Have there been any Jonas Gray sightings? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have there been any Jonas Gray sightings?

According to Jesse Agler:

Jesse Agler ‏@finsjesse 48s
UNOFFICIAL RB stats...
Miller 5/12/TD
Thomas 4/15 + 9yd TD reception
Gray 4/13 + 2 rec for 17 yds

Omar seemed really impressed with him. He talked a lot about the power Jonas showed.

One thing you have to understand about two positions, linebacker and running back, is that you're not going to really see what thsoe guys are capable of until you get them into real game like situations. Linebackers aren't allowed to tackle in practice, and tailbacks therefore can't show you their power and tackle breaking ability in practice.

To some extent a guy like Cam Wake is also going to look different in scrimmages/games than practice. Without getting into too much grainy detail, a lot of being a pass rusher is about how you finish; that final lunge to the QB or your closing speed. If you're not allowed to touch the QB then you're not allowed to really finish as well as you want. You'll look blocked where maybe you would have been able to cut back to the QB...or you'll look late even though you totally had him.

I want to see Gray make it. I like what he brings to the table. How the skill positions work out with roster spots looks dicey.

5 receivers
4 backs
4 TE
1 FB
Thigpen

Is that one too many, or two too many?

A lot of people on this site aren't particularly ND fans. I AM.

JONAS GRAY is a legit POWER HB. To borrow a phrase from J MADDEN, "he's SHORT...not SMALL". GRAY will give you power from Tackle to Tackle. Remember all of those "3rd/4th and inches" that we never seemed to pick up? Well...

GRAY will give you smart play, and a lot of skills. The screen pass, for example, might become a big weapon again. And you have to remember, ND's game was power rushing. I myself have a feeling that, if given some latitude to run wide, JONAS GRAY will do well, w/a little help from his friends (a/k/a, the OL). It's my opinion that (1) GRAY will give MIAMI's ground game more than just one dimension (inside power rushing); (2) he'll also not hurt our passing game in any way, AT ALL; and (3) he'll add to a solid group of HBs, who ALL seem to bring specific "looks" to MIAMI's overall "game". If MIAMI asked him to go up in the stands and sell hot dogs and beer, he'd probably excel at THAT as well.

I really feel that if JONAS GRAY's fully recovered from the knee, a LOT of teams are going to wish they had as much "guts" as MIAMI when it signed and carried GRAY, knowing full well that (a) there was risk (as always w knee injuries), and (b) that MIAMI would have NOTHING to show for it for at least a year. Well, to the rest of the NFL: tough nuggies!:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Omar's note on Jonas.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...e-dolphins-scrimmage-20130730,0,5320415.story

4. I hadn't noticed Jonas Gray unit Monday night, when the team began live hitting. NOW I'm intrigued by Gray, who spent all of last season on IR rehabbing an ACL tear. Gray, who is 5-foot-9, 230 pounds, runs with power, and keeps his pad level low. Sometimes you can't tell that kind of stuff until real hitting takes place and you see a guy drive through a tackle. Before Sunday's scrimmage I had Gray penciled in as a practice squad option, at best. Now I'm beginning to reconsider his standing with the team.

Dave Hyde also seemed impressed by Jonas.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...s-dolphins-scrimmage-20130730,0,4783296.story

9. Three smaller names who were noticeable: A.J. Francis had a sack and a pass deflected; Kelcie McCray intercepted a Matt Moore pass and returned it 50 yards for a touchdown; Jonas Gray ran four times for 13 yards and had two catches for 17 yards.

Before the injury, where was Gray projected to be drafted? Are we talking about a 3rd or 4th rounder here? What was his pedigree overall--like was he a big time 5 star recruit, etc?

Miller didn't even average 3ypc!?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Before the injury, where was Gray projected to be drafted? Are we talking about a 3rd or 4th rounder here? What was his pedigree overall--like was he a big time 5 star recruit, etc?

It's not a fair question because he was completely off radar until senior year. He was a former high recruit, physically gifted, but nothing clicked for him as far as playing time goes until his final year. Scouts don't require tailbacks to have played a whole lot before they grade them highly, in fact many scouts are a little the opposite and care more about how much tread you have on the tires. But even so when you're not on the scene at all until your senior year then you need a good run-up to draft day for everyone to get their hands on your tape and digest what you've shown, settle on a grade. That process never even started because of the knee injury on senior night.

Jonas Gray a HS 4-star looks like is schools choices were mainly Big Ten ......
Rivals 4-Star

Thanks. I love this kid's skill set. I hope they find him roster-able. That might mean keeping 4 backs plus Thigpen which might seem unusual, which is why I am squeamish about roster availability for Gray. I see no indication that Thomas is on the outs, actually everything seems to be to the contrary. Even with fullback de-emphasis, I'd be surprised if we don't keep either Lane or Rodriguez, but maybe Miami will look at Gray and think they will be covered with short yardage there and with blocking with the TE's such that both Lane and Rodriguez are jettisoned.

Of course an unfortunate injury to one of the other three backs paves the way for Gray, not that that would be a good outcome in any way.

He's #32 and now. From the hand full of plays i saw he has some wiggle but overall stiff , not that fast , but does have power and his pass blocking looked better than most of our other backs. Overall it looked like he's coming back from his acl and lacks some speed but he did look like he should find a home in the nfl because he played like he belonged.

Back
Top Bottom