Heres why CHRIS Long doesn't make sense at number 1,and JAKE Long does | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Heres why CHRIS Long doesn't make sense at number 1,and JAKE Long does

==========================================================
Chris Long-
Sure,he is a great player,probably one of the best motors in the draft.However,people are saying that he is too small to be an end in the NFL.And I'm thinking to myself...6'4 aint small...then someone pointed out his weight.....and I was like....oh yea thats true,he needs to be at least 290-300 pounds,and he he is only 272....and that also brought up another RED FLAG,I'm not saying that he is slow,but he isn't that fast,and adding another 20-30lbs. ain't helping,and is going to make him even slower(AGAIN IM NOT SAYING HE IS SLOW).Parcells and Sparano said that they want the players to fit the system,and Chris doesn't fit that,so I don't think its neccessary to draft him.

Also,another RED FLAG, is that if he is too small to be a DE,that he will have to play OLB.And Im just thinking to myself....who takes a LB that high?The last LB that high i think was Lavaar Arrington like 7-8 years ago,but that was at pick number two,but look what happened to him,an underacheiving career(IM NOT SAYING CHRIS LONG WILL HAVE THAT KIND OF CAREER).I just think that MIAMI will find good OLB's later in the draft,which is what Parcells and Ireland thrive on.Chris will be great to have,dont get me wrong,but,I think taking him 1st overall really doesnt make sense.If we go defense first,my vote is for the one and only,Vernon Gholston.
Jake Long-
He reaped on Monday at the combine.He only let 2 players past him when he played OT(let one by on the right,and let on by on the left).Jake played RT for the first two years at Michigan,and played the last two at LT.Jake is a Parcells player,6'7",315,excellent pass blocking skills,and adaquate run blocking skills.Jake put up 47 reps. at one point at 225,yet at the combine he only but up 10 less than that,still impressive though.Jake Long fills a need that no one on our current team cannot.Carey,IMO,belongs as a guard,best case scenerio a RT.He just isn't the answer at LT,he just doesnt have the "it" that requires player at LT,and I think that Jake does.
J.Long is a superior player than the number Tackle last year(J.Thomas), in all categories but one MOBILITY. Im sure he is going to be a great RT, but you dont pick a RT # 1.

Carey is considered a top 10 RT, but I dont think he play that good in the left side. WHY-Mobility.

Yeah I know what you said..but I'd take a 272 pound highly athletic Chris Long at DE in a 3-4 anyday.
I'd also take Jake too..I'd be happy with either pick.

I think you got Chris Long confused with Vernon Gholston,Chris Long is NOT high athletic...he is athletic...but definately not high athletic....

If the fins take Chris Long at #1 overall, it wont be to play DE, it will be OLB. In a 3-4, your playmakers are the OLBs. You dont give gap defending DEs 60 million. You give that to your OLBs.

I have nothing against Jake Long, I think he would be a great pick also.... but if you are going to do a compare/contrast of who is the better pick, please dont use "he is too small to play DE" as reason because he wouldnt play DE here.

Another RED FLAG that your comparison is weak is:

And I'm thinking to myself...6'4 aint small...then someone pointed out his weight.....and I was like....oh yea thats true,he needs to be at least 290-300 pounds,and he he is only 272....and that also brought up another RED FLAG,I'm not saying that he is slow,but he isn't that fast,and adding another 20-30lbs. ain't helping,and is going to make him even slower(AGAIN IM NOT SAYING HE IS SLOW).

If you didnt know his size, chances are you dont pay attention to college football or the combine at all. Someone who JUST found out about his size really isnt educated enough to tell me why he would be a bad choice at #1 because obviously you know nothing about the guy! And his speed, compare his 40 times to others and you will see that a 4.71 (4.75) for a 6'3, 272 lb guy is pretty good!

Another RED FLAG that you really dont know what you are talking about is you suggest that "another 20 to 30 lbs will make him slower. Which is horribly wrong for a few points:

1) Since when is SPEED the most important factor for a 3-4 DE? (Im assuming thats what you mean because for him to be a DE, he would need to add 20-30 lbs to play in the 3-4) 3-4 DE's are GAP DEFENDERS, not pass rushers. PLUS, compare his 40 time to other DEs. Its pretty good.

2) If you look at his frame, Chris Long doesnt have the body to add another 20-30 lbs. He looks maxxed out at his size. Could he add the weight and be a fatso, sure, but no team would do that. Why? Look at Matt Roth. Drafted as a 3-4 DE, 6'4, 272 lbs (sounds just like Long eh?) Roth went full an entire season his rookie year then an offseason then another entire season. After all that, he is 280ish and is very undersized for a 3-4 DE.

3) Of course additional weight will make him slower.... heck, it will make anyone slower. Could he even gain 50 lbs and play NT? Sure! But the bottom line is NO TEAM would do that! The guy is a talent and has a great motor and has the speed and skillset to play 3-4 OLB with great size, or he can be a 4-3 DE.

Its nice discussion to have a compare contrast as to who you take at #1, but if you are going to make it, at least know what you are talking about and know the players you are talking about.

Your best argument would be not to give 60 million to a linebacker because you feel we can get one in the later rounds..... not that the guy doesnt have the size to play a position he wouldnt even play here in Miami.

J.Long is a superior player than the number Tackle last year(J.Thomas), in all categories but one MOBILITY. Im sure he is going to be a great RT, but you dont pick a RT # 1.

Carey is considered a top 10 RT, but I dont think he play that good in the left side. WHY-Mobility.

I doubt Jake is going to play RT.Give me 5 reason why he cannot?

I can give you 5 reasons why he can....

1-Strength

2-Awareness

3-Great Pass Blocker

4-Blocks With A Mean Attitude

5-Makes Other Linemen Better

Mel Kiper Jr.,Todd McShay,several draft posts and NFL Live,multiple ESPN shows said he can play LT,so why would he not,he could get $35M to do it,I doubt he attempts not too

Another thing is the Sparano and Mike Maser(OL Coach),can teach the O-Line pretty darn good,and I think he can make Jake Long into a LT(although I already think he is a LT...actually I think he can play both....he played LT for the last two years or his 4 years in a pretty hard conference,it kinda hard not to want this guy,even looking past his physical traits.....

How about Ryan Clady he has more potential to be a LT than Jake Long.

1-Strength

2-Awareness

3-Great Pass Blocker

4-Blocks

First, you only listed 4 reasons.

Second, arent #3 and #4 the same exact thing.

Third, you only really need 1 solid reason why someone cant play a position.

If a WR has great speed, great route running, great size, great strength, but cant catch the ball, theres 4 reasons why he can play WR, but one GIANT important one as to why he cant. :lol:

1-Strength

2-Awareness

3-Great Pass Blocker

4-Blocks With A Mean Attitude

5-Makes Other Linemen Better

Mel Kiper Jr.,Todd McShay,several draft posts and NFL Live,multiple ESPN shows said he can play LT,so why would he not,he could get $35M to do it,I doubt he attempts not too

Another thing is the Sparano and Mike Maser(OL Coach),can teach the O-Line pretty darn good,and I think he can make Jake Long into a LT(although I already think he is a LT...actually I think he can play both....he played LT for the last two years or his 4 years in a pretty hard conference,it kinda hard not to want this guy,even looking past his physical traits.....

He is not a great pass blocker, his strength is run blocking.

I see C. Long as 4-3 DE...more than any other position.
Thats a valid reason, much better than the original posters reason why we shouldnt draft him.

I think in the pros, Chris Long is a better 4-3 DE over a 3-4 DE based on his size and skillset..... however, I think he can also excel as a SOLB. His head coach, Al Groh, said Long's best pro position was going to be OLB.

Al Groh > Anyone else on here.

People get over the size issue because if we followed the so called "guidelines'' we would of NEVER had the pleasure of having a Zach Thomas or Jason Taylor playing for us.I look for a player with a passion for the game and I do believe Chris Long fits that mold to a tee as did Jason and Zach.

If we picked Chris or Jake Long I would be happy either way

I think you got Chris Long confused with Vernon Gholston,Chris Long is NOT high athletic...he is athletic...but definately not high athletic....

I disagree, I think he's very athletic for a 272 pounder...athletic enough to play OLB. He moves like a LB.

I would agree 100% if I believed that Jake Long was a Pro Bowl caliber left tackle. Since I don't believe he is that caliber of player, I don't believe Jake should even be in the equation at #1 Overall.

Miami is in a tough spot, especially since the best player in the draft and the only guy I though legitimately made a lot of sense with the first pick, Glenn Dorsey, showed to have some medical red flags.

Back
Top Bottom