Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hartline agrees to terms with Dolphins

Swope is also a very good route runner. And I can't say how good his hands will be at the pro level, but they were great at the college level. I had said in my last post that we could have him at the no.4 and wait until Bess's contract expires and put him in the role then, giving him a year to get used to the offense. He's just a plain more dynamic slot receiver than Bess, and if you have the chance to improve the position especially with a 3rd or 4th round pick you do it.

He is a decent route runner but they take forever to develop and by no means does he deserve the trait of "great hands" because he wouldn't be close to those who truly have great hands in the NFL. He body catches a lot (could be something to do with his small hands) and his gauntlet was very unimpressive and dropped ball at his body. He has made a lot of great catches but he has a bad habit of catching with his body. I think he will be pretty good after a few season but their is a reason why you hardly see him in even 2nd round projections. He isn't perfect or show anything ground breaking.

That would be a good argument, but he's had 6 TD's in 4 freaking years. It's not a fluke that he couldn't find the endzone in 1 year. We even had Marshall getting double teamed the 2 years he was here, and Hartline still couldn't score more than 2 times.

I agree with everything you said, except I can't blame any offensive player for not producing with henne running the show. Even Marshall had very limited TDs with henne tossing.

I believe that this re-sign is a direct result of Tannehill wanting him back.

It is very likely that Ryan either asked (or was asked) his opinion of resigning Hartline and this signing makes a case that Ryan wanted Hartline back. In my opinion it is a good resign because it would have been a bad Idea going into next year missing the one player that Tannehill really seemed to connect with. Young Quarterbacks need familiarity and time to develop a connection and clearly Hartline and RT had a connection going.

Look at guys like breaston, meachem, burleson, during there free agency years, they all got similar $ on new teams.

If we want to keep hartline it was always going to cost this much because another team def would offered a contract close to it.

Besides you guys saw how hard it is for players to learn our offense, more than half the wrs we brought in, egnew, clay, even moore and garrard all had problems, hartline wasnt even here in training camp and he picked it up. we need continuity, and he's young, tanny has a target he knows that will be here for the foreseeable future.

Believe me, I'm not a huge hartline fan, but the contract makes more sense when you really step back amd look at it.

He is a decent route runner but they take forever to develop and by no means does he deserve the trait of "great hands" because he wouldn't be close to those who truly have great hands in the NFL. He body catches a lot (could be something to do with his small hands) and his gauntlet was very unimpressive and dropped ball at his body. He has made a lot of great catches but he has a bad habit of catching with his body. I think he will be pretty good after a few season but their is a reason why you hardly see him in even 2nd round projections. He isn't perfect or show anything ground breaking.

He's always been a good route runner and never had a problem with drops in College. I mean he broke the schools catch record so he must not be doing too bad in that department. If teams decide to pass on him because of the gauntlet then that would be very stupid of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to New England and take over the Wes Welker role and do much better than him.

This move fails moneywise if they bring back Clemons instead of upgrading him now. Sign hartline to this deal should seal Clemons exit.

Uh Hartline was our MOST productive receiver last year. Were we suppose to just let our current best WR leave?!

Well you don't overpay him as much as we did I'll tell you that. You let him test free agency and if anybody wants to pay him stupid money you laugh and let them.

Jordy Nelson signed a 4 year contract worth 13 million. Those 2 contracts need to be switched with the players.

Glad to see it. Given the crop of WR's this year, we weren't getting him for 5.5M per year, so 6M or a little over was actualy a pretty decent deal. Great sideline routes, good hands, very durable, enough speed to get deep occasionally, good blocker, excellent route runner, chemistry with our QB. I'm very glad to have him resigned.

6 million a year for 1 TD production?

Mike Wallace better be looking for 48 million a year then...

Hey, if Mike Wallace can get us 8,664 yards in a single season (same math you used above) then hey, the man deserves 48M per year! Of course that's more than Calvin Johnson has made in his entire career, and 4.4 times as much as Johnson had last year--his biggest year ever yardage-wise. So definitely, if Wallace can generate that much yardage (more than 4x Adrian Peterson's rushing yardage) then pay the man ... or superman as it would be.

Glad to see it. Given the crop of WR's this year, we weren't getting him for 5.5M per year, so 6M or a little over was actualy a pretty decent deal. Great sideline routes, good hands, very durable, enough speed to get deep occasionally, good blocker, excellent route runner, chemistry with our QB. I'm very glad to have him resigned.

Hey, if Mike Wallace can get us 8,664 yards in a single season (same math you used above) then hey, the man deserves 48M per year! Of course that's more than Calvin Johnson has made in his entire career, and 4.4 times as much as Johnson had last year--his biggest year ever yardage-wise. So definitely, if Wallace can generate that much yardage (more than 4x Adrian Peterson's rushing yardage) then pay the man ... or superman as it would be.

Well considering that TD's is a much more important stat than receiving yards I wouldn't put too much weight into your analysis.

But heck, Hartline has the same amount of career TD's as Wallace does in his worst(rookie) season. So maybe once Hartline can get more than 3 TD's in 1 season his contract might be worth it.

While we desperately need to upgrade our receiving core, remember there's more to it than TD's. He had 48 first down catches last year, again with a rookie QB that he had no offseason with. If we add Mike Wallace and possibly a seam threat imagine what they would have added to the Fins last year, well now with a QB getting better, an intelligent hard worker with improved weaponry he should be looking forward to breaking out. I agree this seems rich this contract, but it is NFL free agency and thats what he was valued at, we could have risked him getting signed for more by a rival team.

He is a Miami Dolphin and I believe he will work hard to improve each year as he has since coming into the league. He makes some great grabs, and his sideline toe tapping is absolutely beautiful. He has very subtle sneaky route running tricks that get him open, it will only improve with more weapons around him and more development with our young offense, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom