Hartline and Dolphins near deal....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ejpoock20, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ejpoock20

ejpoock20 Active Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brian-hartline-miami-dolphins-long-term-deal-030513

The Miami Dolphins are close to finalizing a deal with one of their own top free agents.
    A source told FOXSports.com that Brian Hartline and the Dolphins are nearing agreement on a contract that would keep the wide receiver from hitting the free-agent market. The multiyear deal would average between $6 million and $6.5 million a season, the source said.
    Hartline’s agent Drew Rosenhaus was unavailable for immediate comment.
    A 2009 fourth-round draft pick from Ohio State, Hartline is coming off his best NFL season. He had 74 catches for 1,083 yards and one touchdown in 2012.
    If the deal cannot be finalized, the 26-year-old Hartline would be attractive in a free-agent class lacking depth at wide receiver behind Pittsburgh’s Mike Wallace and Green Bay’s Greg Jennings. Hartline, though, is believed to want to stay with the Dolphins.
    At roughly $38 million under the salary cap, the receiver-starved Dolphins could sign Hartline and still make a run at Wallace or Jennings when the free-agent signing period begins March 12.
    Rosenhaus can begin negotiating with other teams Saturday if a deal with the Dolphins isn’t completed by Friday night.

2. JEDIJ007

JEDIJ007 It's a trap! Finheaven VIP

I'd like to see the details on his contract. But if its 6 mil. get Patterson with the #12 pick and Bailey in the late 2nd or one of the 3rds. WR core would be instantly upgraded.

3. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

4. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

6 Mill is not bad for a WR as young as Hartline and as solid (but not spectacular). I am happy with this move. If the Dolphins can somehow get Wallace, they can use their high picks this year on other obvious holes like TE, CB and (if Clemons leaves) S.

5. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

I rather save the money we would from signing Hartline at near 7 million per year and get Jennings instead. You can quote me on this, Matthews is going to beat out Hartline this offseason/preseason.

6. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I truly believe this takes wallace and jennings off the table.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

7. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Those numbers must mean it will be more a "backloaded", incentive-geared, and not such much guaranteed deal. Likely one where Ireland offered to make the numbers "average" a respectable number and a nice signing bonus in exchange for a small and reasonable cap hit this year and incentives based.

8. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Il just copy my vip post (im lazy)

Hmmm 6 is fine with me, a bit rich for Hartline but he can do a good job for us. The guaranteed money is the important bit, I suspect this contract will be heavy on incentives, if he continues to produce like he did last year then I will be delighted to pay him six million. If his numbers decline then I suspect so will his wage.

It takes and off the table, but that was never happening.

9. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Terrible. I'd much rather get Wallace or Jennings and find a Hartline replacement in the draft. 6-6.5 mil per for a guy that rarely gets great separation, and never gets YAC or scores TD's? Terrible.

10. Vertical Limit

And both are superior players to Hartline. I don't like Wallace much but if it's between Hartline and Wallace or Jennings, it's not even a debate. Wallace and Jennings is clearly better, though worth 3-7 million more.

7 million per year for Hartline? A guy that is going to get beat by Matthews this offseason IMO. Okay....

11. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

you're dreaming. with hartline and bowe already off the market, jennings and wallace will both get over 10 mil a year.

12. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

In an offseason where Wallace is going to get twice that...6 mil isn't all that bad for Hartline. Interesting if it gets done to see if they will still make a play for Wallace/Jennings....or if they will look to solidify the position through the draft and spend there money elsewhere. Fact is we need more weapons though...if they don't go after Jennings/Wallace they should at least make it a priority to add one of the top TEs available

13. Vertical Limit

I never said Jennings will get 7 million, I said we could save the money from signing Hartline and pay Jennings instead, who is a far better player.

14. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 A True Fan

I really hope you are right and Matthews emerges...but to expect Matthews to come in and be a 1,000 yard receiver next year like Hartline was this year...doubtful

15. uk_dolfan

And why not have both?

if we sign wallace a possession receiver like Hartline will be important.

16. IAFINFAN

IAFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Heart line is must sign with how he and Tannyhill seemed to connect with each other during the season, but also not much competition so didn't have any other options. That being said would like to see him back if price is right. $6mill against the cap seems high so hope if he is signed would be lower cap number than that. Bess is player I just hate thinking Miami might lose because he just seems to always be open but has had injuries the last couple of years and that will hurt his chances of coming back, huge on 3rd downs.

17. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

6 mil for 1 TD a year? What a joke.

18. ShootinBlanks

ShootinBlanks Scout Team

Smart move. Now bring in a true #1 receiver and we'll finally have something. Plenty of people on here will ***** about 6 million per year but I think he's worth it.

19. Vertical Limit

Hartline got 1000 because there was no other receiving options. I highly doubt he gets 1000 if Marshall was still here.

Let's not forget the fact he only caught one touchdown and we all can remember that touchdown was against the Cardinals, the day he got 250 something yards. Take away that game and Hartline averaged 55 yards per game the rest of the season and no touchdowns. IMPRESSIVE! :lol:

20. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

I too like the comfort level Tannehill seems to have with Hartline so I like the move. The thought of Tanny losing his running back, tight end, and go to receiver is a recipe for regression in his sophomore year so I'm ok with the move. Some added help either in the draft or breaking the bank for Wallace will be a bonus that will only help a young offense.

21. uk_dolfan

22. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

Hartline blows. Let him walk.

He's a #4 at best. Save the money Miami.

23. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

Why, golly... 6+ mil for 1 TD is howdy doody...

[​IMG]

24. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

I just hate the TD argument. People on this board want Jared Cook from the Titans and he had like 4 TDs. He's much better than that....and Hartline is much better than 1 TD. Why did those players not score often? because their teams stunk in the red zone. The playcalling was awful and there werent many chances for TDs. A Lack of TDs isnt necessarily on the player, but more on the team. Marshall didnt score much here either, then he goes to the Bears and had double digit TDs.

25. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Yep....CRAP move. Hartline is a number 2 period, he is NOT an impact player. Clearly 6.5 mil a year is WAY too much for Hartline. Crap move by Ireland :-(

26. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

To those complaining, we can't afford to let all of our free agents go. Hartline was the most productive and cost effective FA we could keep at a position of need. What if we couldn't sign Wallace or Jennings and were stuck with Bess as our number 1 with a draft pick as #2. I could only imagine the bitching then.

Hartline is a safety measure. I don't think this takes us out of the running for Jennings or Wallace.

27. beanh8er

beanh8er A True Fan Donator

Take away a guy's best game and his stats look worse? You don't say?

28. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

How does this take Jennings and Wallace off the table?

Hartline was going to be resigned all along. The chemistry he and Tannehill have isn't something you always see between qb and wr. Our WR core needed upgraded last year and it still needs upgraded. This just gives us a solid #2 to line up opposite Mike Wallace.

We will probably still draft a WR but there's no way we can rely on them to step right in, no way at all. We will still be active in FA IMO and should still land one of the two premiere WRs.

29. Crazysimon

Crazysimon Scout Team

This worries me. He had 1,000 yard season as our number 1 receiver last year. Only 1 touchdown. We shipped Marshall out for dropping td passes etc.

30. WadeCounty1231

WadeCounty1231 Well-Known Member

Hartline is an average receiver at best and not worth 6 million a year.

31. Digital

Digital Starter

All the silliness in this thread.

Hartlune is a good receiver. He excels at the sideline routes, has better than average size and a little speed. He runs great routes, has good hands, and dependably produces yards and first downs. He blocks well, he does just about everything well. If he were 5'8, had his own reality TV show, or a personality disorder I'm guessing many on this board would love him.

He isn't Calvin Johnson, but at 6M per year there are many higher paid WR's that are less productive. The whole argument that if you take out the Arizona game he is average puzzles me. It was the highest yardage game by a WR in MIAMI DOLPHIN HISTORY. D'ya think a day like that might pad a WR's stats a bit?

I'm guessing that if you take a day like that away from any receiver his stats would go down dramatically, even great receivers like Andre Johnson, Roddy White, or Mike Wallace. So of course it is going to have an impact on a good but not great WR like Hartline.

Get over the delusions of grandeur people. Wallace will be 13M to 14M per year, and Jennings probably 9.5 To 11.5M per year. Nothing about this deal suggests that anyone thinks Hartline is in that tier of legitimate #1 receivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  32. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Maaaaaaan. This better not be for more than 3mil/yr.
    What a waste of money :(

33. J Tes

J Tes next generation

You know who did have a say in this matter and has forgotten more about football than you know is Joe Philbin. Last I checked he's coached both players the past 2 seasons and I'm sure he agreed that signing Hartline at roughly 6M/season was a much better deal than giving Jennings 10M

34. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

:lol2:

35. Joe_robbie#1

Joe_robbie#1 Polish Dolphan

Can not wait until Hartline proves the doubters wrong. Good chemistry with Tanny and a solid #2 receiver.

36. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

How can you argue against the TD argument? Your argument about play calling is so weak, I literally LOL'd. He would have had 0 TD's if the DB from Arizona didn't fall down. Play calling? Pretty tough to come up with inventive plays when your best WR is physically outmatched by nearly every DB he faces. In your mind how/why is Hartline so good? Don't give me this crap about he's so much better but then blame the play calling. If he WAS that much better, he would have broke for a couple more TD's. He's not worth 6 mil a year or any other team.

37. jlfin

jlfin old pro

"at best„ The most overused words used on this forum for detractors and armchair GM's

38. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Funny how that works doesn't it. :chuckle:

39. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Actually it's pretty remarkable when you think about it that Hartline was able to amass 1000 yards considering he not only drew the attention of the best corners but also double teams when his counterparts were the laughable likes of Leggaboo, Gaffney and Marlon Moore!

40. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

i say they still get wallace..rookie wr's don't do squat there first year..i say we DRAFT the big TE from notre dame in the 12 pick than CONCENTRATE ON THE DEFENSE FOR THE REST OF THE DRAFT.