Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 4

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* Ryan Tannehill: We heard all week how great the Arizona D is. Those people IMO are right. Yet, versus a fierce opponent in a hostile environment, Tannehill shouldered the load. He kept the team in the right plays and was not a confused by them as much as say...Michael Vick or Tom Brady. I was impressed with the poise that he showed in both success and adversity.
* Ryan Tannehill showed accuracy. He made some big time throws in tight coverage. Maybe for a week we can put to bed the talk of him losing the strike zone.
* Brian Hartline was money. Unreal day. He is a legit NFL receiver.
* Bess was spot on today as well. Clutch catches and seemed to be always open
* Props to Reggie Bush for getting himself ready to play and gutting things out
* The pass pro was good. It did leak in some big spots, but that is a big-time D and four sacks on 41 drop backs is not awful.
* Run D: 28 yards for Arizona. Dominating performance.
* Pass Rush: 8 sacks
* Cam Wake was a beast and feasted on a bad RT
* Sean Smith: 2 picks and did an admirable job vs one the best receivers in the game. Both were critical picks that ended with the offense getting points.
* 3rd down D was outstanding. Cards had a 25% success rate
* The team tackling Peterson who was about to score. By not letting him in, it set up Smith's big play. Great hustle and effort.
* Philbin's call to go for it on 4th down. I was calling for a kick. Joe was right. Plus, it was a money play call to get the ball in the end zone.
* Sherman's 2 point conversion call was a thing of beauty.
* Team finished the 2nd half well for the first time this year. Got the pick and moved the ball down for a FG.
* Sherman had a masterful game plan vs. a highly touted defense. The team and rookie QB were ready. Things were great except for one call...
* Philbin's decision to leave early seemed to pay off.

Negatives
* Lost turnover battle 4 to 2. It cannot happen. The Fins had chances to get fumbles and did not. As well as RT played, he must start to limit his turnovers. It will come in time, but in the short-term it is a killer.
* Legedu Naanee is brutal. He cannot be active the rest of the year. What a critical turnover.
* Inexcusable 2nd and 8 play call with 2:58 left. The team was running the ball well and about to force Arizona to use TO's. Unbelievably, they call a pass play in which they fumble. Give the ball to your best player and do what you do best. Even it ended with a punt, you would have forced Arizona to go 80 yards. Backbreaker of play call.
* Missed a handful of fumbles from Arizona kick and punt returners. Could have been game changers
* First time this year that the team had a hard time getting plays in. They had to burn TO's. Maybe it was the tough road environment or the exotic D they were facing.
* Daniel Thomas is playing scared.
* Too many DB's have their back turned with the ball in the air. I does happen, but too much to this group. They have no chance to play the ball so it leads to a catch or a PI
* Too many penalties on returns. It does not help that Thigpen runs opposite of the blocking scheme
* Thigpen needs to catch the ball in the air. He let two punts by my count bounce and costed the team close to 25 yards. You notice that Bess was out there late. This team must win the field position battle and him letting the ball hit is not acceptable.
* Carpenter: tough 50 yarder, but he is struggling nonetheless. He is hooking his makes and the 50 yard miss was a huge game changing play.
* Horse crap spot on a 3rd down run by Lane.

Overall Assessment
* Until the Fins get better with the Turnover Differential they are not going to win. They have to be at least plus 2 if they are to win. Negative 2...no chance.
* The effort and attention to detail was good after a heartbreaker last week vs. the Jets
* Those people that are arguing that a Plaxico Burress or Jabbar Gaffney could not be an upgrade over Anthony Armstrong or Legedu Naanee are out to lunch. Armstrong was a ghost and Naanee had one of the worst plays I have seen in the NFL.
* The team showed mental toughness after a ton of adversity...
* However, they need to find a way to close. It was an issue in the previous regime and still is today. Someone needs to step fwd and close. Who wants to be the stopper?
* At least the Jets were shutout today

Thanks, Hayden. I was going to start a thread and post some of my thoughts as a catharsis, but you saved me the time. Pretty much matched what I would have written. Lot of good, couple of bonehead screw-ups that proved costly, and, most aggravating of all, always seem to cost us.

Thanks Hayden - as far as I am concerned, need to cut Naanee and Armstrong as they are just creating carbon dioxide. There is no way one of the rookies that are inactive, or on the practice squad could contribute less...

Naanee better be doing **** on Special Teams that we cannot see or are looking for.

Ireland has to go get another vet to add to the mix. Gaffney might be a good fit. Nice route runner and hands.

He could practice for two weeks, hit the bye and by then be able to help. I am not looking for immediate returns, but Naanee is bad.

Also, Armstrong is non-existent. Not good.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Secondary huge dissapointment once again

Outside of Smith to be fair.

Is Naanee that fast that they are just able to send him on decoy routes as a way to free up Bess and Hartline? Not sure why he is still around but if he goes somewhere else he'll undoubtedly do better. Jets will be watching.

HF - great review of the game. I appreciate your insight and, as always, you are right on target. I hope they can stay focused and positive because this team can win and be very competitive.

Naanee better be doing **** on Special Teams that we cannot see or are looking for.

Ireland has to go get another vet to add to the mix. Gaffney might be a good fit. Nice route runner and hands.

He could practice for two weeks, hit the bye and by then be able to help. I am not looking for immediate returns, but Naanee is bad.

Also, Armstrong is non-existent. Not good.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Outside of Smith to be fair.

Smith did solid today with two interceptions but he still isnt a number one corner but over all he did good today.

Nannee cannot be active next week. He just cant!

How can we be so good stopping the run and so crappy against the pass lol

HF - great review of the game. I appreciate your insight and, as always, you are right on target. I hope they can stay focused and positive because this team can win and be very competitive.

Mental well-being is going to be an issue going forward. No question.

As frustrating as this loss was, it just feels like we outplayed Arizona, just like we outplayed the Jets, but all we have to show for it are losses. We got all kinds of pressure on Kolb, and Fitzgerald had to really work to get open. We shut down their running game, and we were ahead for pretty much the entire game just like we were against the Jets. I think all in all there were more positives than negatives, especially the play of Tannehill and Hartline. I don't think there is a dominant team in the AFC East, we just have to cut down on the mistakes, and we can play with anyone. On to next week.

I thought for sure that this game would be the turning point of the Miami Dolphins and their losing ways, when Sean Smith got that impressive INT in the endzone, then next play Tannehill to Hartline for a 80 yard bomb, and then the two pt conversion. It was looking like Miami was meant to win that game. I mean those were 3 impact game changing plays and it still wasn't enough.

Positives
* Ryan Tannehill: We heard all week how great the Arizona D is. Those people IMO are right. Yet, versus a fierce opponent in a hostile environment, Tannehill shouldered the load. He kept the team in the right plays and was not a confused by them as much as say...Michael Vick or Tom Brady. I was impressed with the poise that he showed in both success and adversity.
* Ryan Tannehill showed accuracy. He made some big time throws in tight coverage. Maybe for a week we can put to bed the talk of him losing the strike zone.
* Brian Hartline was money. Unreal day. He is a legit NFL receiver.
* Bess was spot on today as well. Clutch catches and seemed to be always open
* Props to Reggie Bush for getting himself ready to play and gutting things out
* The pass pro was good. It did leak in some big spots, but that is a big-time D and four sacks on 41 drop backs is not awful.
* Run D: 28 yards for Arizona. Dominating performance.
* Pass Rush: 8 sacks
* Cam Wake was a beast and feasted on a bad RT
* Sean Smith: 2 picks and did an admirable job vs one the best receivers in the game. Both were critical picks that ended with the offense getting points.
* 3rd down D was outstanding. Cards had a 25% success rate
* The team tackling Peterson who was about to score. By not letting him in, it set up Smith's big play. Great hustle and effort.
* Philbin's call to go for it on 4th down. I was calling for a kick. Joe was right. Plus, it was a money play call to get the ball in the end zone.
* Sherman's 2 point conversion call was a thing of beauty.
* Team finished the 2nd half well for the first time this year. Got the pick and moved the ball down for a FG.
* Sherman had a masterful game plan vs. a highly touted defense. The team and rookie QB were ready. Things were great except for one call...
* Philbin's decision to leave early seemed to pay off.

Negatives
* Lost turnover battle 4 to 2. It cannot happen. The Fins had chances to get fumbles and did not. As well as RT played, he must start to limit his turnovers. It will come in time, but in the short-term it is a killer.
* Legedu Naanee is brutal. He cannot be active the rest of the year. What a critical turnover.
* Inexcusable 2nd and 8 play call with 2:58 left. The team was running the ball well and about to force Arizona to use TO's. Unbelievably, they call a pass play in which they fumble. Give the ball to your best player and do what you do best. Even it ended with a punt, you would have forced Arizona to go 80 yards. Backbreaker of play call.
* Missed a handful of fumbles from Arizona kick and punt returners. Could have been game changers
* First time this year that the team had a hard time getting plays in. They had to burn TO's. Maybe it was the tough road environment or the exotic D they were facing.
* Daniel Thomas is playing scared.
* Too many DB's have their back turned with the ball in the air. I does happen, but too much to this group. They have no chance to play the ball so it leads to a catch or a PI
* Too many penalties on returns. It does not help that Thigpen runs opposite of the blocking scheme
* Thigpen needs to catch the ball in the air. He let two punts by my count bounce and costed the team close to 25 yards. You notice that Bess was out there late. This team must win the field position battle and him letting the ball hit is not acceptable.
* Carpenter: tough 50 yarder, but he is struggling nonetheless. He is hooking his makes and the 50 yard miss was a huge game changing play.
* Horse crap spot on a 3rd down run by Lane.

Overall Assessment
* Until the Fins get better with the Turnover Differential they are not going to win. They have to be at least plus 2 if they are to win. Negative 2...no chance.
* The effort and attention to detail was good after a heartbreaker last week vs. the Jets
* Those people that are arguing that a Plaxico Burress or Jabbar Gaffney could not be an upgrade over Anthony Armstrong or Legedu Naanee are out to lunch. Armstrong was a ghost and Naanee had one of the worst plays I have seen in the NFL.
* The team showed mental toughness after a ton of adversity...
* However, they need to find a way to close. It was an issue in the previous regime and still is today. Someone needs to step fwd and close. Who wants to be the stopper?
* At least the Jets were shutout today

bro ive been sayin since game 2 this year that leggs needs to go and bring in T.O , PLAX OR STALLWORTH imo if we would have had 1 or 2 of these guys mentioned that we would have won atleast ever game that we have played except maybe the texans , we still need to let leggs go and activate mathews , go out and sign plax and maybe stallworth or T.O. ,we are only going to get better and we need More Weapons for Tanny to go to , imo its not going to hurt at all to make a couple of changes to the offence to get better because as a whole there going to get better each week , and we need to get Tanny more help out of the offence.

Back
Top Bottom