Hard Rock Stadium field condition updates

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dirwuf, Oct 19, 2016.

1. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Maybe we need to get artificial light to shine on the grass to make it grow better. Artificial crap would make it so fricken hot, players would be collapsing during the game.

2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

They used grow lights last year and it did nothing for this turf. They should have just stuck with the same grass type they had before the canopy...and used the grow lights.

3. Heisenphin

Heisenphin formally known as CANEPHINS

Actually Wolfsburg Stadium in Germany is almost our twin.

[​IMG]

And the funny part is they don't have a turf issue. They also use the same grow lamps that we used last season (failed) and they have the same shadow issues with light only hitting parts of the field.

"The pitch is covered in hybrid grass,[3] which is natural grass that is reinforced with synthetic fibres, thus improving its weatherability.[55] The Volkswagen Arena was the first Bundesliga stadium to introduce such a system.[56][57] From the outset, the pitch has been heated so that matches can be played regardless of ice and snow.[58]"

Here is what they use: http://www.dessosports.com/sports/football/football-projects/vfl-wolfsburg-germany

Not only is their turf good, it is rated the best. http://stadiumdb.com/news/2016/06/germany_wolfsburg_with_germanys_best_turf

phins_4_ever, eggman1 and GothicPhin like this.
  4. pjcab

pjcab Well-Known Member

So why aren't the dolphins doing what they are doing at Wolfsburg Stadium as a lot of players were on our injury report today and I don't think that crappy field helped anyone...just garbage conditions
    Beautiful stadium...crappy field.

5. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

The thing you have to remember about these european stadiums is that they don't get anywhere near the rainfall we get in south florida. Not to mention, alof of the ground down here is STILL saturated.

I know the field has drainage systems, but it has still taken its toll on the grass.

The other thing is that these fields are used almost strictly for soccer. I really dont think the turf takes the kind of pounding and abuse that an american football field takes.

That said, who knows, maybe it will work down here.

And for you northern folks, grass grows weird down here to begin with. Outside of golf courses and football fields the rest of us have this St. Augustine crab grass stuff, cause regular sod doesnt grow in FL.

6. malok

malok Rookie Finheaven VIP

Why not just go to field turf? I've never enjoyed watching a game on artificial turf and less than a game on grass. Why keep hammering your head against the wall.

Unless I'm missing something? There's gotta be a reason they want a grass field so badly?

gunn34 likes this.
  7. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

I imagine that's what they're thinking, but are hoping to get thru the rest of the season before making a final decision....

malok likes this.
  8. DefensiveEnd76

So you want our guys playing on a surface that would be 130 fricken degrees??!! Don't you realize how much hotter artificial surface gets vs. grass. Our players would be collapsing on the field from the ungodly heat as would the opposing teams players.

9. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

The Orange Bowl had artificial turf at one time and the heat never seemed to be a problem for it then. And that was worst turf than they play on now.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    matt11390 and dirwuf like this.
  10. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

And there was no roof to block much of the sun, which caused the heat....

matt11390 likes this.
  11. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

GothicPhin likes this.
  12. malok

I've spent the last 5 years coaching summer ball on field turf. I'm well aware how hot it gets. Still prefer that to seeing blown out knees caused by ****ty turf.

Avigatorx and eggman1 like this.
  13. scodoublet

scodoublet Anywhere. Anytime. Donator

I want the Amsterdam Quality Control System installed in my own lawn!! :)
    My front lawn looks great: nice, dark green kentucky blue grass.
    My back lawn is ok, but lots of holes from our Lab.
    Still better then HRS grass, though!! LOL

14. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

It really looks like the little brother to Hard Rock. :laugh

15. Heisenphin

16. DefensiveEnd76

Then get that mixture. Get the issue fixed once and for all.

17. hab321

hab321 Well-Known Member

The '72 Dolphins played on artificial turf......seemed like they did ok. Of course, I'm not an artificial turf guy. Is the new turf better than the old stuff?

18. malok

Much better. The old stuff was like playing on carpeted cement.

The new stuff has plenty of give, and it's consistent. But the rubber pellets get hot as hell.

19. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

Okay, so the new field (between the goal lines) is just about installed, my question is how is this time going to be different than the last ten times they've replaced it over the last two seasons?

PROPL_l.jpg

Dbest and scodoublet like this.
  20. shaqdiese1

shaqdiese1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Just wondering since it is Miami...

21. NYC#1finsfan

NYC#1finsfan #1DandyDanFan

The field that is down there now is terrible.

22. eggman1

eggman1 Well-Known Member

Yep been saying that for 3 weeks now pathetic

23. Viggen

Viggen Well-Known Member

It’s an embarrassment to play on a field tore up by a college game week after week on national tv

matt11390 and dolpns13 like this.
  24. bradmcnutt13

bradmcnutt13 A True Fan

Do they play soccer on field turf? Doesn't Ross what to have big soccer events played there?

25. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

been asking this forever... natural in that climate, with everything happening on it??... cmon Ross, get the Lucas Oil FieldTurf or the new stuff that has bubble wrap underneath!

26. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

The field was brand new prior to yesterday's Canes game but couldn't even handle pregame warmups for that game. I posted that in the game thread. The engineers were guaranteed to botch some aspects of the patchwork. The field condition assumptions just happened to be what they missed badly on.

I'm sure the brief rain prior to kickoff today really contributed to how quickly the field gave way. I didn't think it would suffer as badly as it did. By late game today you never would have guessed the field was new.

And now the Canes play at home each of the next two weeks. There's no rest for this field. I'm sure the turf will be replaced at least once more this season.

The top international soccer teams despise field turf. That really limits Ross' options. He likely has to give up the major soccer matches if he installs field turf. Check the comments after the 2015 Women's World Cup, which was held in Canada and most of the sites used field turf. It was considered an experiment, and one that failed. Recovery time was a huge issue. The field turf placed so much stress on legs and ankles that players simply weren't ready to play again 3-4 days later. Alex Morgan had some very pointed comments on the issue. Prior to the tournament there was even a lawsuit against FIFA for allowing a major event on field turf but it was quietly dropped since players were advised not to make waves.

Granted, an occasional friendly on field turf is not as taxing as an elongated tournament. But nobody wants to risk an international superstar on field turf. There have been instances at Gillette and elsewhere in which grass was briefly replaced over field turf for soccer. That could be an option at Hard Rock. But given the known problems of the field holding up for even one game under best conditions I don't see how it't attractive when field turf is underneath.

It's amazing how much the roof has impacted the field conditions. When I look back at some of the 2015 games like Miami/Nebraska it's unbelievable how fast and firm and pretty the turf was. That was by far my favorite season at this stadium because the corners of the upper deck had been removed to make way for the video screens a year later. Not only was there more air flow at my low upper deck seat than ever before but obviously the additional sunlight through those gaps really benefitted the grass as well.

Fins1971 likes this.
  27. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

28. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

Field being replaced yet again...

PROPL_l.jpg

scodoublet likes this.
  29. johngarry

search it... all surfaces are being designed and marketed ‘soccer centric’; so this argument is a non-starter; all fields can be whatever blades or blade combinations desired.

30. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

The field is an embarrassment to the organization. I doubt we get many big time games here with this condition.

31. scodoublet

scodoublet Anywhere. Anytime. Donator

How many times did players slip on this field!?
    It was clearly effecting the game.

32. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

It was just miami players slipping

33. DefensiveEnd76

Get the damn synthetic and real grass mixture.

34. johngarry

search it... all surfaces are being designed and marketed ‘soccer centric’; so this argument is a non-starter; all fields can be whatever blades or blade combinations desired.

35. johngarry

have Carl reach my golf course supe.. he can’t grow fairways to save his life!

LDaniel7 likes this.
  36. johngarry

this would solve some issues, but... it's the problem of logo switching; Packers & Broncos use their hybrid, but don't have collegiate teams in-house; Garfinkel prob searched this out already

37. Heisenphin

The logo switching would be handled the same way, either replace that square or paint over it. That area at midfield wouldn't impact overall play as an entire chewed up field would. Also, they could just go without a logo at midfield. Problem solved. They don't put one at midfield of Heinz Field when Pitt and the Steelers are sharing it. Steelers logo is only there when Pitt is away or their season is over.

38. Ren

Ren Rookie

It's not like no other team plays on artificial turf. Hell, the local high school here in TX has artificial turf when the air temperature is at or around 100 degrees. And they don't have giant mist fans, a full staff of waterboys, and all the other tech that the NFL has. So, that excuse doesn't fly.

39. Third Eye

Third Eye Scout Team

And here I watch the Packers at home on MNF in November and the field condition is PRISTINE. Yes it's a hybrid and no one would know. Zero chunks of turf and sold footing for all.

Heat underneath, sand layer, and grow lamps do the trick. All from Green Bay Wisconsin.

Miami field is a complete joke. Just like their talent level.

Can this front office do anything right? They probably even have single ply toilet paper in the stalls. And the dispensers that only give out one square at a time.

40. DefensiveEnd76

There's no excuse for the joke of a field we have. We have an All World Stadium now and a crap field.