Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Eight | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Eight

*Two straight weeks and the team has shown an improved run game. Running the ball is one of the best ways to prop up pass protection as well. The running game always protects a QB.

As always, great feedback on the game, thanks!

I couldnt agree more with the above statement regarding the run game. The minute we stopped running, the game was lost. It totally changed the Pats defensive scheme. We lined up in the shotgun for most of the second half........which takes the guessing out of our play calling. All the Pats had to do was blitz anytime we were in the shotgun. Sure enough, we wouldnt pick up the blitz and bad things start to happen. Sherman's play calling is very Dan Henning'esque.

Im convinvced that with a different OC, we would have a better record. I feel like every play is from the shotgun with 3-4 wideouts. He hasnt designed plays that mask our poor o-line play. No bubble screens, no roll outs, nothing. We keep running the same type of offense, never adapting to our strengths and weaknesses.

There were a lot of things that went wrong in the game. Bad calls from the refs that resulted in points, turnovers, missed field goals, etc. But I think all of these things could have been overcome with better play calling.

Thoughts??

This is the first game I missed this season (I was traveling during the game) but from what I am hearing, it sounds like different day, same movie. Considering New England was playing without their three best defensive players (Willfork, Mayo, Talib), Brady was playing hurt, and even though Amendola was cleared to play, he was pretty much a non-factor, we still only managed to score 17 points and lose by double-digits. We have now lost seven straight to New England and have not beat them since 2009. The Jets -- with a rookie QB-- beat them last week, and even the Bills were able to at least beat them once two years ago. Philbin is now 2-6 in the division.

If we do not win Thursday, the season is all but officially over. Five straight losses and still a lot of tough games left ( Jets twice, NE, SD, Car, at Pit, at Buf) As a matter of fact, if the stadium is half-full during a prime time game, I would not be shocked if Phibin is canned if we lose badly and Coyle is made intern coach the rest of the year, since it is a Thursday game. The bottom line is the status quo is just not working and Philbin needs to go. I have seen enough games to know this guy is not head coaching material. Also, once the season ends, despite his extension, Ross needs to get over his man-crush with Ireland and can him too. Yes, I know, another regime change, which seems like this happens every two or three years, but you got to do what you got to do. Enough is enough already.

The in-person view of Jordan on Gronkowski is awfully interesting IMO, because the league needs to evolve toward players who can cover tight ends one-on-one like that, while still being able to hold their own against the tight end in the run game, and it would be nice to think the Dolphins have one before everyone else does.

Some will say it was a bad throw, and Wallace had to contort his body, however the ball hit Wallace in the hands. Any ball that hits a reciever in the hands should be caught. The same goes for Clay's drop down the sideline.

Not going to agree there any throw that results in a wr diving backward twisting in mid air against his momentum is not a drop on the wr. You can blame the Wallace on the in route but that play was spectacular if caught but not a drop on Wallace.

Not going to agree there any throw that results in a wr diving backward twisting in mid air against his momentum is not a drop on the wr. You can blame the Wallace on the in route but that play was spectacular if caught but not a drop on Wallace.

But isnt that one of Wallace's problems? Route running?

from the replay it looks like the route was designed to go toward the sidelines which where he was headed but the side he chose to turn and look for the ball was the wrong side for that route. If he turns to the correct side of that pass pattern that ball is on the money

It was an option, with the safety breaking in the obvious was turning out and Wallace didn't get it.

Tannehill has regressed over the last few weeks, though he did some progression earlier in the year from last season. I'm trying to convince myself that this is part of his maturation process as a QB. I dont think benching him for Moore is a good idea at all (like some fans seem to think). You have to ride it out with him and see how it goes. He deserves a chance to still show what he's got despite the 4 straight losses. And though his play has gotten worse each week over the last several, there are still things I like. There are others on this team contributing to the losses too so I'm not pinning it all on him. But ultimately he HAS to play better. The sacks aren't good but they aren't always on him. The turnovers are far more concerning to me.

Love this write up each week, as always.

Wallace is a big part of the problem. They are trying to walk on egg shells around him and feed him the ball but the dude doesn't do anything to help himself or his QB. It's the little things that will make a difference like coming back to the ball. On the INT I thought he could have at least jumped up and batted the ball away but he just let them play with it while he continued down the sideline. No way should McCourty have had the time to jump up and bat the ball back without being firmly planted for his efforts! I think we'll finally see Matthews get his chance and while he may not be able to fully replace Gibson I think he will be more productive than Wallace. As much as Wallace takes exception to people calling him a one trick pony that's really all he's proven to be thus far and even that has been non existent. Tannehill has to improve his pocket awareness 1st and foremost. Pull the ball down, protect it and run every now and then. Sherman needs to get better at his play calling and stop falling in love with passing the ball. Coyle needs to stop being out coached. This was suppose to be a top 10 defense. I see some great individual efforts but as a unit they are being outcoached!

But isnt that one of Wallace's problems? Route running?

from the replay it looks like the route was designed to go toward the sidelines which where he was headed but the side he chose to turn and look for the ball was the wrong side for that route. If he turns to the correct side of that pass pattern that ball is on the money

That's all assumption we don't know the route you could be right or RT could have thrown it high and behind like he did to Gibson when he got hurt. Rt missed Wallace high and behind a lot which tells me he hasn't adjusted to Wallace speed yet and yes there is a huge difference in Wallace speed and Gibson or Hartline.

Watching Jordan in person run with Gronk was amazing. It was almost easy for Jordan. Impressive athlete.

Before the Saints game, I posted that I wanted to see Jordan covering Graham, and many thought I was nuts. Good to see my sanity restored. :)

Before the Saints game, I posted that I wanted to see Jordan covering Graham, and many thought I was nuts. Good to see my sanity restored. :)

Coyle called a good game yesterday, but the lack of utilizing the talent on the team is crazy. Lamar Miller's running style, smoke screens and throwing deep to Wallace, Thigpen in the backfield, using Jordan and RT's play action ability are areas the team could use more and just do not.

Coyle called a good game yesterday, but the lack of utilizing the talent on the team is crazy. Lamar Miller's running style, smoke screens and throwing deep to Wallace, Thigpen in the backfield, using Jordan and RT's play action ability are areas the team could use more and just do not.

it really is astounding that they seemingly refuse to play to their players strengths. there has got to be some kind of explanation for this type of thing. maybe the guys running the show really cant see it.

Back
Top Bottom