Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Five | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week Five

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
* The team won the turnover differential 2-0. After coughing up the ball a ton on Monday, the team was much more careful with the ball and got ten points off of two Ravens turnovers.
* I am very pleased to see Ryan Tannehill bounce back from last week's tough outing versus the Saints. Tannehill was 21-40, 307 yards, 1 TD and no turnovers. He was under heavy pressure from a rough defense, yet he hung tough. On a 4th down play near the end of the game, RT broke out of the pocket and whirled one deep against his body to Brandon Gibson to give the team a chance to tie the game. A miraculous play. It was nice to see him hit Mike Wallace deep for chunk play. All in all, I was very happy to see him come back strong from the 4 turnover night against the Saints. Very positive.
* The offense finished the 1st Half successfully with a TD. It was a great back-shoulder throw to Charles Clay for a TD.
* Run Defense. While the yardage total was high for the Ravens, they had to get it on 40 committed carries. Baltimore had only 3.3 per carry.
* Paul Soliai was dominent today. He caused a Ray Rice fumble and four solo tackles.
* Koa Misi was awesome today. One of his best games as a pro. 8 TOT's, 7 Solo's, 3 for a loss and a sack and on QB hit.
* Props to Jared Odrick for his game today. 6 TOT, 5 Solo and 1 PD. Very active today.
* Dion Jordan put good pressure on Joe Flacco. He finally got to him and hit his arm that created a dead quail that was returned for a TD.
* Olivier Vernon had one of his better games. He had a sack, 3 Tackles, 2 TFL and 2 QB hits
* Reshad Jones being in position to return the pick into six.
* Nolan Carroll showed toughness coming back into the game after a painful injury.
* Brent Grimes had great coverage today even though Torry Smith went over 100 yards. It was Joe Flacco's uncanny accuracy that made the completions possible.
* Brandon Fields helped move field position on a day where offense was hard to come by.
* The team came back from ten points to tie the game in the 4th. They were left for dead by many yet made some big plays to get back into the game. Showed some character.

Negatives
* Pass Protection. It was abysmal today. They gave up 6 sacks. With an outstanding group of pass rushers coming to Sun Life Stadium, the pass pro needed to be at its best and it might have performed at its worst. Both tackles were abused. Tyson Clabo gave up a huge sack at the end of the game getting pushed back into the QB while pushing the offense back as the clock continued to wind. Jonathan Martin was weak and was beaten repeatedly. John Jerry was whipped inside. Mike Pouncey was not much of a factor as he was out-physicaled by Haloti Ngata. Plus, he fired a snap over the head of RT that lost yardage. Even Richie Incognito lost track of a stunt along with Daniel Thomas and gave up a sack.
* The line's ability to run block was deplorable. 22 yards on 11 carries. No commitment, but little results to warrant continued looks.
* Short yardage situations. Miami had a chance to pick up a 1st down on their initial series. With inches to get, Miami was unable to move the sticks. To make matters worse, they used a timeout to talk things over and still did not get the necessary yardage.
* Two straight weeks with inches to get and no QB sneak.
* Mike Wallace struggled today. Him going over 100 yards does little for me. First, Wallace had multiple drops. He had a crucial drop on 3rd down after the turnover. As a highly paid, #1 guy, he needs to catch the ball better. Also, I am not convinced that he is always where the play calls for him to be. I question he understands his spacial awareness such as not knowing where the sideline was that could have kept a drive alive. Finally, Mike Wallace needs to stop belly aching for PI's. Make the plays.
* Reliable Brian Hartline had a drop on 3rd down that would have gone for a 1st down and more to keep a scoring drive alive. Instead, the team had to punt.
* A terrible start to the day for the defense as the Ravens go the field and cash in 3 points.
* Reshad Jones gave up another explosive play to a TE.
* Once again, the Dolphins were awful coming out of the half. This week it was the defense that gave up a long drive that ended in a TD.
* The drive was aided by two awful PI's calls on Carroll and Grimes. The Carroll penalty kept a drive alive on a 3rd down and the Grimes infraction set up an easy score. Terrible calls that gave a ton of momentum to Baltimore.
* Losing Dannell Ellerbe was a blow to overall defense.
* Caleb Sturgis shanking a kick off out of bounds after the team tied the game.
* The kick coverage units were leaky. They gave up some yards on a day yards where hard to come by.
* Very questionable clock management at the end of the game. Joe Philbin should have used timeouts prior to the 2 minute warning. The lost some valuable time when it was obvious the Ravens were going to go ahead by 3. Plus, the offense had to burn a timeout early in the half because the receivers were confused where to go.
* No offensive balance. 11 rushes to 40 throws. Part of it is having no ability to run the ball. However, 4 to 1 pass to run ratio is out of whack.
* The offense was 3 of 16 on 3rd down.

Overall Assessments
* Personnel changes are needed on the offensive line. Tyson Clabo has to go to the bench in favor of Nate Garner. If Danny Watkins can bring something to RG, he needs to be looked at. Jeff Ireland has to comb the league for available free agents and look at trades. If Bryant McKinnie is released, Miami must jump. Max Starks should be looked at. One of the best things Miami has going for it is the maturation of Ryan Tannehill. He is being sacked and hit at an alarming rate, he will not make it through the next month with the line playing so bad. The team needs to shake things up and not think that using the same personnel will garner better results.
* What is frustrating is when the pass protection does its job, Ryan Tannehill and the receivers can make a ton of plays. An entire new universe can open up for the team, IF the team can pass protect in just an average to slightly above average fashion.
* Seeing RT bounce back after the Saints game was the best and most important part of this week's game.
* I am not disappointed at all in Caleb Sturgis for missing the 57 yard field goal. The team had him in range and went backwards thanks to Clabo getting rocked by Dumerville.
* The bye week is huge and comes at a great time. It will allow a few weeks to allow some injured players to get healthy. Also, the team will have a chance to work on the issues that plague it. Areas like pass protection, run blocking and defending TE's all can be worked on. It is up to the coaching staff to figure out solutions and the players to execute those solutions.
* It is time to think about the practice week schedule. This week's was silly IMO. Monday: game and get back late to South Florida. Tuesday: players check in and are probably tired from the late night. Wednesday: Practice in which players are still gimpy. Thursday: OFF...which is the freshest the players will be in the week coming of the Monday night game, but they are not practicing. Friday: Practice, but lighter because it is Friday. Time to go back to a regular schedule that all the other teams use in the league. Don't "reinvent the wheel". I did not like this week's sked at all.
* I cannot help, but think a player like Vonta Leach would have helped the last two weeks with these short yardage failures.
* There was not enough respect for the Ravens on this site coming into this game. They have a championship pedigree. Joe Flacco is an elite QB that is rarely flustered and has great accuracy. He played the game today with all of three receivers. The defense will be as good as last year's and have outstanding pass rushers. Terrell Suggs could be the Defensive Player of the Year. John Harbaugh publically called out his team and got results. Ozzie Newsome made a great trade to get Eugene Monroe and it will pay dividends later in the year. The Ravens will be heard from again later in the year. Mark it down. Miami lost, albeit a winnable game, to a very good team.
* Baltimore's commitment to the run was impressive...40 attempts.
* All of us would have signed off on 3-2 going into the bye last spring when the schedule came out. What is tough is losing two in a row heading into the bye. The team has two crucial division games coming out of the bye. Win vs. Buffalo and everything the team wants to accomplish is still in front of them. With a win vs. the Bills, Miami will have a chance to go to Foxboro to tie the Patriots in the loss column at the very least.
* Lots of season left, folks. Because of the three opening wins, Miami is in a position to accomplish everything it wants to. Look to improve over the next two weeks...vitally important. Essential.

The offense needs to be rebuilt. Including bringing FA
Someone mentioned Thigpen and miller on the field at the same time . That should have happened
Mathews should see the ball more
We miss a true blocking TE more than anyone would admit
We have a scat back and a ST player playing Rb help needed

Thank you for the write up. The bye is much needed before things spin outta control. Buffalo becomes a must win, and much needed game to get back to fundamentals. This o-line must improve because with time Tannehill can make things happen.

Solid write-up. Can't wait to play after our bye. Hopefully Wake, Ellerbee, Carrol, and Patterson can get healthy.

BTW, I would not have played Cam Wake today. Let him rest up. Hope he did not have a set back.

With the offensive line's deficiencies acknowledged, I think you still have to say something about Ryan Tannehill's "statuesque" inability to move in response to the pressure.

That's a major issue, and although it's true Tannehill bounced back from his game in New Orleans overall, his inability to extend plays with movement was just as bad if not worse IMO.

Good post. I agree something must be down about the Oline.
Clabo is terrible.
I'm in Atlanta and as much as they need Oline help, they are very happy they let Clabo go.
They knew he was done.

With the offensive line's deficiencies acknowledged, I think you still have to say something about Ryan Tannehill's "statuesque" inability to move in response to the pressure.

That's a major issue, and although it's true Tannehill bounced back from his game in New Orleans overall, his inability to extend plays with movement was just as bad if not worse IMO.

Yeah, he sucked extending the 4th and 10 play that he completed to Gibson.

One play a game makes?

We are going to go nowhere if you think these sacks are on him holding the ball too long. Get a stop watch and let me know what the results are.

We are going to go nowhere if you think these sacks are on him holding the ball too long. Get a stop watch and let me know what the results are.
The most appropriate comparison would be between Tannehill and the average quarterback in terms of how long it takes them to start moving in response to pressure.

Tannehill might well be pressured more than the average quarterback, but I strongly suspect it takes him a whole lot longer to move in response to it, if he does at all, as well.

Watching the Denver Dallas game, Romo and Manning are having a long time to scan the field and make reads.

After watching this game and seeing the Dolphins game it makes it quite embarrassing that the Dolphins are fielding that horrid OLine.

Back
Top Bottom