Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 6

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* Ryan Tannehill. Gave the offense exactly what they needed. With no running game, the Fins had to move the ball throw the air vs. a stingy Rams pass D. He did just that. Made some nice throws. Pass protections was spotty yet he hung tough.
* RT no turnovers. Once again, we see progression here. Two straight weeks of no turnovers. Outstanding to see from the rookie.
* The offense picked and chose their spots. No turnovers for the offense.
* I liked the use of Bess in the slot early on.They got him off early and helped the flow of RT. That was the best way to attack the Rams with their tough corners.
* The use of motion also helped free some receivers of some sticky coverage
* Marlon Moore sighting. Nice TD and took advantage of Jenkins' blown coverage.
* Red Zone D: Two straight weeks, the D holds the opposition to FG's which turns out to be huge stops when the final score is tallied.
* Vernon had his best game as a pro. Two weeks in a row he was active. Major game changing play near the end or regulation. Big sack in the first half to alter the scoreboard negatively for St. Louis. Props too him for coming back off the hurt ankle.
* Sean Smith was good once again. The Fins played off, but he tackled well. He should have forced a fumble if not for Gene Steratore. He had a nice tackle at the goal line that forced a 4th down play. I like the way he is playing
* Props to Kevin Burnett. Playing on a bum ankle, he was active vs. the run and was outstanding with air-tight coverage.
* Cam Wake was outstanding
* Special Teams were huge today. Carpenter nailed his only FG attempt. The Fins had a huge momentum turn around when they got a fumble off of a KO return. Miami won the field position battle for the most part. Punt coverage units smothered the Rams punt returns. Just missed creating another turnover. Props to Dan Carpenter as well as he he is banging KO's through the end zone. The squib kick was well executed and a great call after the personal foul and helped lead to the games only TO.
*** This week, Joe Philbin was a difference maker. The stat line was ugly in some parts for Miami. Yet, Joe came through huge for his team in some big spots. Clutch spots. Ballsy spots. First him, freezing the kicker before the end of the half paid off for him. Obviously, those three points were huge in the end. However, how big was the fake punt call? Wow! I questioned the end of game management last week. Not this week. The fake punt was a perfect call. Without it, the Fins lose. Perfect timing and execution. Darren Rizzi deserves credit as well. The punt allowed the Fins to chew more clock and use a Rams timeout.
* Sherman's TD drive out of the half was a thing of beauty. Some of the best play calling in years at Sun Life
* The team showed mental toughness. They got out-physicaled. They got killed on most of the stat sheet. They got screwed by Steratore. Yet, the team found a way to get a win.

Negatives
* First time this year the Fins got out-physicaled on both sides of the ball in the same game. The Rams are a tough group, but the Fins got punched in the mouth today.
* The Fins could not run the ball today. The Rams have a nice front seven, but the regardless more is needed in the running game.
* The Fins were trying to kill the clock in the 4th. They made some hay, but ended up not getting a first down and had to punt. Short yardage was weak again.
* O-line had too many penalties and was leaky with pass protection. They must take care of RT better. Good Rams D-line, but other effective D-lines remain on the sked.
* I love Jake Long, but he is very ordinary right now. Hopefully, the bye will do him good. He is needed to be at or near the top of his game.
* Run stopping was not there. No 100 yard rusher, but the Rams gained too much pounding the rock
* Overall, poor tackling in too many spots.
* The quick slants were completed by Sam Bradford at will.
* The Fins had the Rams in the shadow of their own end zone a handful of times and let them off of the hook each time.
* The defense had some spots to get off the field and did not. One example, the Fins had just scored their TD in the second half. It was 3rd and 13, and the Rams get a first down on a check down to Steven Jackson. Needed to get off the field esp. in that spot with the momentum they possessed. Also, there was a 4th and 2 and the Rams snagged a 1st down with an easy toss. Just some spots to get the heck off the field and did not.
* Gene Steratore. I said early this week he was my most hated NFL personality. He and his crew gave us nothing. Arrogant ref. I get the tuck rule. It is the right call based on the rule. However, the Sean Smith FF and Trunsik recovery was a blown call. That had Miami points written all over it. However, Gene sees things differently and keeps the Rams in the game. Too many flags in this game for both teams.

Overall Assessment
* The Rams are solid football team. They have some good players and bring the wood. Sam Bradford will be a good QB in this league once he gets more weapons. Many posters, including myself, said that this was going to be tough game leading up to kickoff. Credit to the Rams for doing some good things. It was a slugfest. This is a quality win for Miami.
* For the life of me, I have not seen a worse example of clock management than that of Jeff Fisher today at the conclusion of today's game. After the Vernon sack, they had a timeout and 4th down. His answer is to wind the clock down and attempt an NFL record, 66 yard FG? WTF? He also was bizarre in how he let the Fins wind a ton of clock while the Fins were trying kill the game. Brutal coaching IMO. Just bizarre.
* It was great to be on the other end of momentum changing missed kick. Zeurlein's miss led to Miami's first TD. Great to see a game change on another team's miss for once.
* Zeurlein's three misses were huge.
* For once a late game FG went wide and the Fins won.
* The Fins were plus 1 in the turnover ratio. IF, IF, IF this team can get to plus 3 or 4, great things can happen. They are so close. They come in bunches.
* I am happy to see the team growing in terms of mental toughness. The team got pushed around a lot and some turnovers snatched from them. Yet, the team kept fighting. Great to see.
* Lots of work to do during the bye. I am interested at to what improvements can be made over the next two weeks.
* Great to get a win as Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas are put in the Dolphins' Ring of Honor.
* The bye week will be much more enjoyable coming off a win...enjoy!

I enjoy your post game reports each and every week.Today wasen't pretty but another big win.
Very impressed with Tannehill.This team is showing alot of heart.
Happy with Philbin too.

Go Fins!!!!!!!!!!!!

" I am happy to see the team growing in terms of mental toughness. The team got pushed around a lot and some turnovers snatched from them. Yet, the team kept fighting. Great to see. "

Very refreshing to see - and I'm sure having a capable QB helps them hang in there.

Sean Smith cannot stop those quick curl routes. they must of thrown at least 5 of those his way, other than that he played well for the most part. i agree with the rest of the assessment though as well.

Hayden, I wouldnt exactly say they pushed us around all day. If you looked closely at the St Louis sideline in the 4th qtr, particularly when Chris Long was on camera, he was sweating his ass off and huffin and puffin and was confused as to how Tannehill was doing this to them.

Let me add, Philbin adjusted at halftime to get bush in the passing game via the screen where Tannehill was superb. We left points off the board but getting screwed by the refs and the D playing bend dont break works great for these games. Our pass rush is coming alive with Vernon now showing up. They statistically beat us up, as you said Hayden, the D came up big once again.

This game reminded me of last week when Cincy started out 6-0 where we stopped them from scoring TD's. A little slower this go around but it seams to me we are playing bland d to start to read what they are doing and then reset by third or fourth possession.

Hayden, I wouldnt exactly say they pushed us around all day. If you looked closely at the St Louis sideline in the 4th qtr, particularly when Chris Long was on camera, he was sweating his ass off and huffin and puffin and was confused as to how Tannehill was doing this to them.

Let me add, Philbin adjusted at halftime to get bush in the passing game via the screen where Tannehill was superb. We left points off the board but getting screwed by the refs and the D playing bend dont break works great for these games. Our pass rush is coming alive with Vernon now showing up. They statistically beat us up, as you said Hayden, the D came up big once again.

This game reminded me of last week when Cincy started out 6-0 where we stopped them from scoring TD's. A little slower this go around but it seams to me we are playing bland d to start to read what they are doing and then reset by third or fourth possession.

When you gain 19 yards rushing, you got pushed around. Must improve starting in two weeks.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Jeff fisher sux , deal with it

ok...

I just watched the Halftime Show on NBC. No Fins' highlights. Brutal.

They just showed all the rookie QB's! RT sighting! Mentioned the win via B. Costas.

They just showed all the rookie QB's! RT sighting! Mentioned the win via B. Costas.

Yeah, but H. Ward mentioned Wilson as the QB who might enjoy the most immediate success because of his team (which is fair) and Luck and RG3 as the guys who will be elite eventually. No love for Tannehill.

Yeah, but H. Ward mentioned Wilson as the QB who might enjoy the most immediate success because of his team (which is fair) and Luck and RG3 as the guys who will be elite eventually. No love for Tannehill.

Hines Ward is like that kid who gets one line in the class play because nobody knows what else to do with him. Bob Costas spins it over to him and his hard hitting analysis is "Wilson has a good team around him but Luck and Griffin will be better."

Thank you for that stunning, in-depth, and revelatory analysis, Hines. Clearly, NBC does not pay you enough for your brilliant oratory and peerless analysis.

I just watched the Halftime Show on NBC. No Fins' highlights. Brutal.

NFL.com has all the highlights you'd care for

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Not sure about you but I couldn't give less of a damn what Hines Ward has to say about anything

Back
Top Bottom