Hayden Fox's Mock Draft Challenge | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Mock Draft Challenge

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Post your mock draft. You get a point for getting a RD1 selection right and 2 points if you match the player with the team. Have some fun and make some notes as you see fit.

1. LA QB Goff
2. Phi QB Wentz
3. SD S Ramsey
4. Dal RB Elliot
5. Jax DE Bosa
6. Balt OT Tunsil
7. SF OT Stanley
8. Cle DE Buckner
9. TB DE Lawson
10. NYG LB Floyd
11. Chi DT Rankins
12. NO CB Hargreaves
13. Mia LB Ragland
14. Oak CB Apple
15. Ten OT Conklin
16. Det WR Treadwell
17. Atl LB Lee
18. Ind OT Decker
19. Buf QB Lynch
20. NYJ CB Jackson
21. Wash DT Reed
22. Hou WR Doctson
23. Min WR Fuller
24. Cin LB Jack
25. Pit TE Henry
26. Sea C Kelly
27. GB DT Robinson
28. KC CB Burns
29. Ariz S Joseph
30. Car CB Alexander
31. Den DT Jones

*** My prediction is Reggie Ragland at 13 for the Fins. The reason for my prediction is that the team feels the run defense is as bad as the pass defense and Ragland will help stop the run this year. Ragland will be viewed by Mike Tannenbaum as his new David Harris. Tannenbaum loves what David Harris brought to the Jets. Ragland is smart and will be a leader for the defense. While he is not great in coverage, he is not going to be terrible either. This move allows Kiko Alonso to move to WLB.

*** That said, what Hayden Fox do? I would sit at 13 and take either William Jackson or Eli Apple, with Jackson my preference. The team should get another long CB that can press opposite of Maxwell. Personally, what separates the two is Jackson's ball skills. I think the CB need is so dire that the Dolphins need go land the CB early and free up some flexibility for the rest of the draft.

I would also not trade up from 13. However, I could make the argument of drafting a front seven player at 13 and work my tail off to get back into the back part of RD1 for a CB. That approach if it cost me just my 2nd and 3rd, might work for me. Again, I want to see Miami let the board come to them this week.

*** IF, the Fins do not go CB at 13 and have to get one late RD1 or RD 2, there will be some names to pick through. Mackensie Alexander, KeiVarae Russell, Kendall Fuller (questionable fit) and Xavien Howard could be picked in the late part of RD1 or RD 2. Rashad Robinson (love him ON the field), Deiondre Hall and LeShaun Sims could be RD 3 picks.

Man Crush List: I highlighted some players that I really like and can come off the board at a variety of times during the draft. Again, have some fun and add the names you like and why. Plus, it is great for historical record.
QB:
Brandon Allen: Small hands, but seems to have got better. Spins it well.
RB:
Kenneth Dixon: He looks like Lamar Miller to me so much. Love this player and fit. I would try to draft Jackson at 13 and come back for Dixon in RD2.
Alex Collins: Chain mover. Rugged grinder. Love what I saw from him last fall.
WR
Sterling Shepard: One of my favorite players in the draft. Will play for a long, long time in the league. Instant impact if he hooks up with legit QB.
Tyler Boyd: Productive kid in college. I think he translates.
Kolby Listenbee: Injured, but flies,
DeMarcus Robinson: Flies, but has a terrible rap sheet. Take a flier late?
TE
Hunter Henry: One of the safer picks in the draft. Great hands. Can block. What is not to like? Shocked there is not more buzz on him.
Thomas Duarte: Small, but I think he is an X Factor in the passing game. Happy to hear he came in for a visit.
OL
Joe Dahl: Versatile. Pass blocks well.
Graham Glasgow: Great East/West showing. Harbaugh was good for him. He can play center and guard. Not a bad fit.
Joe Thuney: Love the upside and potential.
DL
Brandon Kaufuski: Wide 9 guy. Great attitude. Can pass rush early on and fit in as a starter in 2017.
Emmanuel Ogbah: Love this kid. Productive speed rusher that has a high upside. Best football is still in front of him.
Sheldon Day: Tweener, but love the motor. Could help stop the run at DE on early downs and move inside on passing downs. Underrated.
Kenny Clark: This DT is getting lost in the shuffle. Has been coached up well and played at a high level. I think he helps a team right away.
LB
Deion Jones: Love the speed. He can help special teams on the outset. I think he plays early.
Jatavis Brown: If you like Jones, you should like Brown.
Josh Perry: High character kid. Hits hard. Smart. Has some physical limitations.
Travis Feeney: Athletic. Has a shot at playing WLB in the NFL.
Nick Kwiatkowski: Great tackler. Will make a team and contribute somehow.
CB
William Jackson: The player I would draft at 13. Starts immediately. High character. Best ball skills for a CB in this draft. Still has room to grow.
KelVarae Russell: Not nearly enough discussion about him because of an injury. However, I bet he goes a lot earlier than many are talking about.
Xavien Howard: Strong ball skills. Asked to do a lot at Baylor. Fits the long CB body-type Miami is looking for. Will need safety help early in his career.
Rashad Robinson: Turmoil off the field. On the field has a lot to be excited about. My guess is school was not for him, but getting paid to play football will be more to his liking.
Ken Crawley: Day 3 guy, but has some ability and is long and lean.
Cre'von LeBlanc: Fiesty nickel candidate and take a chance on late in the draft.
S
Karl Joseph: Kill me for this, but if his medicals checked out, I would think about him at 13. Play maker. Will bailout CB's.
Deon Bush: I like this former Cane. I always liked his instincts and stuck his nose around the ball.
Justin Simmons: Smart, athletic safety that could work his way into the starting lineup early in his career.
Jordan Lomax: Tough kid that might not get drafted, but has is built like a tank and is athletic. Could be worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack slides to 24? No interest from you at 13? I know the front office did a lot of research on him. I personally would love to see him slide to us.

not really how I'd like to see the draft go (want Miami to have a few more options), but what I see likely. Jack, Hargreaves, Zeke all off the table when the Dolphins pick.
Think Miami goes William Jackson over Eli Apple.

Screen_Shot_2016_04_25_at_12_10_37_AM.png

For the record, I don't consider myself an expert and I was merely going by a few mock drafts I have been looking at, as well as listed "team needs" for each team.

1) Los Angeles - QB Jared Goff, California
2) Philadelphia - QB Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
3) San Diego - OT Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss
4) Dallas - CB Jalen Ramsey, Florida State
5) Jacksonville - OLB Myles Jack, UCLA
6) Baltimore - OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
7) San Francisco - DE Joey Bosa, Ohio State
8) Cleveland - RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State
9) Tampa Bay - CB Vernon Hargreaves III, Florida
10) NY Giants - OLB Leonard Floyd, Georgia
11) Chicago - OL Jack Conklin, Michigan State
12) New Orleans - DE DeForest Buckner, Oregon
13) Miami - CB Eli Apple, Ohio State
14) Oakland - ILB Reggie Ragland, Alabama
15) Tennessee - CB William Jackson III, Houston
16) Detroit - WR LaQuon Treadwell, Ole Miss
17) Atlanta - DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson
18) Indianapolis - OLB Darron Lee, Ohio State
19) Buffalo - DE Kevin Dodd, Clemson
20) NY Jest - QB Paxton Lynch, Memphis
21) Washington - DT A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama
22) Houston - DE Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma State
23) Minnesota - WR Will Fuller, Notre Dame
24) Cincinnati - DL Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss
25) Pittsburgh - OG Cody Whitehair, Kansas State
26) Seattle - OT Le'Raven Clark, Texas Tech
27) Green Bay - DT Andrew Billings, Baylor
28) Kansas City - WR Corey Coleman, Baylor
29) Arizona - S Keanu Neal, Florida
30) Carolina - CB Mackensie Alexander, Clemson
31) Denver - DE Noah Spence, Eastern Kentucky

Jack slides to 24? No interest from you at 13? I know the front office did a lot of research on him. I personally would love to see him slide to us.
Report: Myles Jack’s stock could drop with ‘chondral defect in his right knee’
Read more at http://sportsnaut.com/2016/04/report-myles-jack-chondral-defect-right-knee/#dOm9j1l0sgbbfwjA.99
One of the top storylines heading into the NFL Draft has been the health of UCLA linebacker Myles Jack. Now just days before the first round kicks off in Chicago, Albert Breer of NFL Network is reporting that Jack’s knee has a “chondral defect.”
Dug a little — Per sources, issue for UCLA LB Myles Jack is a chondral defect in his right knee. Problem it'll be for him is up for debate.
— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) April 24, 2016
Breer also reported that teams outside of the top 10 are researching the injury thinking the linebacker could fall to them. That said, some executives have said that they are not worried about it.

Read more at http://sportsnaut.com/2016/04/report-myles-jack-chondral-defect-right-knee/#v0Fl0RwXLdgZHF1S.99

Just my quick thought on Reggie Ragland. I get that some are skeptical on him being a 3 down backer and his possible shortcomings in coverage, but dang the kid is an old school thumper that nobody is gonna wanna get hit by. He has good football IQ, and plays angles well. I've seen plays where he does, in fact, show some skills in coverage too. I guess I'm saying if we take him, even though he isn't my first choice for us, I can still be happy. Never hurts to have a guy like this on your defense. A leader, a run stuffer and playmaker. Yeah, can we have one of those again please. If we take him though people will be critical of it, but if a team takes him just behind us like Raiders or Titans it will be "an amazing pick." If GB gets him it will be oh the "steal of the draft."

Mine did not turn out anything like I expected. Weird how that happens. Some guys got left out all together that I, offhand, wouldn't think would slip to round 2. This is what I am guessing teams would do, not what I would do. Dolphins pick is me trying to anticipate craziness of TBaum. Could end up a killer pick though. I'd still prefer Jackson III there I think.
draft.png
draft2.png

Love the Ragland pick. If Elliot and Hardgreaves are off the board i think Ragland give you the best value and upgrades 2 position by putting him down the middle and putting Alonso on the outside. RB and CB are deep in this draft and can be had in the second and third and even possibly the forth... so no reason a reach in the first should be needed.

not really how I'd like to see the draft go (want Miami to have a few more options), but what I see likely. Jack, Hargreaves, Zeke all off the table when the Dolphins pick.
Think Miami goes William Jackson over Eli Apple.

Screen_Shot_2016_04_25_at_12_10_37_AM.png

I actually agree about Jackson over Apple...I believe he is the playmaker of these corners.

I could see a D-lineman as well...Rankins is a possibility as is Lawson.

I don't see Ragland as the pick at all...especoally with Alonso in the fold.

A DT rotation of Nkemdiche, Suh and Phillips would be quite nasty.. Cause mayhem with front 4, let LB's and Corners clean up.

Trench Warfare

1. LA QB Goff
2. Phi QB Wentz
3. SD OT Tunsil
4. Dal S Ramsey
5. Jax LB Jack
6. Balt DE Bosa
7. SF DE Buckner
8. Cle OT Stanley
9. TB CB Hargreaves
10. NYG RB Elliot
11. Chi LB Floyd
12. NO DT Rankins
13. Mia CB Apple
14. Oak CB Jackson III
15. Ten OT Conklin
16. Det WR Treadwell
17. Atl LB Lee
18. Ind DE Lawson
19. Buf DT Nkemdiche
20. NYJ QB Lynch
21. Wash DT Robinson
22. Hou WR Doctson
23. Min WR Fuller
24. Cin CB Alexander
25. Pit DT Reed
26. Sea C Kelly
27. GB LB Ragland
28. KC CB Burns
29. Ariz S Joseph
30. Car OT Decker
31. Den LB/DE Spence

I like the depth at CB in this draft which would normally be an argument for the Dolphins to wait to address the position, but I think they need a Day 1 starter and won't take a chance on a run of corners sinking their plans. I think the pick is Apple. All of his measurables check off, and he comes from a big time program. I think Joseph will be excited to get his hands on the kid and work on some technique weaknesses. I see a similar development curve to last year's consensus #1 corner, Trae Waynes. Apple will have to learn to keep his hands off the receiver after the intial jam, and also work on his awareness at the top of the receiver's route.

For the most part Hayden I enjoy reading your posts, but what the hell you been smokin' to have Jack slide past Miami and down to 24??? He isn't making it out of the top 10 let alone 15, even with all these rumors about his past injury.

For the most part Hayden I enjoy reading your posts, but what the hell you been smokin' to have Jack slide past Miami and down to 24??? He isn't making it out of the top 10 let alone 15, even with all these rumors about his past injury.

I bet you he slides out of the top ten.

I will preface this by saying I think there will be many draft day trades...

1. LA - Jared Goff
2. PHI - Carson Wentz
3. SD - Jalen Ramsey
4. DAL - Zeke Elliott
5. JAX - Myles Jack
6. BAL - Laremy Turnsil
7. SF - Ronnie Stanley
8. CLE - Joey Bosa
9. TB - Vernon Hargreaves
10. NYG - Reggie Ragland
11. CHI - Leonard Floyd
12. NO - DeForest Buckner