Has Jeff Ireland learned from mistakes? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Jeff Ireland learned from mistakes?

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-dave-hyde-commentary-0205-20130204,0,4926753,print.column

On the first day of offseason, GM takes center stage

Dave Hyde, Sun Sentinel Columnist, 7:25 PM EST, February 4, 2013
There's only one question for Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland on this first day of the NFL off-season, and it's not why he still has this chance, what he'll do with $48 million and five high draft picks to spend or whether the next few months will define his football reputation, once and for all.
It's simply this: What has he learned these last five years?

They've been pockmarked by draft mistakes, free-agent issues and problems that have translated into four straight losing seasons. Few general managers survive such a run. Ireland has.

So what lessons are learned as another Super Bowl with winning models passes by? Let's hope:

1.Don't trade the 12th overall pick. Come on, we're not going to have this discussion again this off-season, are we? Ireland traded out of the 12th pick in 2010. He got Jared Odrick (28th overall) and Koa Misi (40th) for that pick. They're average starters.

But look what opportunity was missed. With the 14th pick, Seattle took safety Earl Thomas, an All-Pro the past two years. With the 15th pick, the New York Giants took pass-rusher Jason Paul-Pierre, who helped them to a Super Bowl title.

When you trade down from a high spot, you lessen the odds for greatness. And great players are what the Dolphins lack. Forty-one percent of this year's Pro Bowl selections (32 of the 78 every-down selections) were picked among the top 15. So trade down from their 12th pick? Let's hope not.

2. With any Top 15 pick, choose someone who can score touchdowns through the air, rush the quarterback or make game-changing plays on defense. Defense and running games aren't winning titles anymore. That game's gone. Baltimore scored 12 post-season touchdowns. Ten were passes. Six were at least 20 yards. Baltimore and San Francisco are built and coached as traditionally as any contending team, too. Both teams scored in the 30s in the Super Bowl. San Francisco had nearly double the rushing yards (182-93) as Baltimore.

Until the last draft, the Dolphins' blueprint was backward. Take Ireland's 2011 draft. His first two picks were old school: Mike Pouncey, a great center, and running back Daniel Thomas, whom he used a third-round pick to trade up for. Look what San Francisco and Baltimore did with those picks. San Francisco took pass-rushing defensive end Aldon Smith and quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Baltimore took cornerback Jimmy Smith and receiver Torrey Smith. They used their most valuable picks to win the way the game's played today.

3. Get a red-zone target. Who did Ryan Tannehill have to throw to in the red zone? Baltimore beat New England in the AFC Championship because it held Tom Brady to one touchdown in five possessions inside the 25. Notably, 6-7 tight end Rob Gronkowski was out injured.
Baltimore beat San Francisco because 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick didn't have a completion in five attempts inside the red zone. Again, defending the pass is a way to win. And, again, you need a proven red-zone target.

4. Choose free agents judiciously for fit and impact. For Irelands' first three years, the Dolphins spent wildly. And dumbly. Who can forget giving center Jake Grove a guaranteed $14 million? Or getting exactly what they feared and overpaid for in the trade for Brandon Marshall? Ireland now has the salary cap under control. His last two off-seasons of small, free-agent activity suggest his ideas differ from Bill Parcells, who had final say those first three years. He'll no doubt buy a free-agent receiver: Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace or Dwayne Bowe. That's necessary.

Baltimore and San Francisco again showed the winning model is to build through the draft with significant add-ons. Baltimore signed receiver Jacoby Jones, for instance, for two years and $7 million. He scored two Super Bowl touchdowns.

5. Speed wins. Again, the Parcells Way was big and strong. Ireland has tried, by increments, to change that the last two drafts. But the reason the Dolphins have trouble causing turnovers is end Cameron Wake and safety Reshad Jones are the only players with speed on the defense.
Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome's No. 1 tangible for picking players? "Speed,'' he said in Super Bowl week.

So before we get to the question of what the Dolphins do as the NFL now turns to the off-season. It's something simpler. What has Ireland learned these last five years? Copyright © 2013, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Your thoughts.....? :ponder:

Okay.. but some people never learn. As far as the past tells, Ireland is "some people."

Ireland is drafting for a different coach now, and as we saw last year in Ryan Tannehill, he's not afraid to draft a skill poistion early.

Ireland is dradfting to meet the needs of a different coaching style/philosophy. I think he was drafting fine before...Sparano couldn't them!

Ireland is too conservative in everything he does, that's not something you can unlearn.

There is nothing wrong with trading down from the 12 pick . . . . but in that draft you had some real solid players that could of been selected . . . . while I think in this draft the "value" lies in that late first round through the mid 3rd round . . . so scooping up more picks is a "good" thing. Also he went DE . . . I mean I understood the Odrick pick, it was about value . . . a guy Ireland probably had rated top 15 at the 28 spot . . . he did RIGHT by taking him . . . . but he had a chance at Gronkowski with the next pick and went Misi in an attempt to fill a need as we lost Taylor/Porter yet we NEEDED a stud TE.

If Ireland got offered the #28 and #40 pick RIGHT NOW for #12. . . I'd pull the trigger w/o thinking twice . . . Miami would have 6 picks between 28 and 82 . . . . I'd run with that.

Ireland traded 2 2nd round picks for the head case Brandon Marshall. Was that conservative?

We know that was Ireland's call because it went against every single one of Parcells' principles.

I think they need to take a playmaker at 12. An exciting pass rusher, ball hawking DB or exciting WR. If they are tempted to take a lineman instead, trade down.

Parcells traded for marshall, the Ireland you saw in 2010 was a mannequin.

Parcells traded for marshall, the Ireland you saw in 2010 was a mannequin.

Nobody knows that for sure . . . all we know is Jeff Ireland was the GM at the time of the trade. 2nd, you can argue that trade gave Ireland some credibility to having balls to go after a top 5 WR when he felt there was not one available at the time . . . even if the guy can be problems. Dolfans were crying for a big time WR and Marshall is one of the biggest in the NFL.

Personally, I didn't mind the trade, you aren't going to hit on everything . . . I appreciate the swing tho . . . better than watching Jake Grove and Gibril Wilson eat up a bunch of cap while either being hurt or sucking.

5. Speed wins. Again, the Parcells Way was big and strong. Ireland has tried, by increments, to change that the last two drafts. But the reason the Dolphins have trouble causing turnovers is end Cameron Wake and safety Reshad Jones are the only players with speed on the defense.

Wake and Jones are the only players with speed on defense? Really Dave? They may be the only players on defense that plays fast but they are not the only players with speed.

The fact that Ireland went against his own principles in drafting Tannehill last year mean that you can teach old dogs new tricks or in this case, teach them to adjust their outdated philosophy.

Ireland had to trade down in the past. This team needed to upgrade talent at every level, now we need play makers and the top play makers normally come from the top quarter of the draft. In the past we needed linemen that could hold up better than a turnstile (remember the playoff game against the Ravens?). Now we are more set there so we can fill other needs, instead of every single position, and go for guy's that can score, sack, or turn the ball over. I think Ireland win's big this offseason... at least I hope, for his, and all of our sakes he does!

Who else lacks the confidence to think he has?
There's only one question for Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland on this first day of the NFL off-season, and it's not why he still has this chance, what he'll do with $48 million and five high draft picks to spend or whether the next few months will define his football reputation, once and for all.
It's simply this: What has he learned these last five years?
They've been pockmarked by draft mistakes, free-agent issues and problems that have translated into four straight losing seasons. Few general managers survive such a run. Ireland has.
So what lessons are learned as another Super Bowl with winning models passes by? Let's hope:
Read more:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fl-dave-hyde-commentary-0205-20130204,0,6337355.column

So lets get this straight...

Ireland trades back, misses on great to good playres and gets average players
He has had a below average career in Miami
His FA hits are below average
His teams have been consistently average to below average
His teams lack Great players or any HOUSEHOLD names.
Almost every player that contributes IS Average.

Do you notice teh trend here? I do but I also know 99% of the people that wear fin shades notice only 1 trend here, this dangerous man who sucks at adding talent has "5 picks in the 82 and 45 mill to spend"

thats like handing a psycho with just a Pistol an RPG and an M16 with unlimited ammo now. But I mean, its Ireland and this is MIami so I guess its like handing Baby Jesus some unlimited milk instead.

Back
Top Bottom