Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 11

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Positives
    * The key to the Fins staying in this game was the Fins D keeping the Bills to FG in the red zone. Buffalo did not have an offensive TD.
    * Miami improved its 3rd down D. Buffalo was only 2-12
    * Great stops by the D in the 4th quarter to give the struggling O a chance.
    * Reshard Jones was a monster today. Active on all levels. Forced a fumble that was not recovered.
    * Cameron Wake was active. He was held and cut, yet he was everywhere.
    * Marcus Thigpen kick return for a TD. Explosive run.

Negatives
    * Once again, we lost the turnover differential 3-0. It is a broken record. An early fumble and another two picks. On the flip side, the Dolphins D never takes the ball away. Never. They have opportunities. Jimmy Wilson dropped a huge pick in the end zone at the end of the half. Karlos Dansby missed another pick six. The Bills put the ball on the ground twice and Miami does not get them. The Fins have no chance without winning the TO differential.
    * Ryan Tannehill is struggling. I think he is seeing ghosts. Obviously, he is not progressing. Tannehill has had opportunities versus two lousy D's in Tennessee and Buffalo and produced all of one TD. His 3rd down production is awful. RT is missing the strike zone bad. In the first half, he missed a wide open Charles Clay. Finally, Tannehill shows little in the end of game situations. There are issues around him, but he is not doing his part. His play in the past two games is how I thought he would play all year.
    * The offensive line was terrible. Jake Long is a shell of himself. Richie Incognito was abused. John Jerry is unathletic. Johathan Martin had a night to forget. There is no push in the running game. A bad Dave Wannstedt defense that had been gashed all year and the Dolphins were dominated. The Dolphins cannot run the ball anymore.
    * The Hartline fumble was big. The reception was near midfield. The Bills turned it into points.
    * Anthony Fasano has disappeared.
    * Nolan Carroll...holy crap. What an awful game.
    * Sean Smith has no ball skills.
    * The special teams did some good things tonight, but cannot get a pass because of the McKelvin TD return. It was the difference in the game point-wise
    * Dan Carpenter's miss. I disagree with the attempt. At the time, we needed two TD's and the kick was too far out.
    * On the McKelvin TD, I feel the refs missed a roughing the punter penalty. It would have brought back the TD and given the O a 1st down.
    * Gaffney and McDaniel not being active was surprising.

Overall Assessment
    * NFL Network is over their skis in covering a live NFL game. Too many technical difficulties. Mike Mayock...blah, blah, blah. Take a breath Mike.
    * The Bills let the Dolphins hang around. While outplayed, Miami could have stolen this game. However, because Miami cannot move the ball nor take the ball away, it was not meant to be.
    * The Fins' offensive coaching is out of answers on how to move the ball.
    * Ryan Tannehill is getting exposed. Yes, not a lot happening up front and the talent at receiver is far from ideal. However, I thought for the first time, the staff tried to "hide" their QB. The next six games are huge for Tannehill, but unfortunately the most talented teams remain.
    * The Dolphins have no chance to win if they turn it over. They have no ability to get turnovers from an opponent.
    * The CB's are bad. Each week another guy is getting abused. I said in August that the CB's were the worst unit on the team. While the receiving group got the most attention, the corners were far worse. The condition that Ireland left the CB's in, going into this season was disgusting. Sean Smith is okay at times, but Jimmy Wilson, Nolan Carroll, Chris Clemons and injured Richard Marshall are not answers going forward in any type of primary roles.
    * I said after the Tennessee loss in a thread, that it would not be until mid-December until the Fins win again. They have played two lousy defenses and done nothing against them. Now, they have legit D's in Seattle and SF in two of the next three weeks separated by the New England Patriots. It is going to be an ugly time in South Florida over the next month. Ugly for the new coach. Ugly for the rookie QB. Ugly for the GM. Hide the women and children.

2. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

couldnt agree more

3. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

You're right for the most part. Dolphins defense isn't turning the ball over, but they held the Bills to 12 damn points. They played a hell of a game.

What surprises me is how bad the offensive line is. Just terrible. They can't block at all.

4. Hayden Fox

I agree about the O-line. "Surprise" is a good word you used. I really thought that unit was going to be a difference maker for the emerging offense. They are just bad right now. As ****ty as the DB's are and needs at receiver, an overhaul upfront might be needed outside of Martin and Pouncey. Crazy.

5. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

the oline is a joke. the only one on the line worth anything is pouncey. long is a shell of himself, incognito sucks, jerry is slow an unathletic and martin gets abused. such a dam shame that we have sooooooooooo many holes on this team. WR, CB, OL, S, DE.

6. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

No point in trying to establish a run game at this point

7. Hayden Fox

I unfortunately think it gets worse for RT over the next three weeks. We have no chance to run the ball versus Seattle, New England and SF. It is all on RT at this point and he is not improving. Ugly times.

8. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

If he stinks it up again against Seattle, he's probably going to get benched.

9. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Good write up. Think you hit just about everything with your negatives list there.

O Line was awful tonight. Awful. I'm beginning to doubt that Jake should be re-signed (but will be, when Ireland inevitably stays). Hopefully he gets healthy. Incog can pack his bags as far as I'm concerned. Both guards are killing us. Jerry needs to drop some pounds.

Offensive play calling was not good. Sherman I'm looking at you.

Gaffney was injured.

10. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Your first 3 positives are more negatives for the Bills than positives for us. Don't know what they were thinking with some of the red zone play calling especially on 3rd down but thats probably why they are 4-6.

Don't want to make a thread for this so I'll post it here:

Merriman is a beast his first few seasons while juicing, sucks when he gets off the juice and today he's throwing Long around like a rag doll and running down Bush like he's 18 again. I wonder if he could possibly be back on the juice?

Edit: Oh yeah, mathews was a positive. Don't know how many snaps he had but the 2 times he was targeted were for big plays.

11. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

Has Tannehill hit the proverbial rookie wall?

12. Da Phinishisher

Da Phinishisher 'Shisher

If Ryan is benched Philbin should be immediately fired.... period...
    This year is now an evaluation year and RT beefs needs every snap for experience.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

come on dude...roughing the punter on that td return by mckelvin...maybe if it was a womens league...

14. PCmor

PCmor Continuity

I got the exact same impression.

Don't leave out the owner.

15. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

There's not gonna be much to evaluate. RT has turned into Blaine Gabbert for the time being and rookie QB's don't just shake that off when half of their remaining games are against division winners and another is against one of the more dangerous pass rushes in the league.

16. Hayden Fox

Dude, Darren Rizzi looks liked he agreed with me.

17. LouPhinFan

LouPhinFan It's ok to say "I don't know". Finheaven VIP Donator

I've got to disagree with you Carroll. Sure he had a bad game tonight, but prior to this game he's been our most consistent CB. Smith and Clemons can go kick rocks for all I care. Those 2 are terrible.

18. Hayden Fox

Don't leave out the owner.[/QUOTE]

Sun Life will be empty next week. Too bad.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

rizzi loses credibility for legit calls when he blows his stack on that play...he should point the finger at his coverage unit who ran down there and filled the lanes like they all had massive loads in their pants...

20. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

At this point the dolphins could shoot clady a $100to million dollar offer and i would wish they had offered him more.

21. Dick Pepperwood

Dick Pepperwood A True Fan

Spot on Dude! See You in 2013! Thanks Man!

22. FinSince1971

FinSince1971 FinSince1971

Great job of summing it up. All of us are busted up about a team we were once proud of being a tough out while being young and on the rise. Teams we played recently had apparently studied up and prepped for us as we've failed to adjust and change it up, so now we're stuck in mud without answers. The only hope Miami has is to throw different looks and schemes on the field to start making plays again and try to salvage wins.

Bill T

23. Hayden Fox

Miami has to make a decision to fix one side of the ball this offseason. Be an incomplete team next year. So be it.

I would fix the offense first. Joe has to find the type of offensive line that he can run his system with. I would look for two new athletic guards, allow Martin an offseason to get stronger, Pouncey is a keeper, Long...I got no idea. From there, athleticism needs to be brought in to the receiver position. I would bring back Hartline if possible. Him along with Bess are solid players. I think they are okay at RB with Thomas and Miller.

Anyways, I would keep trying to develop Tannehill. Attempt to put him positions to succeed. However, my time, effort and money would go to the offense. Might help with the interest in ticket sales too if you go after the Mike Wallace's, Greg Jennings' and Dustin Kellers' of FA.

24. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Another plus was finally seeing Rishard Matthews on the field. We have had a porsche locked up in the garage.

25. Dominate

Dominate I just want to WIN ! Donator

Pretty good write up Hayden. However, I'm not a Tannehill Homer and he has made mistakes that are all on him, but really what in the **** do you expect from him?!?! How in the heck is he suppose to progress as a QB when every other single person on offense has drastically REGRESSED the last 3 games?!? Our O-line has went to absolute crap. They can't even keep pressure off our QB with NO blitz! We have zero running game, and our WR's get so little separation that the window to throw to them is smaller than the football itself. I mean honestly...when our offense is playing like it is, what can you REALISTICALLY expect from our rookie QB? Sure he can be better, but IMO he is the very least of our problems on offense right now.

26. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I don't know how Tannehill is supposed to be improving when he has no running game, no WR's or TE's that can make a play and an oline that can't protect him.Can't anybody here see that he has no help at all?

Ozzy rules!!

27. Hayden Fox

QB also has to lift up the level of the team. He will have ups and downs. Lots of downs right now and into the next few weeks.

28. mialuv13

mialuv13 A True Fan

Great write up Hayden.

Tannehill has to throw better balls down the middle of the field. He really struggles between the hashes. Our O-line has been getting bullied around. Our Secondary is hard to watch other than Reshad Jones. He's playing out of his mind right now. Sean Smith has some serious mental lapses. Dude is 6'3" and 220 lbs, he has the ability to be a top notch corner but he has serious mental lapses. He plays like he doesn't realize that he can overpower WRs.

The Dolphins have a lot of maturing to do. That Colts game completely drained this team IMO, and it also exposed this team pretty bad. More than halfway through the season we are starting to see the character of this team, and they can no longer hide their deficiencies.