worker whose kid plays at Carrollwood Day came to me asking if I knew anyone that films high school games because some of the kids at Carrollwood Day are trying to get recruited and there isn't even official video taping of their games so they can send their tapes to the other schools. Kids that play at schools like that, it's really up to them to get noticed. They have to play in all these 7-on-7's and tournaments and whatnot, send tape out, etc. The tape of Davis is pretty low quality compared with what you'll see from kids at bigger schools. My co-worker says sometimes he was the guy holding the camera and he knows nothing about camera work. It's tough to get noticed in those 7-on-7's and whatnot when you're a back and you don't have much experience catching the football.

As for the gaudy numbers, they're gaudy even at the High School level. He ran for 1800+ yards this year. That puts him within reach of the Hillsborough County record. If he puts together a 2000 yard season, which for him is within reach, he'll have that record.

Here's a nice article about him:

http://baynews9.com/content/news/ba...cles/bhsn/2012/5/31/carrollwood_day_s_ro.html

He's got offers from Florida International, North Texas, Ball State, Bowling Green, Middle Tennessee State and Presbyterian. Miami and South Florida are keeping tabs on him and staying in communication. As things stand if South Florida doesn't come through with an offer, it sounds like he's going to go with FIU. He loves coach Apollo Wright.

There's lots of camps these kids can go to get noticed as well. Miami, FSU, and Florida all hold them. Al Golden in particular has handed out quite a few scholarship offers to kids who have come to the camps and balled out. That would be my suggestion for any kids wanting to get noticed. There's national camps. You already mentioned the 7 on 7s which are pretty big in Florida, especially South Florida. But yea fast kids who put up gaudy numbers in lower divisions aren't that rare and aren't usually very highly recruited.

On the issue of whether he's dumb, he has a 3.7 GPA and takes all IP courses.

5'7" and 163 lbs at his Atlanta Combine. Had a 31 inch vertical. One 40 yard dash was a 4.28 hand held on 4 different stopwatches, the second one was a 4.35. He ran a 4.37 at Georgia Tech's camp, but didn't get offered because they already had commitments from two backs and didn't feel they had room for three. Personal best of 10.8 in the 100 meters and 21.7 in the 200 meters.

Cincinnati, Michigan, Memphis and Purdue are pursuing him. He plans on visiting Cincinnati, Memphis and Georgia for camps.

If Michigan is pursuiting him then he's the real deal.

Well let me put it this way. Schuman's National Underclassmen (NUC) tested over 3100 high school juniors at their regional Combines this year alone. That 4.28 wasn't just an Atlanta record (I got that wrong), it was a NUC record...period. The previous fastest was Damiere Byrd of South Carolina who stands at 5'9" and 161 lbs, and rushed 10 times for 73 yards for the Game****s this year as a true frosh.

Now the record holder is Robert Davis. He set the record at a SouthEast Ultimate100 camp (name's a bit of a misnomer as 300 kids were invited). He won Fastest Man award as well as the Leadership Award.

Robert Davis, RB, Carrollwood Day, FL (2013)
Testing: 5-7, 163, 4.29 40 (NUC Record), 31-inch vertical, 14x185-pounds
Assets: Davis broke the NUC 40-yard dash record held by South Carolina receiver Damiere Byrd. Four stopwatches tracked his record breaking dash reading 4.30, 4.29, 4.29, and 4.28 as he crossed the finish line. But it's not just his speed that stood out his ability to change directions and catch the ball with his hands are superior to most backs. Davis has everything a college coach could want in an all-purpose back. On top of all the physical skills he possesses Davis is a leader and a high character student-athlete. He walked away from this camp with the Fastest Man Award and Leadership Award.
Development: His ideal playing weight at the next level is probably 175-pounds. If he can add this muscle mass onto his already shredded physique it should help with yards after contact. It's hard to believe that his biggest offers at this point in time are Ball State, Bowling Green, FAU, FIU, and MTSU. I usually don't bandy around comparisons to Warrick Dunn but it fits in this case.

Hate to make a big deal about him, but he is the fastest 16-17 year old NUC has ever tested, so...

These kids are awfully small to be BCS level recruits. The kid from Kentucky is 5-7 and 155 lbs. You'e looking at 5-7 180 or 185 lbs by the time he's a junior in college. Kids like that usually just have to walk on and earn their scholly. Hell, U of L has a freshman on the team that NEVER played a down of high school football.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...uhl-football-recruiting-louisville/index.html

By the time that Linda Uhl took her son Griffin to football recruiting camps the summer before his senior year, she knew he possessed the talent to play in college. He had all the makings of a Division-I defensive lineman: size (6-1, 265 pounds), strength and speed.

Uhl was just missing one crucial thing: a high school football team.

Growing up in Memphis, Ind. (pop. 695), Uhl never played high school football. His tiny school of Henryville High (enrollment: 490) didn't have a program, and he gained most of his experience playing in a nearby community league, one that his parents helped run. Linda filmed the games, and Uhl's father, Jeff, called players who didn't show up. Griffin was forced to do things that most high schools players typically have done for them, from researching his own training methods to cooking his own meals.

Uhl dreamed of playing on Saturdays. But the odds were stacked staggeringly against him. According to the NCAA, of the 316,697 seniors that played high school football last year, just 6.1 percent will play at the next level.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...ecruiting-louisville/index.html#ixzz217Pv5hMO

Back
Top Bottom