Hayden Fox's Assessment Week 14 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment Week 14

Also, blocking on the Daniel Thomas 55 yarder was thing of beauty. Pouncey got a good one but the guard (I think it was Brenner?) totally pancaked his man opening a huge hole for DT.

I LOVE IT when the positives are double the size of the negatives :D

He did look very meek.

Come on Hayden, gotta give Joe a break on that one. He's on the sidelines and it was a toe drag, his vision is limited as everyone else's and even the replay on tv was tough. I'm sure joe was waiting to hear from someone up above watching the replays. He's been very good with his challenges this year. And how many players beg their coach to throw the flag and they're still wrong? I see that all the time

Great report as usual. Forward lateral should have been called on last play. Grimes had a real nice hit today. Ireland is here to stay.

I would of liked to see us take at least one shot into the end zone after we stopped the steelers on 4th down and we were in the red zone with about 2 minutes left in the game. We could of easily put the game away with a TD, but elected to burn some clock and take the FG. I think the end of the game was a little closer then we all anticipated.

Oh and I was furious at the end of the half, but thinking about it now, I wonder if joe kicked because he was worried about failing/handing Ben the ball back around midfield with 3 TOs remaining.

He would've punted if he was worried about that.

Did anyone else notice after Wake strip sacked Roethlisberger he was crying, but the way he stood over him after the sack made it look like Roethlisberger was crying, which was wierd.

Awesome write up Hayden! I agree totally. Our team proved themselves today! We are a contender! I hope we beat Tom Brady like a dog next week! :-)

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

I would of liked to see us take at least one shot into the end zone after we stopped the steelers on 4th down and we were in the red zone with about 2 minutes left in the game. We could of easily put the game away with a TD, but elected to burn some clock and take the FG. I think the end of the game was a little closer then we all anticipated.

I felt the same way.... need to stay aggressive.

* Clay made a nice block on Thomas' long run. He engaged and sealed his man to the inside.

* Coyle did a good job of moving defenders around. Odrick started the game very poorly at right tackle. He was pushed around and I thought it might be a bad matchup all day. But quickly the fronts were varied.

* I was very happy when Roethlisberger started targeting LeVeon Bell in the 4th quarter, particularly when it happened two plays in a row. He's not going to beat you with his hands.

* We needed help to stop the Steeler drive in the middle of the fourth quarter when they led 28-24. Those two penalties were vital, the motion penalty followed by illegally downfield.

* We should use the read option looks on short yardage and goal line situations more frequently, especially if we incorporate someone in motion behind Tannehill. It really opens things up, even if you have no intention of the quarterback keeping the ball. I saw numerous examples of success this week, including Bryce Brown bashing into the end zone for the Eagles.

* Difficult to complain about much of anything tonight

Thank you Hayden for an excellent synopsis. I have wondered if Paul Soliai had good hands and after his attempt to catch the ball, we now know that this is not Big Paulie's strong suit. (I expect that he will get some feedback lol).
I also want to give props to Chris Clemons for some bone crunching tackling. He doesn't get much attention but I saw him twice inflict real pain to Steelers from great tackles. I think that he is a bigger part of the Defense than many realize.
The other great learning from today is that Tannehill is showing more leadership. Considering it was his very first game in the snow and it started pretty badly, he remained calm and personally led the team back into the game. His confidence is growing week by week.

Chris Clemons is a big part of the defense and I realize it, on a play that could have been the season for us, he is the last line of defense when any kind of tackle ends the game with the clock expired, and despite having the angle on the ball carrier he gets caught flat footed and lets the guy run right by him. Only a mistake in footing by Brown left him off the hook and if not for that, Clemons might be the goat of the whole season. When I think Dolphins defense, I thing of choking and of failing to play to their ability and potential in a game's crucial moments, like final drives and defensive drives after the offense has just given us a commanding lead. If you want label a guy a "big part of that" who routinely drops crucial interceptions thrown right to him, and who has less chance of netting a turnover than Randy Starks even though he plays a position which is a ballhawks dream. He's not a terrible player, but painfully mediocre and has little ability to change a game.

Sorry for the anti-Clemons rant, but reading the OP just reminded me of how furious I am at a defense that has yielded without fail against every team not QB'd by Geno Smith or Brandon Weeden.

Philbin would not have challenged that huge Hartline TD if Hartline and RT didn't go over and beg and plead with him. Take a look at it. He still was looking pretty clueless and barely wanted to throw it.

This all speculation. He was listening to the guys upstairs before he threw it. Hartline just made sure he threw it a little earlier.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Great write up. I think the play of the game was Daniel Thomas' big run to set up the winning TD.

While the 4th and 2 decision at the end of the 1st half was horrible, it has been pointed out that the decision not to call timeout with the Steelers punting with 1:33 remaining was justifiable.

From where the Steelers were punting, the Dolphins could have been pinned deep in their own territory. Then, if the Dolphins are stopped, the Steelers, with all 3 timeouts remaining, could get the ball back in excellent field position. I see nothing wrong with taking a lead into halftime.

The important thing to me was that Philbin's clock management was consistent at the end of each half. That tells me that he had a game plan not to risk turnovers in that weather, and he stuck to it.

Completely agree. The sequence where we could have called a timeout to save time was more a case of a great job by the Steelers rather than a poor job by us. By the time we realized what they were doing the timeout was more valuable than the 10-20 seconds we would have saved anyway.

Terrible decision to try the field goal though.

Outstanding post.....excellent comments as always :-)

Back
Top Bottom