Here’s the latest on Lippett’s and Branch's rehab, T.J. McDonald’s legal situation and more | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here’s the latest on Lippett’s and Branch's rehab, T.J. McDonald’s legal situation and more

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The takeaways from their media availability:
▪ Cornerback Tony Lippett’s rehab from a torn Achilles is apace, and he is on track to participate in the off-season conditioning program and practices, which begin in April.
“I’ve been good, man. Grinding,” Lippett said. “It’s been intense, it’s been good. I learned a lot about my body. Getting better everyday.”
Lippett tore the tendon on a freak, untouched play in training camp. It was the most significant injury of his life, he said.
“I was going up to make a play on the ball, came down and something wasn’t right in my foot,” Lippett said.
If he indeed makes a full recovery, the Dolphins’ secondary will be better because of it. He will presumably compete with Cordrea Tankersley for the boundary corner spot opposite Xavien Howard.
▪ Speaking of the Dolphins’ secondary, T.J. McDonald was confident that his unresolved legal issue will not keep him off the field.
McDonald has yet to complete his community service obligations from a DUI plea deal in California, but said he will — thanks to an extension granted by the courts.
“I’m in the process of doing all of my community service and making sure I knock everything out,” said McDonald who added that reports he might be sent to jail over the delay “got a little bit out of hand.”
McDonald, who signed a big contract extension before the 2017 season, is able to serve the community time in South Florida. He said he has worked with the Boys and Girls Club, among other groups.
“It’s not a chore for me. I love it.”
▪ Defensive end Andre Branch, whose stepmother is a breast cancer survivor, happily shook hands and met with survivors Saturday.
As for his own health — he underwent surgery for an unspecified knee injury that hampered his production in 2017 — “the rehab’s going great. ... I’m ahead of schedule.”
Branch would not commit to being available for spring practice, however.
He said the surgery was “much needed.”
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article199491334.html

Everything is always roses in the offseason.

I have to disagree here. This is really good news.

I especially loved what we heard from Tony Lippett. If he is able to get his body in peak condition, he has all the other aspects to be an elite shutdown NFL CB.

Seriously, if he gets bigger,stronger,faster, there will be no stopping him. He has ball skills beyond elite. He has physical attributes that are beyond ideal. He is a very intelligent guy with football smarts and book smarts. Lippett kept a high GPA while excelling at WR and CB for Michigan State. His instincts are great.
If he wins a starting roll and is 110% he is a 5-9 interception guy.

I really hope they do some different things on defense this year so guys like Branch and Suh can get free to use their athleticism and strength. When the Dolphins do the same thing all the time on defense teams can scheme against our defenders strengths. The current scheme just stinks to high heaven.

I really hope they do some different things on defense this year so guys like Branch and Suh can get free to use their athleticism and strength. When the Dolphins do the same thing all the time on defense teams can scheme against our defenders strengths. The current scheme just stinks to high heaven.
I agree. We have to go to more of a conventional 4-3 and do different things off of that formation. The question is, Are the coaches smart enough to do that? So far, I would say no.

Lippett tore his Achilles.
Not sure about him getting faster after that.
Stronger and bigger, sure, but you don't really get faster after an achilles injury

Honestly the only thing more I want to hear about T.J.’s community service is he finished the requirements, continued good news on Lippett-always liked his potential.

Couldnt that be said of basically 75% of NFL players?

You don't get it? really? If you pay attention to his film in college and what he has done with the Dolphins so far, it is clear that this player is superior to his peers in many ways.

His body needs to do things as a CB that it didn't have to do as a WR. He has to have his core as strong as humanly possible to increase the speed of his back pedal and to move quickly in and out, and he has to increase his closing speed and his explosion down field when he misses the jam.

If he can accomplish these things physically he has everything else he needs to be elite.

It's good news to hear that these guys are on track and ready to contribute in 2018....we need them back bad.

Back
Top Bottom