Handing out big $$$ to Branch & Kiko instead of committing that money to a guard??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Snoop, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

That decision is looking REAL questionable right now.

This really bothers me so I have to get it off my chest, the interior of our line is as shaky and worrisome as any team in this league. I mean we are one Pouncey injury away (which some would call an inevitability) from a complete disaster. It's absolutely ridiculous and actually mind boggling to me that the man who as GM of the Jets put together the best OL in the league and watched them propel his team deep in the playoffs 2 years in a row despite a pretty bad QB leading the team has failed miserably to fix this unit now 3 years running.

$8/8.5 million per was the going rate for the better guards in free agency this year, and instead he choose to pay that amount to 2 mediocre players, one who's deal wasn't even up. It just makes no sense. I hope he's on the phone talking trade with some teams, we know he loves to ship off draft picks for players, this has to be addressed soon.

2. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

i think without 1-3 real games... that thread looks pretty stupid right now......

3. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Lets be honest our run d was as bad as our guard situation.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  4. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

I concur!!! Ridiculous posts.. Plus we signed a very good G (Ted Larsen) and drafted one with lots of potentials.

Bufeo likes this.
  5. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Oh, btw. I promised to share FO's tackling stats for Kiko when they came out. They were not good: his average tackle came 5.2 yards behind the line of scrimmage (84th in the league) and his stop rate was 42% (87th). Stop rate is, to keep it simple, the % of tackles that are actually good plays for the defense as opposed to good plays for the offense.

JAKEIII, kcbrown and Sons Of Shula like this.
  6. where's th'fish

where's th'fish Scout Team Donator

Wait, how is Ted Larsen very good?

EFWilson likes this.
  7. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

BUT HE'S CUBAN!!!

8. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

They haven't played a meaningful game yet, give everything a chance to show it self then start whining if you wish.

9. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

He's so good we nearly broke the bank when we signed him....he's making close to the vet minimum this season.

10. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Yup. And thanks for that.

But I had an "agenda".

where's th'fish likes this.
  11. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

It's not like we couldn't have done both. This staff has made a decision that they don't put a premium on guards, that much is obvious over the last few years.

12. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

we'd be making the same remarks about our lb core and depth at de if we had forgone the two players in the thread title...

keep a perspective - we took a shot on asiata....we have some depth at the position, and we have a better set of weapons on offense...

may not be as bad as it looks on paper

Superself likes this.
  13. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

We know it bothers you, it's damn near the only thing you post about.

I would've preferred to sign a guard, and we all basically saw this shaky interior coming, but what can ya do.

andyahs and SCLSU Mud Dogs like this.
  14. Racefan99

Racefan99 Active Member

Wish the Dolphins hadnt drafted Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner and Jamil Douglas. Whiffing on 3 OL draft picks has put the team in this predicament.

15. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

A very good guard in Ted Larsen? You can't be serious...A career journeyman backup is more like it
    You're aware he only started 1-16 game season out of 7 seasons?

He's started 11-3-13-4-16-10-8 games in his past seasons
    Ridiculous post is stating Ted Larsen is a VERY GOOD GUARD

Kingdom Come likes this.
  16. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

I like what the Front Office did this off season. Will it work? That is to be Determined but we needed a serious upgrade on the O-Line, the D-Line and The linebacking group. They addressed each group in FA and in the draft. Time will tell if they did right.

spiketex likes this.
  17. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Alonzo was a RFA so he'd still be here on a low 1 year deal which is preferable right now given his injury history and glaring weaknesses. And yes I would gladly sacrifice Andre Branch for a Warford or Leary right now and signed a DE like Alex Okafor for $3 million. You find the next Andre Branch on a 1 year deal for depth.

mmikel30 and BobDole like this.
  18. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

So you agree with me, cool

19. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

The approach to the guard position was strange. I'm not sure what the original plan was there, but it seemed like the salaries blew up in a hurry and Miami went bargain hunting.

I'm good with signing Alonso long-term and kind of so, so with Branch. As it stands, I think Branch might not see a lot of playing time. Guess we'll see how that plays out.

20. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Don't forget about Jon Martin, Shawn Murphy, and John Jerry.

Martel13, John Biello and kcbrown like this.
  21. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned that we will once again get little immediate production out of our early draft picks. Harris is a rotational end, which is fine for now, but there's no obvious signs yet that he's going to be a special talent when the pads come on; and McMillan's season was over before it started. Tankersley was probably going to redshirt if Lippett wasn't injured, but now he has no choice but to perform. Years of no-shows like Jonathan Martin, Daniel Thomas, Dion Jordan, Dallas Thomas, Will Davis, Jamar Taylor, Jordan Phillips, Michael Egnew, and Billy Turner have thrust depth players into starting roles and practice squad players into key depth roles.

Martel13 and cullenbigcstill like this.
  22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Right now branch looks like the lock stock starter at de. Hell gase even sat him vs the ravens giving him the star like treatment.

If he plays like he's the lock stock starter over the quality depth/other options I have seen on the edge miamis gonna see that contract as a bargain.

They obviously really like the player for his role.

23. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

A topic on the radio yesterday was the fact that every team seems to have a position that they have trouble filling. They were specifically discussing defensive backs for Oakland, but for Miami it's been the offensive line and linebacker for years.

The Dolphins haven't made a lot of high picks at linebacker, but they've put a ton of resources into the offensive line and it's still a work in progress. Miami has some nice talent on the line with Tunsil as an anchor, but a lot of questions at guard. Plus, we still don't know if James in the long-term answer at right tackle.

24. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

- Without actually looking it up, how many guard combos from other teams can you actually name? Saying we're among the worst feels like a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not saying our guard situation is good, or even average, but I don't think we are the only team in the league with this issue.

- The jets line was very good during those times, but it was their defense that took them so deep into the playoffs, and having Ladanian Tomlinson didn't hurt either.

- The top guards were getting $12 million in free agency this year, the second tier guys were getting around $8 million, and most of those guys were power scheme guys while we are more of a zone quickness scheme. Plus, do you really want to spend $8 million on a second tier guard? Really?

- I know some people are really down on Kiko, but he's a pretty solid player, and we don't win that Chargers game last year if not for his pick 6, and we don't go to the playoffs if we didn't get 10 wins. We may have found another win somewhere, but glad we didn't have to.

- Branch is far from mediocre, he averaged around .75 sacks per start last year, go ahead and look at what other guys with that average are making per year.

25. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

I'm sure his salary has nothing to do with it.

26. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

to an extent. You act like Kiko and Branch are out here making the most money at their positions and are complete scrubs. Are they each paid a little much? Yes. But they are solid pieces to have on the team. We should have kept Kiko on the RFA status for sure, and offered Branch less- and we still could have afforded a guard

27. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

Both of those stats seem very team dependent, meaning how far a guy is down the field before an inside LB can tackle a guy isn't only up to that LB. Same with whether or not the tackle resulted in a good play for the offense or not.

28. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

Grrrr! This is a complaint of the year but so flawed. Zeiter is getting 12 mill per year and Leary is 9 mill per year, and these were the only 2 above average G on the market this year. TJ Lang could be added to the group but he has serious injury issues from last year. Zeiter's comtract is the richest ever at G. That is too much for a G, but even if we were willing to pay them that there is nothing saying that either had interest in Miami. It was a bad year to need help at online in freee agency and the draft. Making guards tackle or center rich isn't good business, as teams don't do it. The other things we could have afforded to do regardless what we paid Kiko and Andre, as we had 10 million left in August to sign Cutler.

Travis34 and Always Next Year like this.
  29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Gase actions don't seem to be hung up on salary. I'm just saying what it looks like and that's they really like the player for his role. William Hayes can play Harris has been solid not special and Fede is having the preseason of his life. Branch must be showing them something

30. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Jon Martin, Shawn Murphy, John Jerry, Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas and Isaac Asiata and countless free agents in that time span seems as though they have tried to fix the problem.

Superself likes this.
  31. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

Is that why we drafted Asiata? You should know by now that Gase isn't locked into one specific type of scheme, he implemented a combination of zone and power in Denver and Chicago.

You don't see the irony in this statement?

He did win that game, chargers were driving to set up the GW fg, so I'll give him that, but I still don't understand why we had to extend him this year.

32. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

I don't get all of the Branch hate; .75 sacks per start is not easy to come by, and it's usually expense when you do find it.

Also, I've read several times were coaches and players refer to Branch as having a Landry type of affect on the defense, he's a high energy guy that gets the rest of the defense going, I like those guys.

I was actually pleasantly surprised we were able to bring him back.

Superself, jlfin and cullenbigcstill like this.
  33. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

DING DING DING!!!

Bad allocation of resources.

Kingdom Come likes this.
  34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I'm not much of a branch guy frankly I didn't like that contract but he looks to be holding off some pretty solid looking players. I don't buy the Fede stuff as being sustainable in terms of pressure on the qb but William Hayes is showing to be a damn good football player and Harris has been all bull rush and dip the shoulder thus far saving the spin move from either hip for games that matter it appears. First step consistency not always there maybe he's sand bagging that one too.

35. Always Next Year

Always Next Year Starter

- I did say "mostly" zone, I know Asiata came from a power scheme, probably why we waited until the 5th for that type of player, also why he will take longer to start for us when we are so desperate at the position.

- I see no irony in not wanting to pay $8 million for a second tier guard.

- I think Kiko was playing somewhat out of position as the Mike last year, I think he will be much better as a Will, and if he puts up a big year playing the Will we'll look pretty smart for locking him up a year early.

36. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

How about we wait to see how it plays out on the field? Then we can make an informed criticism

tay0365 likes this.
  37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Asiata looks like the 2 deep right guard. I think they are leaning towards urbik as the starting left guard with or without pouncey until Larsen returns

Without pouncey brendel on the pivot

38. CaSh

CaSh Nothing bigga than the B

They never had intentions to pay for a guard. Always focused of the draft and good value at the position

39. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Is this all you post about?

Superself, Gsmack_42 and Travis34 like this.
  40. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

Yeah, I'm not sure why we paid Branch big money, signed Hayes and then also drafted a DE