Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 2

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* Opening drive of the game. Showed outstanding preparation by the coaching staff.
* When Oakland was eating the offense up in the second quarter, Philbin and Sherman made tremendous halftime adjustments. Awesome to see.
* Loved how Tannehill's drives ended in kicks. It is okay to punt and esp. with a rookie QB. I thought he managed the game well.
* I love how Tannehill seems to know the offense the BEST on the field. I just think that is great for rookie QB.
* No swatted passes
* Hartline was money. Outstanding game. Oakland wanted to stop him, but could not...
* Rushing offense. Bush was a stud. Loved what Lamar Miller showed. The O-line was awesome against a excellent run defense. Anytime you run well against Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour and Roland McClain you deserve props.
* Also, the TE's and Lane were excellent blocking at the second level.
* Reggie Bush. The Fins needed someone to step fwd. and he did. WOW!
* Reggie Bush's conditioning. All kinds of stories about him working hard after practice and it paid off today. When others were tapping out, Bush keep pushing forward.
* Rush Defense. Two straight weeks outstanding in this area. For those that do not know why Paul Soliai re-signing was huge, please review the tape the last two weeks. Big Paul is one of the best players in that locker room.
* 3rd down D...1-12 for Oakland.
* Red Zone D. Held strong this week in the red area. They found ways to get it done.
* Jones was bad early in the game, but I thought he improved in the 2nd half. Lord knows we need someone in back half to produce
* Won the field position battle: Winning the field position battle might have been the most vital aspect of the game
* Early pooch punt by Carpenter. Smart, smart decision by Philbin. This was a field position game and Joe was right to keep them pinned.
* Coverage units were on again outside of one punt return by Adams...

Negatives
* The way that Tannehill has hooked up with Hartline, I cannot help how Ireland dropped the ball by not giving RT more weapons. I am kind of frustrated.
* Early on this year Charles Clay has disappointed. Some decent blocks in the running game, but he is not making much happen in the passing game
* While Jones did have a pick at the end of the game, once again, there is an alarming lack of turnovers being created. This team can bridge the talent difference by getting turnovers. They just cannot seem to do it.
* I cannot get by the fact that our pass D is going to get lit up this year. Again, Ireland left this area exposed. Sean Smith, Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson will not cut it...esp if Marshall is out longer than this game.
* While the this week was not as awful as Houston, the Fins again gave up points near the end of the half. I would like to see them finish halves better. However, Joe made the right call taking a knee at the half. No issues there.
* I wonder if the team should be snapping the ball with 12-18 seconds left when up two scores in the 3rd quarter. They got the play clock down lower later in the game. Not sure if that was going to bite them, but it did not. Lots of arguments to milk it. Lots of arguments to keep what you have been doing.

Overall Assessment
* We have to remember this year is going to be a process. Don't get up too much after a win. Don't get too down BTW after a loss.
* Hartline is better than any receiver that was made available post-training camp
* CB's are needed big time. Start rolling in the vets.
* Congratulations to Ryan Tannehill on your first win.
* Finally, CONGRATS to Joe Philbin. He has been steady through some rapid waters.

I was just wondering: what does Hayden Fox think?

Positives
* Opening drive of the game. Showed outstanding preparation by the coaching staff.
* When Oakland was eating the offense up in the second quarter, Philbin and Sherman made tremendous halftime adjustments. Awesome to see.
* Loved how Tannehill's drives ended in kicks. It is okay to punt and esp. with a rookie QB. I thought he managed the game well.
* I love how Tannehill seems to know the offense the BEST on the field. I just think that is great for rookie QB.
* No swatted passes
* Hartline was money. Outstanding game. Oakland wanted to stop him, but could not...
* Rushing offense. Bush was a stud. Loved what Lamar Miller showed. The O-line was awesome against a excellent run defense. Anytime you run well against Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour and Roland McClain you deserve props.
* Also, the TE's and Lane were excellent blocking at the second level.
* Reggie Bush. The Fins needed someone to step fwd. and he did. WOW!
* Reggie Bush's conditioning. All kinds of stories about him working hard after practice and it paid off today. When others were tapping out, Bush keep pushing forward.
* Rush Defense. Two straight weeks outstanding in this area. For those that do not know why Paul Soliai re-signing was huge, please review the tape the last two weeks. Big Paul is one of the best players in that locker room.
* 3rd down D...1-12 for Oakland.
* Red Zone D. Held strong this week in the red area. They found ways to get it done.
* Jones was bad early in the game, but I thought he improved in the 2nd half. Lord knows we need someone in back half to produce
* Won the field position battle: Winning the field position battle might have been the most vital aspect of the game
* Early pooch punt by Carpenter. Smart, smart decision by Philbin. This was a field position game and Joe was right to keep them pinned.
* Coverage units were on again outside of one punt return by Adams...

Negatives
* The way that Tannehill has hooked up with Hartline, I cannot help how Ireland dropped the ball by not giving RT more weapons. I am kind of frustrated.
* Early on this year Charles Clay has disappointed. Some decent blocks in the running game, but he is not making much happen in the passing game
* While Jones did have a pick at the end of the game, once again, there is an alarming lack of turnovers being created. This team can bridge the talent difference by getting turnovers. They just cannot seem to do it.
* I cannot get by the fact that our pass D is going to get lit up this year. Again, Ireland left this area exposed. Sean Smith, Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson will not cut it...esp if Marshall is out longer than this game.
* While the this week was not as awful as Houston, the Fins again gave up points near the end of the half. I would like to see them finish halves better. However, Joe made the right call taking a knee at the half. No issues there.
* I wonder if the team should be snapping the ball with 12-18 seconds left when up two scores in the 3rd quarter. They got the play clock down lower later in the game. Not sure if that was going to bite them, but it did not. Lots of arguments to milk it. Lots of arguments to keep what you have been doing.

Overall Assessment
* We have to remember this year is going to be a process. Don't get up too much after a win. Don't get too down BTW after a loss.
* Hartline is better than any receiver that was made available post-training camp
* CB's are needed big time. Start rolling in the vets.
* Congratulations to Ryan Tannehill on your first win.
* Finally, CONGRATS to Joe Philbin. He has been steady through some rapid waters.

So why this comment

cannot be happy for Joe right now

:tumbleweed:

I also thought Philbin's decision to run out the clock with 40-50 seconds on the clock in the 2nd quarter was peculiar. The Raiders were going to get the ball first in the 2nd half. We had all our time outs. We should have tried to get close enough for a field goal.

Jones finally made a couple of plays. I still do not think he a long term answer at safety.
Carroll was exposed today. I hope Marshall is not hurt too bad.
WTF is wrong with Clay? Sophomore slump?

I probably meant cannot be MORE happy for Joe right now.

Nobody was routing more for him personally to get his first win than me...

Like I told you before I didn't see any game breaking changes from last year to this year to see bush rape them again.

I probably meant cannot be MORE happy for Joe right now.

Nobody was routing more for him personally to get his first win than me...

Nice write up, but I think you need a little bit more crow on Ryan Tannehill dude. This was a start.

I've heard so many people rag on him as a viable long term option, and to me the kid continues to look like he belongs. He is incredibly athletic, can make every throw including those with touch, and also has illustrated the ability to throw accurately to space on comebacks and out routes.

More than the win over the Raiders and our home opener, I'm really excited about what Ryan can be if we are relatively patient and give him some weapons.

Nice write up, but I think you need a little bit more crow on Ryan Tannehill dude. This was a start.

I've heard so many people rag on him as a viable long term option, and to me the kid continues to look like he belongs. He is incredibly athletic, can make every throw including those with touch, and also has illustrated the ability to throw accurately to space on comebacks and out routes.

More than the win over the Raiders and our home opener, I'm really excited about what Ryan can be if we are relatively patient and give him some weapons.

I do not need to eat any crow on RT. I thought the kid would be best served by waiting until the receiving corp was sorted out. However, once he was named the starter I was the voice of reason around here imploring fans to be patient because he will make mistakes...maybe a lot this year.

He is the most important player on this team. If he flashes, the Fins have a direction into the future.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Which route did you take, though?

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?325540-Good-Luck-Coach-Philbin&highlight=

Any questions...

Fair enough Hayden, I just thought I heard a lot of negativity out of you. I thought you were the one that said "This team can't score 28 points yet." But I might be wrong.

I've read Hyde's and Omar's recaps.

This is better. It's more comprehensive and better written.

Thank you. Means a lot. Congrats to Fin Fans.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

By the way, I did not think the Fins could hang 28 plus on the Raiders. That is not me being negative, it was my assessment...an assessment that was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom