Hard Rock Stadium Renovation Phase III

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phins_4_ever, Jan 13, 2017.

1. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

A lot has happened over the last 2 years. The stadium has undergone a 2 phase renovation which completely transformed it. From new seats and reducing capacity by taking out the upper corners (Phase I) to installing a new canopy (Phase II) which gives the stadium a new feel. With that came a long term deal for a stadium name you can be proud of and the days of yearly changes from some underwear company to generic names to cheap crappy beer are over.
    Now comes Phase III, and I believe it is the final phase.

I am not sure if we will have webcam access like with the roof construction so we will be relying on fans and employees of the Dolphins to post some pictures. I will stop by there once in a while and see if I can get some pics.

Phase III:

• For those who are sitting in club seats and suites will see a remodeled club/suite area next year. If anybody does a relocation on-site rather than online please give us some progress pictures. I believe the relocation process begins February/March.
    • Besides the suite area the biggest project will be the parking area. A complete redo is in order and as some rumor has it it will include tunnels and/or bridges from the outside lots straight to the stadium.
      The goal for the Dolphins is for fans to exit the lot in 20 minutes or less. So I would assume that some extra work will be done in the road access department.
      In the past if you parked in the East lots the exit was pretty swift. Our tailgate spot (East 22) was in a pretty good spot. But if you ever parked in the South or West lots exiting can become adventurous and time consuming. And I heard more than once that if you exited wrong you got stuck on 199 Street/Honey Hill Road and had to drive to SR823 to catch the Turnpike. A detour which took up to 1 hour.
      It will also be interesting to see how it will affect our Tailgate Spot. I may have to redo the direction page.
    • Bars will be added around and under the video boards in the 300 level. This year they used that spot for standing room only. How that will affect the standing room only and/or if it still will be available remains to be seen.
    • And then there will be a lot of cosmetic and facial surgery done. Redoing and painting the walkways of the concourses is part of that.

I anybody has some additional info please post it here.

With all that being said: Hard Rock Stadium will be finished this summer.

d-day and VBCheeseGrater like this.
  2. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

Any word on what they might do with the turf?

3. Ryan1973

Ryan1973 Pro Bowler

I think they need to install field turf but I doubt that will happen.

4. Heisenphin

Heisenphin formally known as CANEPHINS

For starters it looks like they are letting it die off. They have not been using the grow lights and nothing has been done to the field since the last snap of the season.

[​IMG]

5. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I exit to the west at Canes games. It's a disaster. Twenty minutes is a comedy act. For one thing, the traffic cops at some exits force you to turn opposite of the intended route. That's why I no longer consider attending Dolphin games. I enjoyed the Orange Bowl so much the parking or departure situation never entered my mind. But at this venue it is not something I'm willing to tolerate, along with the parking fee.

If they use tunnels or a bridge something won't be contemplated or designed properly, whether it's standing water into the tunnels or slippery muddy stairs on an above ground version. They really have to be careful with something like that. The tailgating aspect means a high percentage of fans linger in the lots and then try to enter the stadium at the same time. It is a mob scene and not everybody is paying close attention to what they are doing, not to mention many are drunk.

The upper level and the concourses need tons of cosmetic work. Tons. It always makes me laugh that this is pitched as the equivalent of a new stadium when I'm walking in areas that look like they haven't been cared for in decades.

I have no idea what they can do with the playing surface. That aspect didn't receive nearly as much attention as warranted this season. Very poor job by the local media. I attended several Canes road games this season, at Virginia, at North Carolina State and the bowl game at Orlando. The fields all looked and played fantastic, such a departure from the Robbie bowl. Not until you're removed from the situation do you realize how ridiculous it is to have problems trying to grow and maintain grass.

6. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Hot Sauce Moderator Finheaven VIP

Parking fees are ridiculous at every event, sports related or not.

:lol: There won't be any standing water or muddy stairs. They have had tunnels at Daytona International Speedway since the 70's and there has never been standing water or muddy climbs. I'm sure design technology has improved since the 70's, so I'm almost positive they will figure out how to divert the rain water elsewhere.

I was somewhat disappointed they aren't going to remove the luxury seating at the 50 yard line area. Such a bad idea. Puts us at a disadvantage and looks really awkward.

fininpsl likes this.
  7. scodoublet

scodoublet Anywhere. Anytime. Donator

Yeah, I saw that. Definitely looks like they are letting it die off.
    I wouldn't expect them to keep it in the best tip-top shape off season, but it looks nasty right now!

8. phins_4_ever

I tailgate. I never had a problem entering the stadium. If there are any delays they are minuscule.

Of course the stadium looks weathered. It has been a bare concrete structure for almost 30 years. What you basically have is just the concrete basics like every stadium has - even the new once. That's why it is so easy to modify. If you look back at the initial renovation under Huizengha they took the boxes which was the old club area off and hung a new structure which expanded all three levels. The old ones are still there - on the east and west side.
    It is a 30-old stadium which is being updated the last two years and this year to bring it to more modern standards. But we all can sit here and ***** and moan but unless you have a billion dollars in your pocket it is what it is. The only thing I can say is: if ya' don't like it, don't go.
    And I always find it amusing when people ***** about Hard Rock Stadium and then say "I enjoyed the Orange Bowl so much more." Dude, the Orange Bowl was a dump at the end. Friggin sewage dripping down from the upper level. It was also a bare concrete and steel structure.
    One should wait until Hard Rock has completed the renovations.

The playing surface was put in a couple weeks prior to pre-season. From that moment on it was double duty. The grass never had a chance to grab root. Once again, we all can ***** but how about we wait what it looks like with an entire offseason under the belt.

redbeard75 likes this.
  9. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

The only problem I can see with a fan tunnel is that during august or september that thing is gonna be a lake, I'm sure they'll put in more than a few storm drains.

10. Trifecta Nation

Trifecta Nation Rookie

My question would be: come 2019, will it seem like a decent super bowl stadium for super bowl LIV or not? Ross bankrolled the upgrades, but is it good enough by league standards? In the next few years, can Goodell still demand more upgrades before it gets played there?

11. phins_4_ever

The Superbowl in 2019 is in Atlanta. 2020 is in Miami. The selection was made after our improvements were made public and we threw another home game to London.

12. Trifecta Nation

Trifecta Nation Rookie

Following the 2019 season, of course!

13. NaboCane

NaboCane I'm on my comma

I said this even before last season, and I was right. By the end, the field was a chunky, cobbled-together, muddy mess. It looked like the hashmark in a baby's diaper down the middle. It was UNSAFE. It hindered the game.

This stubborn resistance to a modern approach such as Field Turf, which has improved in its decades of existence, is moronic on the part of the Dolphins org.

:D And ya gotta love the "love it or leave it" tough guys. Every city with a team has them, but they're all the same. Even criticism of the stadium is high treason with the mouth-breathers! **** you, you're no more a fan than me and I'll say what I want about everything having to do with the team.

DeeperImage likes this.
  14. Trifecta Nation

Trifecta Nation Rookie

Agreed, Nabo. It's frustrating because it's a fixable problem and would improve the stadium upgrades by a lot. Ross put the money into the upgrades, why not get the field right too? It would help in many respects: aesthetically, performance on field, safety of players, etc. Let's get it right!!

15. Daytona Fin

Field will be fine next year. I will bet it will be on the of the best.

16. NaboCane

NaboCane I'm on my comma

Faith is...well, just faith.

OTOH, if you have some insight into the future, maybe PM me some Powerball numbers? Help a brother out.

17. Daytona Fin

Yes we need faith because Hard Rock may be the only place in south Florida that can't grow grass. :bobdole:

18. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Giving the grass root structure a chance to grow is the key and it was just getting churned over every second week.

19. scodoublet

I agree and apparently this new grass doesn't tolerate getting the paint removed so they have been ripping it out and putting new grass sections down all the time.
    Why pick a grass that doesn't fit your needs?
    Makes no sense to me. :idk:

20. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

I'm assuming the sporadic concerts that are scheduled at Hard Rock before next season aren't going to help the turf situation....

PROPL_l.jpg

21. Heisenphin

Here's the final product after one event and concert.

[​IMG]

22. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

That looks like an Earl Mitchell pass rush. Everywhere but up the middle.

23. phins_4_ever

Current status of the Club/Suite area

suites1.jpg suites2.jpg
    suites4.jpg suites3.jpg

24. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Is the random nightclub in the middle of the stadium still a thing? Or did that already disappear

25. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

They still have a Club Liv at the stadium

26. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

I heard the theme song you hear when you walk in there is 'Boats and Hoes'.

27. phins_4_ever

Random? :lol:
    Sorry I had to laugh. Wasn't so much at you.

Club Liv is one of the top night club spots in south Florida. It is located in the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach. But between you and me: I walked through the Club Liv area in the stadium a couple times but I am not sure it is a post game spot. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who is actually sitting in that area. When I still had my club seats I had the most expensive ones: homeside, 50 yard line, Dolphins Prime. It was really a waste of money since I tailgate and hardly used the free buffet. I was trying to get into the Club Liv area once and asked my rep that they should make at least tickets for after game fun available to other club seat members. Nope. Once I walked by after a game and it was rather quiet. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise. :lol:

In Europe something like that would be the spot to be at. European sports fans are much more into post game activities then down here. In South Florida it is more about: get out, get home.:(

28. uk_dolfan

Oh I know club Liv (at least the main one) is a big deal I just always just found it an odd thing to have inside a stadium...i have seen lots of videos and pics of it full of people drinking and ignoring the game - not my cup of tea

When I go to Old trafford I admit I head for the exit the second the whistle goes - the inner city post game traffic is hell on earth even if you leave asap. It can often take well over an hour to get a mile away from the stadium - in that sense I I assume Hard Rock being in the middle of nowhere has its benefits

29. Daytona Fin

30. phins_4_ever

31. uk_dolfan

could fit the entire Marlins fanbase into one of those with space to spare

32. phins_4_ever

................... :rotfl1: :rotfl1:

33. uk_dolfan

:lol: maybe im being a little harsh but some of the pictures of that Marlins stadium that get shared by the Herald etc look amazingly empty

Some of the stadiums on that list are small for good reason, Ashton Gate (Bristol city i think) is home to a lower league team and Windsor Park is used by a semi professional team when international games arent being played

34. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

that's Miami fans in general isn't it? I remember when the Heat were bad nobody showed up, then the Big 3 came and they sold out every game. not sure what they are doing attendance wise this year, it has to be down. Dolphins are no exception either

35. Heisenphin

The field for soccer looks so much better than anything we had for football....all season. Looks like they put down new turf and it is so much better, for now.

[​IMG]

spiketex likes this.
  36. scodoublet

Yes, it looks way better.
    Hopefully after getting root during this off season it will be ready to go for next football season.

37. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

Yes, much better now, but my concern is what will happen after the summer concerts and multiple game weekends...will it hold up?

38. phins_4_ever

It is every team in football outside maybe Green Bay. If you look at those who called themselves best fans in the world (in the past and present) they have empty seats as well: Buffalo, Jets, Patriots in he 90s (just in our division alone) etc.
    Let's not forget the 12th man in Seattle who was absent during the 90s and early 2000s when the team sucked and they played in front of 40,000. I believe they actually talked about moving the Seahawks back then.

That the seats are only empty in Miami when the team sucks is an alternate reality.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

If it had enough time to have the roots set deep it should be no problem. Frigging grass is growing through sidewalks and driveways in Florida. :lol:

39. Soflonative

Soflonative Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I was told last week by my ticket rep from the Dolphins that the parking lot areas will be addressed following the 17' season. He said that they will be adding walkway bridges and tunnels for better foot traffic flow from the parking lot areas to the stadium.

40. phins_4_ever

So they puhed it off until after next season? Good. Saves me a trip down there just for that.