Hey Henne haters, take a look at P. Mannings 1st year game by game stats and shut up!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TheDon74, Nov 30, 2009.

1. TheDon74

TheDon74 42.7% of all statistics are made up

In his 1st 6 starts he managed 6td and 14int with a 56.9 passer rating. Guess he wasn't the future huh? No offence but some of you are morons.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/gamelog/

EDIT: Because there are people in this world that need warnings labels telling them that coffee is hot I apparently need to go back and add this disclaimer to the thread.

This is not about comparing Henne to Manning, its just pointing out that young QB's even the greats have rough starts to their careers. So be patient and let the guy take his lumps before you pass judgment. A year from now we will have a better idea what we have in him.

2. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

I have no problem with Henne and believe he is the future. The only problem with Henne is:

1) A baffoon calling the plays.
    2) No #1 WR or any deep threat whatsoever.
    3) A complete baffoon calling the plays.

Henne seems to get along well with Lee.. everytime Henne is on the sidelines we see him and lee going over the coverages.. IMO they have a very good rapport.. That being said, IMO Lee would be a much better OC than that other moron

3. zicofirol

zicofirol A True Fan

agree, henning needs to be retired and lee promoted...

4. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

I like Henne, but this arguement is as dumb as people who say he is a bust. Because Peyton Manning did it means Henne will? There are more qb's who start bad and end that way, then turn into Peyton Manning.

5. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

lol at comparing Henne to Manning...

6. TheDon74

I didn't say that he was the next Manning, the point is that early on even the great ones have some bumps in the road and take their lumps.

7. atomdomb

atomdomb Active Member

no doubt. really. you could just as easily compare him to ryan leaf. nice job picking the second best qb of all time to compare him to.:up:

8. Bta72dolphins

Bta72dolphins A True Fan

the differnce between Manning and henne is the colts FO and head coach put the right 10 people around him something the dolphins has been doing awful at sense 1980.

9. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

This is like comparing apples to dump trucks. We can't compare what Henne has done to what other QBs have done, we need to compare Henne to Henne. Is he growing every week? Is he making the same mistakes? Is he starting to do the little things to elevate his game to the next level? One thing I want see him do is move around more in the pocket and keep plays alive, this will eliminate interceptions like we saw yesterday, and it will also decrease his sack count. Once he starts moving forward more in the pocket and less lateral or back, bigger plays will develop.

Comparisons are just bad because no 2 guys are in the same position unless they are playing for the same team. I could easily claim Henne is a bust because in his second year Tom Brady went 11-3 in the regular season, 3-0 in the post seasaon with a Superbowl win and Superbowl MVP.

Every body is entitled to their opinion it doesn't make them a moron. Henne had a lot of question marks coming out of college and to just ignore the mistakes he makes during the game is wrong. He had a HORRIBLE game yesterday PISS POOR!!!! So what it was bound to happen the greatest QBs in the history of the league had PISS POOR games. Now the question is does he learn and grow from it?

10. TheDon74

Well again let me just add I'm not comparing the two but on to your point. Last time I checked Parcells, Ireland and Sparano haven't been here since 1980 hell we don't even have the same owner as we did last year so I don't really follow your point.

11. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

Peyton Manning also took chances and that is why his interception total was so high. Henne is throwing mostly short to medium routes. He is getting high percentage throw but is comp percentage is south of 60. If Henne was slinging the ball around I wouldn't mind a few picks, but he is trying to play it safe and yet still has more int than TDs.

With that being said I have seen some good things out of Henne, and I believe he will be a decent QB in the league. I don't know if he is the future, but he has been better than a lot of other QBs we have brought through here.

12. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

You created this thread why?

We all want Henne to succeed. The fact of the matter is we don't have enough of a sample size to make a decision on him one way or the other.

Like it or not, we are going to see him as the starting QB for the remainder of this season and all of next season baring an injury or a complete collapse in terms of his performance.

I see nothing so far to tell me he will be "special" nor do I see anything that is a complete show stopper...

Let's see if he can rebound next week... If he tanks the remainder of the season I will be officially concerned.

flynryan15 likes this.
  13. TheDon74

See all you did was bring up intelligent questions about Hennes development and I'm not talking about that. Of course we should say the guy had a bad game and dissect his growth and set backs. Thats not what I'm talking about, I'm talking to the (imo) morons that are saying we should bench him and see what we have in White and that he's a bust and not the answer. (I'm not saying he is the answer but there is no way to know yet if he is or isn't)

14. napsndreds

napsndreds A True Fan

You said the same thing about John Beck.

15. TheDon74

No offence 'bla bla bla' but I've read a lot of the threads you have started or responded to and in all honesty could care less what your opinion on this thread or football in general is. I would sooner ask my 6yr old niece what she thought rather then ask you. Like I said no offence.

16. flynryan15

Well there are a lot of (as you call them) morons on here that claim Pat White is a bust. The thing is there are a lot of question marks surrounding both of their development as QBs. I think one thing Henne needs to work on is continuing to step up and move forward in the pocket. This will eliminate the interceptions and error throws we saw yesterday. The mistake I see him continue to make is rush the throw, which allows the defender to pressure him. If he just keeps moving forward the pressure will collapse behind him and he will have giant passing lanes.

17. flynryan15

Beck was a no brainer there was just something about him that screamed BUST!

18. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

You can't say no offense and then proceed to blast out an offensive personal attack. lol

19. TheDon74

Yeah why don't you go back and find that in my history liar? Seeing that I joined in Jan of this year tell me how I managed that.

20. Bta72dolphins

Bta72dolphins A True Fan

im not saying that parcells and co have been here sense 1980. I am saying the dolphins franchise has. What i am saying is every year it is either we do not have a good wr core, or we do not have a good defense, or a good oline, or a good running game, or our whole team sucks. I am just so sick of seeing the wrong 53 roster being created, especialy the pat white pick.

21. TheDon74

I know, I always think it's funny when people say that so I threw it in there.

22. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

Take shots at me to draw attention away from the fact that your argument is flawed...

Let me guess, smoke machines, mirrors, and Ninja flash grenades are next?

lol

You can't start a thread comparing the first 7 starts if Manning vs. Henne then claim "o but I am not comparing QB's"

Anyone could conjure up a multitude of similar "first year QB comparisons" for QB's that went on to suck as a counter argument.

You are simply pointing out the EXCEPTION rather than the rule.

Henne is what he is at this point; mediocre at best.

Hopefully he will improve...

23. TheDon74

Well I knew you weren't saying that I was being facetious. I don't buy into all that "this franchise has been (fill in the blank) for years" It has no baring on whats going on now with the staff we have on hand. Same goes for betting trends that people date back 10 or 15 years. How can you compare two completely different staffs and rosters and suggest the same results will occur.

24. BGtoKNfor6

BGtoKNfor6 Where is the reset button?

Let's see here...

Manning was horrible his first year and didn't do much until they drafted Reggie Wayne. Then we have dallas clark, marcus pollard, Anthony Gonzales, on yeah and future HOF'er in Marvin Harrison.

Then we have Henne..Let's see..

Devon Bess
    Brian Hartline
    Ted Ginn
    Greg Camarillo
    Anthony Fasano
    Joey Haynos

Wow, what a group of guys that really put fear into the heart of defender

Simply put, Henne has done an awesome job of protecting the ball. This last game, 2 of the pics were the result of the qb'ing getting hit during his throwing motion, resulting in errant throws. We all know that this is a huge mechanics flaw only in Henne. All qb's in the NFL, when they get hit, make completions, especially 30 yards down field. Get a clue homers. The last pic was a batted ball that was picked off by the lineman. I know, I know...Henne should have spun around and switched hands and thrown the ball with his other arm to complete the pass....

25. TheDon74

First of all who lol's their own joke?

Your point that I compared Manning and Henne is whats flawed. If I was compairing the two I would have also linked to Hennes 1st 6 game stats as well. I was simply making the point that just because someone put's up bad game stats early on doesn't mean they can't still turn into great QB's, I was only using Manning as an exsample of this.

I'm not suggesting Henne will ever be Manning I'm only putting it out there that after 6 games you can't pre judge what a guy will be down the road. This is in responce to the people saying he's a bust and calling for his benching.

26. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

It was good comedy. :)

27. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Or some who hae slow starts, like say like maybeeeeee...

Drew Brees??? A bust initially in San Diego, now a bonafide BEAST of a QB?

28. clownfish

clownfish A True Fan

Tell that to Detroit Lions fans. This thread sucks. You're not changing anyone's mind about Henne by comparing his first 8 games to Peyton Manning's first year. People can watch the games and have their own opinions without the Don trying to steer them in the "right" direction. Some of us think Henne is the future still after yesterday (and I am still one of them), while others will always play the lets-start-the-backup-QB-no-matter-who-they-are card. Get over it.

29. eswickl1

eswickl1 Rookie

Henne sucks and will continue to lose us games till someone finally realizes he's not the future

30. gofins

gofins another MD finfan

Wow! That guy Manning is going to suck!

31. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

:up: I would have no problem with this, in fact, that is the exact person I hope they promote, we don't need to start with a new Coordinator, get someone that's already aware of our Offense, and can add something possitive to it, instead of putting in a severely undersized, confused Rookie QB that just continues to hinder the progress of our offense instead of helping it, just for the sole purpose to prove he was a good pick in the 2nd round.

It's looking like it's time for Henning to hang um up, his career as grandpa might be more successful for him.

32. DannyX18

DannyX18 Well-Known Member

According to some experts here if he doesn't throw for 25-30 425 yards 5 TD's 0 picks every game then he isn't our franchise QB. :(

33. eger

eger Starter

Like I said in a previous thread:

Henne is good at managing a football game, I'll give him that (great for a backup QB or if we have a big lead). But as far as winning, finishing, and putting points on the board he leaves a lot to be desired.

Hopefully he continues to improve so he can take it to the next level. Most interceptions and incompletions were due to the DL putting pressure on Henne and dropped balls. It will be interesting to see when we actually have good WR's how well he plays, until we have proven WR's we'll never know.

34. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

D.Lee to OC and C.Pennington to QB coach!!!

35. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

What IS wrong with some of you guys? The op was not saying Henne is as good as Manning, he is saying many good qb's start of very slow, and that having a bad game is not the end of the world, especially in this case.

Henne is one of the last guys I blame for what has happened.

36. RealityBites

RealityBites Realistic Fan

Heck Yeah! :woot:

37. phinfan3411

phinfan3411 pofo mofo

Gosh, cannot argue with that STELLAR logic.

Please list the huge amount of names of QB's that were killing it by their 8th frigin start......

I will help you out, Marino, Rothlesberger.....hmmmm

I will be waiting for your long list, fact is that it takes a while for people to begin to play great at the hardest position in sports, not to mention a wr or two.

38. Dphins4me

Dphins4me A True Fan

Check out John Elways '83 & '84 season. Why anyone is upset at Henne for yesterday is naive. Henne is progessing just fine & at the moment is a solid Qb prospect for the future. The people upset must believe Qb never play poorly, which Henne while not playing great yesterday, did not play poorly.

39. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

When Henne starts posting more than 150 yards passing a game, then we can start getting excited. There is no comparison between young QB's like Stafford, Freeman, and the (then young) Manning. You can tell by the way these guys make plays that they will become great QB's once they start making mistakes. Manning threw for 300 yards in his first start. Henne hasn't shown the capability of making enough plays in a game to get close to that.

Besides the Jets game, the only real highlights that you can take from Henne so far is that you can say he atoned for otherwise pedestrian performances by mounting a couple game winning drives. But one drive a game doesn't make a great QB, and we've seen in games like the Saints game, Chargers game, and Bills where Henne hasn't mounted those game winning drives. Maybe if he could be more consistent in moving the chains (with the help of a completely dominant running game) and didn't throw so many passes 15 to 20 yards downfield to nobody in particular, then we would be able to put teams like the Bucs and Bills in their place.

With pretty much every great QB out there, they displayed some kind of great playmaking ability throughout the mistakes. Henne hasn't displayed real playmaking ability, he just displays a rocket arm while seemingly not having any real idea on how to use it (kind of like Byron Leftwich).

I just don't subscribe to the idea that experience will magically teach Henne how to make the plays that he hasn't shown the touch or awareness to make so far. Not coming from a website where many posters wanted to push a QB who took a one win team from a year before and won a talented division, because they tried to tell me that he was the one holding back this team from greatness and that the guy behind him was going to be better because he had a stronger arm.

40. BGtoKNfor6

BGtoKNfor6 Where is the reset button?

Ask Marino, Moon and Fouts how all those yards worked out. So just because a qb doesn't throw for 300 yards, he now sucks? I fail to even remotely subscribe to that logic. Now if miami was to get a perennial probowl tight end and number one wideout, then we can talk but not now.

I mean do we forget he is throwing to what many consider to be NFL scrubs? Seriously...

41. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

Why don't you read a post closely before criticizing it for something that it doesn't even claim. I used Manning throwing for 300 yards in his first start to illustrate his obvious playmaking potential.

I'm well aware that Henne has been held back at times by his WR corps. That doesn't mean that he hasn't left his share of plays on the field by throwing passes that just aren't thrown well enough for any receiver, scrub or not, to catch them. Every QB does this occasionally, but Henne seems to sputter way too freaking often in the middle of the games (when we have leads) when he should be just moving the chains and maintaining the lead. Colts game aside, our problems with teams coming back in the second half have as much to do with our offense not staying on the field and maintaining drives as they do with the defense being bad.

Chad Pennington was able to maintain a consistent passing attack from week 3 on, except for against the Ravens. And this was with the same set of scrub WR's that are on the field now as well as a running game that, wildcat gimmicks aside, really wasn't effective at moving the chains as the hype would make you believe.

Like it or not, Chad Henne isn't better than Chad Pennington, a so-called limited QB, and experience isn't guaranteed to magically make him better.

42. reddbaron

reddbaron Supa Dupa.

Manning won fewer games in the entire season than Henne has in his half a season, with better receivers. Give the kid a ****ing break. You expect to have 40 TD's and 5 INT's in his first start with a ****ty team receiver core? You give him one more year and a decent receiver and then you ****in decide how he's doing. How can you call yourself Fin fans and bash every ****in player every day?

43. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Well-Known Member

Once you get past 3rd grade reading comprehension you'll better understand the meaning of this thread. :crazy:

44. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I'm not trying to throw Henne under a bus and I'm not rooting against him. I'm just giving a word of warning because I've seen this type of situation with a young QB play out countless times all over the league, and to make the assumption that experience alone is going to transform him from a pedestrian, decent QB to a franchise QB is naive, just like assuming that his strong arm would instantly transform our offense because Pennington was the thing that was holding every player on this offense back.

Please don't throw me in with the "start Pat White" or Tyler Thigpen lot, I'm not that delusional.

45. Marino420TD

Marino420TD Seasoned Veteran

This pretty well sums it up. So far Henne has shown that could be a Jon Kitna or Trent Dilfer. He's young, he should get better, he will put up better numbers with better receivers. However, I don't really see this guy getting to that iconic "franchise QB" tag. Fingers crossed, but I haven't seen that yet.

46. Coltsfan8663

Coltsfan8663 Child Please.....

Please don't remind me of that year.:crazy:

47. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Let's not run here, he has been here 6 or 7 games and he has done a good job, so let's see what happens

48. DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler A True Fan

How about Dan Marino's first year? LoL

49. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

Henne is hamstrung by poor receivers and a near outdated offensive philosophy. He's being instructed to play it safe too much and do exactly as he is told. The Parcells MO is to run the ball often, shorten the game, convert 3rd and shorts, score in the 20s and have a fresh 4th quarter defense close out the game.

This philospohy worked last year when we had the wildcat working, Pennington managing the conversions, and strong 4th quarter finishes.

Unfortunately this year, it's not working, but it is more of a talent issue than anything else. Henne is also nowhere near the manager Pennington is. We don't have the receivers that can make great grabs, an offensive philospophy that attacks through the air, or defense that can hold back any passing game.

Henne has been decent but nowhere near as good as I would have hoped. I'd take his mediocre stats if he had flashed 8/10 the talent Manning has. I don't care what Manning's stats were his first year. I saw a franchise Qb and a system. Henne is no system and will never be with this regime.

50. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

I don't hate Henne. I like him.

However, this way of making a point is proven to be flawed.

We've tried this with Jason Allen and Ted Ginn.

While it has a certain ammount of merit, it's inherently flawed.