Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Eight | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Eight

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
I wanted to apologize to all my buddies and Fin Fans here. I was at the game yesterday and was SO looking forward to discussing the game throughout the day. At about 10am, my phone started to malfunction. I have to go to Verizon today and get a new one...great timing, eh. Anyways, these were my observations from yesterday and after looking at the box score.

Positives

* 3rd down conversions on offense. 8 of 17 is an improved number from previous games.
* Line Play. It was turned out to be the right decision to start Bryant McKinnie. The pass protection was good until the game got away from the team late in the game. The run game was even better. The team gashed the Patriots defense for 156 yards for 5 yards a pop.
* Lamar Miller. Showed great explosiveness. The Patriots consistently lost contain on the outside because they did not respect his speed.
* Charles Clay was consistently open and the Pats did not have much of answer for him.
* Smoke screen to Mike Wallace in the 4th on 3rd and very long.
* Brandon Gibson getting open for a TD and just in general.
* Bryant McKinnie. On a short week, he came in with a few practices and dominated Chandler Jones.
* Mike Pouncey is as athletic as they come for a Center. Had a great game.
* The defensive effort vs. Tom Brady. Held Brady to 116 yards, 1 TD and 1 Int. They sacked him 3 times. Held the Pats offense to 252 total yards.
* 3rd down defense. Held New England to 2 of 10 on the money down.
* Jared Odrick whipped Logan Mankins all game. Got great penetration in the run game and had two sacks.
* Dion Jordan on Rob Gronkowski. Gronk had NO WHERE to run against him.
* Dimitri Patterson. Had nice anticipation on his interception. He also had nice coverage through the game. He played through some tough calls.
* While it did not count as a sack because of a penalty, Jimmy Wilson lit up Tom Brady.

Negatives
* 2nd Half Collapse. The team showed terrible mental toughness. Mike Wallace on a 2nd down play in the Red Zone drops a pass that would have been a first down from inside the five...next play sack, pushing the FG further back...then a missed FG. Miami wilts like a flower in the dessert.
* The block field goal. From being there in person, there was a Chinese Fire Drill happening on the sideline as the special teams rushed out on to the field. A timeout should have been taken. Losing the TO would have been a killer, but the confusion was over the top. Everything was rushed.
* Lost Turnover Differential 3 to 1. It was the difference in the game.
* Ryan Tannehill getting smoked on a CB blitz and fumbling while the Pats already had momentum. Not sure if that was on the QB or it was a protection design at this point. Bottom line, it was a huge turnover.
* The sacks at the end of the game were on RT. He held the ball trying to find something deep.
* RT's pick down the right sideline. It was an obvious Cover 2. RT starred down the sideline and forced it to Mike Wallace. Bad throw and bad mechanics. The throw had no chance.
* Tannehill's completion percentage was around 50%. Not good and is declining each week.
* Mike Wallace drops.
* Rush defense. 152 yards.
* A third down scramble by Tom Brady where he looked like he was running in slow motion yet picked up a 3rd down.
* Cam Wake is totally ineffective. Going against a bad back up, he got nothing going.
* The Patriots should not complain about ref calls for the next decade. All I heard was about how they got screwed vs. the Jets on the missed FG attempt. I am not convinced that O.V. batted the ball intentionally. Only the Patriots can get rocked for a sack and pick up 10 yards and 1st down. Also, Jimmy Wilson did not interfere with Gronk. He was going for the ball and barely made contact anyways. Rishard Matthews was in. Not sure why it was not challenged, but the call should have been made on the field. Also, a Dimitri Patterson holding call was made as Tom Brady was out of the pocket and was not even looking to Patterson's side.
* Marcus Thigpen made premature fair catch calls.
* Brandon Gibson injury. The offense slow thereafter.
* With the running game working, Mike Sherman went away from the run...again.
* Coaching. Joe Philbin's team collapsed after a great first half. He did not manage the game well or have a sense of urgency to destroy an overrated opponent in the 2nd half.

Overall Assessment
* I went to my first game in person in many years. I can say this: fans do not want to go until the stadium gives the at home feel for the game. The stadium was late with replays, they sometimes gave one look. they showed the Pats replays multiple times, but Fins close calls maybe once. The Matthews ball was never shown again. It makes you want to stay home. Mix in a bad team with what I experienced yesterday, you wonder why Sun Life is half filled.
* This Dolphins team is mentally weak. The coach is not tough. The QB is not mentally strong. The team in general is drowned when any momentum tide its it. It is the biggest weakness on the team. A Chad Pennington led team routs that Pats team yesterday. A team reflects their HC and Joe Philbin needs to feel the heat today.
* This is the worst Patriots team since the 2000 season. I totally overrated them coming into this week. My bad. They were low lying fruit to pick and the Fins failed to get it. So disappointing.
* Ryan Tannehill is regressing. He needs to go back to managing the game and not turning the ball over. The last two weeks his turnovers have led to loses. His sacks he is taking on 3rd down are killing this team. He needs to know the time and score.
* I wonder how angry the line is that RT took a ton of sacks at the end of the game. The line played well yesterday yet the stats are ugly again.
* With that said, he needs to stay in as QB. He needs to improve and find his way. It is frustrating in so many ways, but RT must start to help his team by improving his play.
* The Brandon Gibson injury is a tough loss. He was Miami's best target and demonstrated to be an excellent pick up. More will be expected of Clay and Hartline. Matthews will help. Mike Wallace needs to be a man and step up. What a major disappointment he has been.
* Starting Bryant McKinnie was the right move. I thought he should sit, but I was dead wrong. He was excellent in pass pro esp. for not having many practices under his belt. BTW, he is a bid dude.
* Two straight weeks and the team has shown an improved run game. Running the ball is one of the best ways to prop up pass protection as well. The running game always protects a QB.
* Two pretty good defensive performances the last two weeks...progress?
* For the indefinite future, Rob Gronkowski will never be a major factor against the Dolphins. Folks, it was amazing watching Dion Jordan run with him...dare I say toy with him. Gronk looked like he was lumbering versus the graceful Jordan. Nonsensical that Jordan was not on him 24/7.
* The team has NO difference makers. Who is the guy that will step up when momentum is charging in the team's face and make a play to silence the crowd and garner momentum back for his team? It is not on the roster.
* Caleb Sturgis has hit the rookie wall. He has started to miss and his KO's are now being returned. He had a great start to the year, but it is the concern I had at the start of the year...I like a veteran kicker. He should stay...no question, but he is not Mr. Automatic that people made him to be.
* Patriots fans are spoiled brats. They were so whiny in the first half. The organization has been so blessed for more than a decade. With a great coach, QB, some character players, and historic referee calls that have gone their way, they have had a great run. Yet, these fans think they are entitled to the Super Bowl every year. I would take a sliver of what they have had for my team. I wish nothing, but to ruin their year and build a team to dominate them.
* The season comes down to Thursday night against the Bengals. Win...4-4 and chance the second half of the year. Lose, 3-5 and the season is lost and major changes could be argued. Two roads diverged in major different directions.

I am sorry but today to me the season is already over IMO. Wasn't this team created solely on the purpose of beating the patriots? I mean thats what I got from our first round pick this year who hasn't played a full football game yet. I don't like being down on the team but after that bye week when most coaches fix their issues and our staff fails to do so against buffalo bills...........at home and we can't even get a win. Now I honestly didn't give us a chance yesterday but after the first half I seriously started to believe in the team again. But just like I am used I am crushed and let down from a team who backs out of a game every time it gets to tense. IMO I feel the coaching staff is just WAY to weak and now the weakness is seeping through and latching it self to RT and is mentality. If the kid continues to worsen in "Clutch time" I feel it is time to look for a new QB. If you tell me that this team needs "Time" to win I am going to tell you that it is complete bull****! Bengals, Chiefs, 49ers, Lions, Browns, Pats, Saints, Colts, Broncos (Tebow era) have all had to make changes with their personal and players and still "WIN NOW" and continue on to the playoffs. I am tired of the excuses about Sherman, Oline, Running game, Wallace dropping passes, ect. If you can't beat division rivals there is no sense of you being a coach anywhere. Find some one that can win because this team has some talent and is playing NO WHERE near their caliber.

Hayden my man good write up! Sorry you went to the game.

I too was there in person...I agree w your assessment 100%. My two cents, Tannehill looked like garbage. On the strip sack he was looking right for the deep ball to wallace vs. One on one coverage...it was a well timed blitz on NE...however, it makes me wonder if he's not seeing things progress at the line of scrimmage. ..move the rb over for help on the blitzer..I dunno. What concerns me the most is his deep ball...it's as if the damn thing stays up there too long... his awareness in the pocket is another concern...as soon as it begins to collapse, I'm not seeing that magic to avoid the pressure to get off a clean throw..I'm not giving up on him just yet, he needs to grow and learn from his mistakes..but criticism is justified w all the weapons we got him in the off season...on the flip side, a pass could be warrented based on crappy o line play the first 7 games, Wallace's inability to catch the ball and get open and all around terrible play...not even worth the big money contract. ..in my opinion, he's not a number one guy and a mistake..I don't forsee him being in Miami much longer..another miss..when I think of a number one, I think of guys like fitz, megatron, hell...even a kid like josh Gordon. .big body receiver who can get open and win battles and come down with the ball..we don't have that in mike wallace...very disappointed. The o line looked better...it was nice to see the running game working. The officiating made me want to choke the douche that I was sitting next to, but we showed nothing to prove to me otherwise we would win that game in the second half...sturgis missed fg was into the wind..it was deceivingly windy at the stadium. .could be why some kick offs and punts looked short. Finally, i wont comment on the D much...but i did notice dion did a nice job on gronk..i was nervous at times he would draw a PI call...but nice job..also, odrick had a HELL of a game..holds the edge very well vs. Run and he got a good pressure on brady...i agree w the lack of replays...damn place was too worried about blasting that damn horn and same stupid song...and that catch on 3rd down was too critical to not challenge..coaching staff seriously worries me...maybe philbin and co. Aren't the guys. I'm done w my rant..

I'm as frustrated as all of you guys...being a dolphins fan is not easy and I pray for the decade of dominance instead of the mediocrity we've had to put up w for so long...that being said, I still love the dolphins and will be in attendance dec 1 in the meadowlands and dec 22 at orchard park...hopefully we can turn this around but keep expectations realistic. ..playoffs?! Playoffs?! NOT gonna happen this year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Great write up - one of your best considering how painful this is. Hold NE to 110 yds passing or whatever it was and lose by 10 points? Really? As w buffalo, we beat ourselves. As you say, the sign of a mentally weak team - which starts w the HC. My belief in philbin is fading... Also, I like Matt Moore but starting him will only accelerate Philbin's fate. Moore shouldn't play unless RT gets hurt.

* The sacks at the end of the game were on RT. He held the ball trying to find something deep.
* RT's pick down the right sideline. It was an obvious Cover 2. RT starred down the sideline and forced it to Mike Wallace. Bad throw and bad mechanics. The throw had no chance.
* Tannehill's completion percentage was around 50%. Not good and is declining each week.
* Ryan Tannehill is regressing. He needs to go back to managing the game and not turning the ball over. The last two weeks his turnovers have led to loses. His sacks he is taking on 3rd down are killing this team. He needs to know the time and score.
* I wonder how angry the line is that RT took a ton of sacks at the end of the game. The line played well yesterday yet the stats are ugly again.
* With that said, he needs to stay in as QB. He needs to improve and find his way. It is frustrating in so many ways, but RT must start to help his team by improving his play.

IMO, just about all of Tannehill's problems come down to a lack of experience at the position. I don't think there are any short term fixes to that issue. Tannehill will show flashes of brilliance from time to time, but we're also going to have to endure quite a bit of poor play from him at least for a couple or three years. And even then, there are no guarantees he develops the instincts needed to be a very good quarterback. RT was a crapshoot when we picked him and he's still a crapshoot.

Great write up. I am wondering why they do not take the kid gloves off Dion Jordan and let him play more? He was the 3rd pick in the draft for god sake. Also this coaching staff has to go. I do not think they know how to use their players to the best of their ability. When Marshall was here he did not do great and now he plays great for the Bears. Same goes for Reggie Bush. When Wallace was with the Steelers he was the man and now look at him. I think so much falls on the coaching staff. Time for some changes and I would not wait until the end of the year. Jon Gruden anyone?

Watching Jordan in person run with Gronk was amazing. It was almost easy for Jordan. Impressive athlete.

Good write up. I saw everything you mentioned however it must have been even worse witnessing it live. I do think however our season was gone last week when we lost against the Bills. This team is not mentally capable of digging themselves out of the hole they put themselves into, especially against a Cincy team that put up 45 against the Jets AND being a primtime game.

Good write up. I saw everything you mentioned however it must have been even worse witnessing it live. I do think however our season was gone last week when we lost against the Bills. This team is not mentally capable of digging themselves out of the hole they put themselves into, especially against a Cincy team that put up 45 against the Jets AND being a primtime game.

The turning point IMO was that Wallace drop inside the five. If they punch it in there it is 24 to 3 and the game is over. Brady COULD NOT THROW and he would have had to go to the air.

Some will say it was a bad throw, and Wallace had to contort his body, however the ball hit Wallace in the hands. Any ball that hits a reciever in the hands should be caught. The same goes for Clay's drop down the sideline.
The turning point IMO was that Wallace drop inside the five. If they punch it in there it is 24 to 3 and the game is over. Brady COULD NOT THROW and he would have had to go to the air.

1) Another hidden minor positive was that Egnew made a good catch. I can't remember him being thrown the ball in a game. He is so damn big and has good hands, it would be good to get him more involved (although Clay continues to do well).
2) Dimitri Patterson is much a much better player than I realized. The skill in making that interception was of a very high level. Provided that he can stay healthy, he can be a big contributor. It was interesting that as soon as Dimitri left the field, Carroll was thrown in and beaten for a touchdown.
3) Probably Lamar Miller's best game in the NFL.

Some will say it was a bad throw, and Wallace had to contort his body, however the ball hit Wallace in the hands. Any ball that hits a reciever in the hands should be caught. The same goes for Clay's drop down the sideline.

I am waiting for Wallace to make the EXTRA ordinary play to help the team.

As soon as that happened i told my wife its over, she looked at me like im crazy...shes a new fan, she hasnt been through what we all have

As soon as that happened i told my wife its over, she looked at me like im crazy...shes a new fan, she hasnt been through what we all have

I REALLY believe if they score a TD on that drive a personal dream come true would have been achieved....Fins win in a BLOW OUT at Foxboro. They had no chance to come back and do not forget the team forced a 3 and out of New England out of the half and were on a strong drive.

Brady could not have launched the team back into the game the way he was playing. So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom