Happy Thanksgiving my brothers. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Happy Thanksgiving my brothers.

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Best Thanksgiving from a Dolphins perspective was easily 1973. Despite the unbeaten 1972 season there was still unfinished business against Dallas, a stick in the craw from the 24-3 Super Bowl humiliation. Some Cowboys players had made comments during 1972 and leading up to the Thanksgiving game that they were still superior to the Dolphins and couldn't wait to demonstrate it again.

That type of thing doesn't always translate over the decades but I'll never forget the months long anticipation of that Dallas game. Of any single game in franchise history I'd say that 1973 Dallas rematch stood out immediately, at the point the schedule was released. Fans might not know who we played week to week but everybody was aware the Cowboys were on deck for Thanksgiving.

We were very nervous in my family and among kids my age in the neighborhood. No matter how great the Dolphins were those images of the Super Bowl slaughter were still fresh, and scary.

But it was similar to the Redskins Super Bowl with Miami taking control early and dictating play in a low scoring game. I remember the jubilation in our living room when Warfield caught a long touchdown pass from Griese for a 14-0 lead in the first quarter. Defense and ball control were the staples the remainder of the way. Dallas scored in the 4th quarter but we didn't feel fully threatened. The final was the same as the Super Bowl, 14-7.

The wrong Dolphins/Cowboys Thanksgiving Day game receives the bulk of the attention.

Back
Top Bottom