Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 4

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Positives
    * Ryan Tannehill: We heard all week how great the Arizona D is. Those people IMO are right. Yet, versus a fierce opponent in a hostile environment, Tannehill shouldered the load. He kept the team in the right plays and was not a confused by them as much as say...Michael Vick or Tom Brady. I was impressed with the poise that he showed in both success and adversity.
    * Ryan Tannehill showed accuracy. He made some big time throws in tight coverage. Maybe for a week we can put to bed the talk of him losing the strike zone.
    * Brian Hartline was money. Unreal day. He is a legit NFL receiver.
    * Bess was spot on today as well. Clutch catches and seemed to be always open
    * Props to Reggie Bush for getting himself ready to play and gutting things out
    * The pass pro was good. It did leak in some big spots, but that is a big-time D and four sacks on 41 drop backs is not awful.
    * Run D: 28 yards for Arizona. Dominating performance.
    * Pass Rush: 8 sacks
    * Cam Wake was a beast and feasted on a bad RT
    * Sean Smith: 2 picks and did an admirable job vs one the best receivers in the game. Both were critical picks that ended with the offense getting points.
    * 3rd down D was outstanding. Cards had a 25% success rate
    * The team tackling Peterson who was about to score. By not letting him in, it set up Smith's big play. Great hustle and effort.
    * Philbin's call to go for it on 4th down. I was calling for a kick. Joe was right. Plus, it was a money play call to get the ball in the end zone.
    * Sherman's 2 point conversion call was a thing of beauty.
    * Team finished the 2nd half well for the first time this year. Got the pick and moved the ball down for a FG.
    * Sherman had a masterful game plan vs. a highly touted defense. The team and rookie QB were ready. Things were great except for one call...
    * Philbin's decision to leave early seemed to pay off.

Negatives
    * Lost turnover battle 4 to 2. It cannot happen. The Fins had chances to get fumbles and did not. As well as RT played, he must start to limit his turnovers. It will come in time, but in the short-term it is a killer.
    * Legedu Naanee is brutal. He cannot be active the rest of the year. What a critical turnover.
    * Inexcusable 2nd and 8 play call with 2:58 left. The team was running the ball well and about to force Arizona to use TO's. Unbelievably, they call a pass play in which they fumble. Give the ball to your best player and do what you do best. Even it ended with a punt, you would have forced Arizona to go 80 yards. Backbreaker of play call.
    * Missed a handful of fumbles from Arizona kick and punt returners. Could have been game changers
    * First time this year that the team had a hard time getting plays in. They had to burn TO's. Maybe it was the tough road environment or the exotic D they were facing.
    * Daniel Thomas is playing scared.
    * Too many DB's have their back turned with the ball in the air. I does happen, but too much to this group. They have no chance to play the ball so it leads to a catch or a PI
    * Too many penalties on returns. It does not help that Thigpen runs opposite of the blocking scheme
    * Thigpen needs to catch the ball in the air. He let two punts by my count bounce and costed the team close to 25 yards. You notice that Bess was out there late. This team must win the field position battle and him letting the ball hit is not acceptable.
    * Carpenter: tough 50 yarder, but he is struggling nonetheless. He is hooking his makes and the 50 yard miss was a huge game changing play.
    * Horse crap spot on a 3rd down run by Lane.

Overall Assessment
    * Until the Fins get better with the Turnover Differential they are not going to win. They have to be at least plus 2 if they are to win. Negative 2...no chance.
    * The effort and attention to detail was good after a heartbreaker last week vs. the Jets
    * Those people that are arguing that a Plaxico Burress or Jabbar Gaffney could not be an upgrade over Anthony Armstrong or Legedu Naanee are out to lunch. Armstrong was a ghost and Naanee had one of the worst plays I have seen in the NFL.
    * The team showed mental toughness after a ton of adversity...
    * However, they need to find a way to close. It was an issue in the previous regime and still is today. Someone needs to step fwd and close. Who wants to be the stopper?
    * At least the Jets were shutout today

2. PCmor

PCmor Continuity

Thanks, Hayden. I was going to start a thread and post some of my thoughts as a catharsis, but you saved me the time. Pretty much matched what I would have written. Lot of good, couple of bonehead screw-ups that proved costly, and, most aggravating of all, always seem to cost us.

3. LennyV

LennyV Rookie

Thanks Hayden - as far as I am concerned, need to cut Naanee and Armstrong as they are just creating carbon dioxide. There is no way one of the rookies that are inactive, or on the practice squad could contribute less...

4. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Secondary huge dissapointment once again

5. Hayden Fox

Naanee better be doing **** on Special Teams that we cannot see or are looking for.

Ireland has to go get another vet to add to the mix. Gaffney might be a good fit. Nice route runner and hands.

He could practice for two weeks, hit the bye and by then be able to help. I am not looking for immediate returns, but Naanee is bad.

Also, Armstrong is non-existent. Not good.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Outside of Smith to be fair.

6. Dakota Fin

Dakota Fin Active Member

Is Naanee that fast that they are just able to send him on decoy routes as a way to free up Bess and Hartline? Not sure why he is still around but if he goes somewhere else he'll undoubtedly do better. Jets will be watching.

7. packfin

packfin Rookie

HF - great review of the game. I appreciate your insight and, as always, you are right on target. I hope they can stay focused and positive because this team can win and be very competitive.

8. The Tannehills Have Eyes

The Tannehills Have Eyes A True Fan

Smith played great hold fitz to 60 yards and 2 picks he deserves his own thread

9. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Smith did solid today with two interceptions but he still isnt a number one corner but over all he did good today.

10. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Nannee cannot be active next week. He just cant!

11. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

How can we be so good stopping the run and so crappy against the pass lol

12. Hayden Fox

Mental well-being is going to be an issue going forward. No question.

13. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

As frustrating as this loss was, it just feels like we outplayed Arizona, just like we outplayed the Jets, but all we have to show for it are losses. We got all kinds of pressure on Kolb, and Fitzgerald had to really work to get open. We shut down their running game, and we were ahead for pretty much the entire game just like we were against the Jets. I think all in all there were more positives than negatives, especially the play of Tannehill and Hartline. I don't think there is a dominant team in the AFC East, we just have to cut down on the mistakes, and we can play with anyone. On to next week.

14. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I thought for sure that this game would be the turning point of the Miami Dolphins and their losing ways, when Sean Smith got that impressive INT in the endzone, then next play Tannehill to Hartline for a 80 yard bomb, and then the two pt conversion. It was looking like Miami was meant to win that game. I mean those were 3 impact game changing plays and it still wasn't enough.

15. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

bro ive been sayin since game 2 this year that leggs needs to go and bring in T.O , PLAX OR STALLWORTH imo if we would have had 1 or 2 of these guys mentioned that we would have won atleast ever game that we have played except maybe the texans , we still need to let leggs go and activate mathews , go out and sign plax and maybe stallworth or T.O. ,we are only going to get better and we need More Weapons for Tanny to go to , imo its not going to hurt at all to make a couple of changes to the offence to get better because as a whole there going to get better each week , and we need to get Tanny more help out of the offence.

16. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Marcus Thigpen since the Houston game has been nothing special.

17. Hayden Fox

Some of the Fins FA's next year are playing really well. Hartline, Smith, Starks, Bush...all pretty good.

18. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Just you wait. They have a plan so great that their heads would explode if they even began to know what they were talking about.

19. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I want to really like Philbin, I loved that he got so upset at our wasted timeouts and I liked that he was talking and barking at the refs, don't think Sparano ever said a word to the refs. But its really a head scratcher that he keeps putting Nanee out there. On one of Bush's runs Nanee could have helped to spring him all the way but he was doing nothing, then he fumbles his one and only reception of the season and he wasn't even touched. Its really quite mind boggling that hes still on the team.

20. Hayden Fox

Joe seems stubborn on this one.

21. northnj dolfan

northnj dolfan Well-Known Member

Nice read as usual,
    Still can't believe they lost 2 weeks in a row in OT.
    Seems they are making some positive strides.
    Tannehill seems to be the real deal.
    Correct the bonehead playcalling, we might start winning some games.
    Go FINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

Naanee must have naked pictures of Joe and another man. Put Mathews in for crying out loud. He can't be any worse and might contribute SOMETHING! Give the rookie a chance to learn something and develop. Every time I see #19 on the field I cringe. How many more games is Hartline gonna get 250+ yards with #19 on the other side?

23. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

explain yourself. dont be lazy

24. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Good stuff hayden.

Wins are going to come. You just feel it. Dansby said turnovers were going to come in bunches now and he is telling us that the D is getting it together.

Our DB's are lost at LOS somtimes and WR's are outside uncovered until the last second. Sean Smith is playing for his contract. Did an excellent job on Fitzpatrick.

25. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think the game quite explained enough for me. Marshall getting left in dust by Roberts and no safety in position to help. sean Smith so out of position on a 4th down play that becomes TD to Roberts. The poor coverage on Roberts on the 25 yard gain which set them up for the Fitzgerald Td. On the 3rd and 18 once again giving up the play to Roberts which set up the short 4th down. The 3rd and 8 given up to Early Doucet. The secondary is not good.

26. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

Very impressive write up! Completely agree with all of it!

27. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

Good stuff Hayden.

28. HoustonPhinFan

HoustonPhinFan Phinfan Finheaven VIP Donator

Good summary. Couple of points I would add.

1) field goal game again an issue. Dan carpenter missing is a problem.
    2) Cardinals defense was fast and Bush was still running right and left rather than straight. When he got yards it was right through rather than trying to outrun the defense.

29. MP-Omnis

MP-Omnis Larry King, Antique Bandwagon

I wouldn't mind Nanee as a CB sink, but the fact is he doesn't even block. No hustle. Egnew got chewed out on Hard Knocks for not blocking while the play was still alive. Maybe Michael can explain that to Naynay when they're both sitting in t-shirts on the sidelines.

30. pags77

pags77 Scout Team

2 biggest reasons we lose a game we should have won.

Javorskie Lane not getting over to block Washington who causes the fumble that gives Kolb a chance to come back

Tannehill throwing an ill adviced floater in OT instead of taking the sack and punting away.

31. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

So, in one game we...
    ... hold the opponent to 28 yards rushing
    ... have a rookie QB in an away game throwing for 400+ yards (career high)
    ... have a 250+ yards receiver (franchise record) and a 100+ yards receiver (career high)
    ... have a DL with 4 1/2 sacks (career high)
    ... have a DB with 2 interceptions (career high)
    ... have a 13-point lead at halftime and a 7-point lead middle of the 4th quarter
    ... outgain the opponents 480 to 297 yards
    ... have a TOP advantage of 35:00 to 31:31

and yet we still manage to lose the game. What does it take to win a ****ing game.

32. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

both plays though were kind of tough.

Washington had a huge hole to run through at Tannehill and he got there so quick Lane had no chance to get over.

The OT INT wasn't a floater, he got hit while he was throwing it. Again, Arizona just sent too many people to block.

33. Hayden Fox

Evidently, we have to play the Raiders.

34. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I give the Arizona DC props for continuing to blitz the middle during their comeback, He exposed an area and it help seal the game for Arizona. Non the less there is awesome potential with Tannehill and some serious winning could be in the very near future for the Dolphins franchise, once all the peices are in place.

35. Hayden Fox

I was just thinking, how did Naanee fumble that ball. That was so bad.

36. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

Naanee couldn't believe he caught the ball and he freaked out.