Help me Understand why DE Is such a big need.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Chubby, Apr 27, 2017.

1. DPhinz_DPhinz

DPhinz_DPhinz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

When he was blocked by AT Hall (17th ranked OT in CFB) he was handled quite nicely. He'll face better tackles on Sundays...hopefully he wont be a Dolphin...unless at 54.

2. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

GM Grier and HC Gase had the opportunity to fix the OL in FA.

There was a real god thread about find starting quality young FA ol for cheap during the beginning of free agency.

Instead Greir and Gase spent the money on a 3 WR and rotational (at best) DE.

Add-in the clusterflock due to Caroo tradeup and yes spending a number 1 for a starting DE and really additional DE depth is a huge vacancy.

3. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

That's such a piss poor response derived from stats in a vacuum.

4. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream A True Fan

Yes!! We absolutely need team speed on D.

It's almost embarassing to see us having our SS chasing wrs down the field like the bada$$ he is.

Reshad was a godsend pick

Thank the football gods he's back

5. Michael Scott

Michael Scott Well-Known Member

If we don't take a DE in the first round we will not be getting one at 54. None of the quality guys will make it. The best edge rusher on the board at that point might be DeMarcus Walker, and he would be a huge reach there. The only way I'm not drafting a DE in the first round is if Foster falls. Not even considering Reddick anymore -- he's a lock for top 15.

6. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member

Because Stanford was the only team they played last year....

7. Sons Of Shula

And Willis played quite well vs Stanford so I'm not even sure why that was brought up as negative.

8. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member

It was sarcasm. Willis played well against a lot of good teams last year. In the Big 12 that features lots of passing.

9. Sons Of Shula

I got your end of it, it was an indirect comment to the one who originally brought it up. :up:

10. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Just wondering and I know it doesn't matter but I'll ask anyway. What's the highest anyone has seen Willis going on all the mocks out there? I haven't seen anyone from ESPN or NFLN that has him going top 25 that I can think of and most don't even have him in the first round so I'm just curious

Ozzy rules!!

11. Michael Scott

If Charles Harris is there at 22 then there are going to be a lot of upset posters on this board. Guaranteed. The Dolphins are absolutely in love with him. I heard he's right after Foster and Reddick on their board.

12. Sons Of Shula

I've seen him late in the first, also has to do with the needs of those teams in the later part of the round who are looking elsewhere besides. I've also seen him mocked to us in one as well. Might have been th PFF mock, IIRC.

13. Michael Scott

Dallas at 28 is the highest I've seen Willis, but there are always at least a handful of players that teams have higher on their board than the "experts"

Other teams also reach for need.

14. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

Thanks guys. Like I said I know those mocks don't really matter plus as soon as we get two or 3 trades all those mocks will go to hell and then you really don't know who's going where. This is the year to draft a DE. Not saying reach far for one but someone should be there worth taking at 22. I hope is not Taco and I'm hoping for 3 or 4 QB, 3 WR's and 3 RB's to all go top 21 so that it'll push the DE's down

Ozzy rules!!

15. Sons Of Shula

At the end of the day, no one cares in which round where a player is drafted. When it's all said in done the question is, "how will he be used and where does he fit on your team?".

16. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Because statistically we were horrid against the run....not much better in the air either

17. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Nailed it. For those faulting Miami (with justification), a number of teams have players ranked higher than consensus and a number "reach" for need. Too many here want to think Miami is the only inept team in the league. For those hoping Miami drafts by THEIR evaluations/rankings, most should prepare for disappointment. My hope for the draft? No "reaches, no trades up, and position of need. Don't want ANY what-were-they-thinking.

18. Serik

Serik Well-Known Member

DE"s are worn out because we have no LB"s hitting the hole to help. Goes both ways. We need LB help immediately.

19. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

We need DE and DT depth and front 7 run stoppers in addition to pass-rush. That's why we should focus on position-flexible DL like McDowell or Charlton. They have the size to move inside and rush from there, plus they can set the outside edge on run downs. Both guys need to learn pass-rush moves but that's doable with coaching and mentoring.

It is so obvious.....

RW

20. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

If you're ordering your depth chart by payscale then your team is ****ed. And everyone should be fired.

21. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

Except they do. When will Tom Brady stop being a 6th round pick? Wake being undrafted? I guarantee everytime their name and draft are in the same sentence.

But if Willis blows up no one will say should've taken him 28th and not 22nd.

22. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

If that is true then you don't pick a 4-3 SAM OLB as he is a rotational player who comes off on 3rd down. You also don't pick a OG in round 1 because that where failed tackles play and you can get those in round 3 or 4.

DE, 4-3 MLB, Single High Safety, DT, OT, and CB are premium positions that you take round 1.

23. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Thank you. Round 1 is for premium position players with perennial pro bowl potential. I'm not taking a guard round 1 unless I'm convinced that he's a sure fire blue chip player, my skill positions are basically set and he is the best player on my board... Is that gonna be the case for us this year? Absolutely not. Our D is riddled with holes, INCLUDING at DE where there will be great talent available at 22.