Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 16

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* Miami won the turnover differential 4-0. The defense finally got after the opponent. It was the difference in the game. The offense came close to giving a few away, but ultimately did not. Getting turnovers is the quickest way to become a legit team. The ultimate equalizer.
* Awesome to see the Offense cash in 17 points off of 3 turnovers.
* The running game was dominant today. 182 yards rushing. The interior of the Oline was getting a good push. Pouncey was once again agile on his pulls. It was good to see Jonathan Martin getting out in front on a few runs. Nate Garner held his own as well. Let this group be able to be the aggressor and drive forward.
* Lamar Miller was outstanding today. I have been a huge supporter of Miller this year and took heat with how bullish I was on him. Whether he gets to that level, who knows, but he is going to be an excellent pro.
* Reggie Bush 3 TD's today. His two receiving TD's were things of beauty. He also ran tough. Outstanding performance.
* Ryan Tannehill did a nice job today overall. He again showed some nice mobility running for 44 yards.
* Ryan Tannehill went another game without a interception. Considering he is playing with an inexperienced group that is an excellent performance.
* RT had nice touch on Bush's TD.
* Rishard Matthews has a future. He is a big strong kid. He made a nice play down the middle for a big chunk play. He was also belted on his catches and showed a ton of toughness holding on.
* Armon Binns made some nifty catches. Good frame and athleticism. He will be interesting with a full camp.
* Props to Kevin Coyle for adjusting early in the game. Plus, as the Bills started to come back he continued to attack and then shifted to a prevent look as the Bills were up against the clock.
* The D did a much better job of trying to get turnovers.
* The 3rd down defense was really strong overall until the Bills started to make some plays near the end.
* Sean Smith had a good game until leaving the game with a knee. His forced fumble of Stevie Johnson was a big momentum swing. Plus, he was trying to punch at the ball more, which I like to see.
* Good pass rush today. Ryan Fitzpatrick was hit a lot even though the sack numbers were not huge
* Kevin Burnett had a nice strip causing a fumble.
* Cam Wake with a strip/sack. Great player.
* Reshard Jones made one of the best interceptions I have seen in awhile. All I could say is "wow". His developing into a difference maker.
* Karlos Dansby was active and was a great leader communicating with his teammates. With all the new players in the back half, Dansby's leadership was invaluable.
* Dimitri Patterson showed well for being with the team for a few days. He covered well. Seems like a physical tackler.
* The team dominated field position all game. They got enough offense to flip field position. The D got off the field quick enough so the Bills could not pin the Fins. Finally, the Special Teams executed with their coverage and return units.
* Brandon Fields was money today.
* Miami's coaching staff deserves props for weathering the injury bug of late. A great sign for the future of this team. It shows great preparation, player development and in game adjustments.

Negatives
* Tannehill had a few ball placement issues in the first half. The bomb to Brian Hartline needed to be thrown over the wrong shoulder. He threw behind Anthony Fasano on a 3rd down. He hit on 13-25.
* RT also has been a little too free with the ball. Sticking it out for the TD and having knocked away could have been disastrous for the Fins. Also, Mario Williams came free and Tannehill was smacked trying to make a play while the Fins were up two scores. There is fine line between being aggressive and careless. True though, he did not turn it over.
* Marlon Moore had two drops. He is being passed over by Matthews and Binns.
* C.J. Spiller got loose after defenders did not control their gaps.
* Jared Odrick had some undisciplined play. A personal foul and an offsides as the Bills were attempting a comeback.
* The FG operation was a bit shaky early. Must work on that this week going into the last game of the year.
* I have been a big Mike Sherman supporter. However, I was puzzled at some calls today. The running game was killing the Bills and I thought they put it up too much especially in the 2nd Half. You can say this: there are no training wheels on Ryan Tannehill. Sherm has no issue putting it in RT's hands.
* The pass protection got a little leaky in the 2nd half. I think Buffalo has a good D-line, but again, allow the O-line to be the aggressor and play going forward.
* I surprised that Miami let the clock wind down in the 1st half. They had a TO and could have forced a punt. Maybe Miami could have blocked a punt? Maybe Buffalo muffed the snap? Maybe Thigpen could have returned it for some yards?

Overall Assessment
* Excellent win. Winning games to end the year was big IMO. Coach Philbin has at least got 7 wins...more than last year. He has built momentum going into the offseason. Good for Joe.
* Won the TO differential 4-0. Excellent.
* Miami FINALLY got some calls to go this way. In all honesty, I thought the game was called well. Solid officiating. I thought Winter's crew did a nice job. Not being a homer, but the refs did a nice job. I truly believe those calls should have gone Miami's way.
* I was very surprised to see Patterson start. Shows the lack of depth and the injury bug waving its ugly head.
* Olivier Vernon is very athletic. He got a sack, close on others and he was keeping up running with Spiller. Not sure where he fits in, but his future is bright.
* Signing Jones THIS offseason might have to be a priority.
* Garner is a must re-sign. He should be allowed to compete for the RT job next year and is at least a tremendous depth guy. He has ran with the reps and done ok.
* Martin has showed me enough to allow Long to walk.
* I am excited to see what Matthews does next year. I am interested what he does with a full offseason in the weight room and learning more.
* Scott Chandler's injury was big.
* Stevie Johnson was an ass today. He lost his cool and is a diva.
* Don't blame Pittsburgh for losing. Two OT losses in September and winning one game in November did the Fins in. Take control of your destiny next time. Lesson learned.
* I have said all this season it is about PROGRESSION...well, this team has progressed. Good things are happening and there is a lot to be fired up about going into the offseason. One more left to play.

"Finally got some calls to go our way!" Boy did we --- we were getting everything there for a while

nice notes hayden.

Not comfortable with Garner at RT for a whole season next year given his injury history. If we dont sign Long, then a pick has to be made in that regard in first six picks IMO.

Nice write-up Hayden. Enjoyed reading it. I agree about locking up Reshad Jones- I know we have a bunch of other guys to worry about, but getting Jones' signature on an extension should absolutely be a priority ASAP.

Thanks HF ! Great analysis! I cannot wait for next year ! I say that every year, but I see real potential with this team. Lots of money and draft picks. For Ireland, it is now or never !

What have you guys thought of Nate Garner the past few weeks? Anyone think he might have a future as our RT?

Nice write up, although i think an argument could be made that right tackle still needs looked at, and that if brian hartline changes his last three steps. He has a td on that bomb. This isnt tecmo bowl where the receivers are required to run on a solid line, its okay to deviate from the straight line....

Finally got some turnovers hayden!!! woohoo. Two solid performances 2 weeks in a row. Some may discount the wins because they were against poor teams but let's not forgot some of the teams that beat us this year like tenn and buff. We won games we should have in december and we did it with authority. These types of victories will motivate this team next year.

It's funny how you two think you can talk trash or think you know what you are talking about.

jones was atrocious last year and out of position and this year he's good and in position. Clemons is doing well and in position this year.

both make mistakes this year like Clemons late to the ball or Jones taking horrible attack
angles still.

but both are doing well with jones making playmaking plays and Clemons quietly doing what he should be doing.

I attended my first Dolphin game in years today. Decided to watch Reshad Jones on every play, to get a feel for his true caliber.

It was generally a waste. That position has changed so drastically these days in a pass happy league that the vast majority of plays end up with no involvement by the safeties. I felt I had criticized Ed Reed a bit much last night, after watching the safeties on both teams today. I guess I was still envisioning the way Dick Anderson played safety, or the top college safeties in a more run oriented approach, which the college game still features.

Jones takes some poor angles, including on the long run by Spiller, even though he ended up recovering the fumble. As the play developed I could see it was designed to go right and was unfolding to go right. Yet Jones approached the line of scrimmage rather tentatively and toward the other side of the formation, the offense's left. I said out loud, "Where the hell is he going?" Then as Spiller broke into the second level Jones was still uncommitted and seemingly took it for granted one of his teammates would make the play. He wasn't running hard. Far from it. Not until Spiller broke free in the secondary did Jones take off, and he ended up getting credit for a turnover. I don't know what it looked like on TV but in person I wasn't impressed with Jones' initial diagnosis on that play, nor several others that shared similar tendencies.

Obviously he made a spectacular play at the goal line late in the game. I don't want to come across like one of the Reggie Bush rippers who are determined to slight him regardless of what he does. But I hoped to see a great safety in Jones and he demonstrated some weaknesses, notably on play action or slowly developing running plays. Not exactly Zach Thomas in terms of finding the ball when there is trash in front of him.

* Buffalo has a pathetic offensive scheme. One of the most masochistic approaches an NFL team can make is loading up 5 wide receivers in an empty backfield when your quarterback is mediocre or worse. The premier quarterbacks can violate any rule. Fitzpatrick can't. If they keep Gailey and Fitzpatrick there's no upside.

* When Egnew took the field I noticed him immediately and said,"Hey's it's Egnew. We've got Egnew on the field." The guy behind me cut that off in a hurry. "So what? He can't catch a ball." That was the end of any conversation on Michael Egnew. Once we split him out far left and he didn't exactly look explosive chugging down the field. The defender shadowed his shoulder and looked mostly bored, jogging along.

* I couldn't get over the loud enthusiastic crowd reaction to the original Dolphin fight song compared to the new version. Every time the "Miami Dolphins #1" song blared, a high percentage of fans stood up, danced, and sang. When the "left, right" version played it was generally boredom, although one little kid not too far away reacted to it when prompted by his parents.

* In listening to both songs I was struck by the aspect that I've mentioned many times. There was no such things as Fins or Phins in those days. It makes me ill when someone refers to the '72 Fins. Sloppy abbreviations didn't exist in those days, not in relation to the Dolphins. The song spells out Dolphins fully every time, as did everyone else. I'd like to go back to the first time somebody shortened it to Fins and strangle them, or make them spend time with a Reggie Bush hater. Now that would be punishment.

It's funny how you two think you can talk trash or think you know what you are talking about.

jones was atrocious last year and out of position and this year he's good and in position. Clemons is doing well and in position this year.

both make mistakes this year like Clemons late to the ball or Jones taking horrible attack
angles still.

but both are doing well with jones making playmaking plays and Clemons quietly doing what he should be doing.

Your FS should not be as average as Clemons. Point. Blank. Period.

He hasn't gotten better since his first year starting. Obvious to see, he just doesn't have it. Didn't have it at Clemson. He's solid, but easily replaceable.

Back
Top Bottom