henning quote------- i hate this man !! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

henning quote------- i hate this man !!

At this rate Marshall will have somewhere around 60-70 catches and 5-7 TDs

Reverse psychology maybe? Or was this quote taken out of context?

I think it's the latter. Here is the full quote:

“I don’t worry about how much (Henne) can hurt the other team. I worry about how much he can hurt my team,” said Henning. “We can’t win if we’re throwing interceptions, turning the ball over, fumbling and doing all those, what Tony calls, ‘minus plays.’ We avoid them, we practice avoiding them, but we’re always trying to hit the big play.”

Always? That's a mighty big word there Mr. Henning. Does always mean taking 2 or 3 deep shots a game (out of the 55-70 plays we run on offense)? Does always mean the run-to-pass ratio should be 3-to-1? Does always mean sending all of your receivers out on 5 yard patterns and hoping whoever catches the ball can break a tackle and gain 20 yards the majority of you pass plays?

Perhaps you, Mr. Henning, need to look up the definition of always...JMO.

The only thing I can say is that I HOPE all this is posturing for the Jets game making them think we'll play conservative Sunday night right before they let Henne play like he did last year in the Monday Nighter against the Jets. But this time with a more talented offense.

I don't sense a serious problem with Henning's play calling. I think there's a lack of execution going on. But overall Dan Henning, Chad Henne and the whole offense are swimming in different waters compared with a year ago and they've just got to get better at it. Teams are playing them different now that Marshall is on the team. A year ago with teams mostly playing single-high against you, you could afford oversimplification and conservatism versus the shell, cuz you'll still get opportunities to be aggressive when they go back to single-high. Now they're not going to single-high at all anymore and if you don't start learning to find and execute ways to be aggressive in passing against the shell, your offense looks pretty bland.

SOME of that has been play calling I think, but a lot of it has been execution. They called some pretty nice shell-buster pass plays against the Bills. The problem was they only executed well on one of them, the seam strike to Fasano over the middle. There was a nice flag route that Marshall ran that Henne overthrew. Good call, bad execution.

This was another of the items that pissed me off about the article. When was the last time we threw an intermediate crossing route or a skinny post 15 yards down the field. They just aren't part of his strategy. I think you leave alot of plays on the field and it really helps the defense out when you basically limit yourself to two philosophies on each play.

What happened to those intermediate routes. That's where if a receiver happens to break a tackle, cause he's normally just covered by a corner, it turns into a big gain. I miss those plays.

God, I so want to see David Lee run an offense. The personnel we have are perfect for a spread offense that's explosive in the passing game and hard-nosed in the running game, but Henning won't do it. Hell, when you come to it, our biggest innovation (the Wildcat) was David Lee's brainchild.

Thats a real Wanny philosophy right there, play not to lose.

Henning takes too much heat. If we could execute on offense nobody would care about playcalling. The fact is our offense has been inept so far. Sure Henning could try to throw more, but you could also say Henne should have done more with the opportunities he has had.

Guys, if we fall behind 14 and we get vanilla playcalling, then complain. But if we're winning, chill out!...too many impossible to satisfy fans. In the NFL there is no BCS, no coaches poll, nothing but W's and L's. All we can go on precedence, an I've mentioned it before, in each of the games last season where we fell behind by two or more scores in the first half, we threw more than 45 passes and over 300 yds. We have imposed our will two of two times this season and gotten the all-important W's. Would you rather spend the season complaining about how we win, or rejoicing that our franchise is looking up finally? To each his own, but I choose the latter. GO PHINS

Henning takes too much heat. If we could execute on offense nobody would care about playcalling. The fact is our offense has been inept so far. Sure Henning could try to throw more, but you could also say Henne should have done more with the opportunities he has had.

As far a Henne goes he's still in "Wax on, wax off" mode.

Back
Top Bottom