Happy signing anniversary Don Shula February 18 1970 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Happy signing anniversary Don Shula February 18 1970

Looking at the number of different QB's GOAT Don had success with vs the other usual HC's brought up - truly the GOAT of all GOATs.
I’ve made this point many times. I mean, Shula used 6 different QBs to get to 6 SBs - Unitas, Morrall, Griese, Woodley, Strock and Marino. And Morall was used 2x on 2 different teams. I get that you have 3 HOF players in there but Unitas was pretty old (late 30’s or so) and way past his prime when Don had him playing in the SB off of the bench. The only coach who did anything remotely like this is Joe Gibbs who got to 4 SBs w 3 different QBs in Theisman, Williams and Rypien - pretty impressive in its own right.

Robbie did a great job of concealing that. I don't remember any speculation. It just happened.

The best part was that we knew we already had a ton of talent. Notice Robbie holding that Griese jersey. I'm not sure Shula makes the move if we didn't have Griese. He hinted at that several times.

You mean Happy Tampering Day, right? We gave up a 1st rounder to seal it. Rosenbloom let him walk, still pissed Don blew super bowl III to the Jets. Of course, we'd do it a million times over when presented the chance but still, the league saw it as a tamper.

Better Days Ahead For Miami

I’ve made this point many times. I mean, Shula used 6 different QBs to get to 6 SBs - Unitas, Morrall, Griese, Woodley, Strock and Marino. And Morall was used 2x on 2 different teams. I get that you have 3 HOF players in there but Unitas was pretty old (late 30’s or so) and way past his prime when Don had him playing in the SB off of the bench. The only coach who did anything remotely like this is Joe Gibbs who got to 4 SBs w 3 different QBs in Theisman, Williams and Rypien - pretty impressive in its own right.
This is it .. he never rode the coattails of one quarterback

Back
Top Bottom